What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Best Ball (MFL10s, DRAFT, etc.) (1 Viewer)

Borden

Footballguy
*** MFL has sold it’s MFL10s too FanBall. The other options are Draft and FanTrax. Look for Leagues forum here also will have some Best Ball leagues but usually with some type of twist.***

For anyone who doesn’t know, Best Ball leagues, generally, are where you do your draft and then never touch your team again. Large rosters are drafted then your “starters” are which every players performed the best that week. The league winner is determined by whichever team has the most points are the end of the year.

Basic Strategy for these leagues.

PFF Strategy (May 2018)

Last edited by a moderator:
Hard to argue against starting with Gronk. That being said, prepare to be getting an ugly looking RB2. There are pros and cons to drafting a QB or TE early.

QB in best ball I think I can find later. Same with WR. Then go RB with the 24 and 25 pick. That's my plan so far. I'd also like to get Gurley late.

I've done well with waiting on RB and picking up a pile later on (mid rounds then some lotto picks)

Gronk's so valuable is traditional fantasy leagues because he offers a high weekly floor (and obviously a ton of upside) in a position littered with inconsistent options. In best ball, the unpredictable nature of tight end is less of a negative since each week's points come from whichever rostered tight end goes off that week. There are so many quality options typically available during round 9-13, that I tend to grab my committee during those rounds, while stockpiling RB and stud WR early, as it gets pretty bare pretty quick.

Olsen/Bennett in the 6th with two other solid TEs from rounds 9-13 is also a favorite of mine. I have gone with both Allen and Fleener a couple times a well, as either one seems a pretty safe bet to have nice game each week with their value only going up if one misses time.

I don't think I could pull the trigger on him at number 1 overall. I'd still take Bell or believe it or not, brown or ODB. I did ten of these last year (all post draft when I found out about them). I won two. One because of brown, forte and Anderson in the 14th or so and in the other, I took Gronk in the late second. That was huge value there. At the endo of the day though, you have a 1 in 12 chance of winning. A lot has to break your way. They are fun but I'd never spend more then 10 bucks on them. I do like the 25$ head to head levies though.

I'm thinking about taking the plunge into these as well.....I think there have been some staff articles on these but will also be checking in here.... :whistle:

I've been doing these and wouldn't hesitate to take Gronk top 3, or first overall. Massive positional advantage... I think WRs can be devalued a bit in best-ball since there are always lower guys going off for a touchdown + 70 yards every week... there are very few TEs with that kind of sporadic production.

Pulled the trigger on Gronk at 1.01 at least it will be interesting to see who is left at the 2/3 turn.

Gronk has the potential to put up 1200 and 12 which is what two mid level TEs will do but when you count the weeks where they cancel each other out Gronks numbers are even more helpful.

RBBC also changes how I value things in a best ball league. There's just way more options to load up on.

First round so far in order,

Gronk

Bell

Lacy

Charles

OBJ

Brown

Julio

Murray

Forte

Dez

DT

Calvin

This might be obvious but wait and then wait some more on QB. Brees went 8.04 and Big Ben is still on the board. I feel really stupid for taking Arod at 3.01

I played in 10 MFL 10 leagues last season Won 2 and finished 2nd in four leagues. I went WR early and often on those I did well in. Focused on RB in rds 4-6 and then got best available QB or TE next. There were a couple where I went Graham or Gronk in late first or early second but they just didn't pan out as well because it put me behind the 8 ball.

I wouldn't wait too long on Gurley. I've seen some ADP where he's going as early as rd 3-4.

QB in best ball I think I can find later. Same with WR. Then go RB with the 24 and 25 pick. That's my plan so far. I'd also like to get Gurley late.
This feels like a five year ago theory.

I'm not saying it's wrong just looking for dialogue

This feels like a five year ago theory.I'm not saying it's wrong just looking for dialogue
It's best ball format and PPR so Spiller/Sporles/Gio etc. that get dinged in a normal draft for not being every week bell cows can be great pick ups. Those 2 or 3 home run games they have will be used in place of your "starter." If you can scoup a couple of those guys you can potentially cover a lot of weeks.WRs same thing. Spread systems WRs and garbage time heroes can compete with elite WRs when you get enough of them.

There's only so many TEs. And very few are legitimate receiving options. Even if each team takes two that's TE24, which is a serious crap shoot each week.

Each team in these leagues starts 3 WRs so that's 36 most teams in the NFL complete passes to 3 WRs each week so that's 96. Guys like Marvin Jones, Tavon Austin, Harry Douglas can be taken late and again put solid numbers for a few weeks.

Not say I saying this is the best strategy, just a strategy.

I played in 10 MFL 10 leagues last season Won 2 and finished 2nd in four leagues. I went WR early and often on those I did well in. Focused on RB in rds 4-6 and then got best available QB or TE next. There were a couple where I went Graham or Gronk in late first or early second but they just didn't pan out as well because it put me behind the 8 ball.

I wouldn't wait too long on Gurley. I've seen some ADP where he's going as early as rd 3-4.
Gurley went 4.11 the pick before me.

Mcfadden?

What am I missing?
Cowboys OL.

Way over drafted him but I think he will have a few big games in him just because for the Boys and their blocking. I didn't think he would make it back to me.

My mind wasn't into the fantasy aspects at all when I got into this. I made a bunch of bad over reaches already. I don't mind my team though.

Id love to join an MFL 10 with a few of you, but dont think it's possible to "pick your league" or setup a private one...

