What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

CNN will air a special on Atheists this Tuesday (1 Viewer)

Atheists are the new vegetarians.

It's more important to let everyone know you are an atheist than it is to actually be one.

Hopefully they won't focus on atheist "churches". But they probably will.
What are these?

One of the best things about being an atheist is that I never go to church
Places like this: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/10/01/sunday-assembly-atheist_n_5915830.html
That is so not an atheist thing to do. Copying the social traditions of modern religion is acknowledging that you are playing within the same rules, but just putting your own spin on it. It's similar to giving a direct answer to the question "why don't you love Jesus?" when the question is absurd in the first place.

What are these?

Places like this: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/10/01/sunday-assembly-atheist_n_5915830.html
:lol:

A. If I don't go to church I'm home asleep. Morons.

B. The majority of those people will end up back in a regular church. Guaranteed.

What are these?One of the best things about being an atheist is that I never go to church
That is so not an atheist thing to do. Copying the social traditions of modern religion is acknowledging that you are playing within the same rules, but just putting your own spin on it. It's similar to giving a direct answer to the question "why don't you love Jesus?" when the question is absurd in the first place.
Fakin bacon IMOI'm thinking that a good over/under of % of interviews spent talking about how stupid Christianity is would be 80%. I'll take the over.

Last edited by a moderator:
The meetings are filled with songs--Bon Jovi, Journey and Monty Python seem to be favorites--readings, and even a moment of silence where congregants are left alone with their own thoughts.

**God I love Journey...I mean Man I love Journey! Damn it. I mean dang it! ####!**

Last edited by a moderator:
What are these?

:lol:

A. If I don't go to church I'm home asleep. Morons.

B. The majority of those people will end up back in a regular church. Guaranteed.
:yes:

Unitarian churches have lots of atheists in them, so I'm told. I've never gone to one though I've always wanted to.

GOP lawmaker: Air Force cadets must pledge to God because there is no ‘freedom from religion’

Let me be clear: Americans have the freedom of religion – but not freedom from religion.
:crazy:
I'm afraid non-believers find themselves hoisted by their own petard on this one. The phrase comes from the more thoughtful and thoroughgoing of us, those for whom truth will out, who offered a concession that militant atheists wouldn't by using the above phrase to stipulate that the Constitution does not protect its citizens from witnessing professions of faith which do not attempt to infringe on the space or conduct of others.

Of course, since zealots are only zealots to be on a winning team, some had to turn this routine fly ball into a spectacular catch so they wouldn't feel the simpering simps they are. Hence, the egregious amplification of an exception to a rule into an abiding personal truth - the stock-in-trade of the willfully oblivious - once again.

Anyone else catch it tonight? I thought it did a decent job of showing how hated and misunderstood atheists are.
Atheists are hated?
I'm going to go ahead and say this nibbles around the edges of hatred;

“I’ll make a bet with you,” Robertson told the religious gathering. “Two guys break into an atheist’s home. He has a little atheist wife and two little atheist daughters. Two guys break into his home and tie him up in a chair and gag him.”

“Then they take his two daughters in front of him and rape both of them and then shoot them, and they take his wife and then decapitate her head off in front of him,” Robertson continued, “and then they can look at him and say, ‘Isn’t it great that I don’t have to worry about being judged? Isn’t it great that there’s nothing wrong with this? There’s no right or wrong, now, is it dude?’”

He then imagined the assailants cutting off the atheist’s penis.

“Then you take a sharp knife and take his manhood and hold it in front of him and say, ‘Wouldn’t it be something if [there] was something wrong with this?’” Robertson said. “’But you’re the one who says there is no God, there’s no right, there’s no wrong, so we’re just having fun. We’re sick in the head, have a nice day.’”

“If it happened to them, they probably would say, ‘Something about this just ain’t right,’” Robertson added.

http://www.rawstory.com/rs/2015/03/duck-dynasty-star-fantasizes-about-atheist-familys-brutal-rape-and-murder-to-make-point-about-gods-law/

GOP lawmaker: Air Force cadets must pledge to God because there is no ‘freedom from religion’

Let me be clear: Americans have the freedom of religion – but not freedom from religion.
I'm afraid non-believers find themselves hoisted by their own petard on this one. The phrase comes from the more thoughtful and thoroughgoing of us, those for whom truth will out, who offered a concession that militant atheists wouldn't by using the above phrase to stipulate that the Constitution does not protect its citizens from witnessing professions of faith which do not attempt to infringe on the space or conduct of others.

