What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

CNN will air a special on Atheists this Tuesday (1 Viewer)

bentley said:
Zigg said:
CowboysFromHell said:
Anyone else catch it tonight? I thought it did a decent job of showing how hated and misunderstood atheists are.
Atheists are hated?
They certainly feel like they are. Persecution complex is something that committed atheists and Christians both share.
Persecution complex is something we choose to accept and it's not a choice unique to religion (or lack there of). We've seen it here in the FFA by both atheists and theists alike. Of course there are circumstances where people lash out in violence on both "sides" of this issue, but by-in-large I believe the two groups seek to understand each others' POV. The guy that is head of American Atheist will never do for his movement what the other guy (who had the 20 year old son that was also atheist) is going to do. Just like WBC is not going to lead people to Christ in their approach.
Interesting that CNN chose to focus on atheists living in the bible belt. I'd venture to say that this group is truly at risk for real discrimination and ostracism. Atheists in NY and California, probably not so much. Christians anywhere in the U.S. No.

bentley said:
Zigg said:
CowboysFromHell said:
Anyone else catch it tonight? I thought it did a decent job of showing how hated and misunderstood atheists are.
Atheists are hated?
They certainly feel like they are. Persecution complex is something that committed atheists and Christians both share.
Persecution complex is something we choose to accept and it's not a choice unique to religion (or lack there of). We've seen it here in the FFA by both atheists and theists alike. Of course there are circumstances where people lash out in violence on both "sides" of this issue, but by-in-large I believe the two groups seek to understand each others' POV. The guy that is head of American Atheist will never do for his movement what the other guy (who had the 20 year old son that was also atheist) is going to do. Just like WBC is not going to lead people to Christ in their approach.
Interesting that CNN chose to focus on atheists living in the bible belt. I'd venture to say that this group is truly at risk for real discrimination and ostracism. Atheists in NY and California, probably not so much. Christians anywhere in the U.S. No.
:oldunsure: Some parts of California are very much like the Bible Belt.

bentley said:
Zigg said:
CowboysFromHell said:
Atheists are hated?
Well, I really don't want to go down the road of what's "real" or not as it is an individual's definition, but I would suggest that discrimination and ostracism is rampant in this country over a variety of topics including religious belief.

bentley said:
Zigg said:
CowboysFromHell said:
Atheists are hated?
Well, I really don't want to go down the road of what's "real" or not as it is an individual's definition, but I would suggest that discrimination and ostracism is rampant in this country over a variety of topics including religious belief.
There was a part in the CNN special where one atheist claimed that we are the most hated group in the country. Would you agree? Or, do you think Christians have it just as bad?

There was a part in the CNN special where one atheist claimed that we are the most hated group in the country. Would you agree? Or, do you think Christians have it just as bad?
Christians aren't in the conversation. Not that it has to be a contest, but if it were, it'd be between Muslims, atheists, and gays.

bentley said:
Zigg said:
CowboysFromHell said:
Atheists are hated?
I think the comment is a strawman personally. There's really no way to know one way or the other. Same goes for Christians playing the persecution card. There are too many variables from a person's tolerance for differing opinion, self esteem, ability to understand the other's POV etc to determine if it's really hate.

bentley said:
Zigg said:
CowboysFromHell said:
Atheists are hated?
Considering people trust atheist as much as a rapist I would say yes we (atheist) are at the bottom or near the bottom of the group hate list.

http://usatoday30.usatoday.com/news/religion/story/2011-12-10/religion-atheism/51777612/1

Among religous groups, Americans have most negative feelings towards Atheists and Muslims:

http://wp.production.patheos.com/blogs/yearwithoutgod/files/2015/03/PF_14.07.16_interreligiousRelations_totalRatings1.png
How often does religion come up in peoples everyday conversations. I cant remember the last time I discussed it, not exactly difficult to avoid.

ps- my keyboard seems to be in french mode. This is a question markÉ, and apostropheÈ. plèasè hèlp mè fix this

bentley said:
Zigg said:
CowboysFromHell said:
Atheists are hated?
Considering people trust atheist as much as a rapist I would say yes we (atheist) are at the bottom or near the bottom of the group hate list.http://usatoday30.usatoday.com/news/religion/story/2011-12-10/religion-atheism/51777612/1
The first line of that article specifies that there is distrust, not dislike. Without dislike I have a hard time seeing how you get to hate.

bentley said:
Zigg said:
CowboysFromHell said:
Atheists are hated?
Considering people trust atheist as much as a rapist I would say yes we (atheist) are at the bottom or near the bottom of the group hate list.http://usatoday30.usatoday.com/news/religion/story/2011-12-10/religion-atheism/51777612/1
The first line of that article specifies that there is distrust, not dislike. Without dislike I have a hard time seeing how you get to hate.
People trust rapist more than they trust me. Maybe it's just me but I hate rapist.

Am I a bad atheist if I dye Easter eggs? My wife wants to for some reason. I don't want Jesus getting the wrong idea.
We do this. We do full blown Christmas (minus Jesus of course) too. Basically Santa day and Bunny day.

Users who are viewing this thread