What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Marvel Contest of Champions - Time Killer (1 Viewer)

The Duff Man

Footballguy
Horrible name, but good time killer that is fairly mindless. Basic fighting game where you play as Marvel characters. The ones you get are random and of course you can play for free or pay to play (get more characters and more chances at "opening" better ones).

There is an Alliance feature so thought I would throw this thread up if others are playing or interested.

Last edited by a moderator:
Horrible name, but good time killer that is fairly mindless. Basic fighting game where you play as Marvel characters. The ones you get are random and of course you can play for free or pay to play (get more characters and more chances at "opening" better ones).

There is an Alliance feature so thought I would throw this thread up if others are playing or interested.
I've been playing for awhile. My best hero is a 4* Colossus.

I'm on this as well. Best in my deck are a 3* Black Panther, Drax, and Punisher. Then a slew of 2* guys. Fun timewaster.

Just played through a few rounds. No clue what any of the things I unlocked are. I upgraded spiderman but then thought, let me check on what to do before going down a wrong road

I have a ton of upgrades available. Just need to figure out who and how to give it. Right now I have Spidey, Hawkeye and Black Panther.

Can you do things wrong (like spending gems in COC) or just upgrade the hero you want and dont worry too much

Help me Obi Won Fuddnobi

I just started this week. I think the only downside to upgrading is if you are going to get a better hero later. I decided to spend a few bucks out of the gate and bought the Deadpool promo so that gave me my anchor hero that I have been upgrading.

From what I can see of Alliance, when you are doing the versus or the special promos, your hero attacks and then has to wait an hour and a half. You can ask your Alliance for "help" and if 5 players give you "help" it reduces your wait time. From what I can see, the person giving "help" doesn't actually lose anything...they actually get stuff that can be turned into loyalty crystals. So the benefit of Alliance for the developers is it encourages groups of players to all be online playing together.

I pulled a 3 star Iron Man out the stuff I got in the Deadpool promo, I have a bunch of two star guys but have been using Blackbolt to pair with Iron Man/Deadpool.

Played for awhile last night. Ranked Wolverine up to 2 stars, and Spidey and Black Panther are 1 star, L5. I think this is a game that I will probably tire of before long though.

From my opinion, one star heroes are fairly worthless, the only thing they are good for it arena battle chips and generally only in the beginning. Once you have a bunch of 2* + heroes then unless you're going to be spending a good 30 - 45 at a stretch fighting then you won't even use them.

I would not upgrade your one star heroes at all. Now your two stars you should at the minimum level up to get the third attack. That attack cannot be blocked so it is very useful.

Play the versus tournaments to try and get your three star heroes because it is difficult to come by them using the daily crystal or premium crystal. Don't spend your units on anything other than premium hero crystals.

Versus is actually against the computer, it just uses players heroes.

From my opinion, one star heroes are fairly worthless, the only thing they are good for it arena battle chips and generally only in the beginning. Once you have a bunch of 2* + heroes then unless you're going to be spending a good 30 - 45 at a stretch fighting then you won't even use them.

I would not upgrade your one star heroes at all. Now your two stars you should at the minimum level up to get the third attack. That attack cannot be blocked so it is very useful.

Play the versus tournaments to try and get your three star heroes because it is difficult to come by them using the daily crystal or premium crystal. Don't spend your units on anything other than premium hero crystals.

damn it. All of my guys are one star heroes. I upgraded them all. How do you get them to a 2

damn it. All of my guys are one star heroes. I upgraded them all. How do you get them to a 2
You can't upgrade a heroes star level. They are that star level no matter what. You can only level them number wise.

It's not the end of the world that you upgraded them. In the beginning you will run out of space to hold all the upgrade items anyway so it is better to use them than to lose them, but I'd focus on only upgrading one or two of them until you start getting some 2* heroes.

Think he means heroes that you get from a crystal who emerge at 2 stars or more. Like I just spent 100... Whatever they are... Units?.. And the crystal for it gave me a 2 star Iron Fist.

Took me awhile to realize that timer at the top of the screen was the countdown to gaining another point of quest energy stuff. Thought it was a timer to finish the quest or something.

