What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Frank Gore - still in the NFL at 65. (1 Viewer)

I'm in a lot of trouble in Week 15 of one league. I have a bye, overall points lead by quite a bit, yet I probably have to start one of Mostert, Wilson, Gore, or Barber as an RB2 while flexing a WR in some into some tough competition. Gibson's injury hurts. Ouch. 
Mostert of those listed.

NFL Network's Ian Rapoport reports "there is optimism" that Jets RB Frank Gore (concussion) will play in Week 14 against the Seahawks. 

Rapsheet added that "it depends on him clearing a final hurdle this morning." Jets coach Adam Gase will run Gore into the backs of his lineman at least 10 times this week but that doesn't mean much on one of the worst offenses in football. He's nothing more than a desperation RB4 for the off chance he finds the end zone this week.

SOURCE: Ian Rapoport on Twitter

Dec 13, 2020, 9:07 AM ET

Frank Gore (concussion) will play in Week 14 against the Seahawks.

Gore's availability kills any excitement for Ty Johnson, who handled 24 of the team's 32 backfield touches once the veteran exited with a concussion in Week 13. Coach Adam Gase will likely lean on Gore for 20-plus meaningless touches against Seattle.

Dec 13, 2020, 2:46 PM ET

Jets coach Adam Gase said he "won't" bench Frank Gore this season.

Ty Johnson rushed for 104 yards against the Raiders in Week 13, but Gase attributed that performance to the "O-line and opponent," claiming he leaned on Gore against Seattle since it "presented different challenges." Gore of course did nothing, averaging 2.8 yards per carry on a backfield-high nine touches. It's been made clear that Gase doesn't prefer efficiency and explosiveness from his running backs, cementing Gore at the head of the table among that group (no matter the outcome) for the rest of the year.

SOURCE: Rich Cimini on Twitter

Dec 14, 2020, 2:17 PM ET

Frank Gore rushed 23 times for 59 yards and a touchdown in the Jets' Week 15 win over the Rams, adding a six-yard reception. 

Ty Johnson capped the Jets' opening drive with an 18-yard touchdown reception. He got seven total touches. Coach Adam Gase committed to Gore come hell or high water, and the result was, somehow, the Jets' first victory of 2020. 37-year-old Gore — whom people might end up forgetting was a phenomenal player in his prime — continued to display absolutely zero juice, but Gase could not curb his addiction. It gives Gase plausible deniability that he wasn't trying to give up on Gang Green's Trevor Lawrence tank. The Rams were just even worse today. Gore will be a low-floor, nonexistent-ceiling RB4 for Week 16 against the Browns' tough run defense. 

- Rotoworld

Last edited by a moderator:
Frank Gore is quite literally the textbook definition now of a compiler.  He will be the eventual least best player to ever make the NFL Hall of Fame. 

Jets coach Adam Gase said Frank Gore (lung contusion) won't play in Week 17 against the Patriots.

The 37-year-old again led the Jets in carries on Sunday but suffered a season-ending lung contusion in-game. It's possible this marks the end of Gore's historic 16-year career, but we'll believe that when we see it; there are some rumors he's looking to play until his son, Frank Gore Jr., is eligible to declare for the NFL draft in 2023. Whatever the case, 2020 will close as Gore's 16th consecutive season with 500-plus rushing yards and 125-plus rushing attempts (both NFL records), ultimately leaving him just 726 yards shy of second all-time behind Walter Payton (16,726) for the most rushing yards in league history. Gore, 38 in May, will likely already have decided to return for his 17th season before the clock turns another year.

SOURCE: Rich Cimini on Twitter

Dec 28, 2020, 2:08 PM ET

Frank Gore said he could return for a 17th NFL season. 

The only question remaining is whether Gore, 37, will play alongside his son, Frank Gore, Jr., who is eligible for the NFL draft in 2023. 2020 was Gore's 16th consecutive season with 500-plus rushing yards and 125-plus rushing attempts (both NFL records). Perhaps Adam Gase can bring him to his next landing spot. 

SOURCE: Adam Schefter on Twitter 

Jan 5, 2021, 9:41 AM ET

Quoting one of my favorite movies.

"Never stop. Never stop fighting 'til the fight is done." Good for Frank Gore. His spirit and determination are unparalleled in modern sport, it seems. He'll go out there and give you a running back for hire, that's for sure.

Good for him.

