What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

California will be out of water in one year (1 Viewer)

Naive question of the day. What is California doing "wrong"? Is it just a poor location or are they actively doing this to themselves? I'm sure every place in the US has people being wasteful. What's different here?

Naive question of the day. What is California doing "wrong"? Is it just a poor location or are they actively doing this to themselves? I'm sure every place in the US has people being wasteful. What's different here?
It doesn't rain very often there. In some parts of the state, they can go a year without any rain.

Even though he's one of the most repulsive pols around, i can't look @ Harry Reid's deer-in-the-headlights image without thanking him a li'l bit for single-handedly saving Nevada's right to eastern-slope Sierra runoff. We would have been first-out long ago without it.

They are experiencing the worst drought the region has seen in 150+ years. That, and tax and spend liberal policies. And the gays...

They are experiencing the worst drought the region has seen in 150+ years. That, and tax and spend liberal policies. And the gays...
And the unsustainable population in an arid environment that requires crazy expensive infrastructure and stealing water from other parts of the state. Other than that...

Care to explain the effect of tax and spend liberal policies on the water shortage?

Care to explain the effect of tax and spend liberal policies on the water shortage?
Forget it, Jack. It's Chinatown.

Less water

Wow, slow clap on that one. Bravo...

Excessive irrigation. Over population. Law suits and policies which hamstring infrastructure improvements and additions. Seismic activity which creates challenges to infrastructure additions. Lifestyle choices for landscaping and pools. Heads in the sand.

Yup. I was going to give AJ the long version, but this is the appropriate response.

I just hope this does not portend a mass migration of Californians to Colorado. Every time things get dicey in California we get a bunch of them moving out here. Invariably they run for Office or start petitions for initiatives and legislation they had there. They want us to do things just as they did back home, yet they forget that the reason they are fleeing their homes often stems precisely from the manner in which they were governing themselves.

I'll add the alarmism coming from Nasa/Pasadena has been a bit much for a long time. Cali will not be out of water in a year. Cali has increased agriculture allotments by 20% this year because of the two big storms. Aqueduct infrastructure is in place to irrigate the critical farm land but that water is dumped into the SF Bay in order to protect our indigenous 3" smelt. The drought is bad, real bad. We have 6 weeks left of the traditional rainy season and it looks bone dry. Ah well, another awesome vintage for the wine.

I just hope this does not portend a mass migration of Californians to Colorado. Every time things get dicey in California we get a bunch of them moving out here. Invariably they run for Office or start petitions for initiatives and legislation they had there. They want us to do things just as they did back home, yet they forget that the reason they are fleeing their homes often stems precisely from the manner in which they were governing themselves.
We have a similar situation with MA moving into NH

DeSal plants powered by natural gas is the answer.
Doesn't seem very Green or carbon neutral.

Frankly I don't want California driving up prices for natural gas and increasing the acid rain that falls throughout the rest of the country so that they can continue to grow rice and vegetables in a dessert, and so that they can continue to have pools in every yard. That said I would not try to stop them from doing so through regulation.

Start buying stock in Bottled Water. Right, Em?

Or maybe that water bottling idea will take off after all.

I thought California was next to a big body of water called an ocean?
What's more important? Desalination plants for fresh water or the ability to rapidly move people from Fresno to Merced? These are the tough decisions California has had to make.
I thought California was next to a big body of water called an ocean?
What's more important? Desalination plants for fresh water or the ability to rapidly move people from Fresno to Merced? These are the tough decisions California has had to make.
How about the federal government - who California pays more than it gets - builds the Alaska-to-California pipeline that's been talked about for 40 years.

Desalination is the solution if things get much worse. Everything costs more here so why not water?

Users who are viewing this thread