When it asks me to select a players name in the alliance tab, what am I supposed to do
Chose a gamer tag. Everything I tried was already taken, eventually went with FBG GregR
I thought I did that when the game started. lol, I dont know why but this game is confusing to me
Yes, very lacking in tutorial or help file.

I still haven't figured out how to tell what my inventory size is except at the moment I level up. Though I did find the Stash thing any excess inventory goes into... Home page, the square cube button.

I'll create an alliance for us. It probably won't be until tomorrow because I'll have to build up 5000 arena battle chips.

List out your gamer name for me and when I set it up I'll send out invites.

When it asks me to select a players name in the alliance tab, what am I supposed to do
Chose a gamer tag. Everything I tried was already taken, eventually went with FBG GregR
I thought I did that when the game started. lol, I dont know why but this game is confusing to me
Yes, very lacking in tutorial or help file.

I still haven't figured out how to tell what my inventory size is except at the moment I level up. Though I did find the Stash thing any excess inventory goes into... Home page, the square cube button.
Be aware that the separate inventory is time boxed. If you don't use it within a couple of days it goes away.

Good to know vs mode the cpu does the fighting. I figured I would get my ### handed to me by other players. Just did it for the first time, won fights with all 4 heroes easily. Just missed getting a 4 star punisher out of it.

Good to know vs mode the cpu does the fighting. I figured I would get my ### handed to me by other players. Just did it for the first time, won fights with all 4 heroes easily. Just missed getting a 4 star punisher out of it.
Don't bother trying to get something specific out of your crystals. It is randomly generated what you'll get before you ever even spin it. I just open up all my crystals with the button instead of spinning them.

My favorite heroes are Unstoppable Colossus, Iron Fist, and Majik. The only heroes I have never had in any form are Captain America, Captain Marvel, and Electro.

So the Catalyst stuff, the upgrade stuff that looks like a kid's jack or maybe it's supposed to be a molecule or something... should we be saving those until we are are max level in a hero so we can upgrade him to the next... number. Not sure what they call them. I called my Wolverine a 2 star before but he's a 1 star who I upgraded to level 10 out of 10, and then did the catalyst thing and now he's level 1 out of 20.

So the Catalyst stuff, the upgrade stuff that looks like a kid's jack or maybe it's supposed to be a molecule or something... should we be saving those until we are are max level in a hero so we can upgrade him to the next... number. Not sure what they call them. I called my Wolverine a 2 star before but he's a 1 star who I upgraded to level 10 out of 10, and then did the catalyst thing and now he's level 1 out of 20.
Yes, you want to save the catalysts for when you max out your level. If you are a 1* when you move to the next level you will gain the level 2 special attack. The farthest you can go with a 1* is to the second level. With a 2* hero you automatically have the level 1 and level 2 special attack and if you go to the third level of that character you can get the level 3 special attack. A 3* and 4* hero have level 1, 2, and 3 special attacks to start with and can just be made more powerful by moving up levels.

Star rating will never change for a hero.

Is there a max number of heroes you can own?

If not I'm guessing you probably don't want to sell any so you can use them all in versus mode? Or at least until you have so many you aren't willing to go through the entire list in versus mode.

Is there a max number of heroes you can own?

If not I'm guessing you probably don't want to sell any so you can use them all in versus mode? Or at least until you have so many you aren't willing to go through the entire list in versus mode.
No limit. You can have the same hero at each star level. So you could potentially have four Hulks, a 1*, 2*, 3*, and 4*. If you end up getting a duplicate hero in a star level then they will gain a special power and you will get some ISO-8 that is specific to that hero type (i.e. scientific, mutant, tech, etc.). If you get another duplicate after that then the special power grows in strength.

Might as well capture some of this for others while it's fresh.