I hope he has at least some boxing skills, otherwise he will just be a punching bag.  He certainly doesn't have to prove his toughness to me.  Protect your chin, Frank.

That’s crazy. While everyone tries to land cushy jobs as announcers / agents / coaches when they retire, only frank gore would try the MMA at his age. This guy is truly the opposite of injury prone. 

That’s crazy. While everyone tries to land cushy jobs as announcers / agents / coaches when they retire, only frank gore would try the MMA at his age. This guy is truly the opposite of injury prone. 
There’s no questioning the man’s toughness and he should be admired for that.

Hopefully this is just a one off fight because after getting his brains bashed in as an NFL RB all those years, getting punched in the head doesn’t seem like a wise second career.

Signs a 1 day contract with SF and hangs em up. 

https://www.sportsnet.ca/nfl/article/frank-gore-retiring-after-signing-one-day-contract-with-49ers?fbclid=IwAR3--9nrcfWfYRB2Taj1WsT7Ca3RgHeU5pyBnfZfMSXtgA7Jz5kM79uRidc

Now that is done - is he a HOF?

He has more rushing yards (16,000) than all but 2 players in NFL history (Emmitt and Sweetness being the other 2).  - There are 14 other players with less yards than him that are also enshrined.

He holds 5 NFL records:

Most seasons with 1,200 yards from scrimmage: 12

Most consecutive seasons with at least 500 yards rushing: 16

Most consecutive seasons with at least 600 yards rushing: 14

Most consecutive seasons with at least 700 yards rushing: 13 (tied with Emmitt Smith)

Most career games by an NFL running back: 241

He was also named to the 2010's all decade team

I say yes, maybe not first ballot but yes eventually. 

First ballot to the hall of very good

I won't be surprised if he makes the hall of fame because it really is amazing how long he played and still played pretty well, but he wasn't really dominant, and he wasn't part of any great teams.  After the alex smith/kaep years in sf he pretty much just went to teams that needed a stop-gap. It was an impressive career but every year they nominate a ton of guys with more impressive careers.  Tough but i say no

I won't be surprised if he makes the hall of fame because it really is amazing how long he played and still played pretty well, but he wasn't really dominant, and he wasn't part of any great teams.  After the alex smith/kaep years in sf he pretty much just went to teams that needed a stop-gap. It was an impressive career but every year they nominate a ton of guys with more impressive careers.  Tough but i say no
I say sketchy on first ballot but absolutely deserves a spot in the HOF.  Sans research, I have him mentally pegged as top 15 RB all time with ease.

Considering what he accomplished after two ACL tears, perhaps he does deserve HOF recognition.  I'll turn 63 next month, so him still playing at 65 is wow :)

I say sketchy on first ballot but absolutely deserves a spot in the HOF.  Sans research, I have him mentally pegged as top 15 RB all time with ease.
Just guys I've had in fantasy since i started playing

Emmitt 

Barry

Bettis

Terrell Davis 

Faulk

Tomlinson 

Curtis

Edgerrin

Peterson

Marshawn

Henry and Zeke both have a good chance too, as do several others like McCaffrey, Barkley, Dalvin, Chubb...

Didn't include Thurman oj Dickerson Payton etc etc etc

When you compare gore's best year with the best year of any of these guys is it even close?   Second best vs second best?   How far do you have to go down before you're like ok but gore's eighth best year was better than Martin's 

IMO he was about as good as Curtis Martin and Jerome Bettis. I'd put him in but not 1st ballot. 

IMO he was about as good as Curtis Martin and Jerome Bettis. I'd put him in but not 1st ballot. 
I strongly disagree with this. Many people would label Martin and Bettis as compilers, but they were both much better than Gore IMO.

Gore:

• Most significant award is making 2nd team All Pro 1 time (2006) in 16 seasons
  • 5 Pro Bowls
  • Only time he finished top 5 in the league in any meaningful statistic was finishing #5 in all purpose yards in 2006
  • In 16 seasons, his teams had winning records just 4 times, and one of those was the 2019 Bills, when Gore didn't have much to do with it
Without looking closely, Gore may possibly be the least deserving player in the HOF if he is elected (excluding veteran committee nominees).

You and I do not agree often, but I agree.  Gore will get in, as voters look big numbers that compilers like Gore put up, and the lack of other RBs in his era putting up big numbers over the long haul thanks to countless RBBCs will convince many that he is even more worthy.  He will instantly become of the least worthy HOFers ever the instant he is elected. 