Of course, since zealots are only zealots to be on a winning team, some had to turn this routine fly ball into a spectacular catch so they wouldn't feel the simpering simps they are. Hence, the egregious amplification of an exception to a rule into an abiding personal truth - the stock-in-trade of the willfully oblivious - once again.
I think this is more than just "freedom from religion". Sure, non-militant atheists should have no issue with others practicing their religion, so long as it does not infringe on others. But, forcing someone to recite an oath to a god that they do not believe exists is overstepping. The default should be respectful silence.

Interesting in the CNN piece how the one college kid claimed that the first wave of atheism in America was the militant atheists, and now he is part of the second generation that is more accepting, respectful, non-militant about their disbelief.

Anyone else catch it tonight? I thought it did a decent job of showing how hated and misunderstood atheists are.
Atheists are hated?

“I’ll make a bet with you,” Robertson told the religious gathering. “Two guys break into an atheist’s home. He has a little atheist wife and two little atheist daughters. Two guys break into his home and tie him up in a chair and gag him.”

“Then they take his two daughters in front of him and rape both of them and then shoot them, and they take his wife and then decapitate her head off in front of him,” Robertson continued, “and then they can look at him and say, ‘Isn’t it great that I don’t have to worry about being judged? Isn’t it great that there’s nothing wrong with this? There’s no right or wrong, now, is it dude?’”

“Then you take a sharp knife and take his manhood and hold it in front of him and say, ‘Wouldn’t it be something if [there] was something wrong with this?’” Robertson said. “’But you’re the one who says there is no God, there’s no right, there’s no wrong, so we’re just having fun. We’re sick in the head, have a nice day.’”

“If it happened to them, they probably would say, ‘Something about this just ain’t right,’” Robertson added.

http://www.rawstory.com/rs/2015/03/duck-dynasty-star-fantasizes-about-atheist-familys-brutal-rape-and-murder-to-make-point-about-gods-law/
Boy he sure hit the nail on the head about atheists. We're out there robbing banks, raping women and tearing tags off mattresses.

I think this is more than just "freedom from religion". Sure, non-militant atheists should have no issue with others practicing their religion, so long as it does not infringe on others. But, forcing someone to recite an oath to a god that they do not believe exists is overstepping. The default should be respectful silence.

Interesting in the CNN piece how the one college kid claimed that the first wave of atheism in America was the militant atheists, and now he is part of the second generation that is more accepting, respectful, non-militant about their disbelief.
Read what i said again, friend - you'll see i'm agreeing with you.

Seems you're spoiling for a fight yourself. It's a good struggle, but it won't be won that way. GL -

It's ok. i would have liked to see them have someone explain the difference between rejecting the claim that a God exists, and claiming that no gods exist.

wikkidpissah said:
CowboysFromHell said:
wikkidpissah said:

Read what i said again, friend - you'll see i'm agreeing with you.

Seems you're spoiling for a fight yourself. It's a good struggle, but it won't be won that way. GL -
Sorry, I have a hard time understanding your verbiage. Thought you were criticizing those that are complaining about the forced oath. Not looking for a fight.

parrot said:
Zigg said:
CowboysFromHell said:
Atheists are hated?

There are some in the world that get-off doing this in the name of religion.

bentley said:
Zigg said:
CowboysFromHell said:
Atheists are hated?
They certainly feel like they are. Persecution complex is something that committed atheists and Christians both share.
Persecution complex is something we choose to accept and it's not a choice unique to religion (or lack there of). We've seen it here in the FFA by both atheists and theists alike. Of course there are circumstances where people lash out in violence on both "sides" of this issue, but by-in-large I believe the two groups seek to understand each others' POV. The guy that is head of American Atheist will never do for his movement what the other guy (who had the 20 year old son that was also atheist) is going to do. Just like WBC is not going to lead people to Christ in their approach.

then they can look at him and say, ‘Isn’t it great that I don’t have to worry about being judged? Isn’t it great that there’s nothing wrong with this? There’s no right or wrong, now, is it dude?’”
It's scary that this is what religious people think about atheists. There's nothing 'great' about knowing there's no God. Sure, there's a slight benefit to not being judged but it doesn't come close to the horrifying idea that we cease to exist when we die.

then they can look at him and say, ‘Isn’t it great that I don’t have to worry about being judged? Isn’t it great that there’s nothing wrong with this? There’s no right or wrong, now, is it dude?’”
It's scary that this is what religious people think about atheists. There's nothing 'great' about knowing there's no God. Sure, there's a slight benefit to not being judged but it doesn't come close to the horrifying idea that we cease to exist when we die.
It's also very scary if Robertson is saying that the only thing keeping him from going on a murder/rape rampage is his belief in the punishment he would receive from his perceived supernatural deity. :shock:

What is horrifying about that?

Users who are viewing this thread