Guide for Newbies

Main game play

• The actual game play is a series of 1 on 1 fights against the CPU between heroes much like Street Fighter, etc, but with fewer moves. You can block, dash forward and back, and have light, medium and heavy punches. There are also special attacks when you have been powered up by landing hits or being hit. Heroes have special abilities and critical hits that trigger on their own.
  • There is not much difference in how you fight from one hero to another. But each hero is part of one of 6 different Classes (Mutants, Cosmic, etc). Each Class has another Class they get big stat bonuses against, and has a Class that gets big bonuses against them. So choosing the right hero for a fight can be important.
  • Much of the game are organized as "Quests", which consist of clicking to move along nodes from one fight to another, gaining items along the way.
  • There is also a versus mode, where you face another player's hero but the computer controls him in the fight so you never actually are doing player vs player fights. There is a 2 hour cooldown for each individual hero before he can be used in versus mode again. See Versus section below.
  • There is a player level which impacts things like the size of your upgrade inventory, how much quest energy you have, etc.
  • The game has groups of players called Alliances. There is a FBGs Alliance you can join. Go to the Alliance window and search for the name: footballguys. We can't send invites easily, you have to go put in the request.
  • Some Heroes if paired with another specific Hero on your active team, will give a bonus ability to all members of the team. For example, Drax and Gamora together on your active team give a Critical hit bonus, while Drax and Starlord give a chance that blocked hits do no damage.
Quests and energy

• Quest energy is used up at each node of a quest (including special events). You get 1 point back every 6 minutes. The counter at the top of various fight screens shows how long until you get the next point. You can also replenish points with the Lightning Bolt items that may be found in crystals or can be bought.
  • You can leave a quest screen and go to Home, Alliance, etc and it will save your progress and let you continue later. You cannot start another Story Quest without losing the progress.
  • The items that can be picked up moving along the nodes are random (other than chests). Look in advance to see what items are available as you may wish to follow those paths..
  • If your hero loses a fight in a quest, you can continue the fight with another hero who is active. There are also items that can revive a downed hero, or heal him.
  • You get bonuses for full completion of a quest. This may mean replaying it to take paths you didn't before. The dotted lines are the paths you haven't used yet.
Crystals

• You can gain Crystals from quests, versus mode, etc. You also get one every 4 hours and also once every 24 hours. You don't have to be logged in, but do have to claim it once the timer is done, before the timer starts again on the next one.
  • In the vault you can open the crystal and you will get a random item or hero. The game decides in advance what the crystal gives, so you don't need to do the animation of spinning the crystal.
  • There are different types of crystals that give different things, and that are bought with difference resources (units, loyalty points, battle chips).
Upgrading heroes

• Heroes have a Tier (how many stars they are) which never changes and limits their max level. They then have a Rank which is limited by their Tier. 1 star heroes can't go beyond Rank 2 for example. They also have Levels within the Rank (Rank 1 has 10 levels after which you can increase to Rank 2, Rank 2 has 20 levels after which you can increase to Rank 3).
  • Hero stats improve as you Level them up.
  • Special attacks improve as you Rank them up. Special attacks also can improve from getting multiple copies of a hero.
  • You can have more than one copy of a hero. I.e. you could get Spiderman at 1 star, 2 stars, 3 stars and 4 stars.
  • To upgrade Levels you spend the Iso-8 items you get from quests and crystals. Do this in the Champions screen. DO NOT USE CATALYSTS FOR THIS (the things that look like molecules) even though they have an Iso-8 value.
  • Once you max out a hero's Level you can increase his Rank. To do this you need to have a Catalyst, which is why you should save them and not use them for increasing Level. Catalysts can be gained at the end of Quest lines, from crystals, or from doing Daily Event quests in the Special Events section of the Fight menu. Higher star characters need higher level catalysts, and need catalysts colored to match the Hero's class type.
  • Here is a chart showing what type of Catalysts are needed to rank up:http://quickgamer.net/games/marvel-contest-of-champions/catalysts/
[*]Early in the game, you probably want to save most of your Iso-8 for the upgrading of 2-star or better heroes. Though if you struggle, or start to run out of inventory space, you may wish to upgrade a 1-star hero to help you make it through quests more easily.
Inventory / The Stash

• When your inventory fills up, excess items go into The Stash. It is the square box you can see on the Home screen bottom right, or in the Champions screen at top right.
  • Items in the Stash only stay there for a few days before they disappear, so you want to use up items and upgrades to make room for what is in your Stash.
Settings / Music / Chat etc