Just Win Baby said:
I strongly disagree with this. Many people would label Martin and Bettis as compilers, but they were both much better than Gore IMO.

Gore:

• Most significant award is making 2nd team All Pro 1 time (2006) in 16 seasons
  • 5 Pro Bowls
  • Only time he finished top 5 in the league in any meaningful statistic was finishing #5 in all purpose yards in 2006
  • In 16 seasons, his teams had winning records just 4 times, and one of those was the 2019 Bills, when Gore didn't have much to do with it
Without looking closely, Gore may possibly be the least deserving player in the HOF if he is elected (excluding veteran committee nominees).
I'll disagree with your take, though not strongly ;)  

Frank Gore to me is everything football should be to me. Tough, durable, hard worker, great attitude. Had 5 seasons after the age of 30 with 1200+ YFS which is incredible. Only RB with 12 seasons of 1200+ YFS I think?  That in and of itself gets him in in my book, that's amazing in an age where RBs often fall off the cliff at 28. He was a compiler but the best compiler. 4th all time in YFS at time of retirement, I'm putting him in, but not first ballot. 

Wouldn't be upset if he never gets in, just think he's had a career that's worthy. 

He was a compiler but the best compiler.
I can't think of anyone who got into the HOF just for compiled stats.

Can anyone name a HOFer who is comparable to Gore, i.e., no significant honors/awards, no signature moments (e.g., Swann), no significant accomplishments related to winning/rings, but in the HOF based on compiled stats?

Can anyone name a HOFer who is comparable to Gore, i.e., no significant honors/awards, no signature moments (e.g., Swann), no significant accomplishments related to winning/rings, but in the HOF based on compiled stats?
No.  But based on the criteria you presented, Gore deserves to be in the HOF just as much as Philip Rivers who you constantly pound the table as a sure fire HOFer.  

Every time I see these discussions come up I can't help but laugh at the inconsistencies posters here come up with for who should be in and who should be out.

Making an all-decade team is not exactly a "meh" distinction when there are 31 other teams and 4-5 RB's that would be considered in that decade per team. Neither is holding 5 NFL records. 

I really dislike the "they have to win a Superbowl or be a winner" to be in the HOF argument. too many have gotten in because they won a SB and that seemed to be a place-marker....See John Riggins. 

There were so many players that never won a ring or were on relatively bad teams that were enshrined because they did well over the length of their careers. 

To further my argument, lets look at 3 players (minus any Superbowl wins as the Placemarker):

Player A: 16 years played, 12243 rush yards, 144 total TD's, 6 Pro Bowls, 2 All Pro

Player B: 14 years played, 11352 rush yards, 126 total TD's, 1 Pro Bowl, 1 All Pro

Player C 16 years played, 16000 rush yards, 99 total TD's, 5 Pro Bowls, 0 All Pro (was 2nd team)

Say what you want about compiling stats take away the Superbowl Wins and these all stack up pretty closely. For the record Player A and Player B are in the HOF..

Had 5 seasons after the age of 30 with 1200+ YFS which is incredible.
He sure was good for a long time, but 1200 YFS isn't saying alot.  In the last 10 years, 11 different RB's have cleared 2000 YFS.  Heck, Josh Jacobs has cleared 1200 YFS all 3 years in the league, with an average finish of RB14.

To further my argument, lets look at 3 players (minus any Superbowl wins as the Placemarker):

Player A: 16 years played, 12243 rush yards, 144 total TD's, 6 Pro Bowls, 2 All Pro

Player B: 14 years played, 11352 rush yards, 126 total TD's, 1 Pro Bowl, 1 All Pro

Player C 16 years played, 16000 rush yards, 98 total TD's, 5 Pro Bowls, 0 All Pro (was 2nd team)

Say what you want about compiling stats take away the Superbowl Wins and these all stack up pretty closely. For the record Player A and Player B are in the HOF..
Don't sell Gore short - he had 99 total TD's

No.  But based on the criteria you presented, Gore deserves to be in the HOF just as much as Philip Rivers who you constantly pound the table as a sure fire HOFer.  

Every time I see these discussions come up I can't help but laugh at the inconsistencies posters here come up with for who should be in and who should be out.
There is nothing inconsistent about those views.

Rivers is not just a compiler. He is in the top 12 all-time in several rate statistics, including passer rating, YPA, and passing yards per game. Gore isn't close to the top in YPC or rushing yards per game, for example. But this is not about Rivers, it's about Gore.

There is nothing inconsistent about those views.

Rivers is not just a compiler. He is in the top 12 all-time in several rate statistics, including passer rating, YPA, and passing yards per game. Gore isn't close to the top in YPC or rushing yards per game, for example. But this is not about Rivers, it's about Gore.
Yeah.  You have colored lenses on.  Keep deflecting. 

Gore (first 10 seasons, all with SF):

• 148 games
  • 2442/11073/64 rushing (4.53 ypc, 74.8 ypg)
  • 342/2883/11 receiving (8.4 ypr, 19.5 ypg)
  • 94.3 YFS per game, 0.5 TDs per game
Gore (last 6 seasons, with 4 teams other than SF):

• 93 games
  • 1293/4927/17 rushing (3.81 ypc, 53 ypg)
  • 142/1102/7 receiving (7.8 ypr, 11.8 ypg)
  • 64.8 YFS per game, 0.26 TDs per game
Was Gore a HOFer after his first 10 seasons? I doubt there are many who would say yes, since he was not yet in the top 20 in any meaningful category at that point. For one to believe Gore's final 6 seasons make the difference in elevating him to HOF worthiness, one must believe in rewarding compiling.

I deflected nothing. If Rivers gets in, it won't be solely due to compiled statistics. Compiled statistics is the only argument for Gore. :shrug:  
Oy vey…..you really are the epitome of fanboy. No need in arguing with someone who doesn’t get it.  Rivers has NOTHING but compiled stats.  Nothing more.  5-7 playoff record, No afc championships, no mvps, nothing other than compiled stats.  

Gore (first 10 seasons, all with SF):

• 148 games
  • 2442/11073/64 rushing (4.53 ypc, 74.8 ypg)
  • 342/2883/11 receiving (8.4 ypr, 19.5 ypg)
  • 94.3 YFS per game, 0.5 TDs per game
Was Gore a HOFer after his first 10 seasons? I doubt there are many who would say yes, since he was not yet in the top 20 in any meaningful category at that point. For one to believe Gore's final 6 seasons make the difference in elevating him to HOF worthiness, one must believe in rewarding compiling.
11073 rushing yards - When he accomplished this after the 2014 season, he was 20th all time.  I'd say rushing yards for a RB are quite a meaningful category.

11073 rushing yards - When he accomplished this after the 2014 season, he was 20th all time.  I'd say rushing yards for a RB are quite a meaningful category.
My mistake, you're right, he was #20 after 2014, his 10th season. He was also #29 in YFS, #47 in APY, and tied for #67 in rushing/receiving TDs.

At this point, I will respectfully disagree with those who think he was a worthy HOFer at that point, or that his 6 seasons after that made him one.

Oy vey…..you really are the epitome of fanboy. No need in arguing with someone who doesn’t get it.  Rivers has NOTHING but compiled stats.  Nothing more.  5-7 playoff record, No afc championships, no mvps, nothing other than compiled stats.  

I see now that you don't appear to be able to distinguish between a cumulative (compiled) statistic and a rate (non-compiled) statistic, so I'll just agree to disagree. You can have the last word to bash my Rivers opinion some more. :bye:  

Just Win Baby said:
I see now that you don't appear to be able to distinguish between a cumulative (compiled) statistic and a rate (non-compiled) statistic, so I'll just agree to disagree. You can have the last word to bash my Rivers opinion some more. :bye:  
And you can’t understand with your limited perception that you invalidate your very vocalized opinion of who should and shouldn’t be in the HOF with your ridiculous homer glasses.  Philip Rivers is the Gore of QBs based on your own evaluation of things.  Rivers hasn’t done anything near of significance as a QB in the realm of Gore as a RB.  You’ve even refuted your argument with your own stats.  :bye:

And you can’t understand with your limited perception that you invalidate your very vocalized opinion of who should and shouldn’t be in the HOF with your ridiculous homer glasses.  Philip Rivers is the Gore of QBs based on your own evaluation of things.  Rivers hasn’t done anything near of significance as a QB in the realm of Gore as a RB.  You’ve even refuted your argument with your own stats.  :bye:
Actually, Vinny Testaverde, who was #6 in career passing yards after his final season,  is the Gore of QBs. And he isn't in the HOF.

Well, regardless of whether you think Frank Gore should be in the HOF (he shouldn't even be close in my opinion) he's likely taken himself out of the running now.

Users who are viewing this thread