• The Settings button is found on the Home page at top left. You can turn Chat on or off, change music settings, etc.
Alliances

• An Alliance is a group of players.
  • There is a 2 hour cool down for a hero used in Versus mode before he can be used again. By requesting help from your Alliance that time can be reduced.
  • Giving the above help gains you Loyalty chips that can be spent to buy crystals.
  • To join the FBGs alliance, search for "footballguys" as the name and then request admission.
  • In Versus mode, your characters under cooldown before they can fight again will have a red icon on them. If it has a + on the icon as well, you can click on them and Request Help from the Alliance to speed up their cooldown.
  • To give others help, go to the Alliance tab and click Help and then Help All.
  • Once a character has 5 Alliance members give them help, their cooldown is reduced.
Versus Mode

• There are two different Versus modes, a 1v1 involving a single fight with one of your heroes, and a 3v3 where 3 of your heroes each fight once.
  • Both modes, there is a 2 hour cooldown per individual hero before you can use him again. This can be reduced by requesting for help from you Alliance.
  • You fight the computer controlling some other player's heroes. You do not fight the other player directly (as evidenced by the fact you can pause the fight).
  • As your win streak grows, you will be given tougher opponents relative to your character.
  • You need three 2-star characters to start the first 3v3 arena. You will fight 3 matches, one with each character, against 3 different heroes of some other player, again controlled by the CPU. You are able to choose which of your heroes face which opponents, allowing you to choose matchups that give you class advantages.
Class matchups

• Each Hero has a Class based on the type of his powers, like Wolverine is a Mutant and Ironman uses Technology. Each Class has one opposing Class they get a stat boost against when fighting, and another opposing Class that gets a boost against them.
  • The Class relationships are: Tech -> Mutant -> Skill -> Science -> Mystic -> Cosmic
[*]In quests when you choose which hero to use, it will show you how much of a bonus or penalty each character gets. In some other places like setting 3v3 matches it will not show you, so you will want to learn the above hierarchy.
[*]Here is a suggestive mnemonic using the Class colors that can help you remember:

Bold Yankees Raid Girls Pretty Cooters

Blue -> Yellow -> Red -> Green -> Purple -> Cyan (Cosmic)

Combat Tips

• Do not button mash attacks. You can only get in so many swings (4-5) before your character will leave a pause in which you can be counter attacked. Attack in short flurries, and block when not actively attacking. Your default position should be blocking.
  • At lower levels, a good tactic is:to block, do 4-5 weak attacks, then immediately block again
  • launch your attacks out of your block when an opponent is standing still not blocking, or after his 2nd blow on you at which point there is a gap you can exploit, or whenever he leans back to charge up a heavy attack to break through your block
  • If the opponent is at a distance, use dash to close on the first attack
[*]Your Special attacks power up both from hitting someone else, and from being hit (even while you are blocking).
[*]Make sure your Special attacks hit, don't waste them on someone when he is blocking. Using the above 4-5 swing combos, replace one of the last swings with a Special so you have several swings to assure the opponent is not blocking.
[*]Some heroes shoot something for their Special (Ironman), others do a flurry of attacks (Iron Fist), and others do a single devastating attack (Drax). The latter two types need the opponent to be at close range. Know what your specials do so you can use them at the right range.
[*]At higher levels, opponents dash in and out so you may need to use more dashing and heavy attacks yourself.
[*]At low levels, a fight may not last long enough to get your 2nd level of Special attack charged up, so you may wish to just use the first level right away to end the fight more quickly and take less damage.

I sold my 1 star guys. It gives you class specific Iso stuff that lets you level up another champion quicker (if you have one of the same class)

Good Lord, such a difference in the bottom level Daily Event when taking the easy path (opponents around 100) vs the harder path where they are all over 200. Can probably do the easy path with a single character. The hard path I gave up on as it was going to take all my inventory healing myself and I might not have made it to the end anyway.

Always replay quests as needed to get 100% completion, some nice bonuses for it. The dotted paths are the ones you haven't taken before.

Users who are viewing this thread