Pretty safe to say that McFadden with one of his top three picks was a reach, to say the least.

Some advice for avoiding colossal reaches in the future would be to take advantage of the MFL10 ADP page. Also, people love to tweet their picks. Do a quick Twitter search of MFL10 and you'll be able to find plenty of drafts to follow to get a better idea of who is going where. If you are real into it, you could often be able to find drafting trends from people who are in multiple leagues.

Id love to join an MFL 10 with a few of you, but dont think it's possible to "pick your league" or setup a private one...
I believe there is.Edit; I checked and there is. I'd love to do a draft with some of you fine fellas. Someone else with have to sent it up though. I'd prefer to wait until after draft and/or this current mess of a draft is done. Be warned though, I'm very good at finding value in these leagues.

The first article is Victor Cruz saying himself that he "hopes" to be back to start the season, and the article includes a quote from the GM saying they can't count on Cruz for this season.

The second article doesn't support Cruz being back for the early season at all:

“I think he’ll be the player that he was, and hopefully better,” Coughlin said of Cruz, via ESPN’s Dan Graziano. “But as far as when, I would be careful of what I would say there. Hopefully it’s the first game. But if it isn’t, you know we’ve done that one before. We just went through it. But I’m hoping it would be.”
It then discusses medical doctors talking about how difficult the recovery will be.

Are you just reading the headlines of these articles?

First article (from March 4th);

"Obviously the next couple of months are very, very important in terms of building the strength [in my knee] and continuing to mold my body back into running shape and things like that," Cruz said. "And I just want to take these next couple of months to do that and really focus on that. Training camp is definitely the timetable. More importantly, even before training camp, I'll be feeling almost 100 percent around May-ish, June-ish and I can really start rehabbing and strengthening it and start running routes and things like that, hopefully."

Second article (March 27th);

Typically, after surgery, the injury takes a minimum 6 to 12 months to recover. The initial timeline given to Cruz was roughly 9 months, which would be around the start of training camp.

For one, it’s been five months since his injury and thankfully, Victor’s recovery is going smoothly. One promising sign is that he’s already running and working out with the team’s trainers. Cruz “looks really good and light,” Coughlin said, via NY Post’s Bart Hubbuch.

Cruz has overcome the hardest part of his recovery: the psychological doubts.

:shrug:

Not really trying to give you a hard time about, so sorry that it probably is coming across that way. I'm pretty skeptical based on what I read, but it's your team.

After 13 picks.

Rodgers, Aaron GBP QB

Crowell, Isaiah CLE RB

Gore, Frank IND RB

McFadden, Darren DAL RB

Robinson, Denard JAC RB

Williams, Andre NYG RB

Boldin, Anquan SFO WR

Cruz, Victor NYG WR

Fitzgerald, Larry ARI WR

Green-Beckham, Dorial FA WR

Hunter, Justin TEN WR

Patterson, Cordarrelle MIN WR

Gronkowski, Rob NEP TE

Not really trying to give you a hard time about, so sorry that it probably is coming across that way. I'm pretty skeptical based on what I read, but it's your team.
Nothing but love Doc Oct. When I post up my draft I assume I'm going to get chewed up. As for Cruz, I'm happy you voiced your concerns. I didn't know much about where he was at with his injury before I was on the clock and those two articles popped up with training camp and/or week 1 kind of being the target.

When do you think he will be back?

Nothing but love Doc Oct. When I post up my draft I assume I'm going to get chewed up. As for Cruz, I'm happy you voiced your concerns. I didn't know much about where he was at with his injury before I was on the clock and those two articles popped up with training camp and/or week 1 kind of being the target.

When do you think he will be back?
I'm thinking he starts the year on the PUP, but it's possible he makes it back for the season. Good luck.

Final Roster:

Manziel, Johnny CLE QB

Rodgers, Aaron GBP QB

Carey, Ka'Deem CHI RB

Crowell, Isaiah CLE RB

Gore, Frank IND RB

McFadden, Darren DAL RB

Robinson, Denard JAC RB

Sproles, Darren PHI RB

Williams, Andre NYG RB

Boldin, Anquan SFO WR

Cruz, Victor NYG WR

Fitzgerald, Larry ARI WR

Green-Beckham, Dorial FA WR

Hunter, Justin TEN WR

Jones, Marvin CIN WR

Patterson, Cordarrelle MIN WR

Gronkowski, Rob NEP TE

Rivera, Mychal OAK TE

Browns, Cleveland CLE Def

Eagles, Philadelphia PHI Def

20 TOTAL PLAYERS

I'm not sure if the link will work but here's the link to the league in case anyone wants to see how the normal people drafted.

http://www30.myfantasyleague.com/2015/home/16594#0

Just signed up for my second one of these bad boys. Got pick 1.02 this time. Gronk again or switch it up?

In a teaming deal with the FFPC, we will have this available for subscribers this year:

The ability to buy ONE $35 FPC satellite coupon for $17.50. So for $17.50, you can win a $350 FPC spot. Winner-Take-All....167% returned

I consider myself a fairly poor redraft player and this was my 1st MFL10, so feel free to have at it. I'm curious what this looks like to people who are good at it:

11.08 Bridgewater, Teddy MIN QB 11:45:18 a.m.

14.05 Griffin III, Robert WAS QB 11:17:30 a.m.

16.05 Mariota, Marcus TEN QB 11:44:50 a.m.

1.08 Thomas, Demaryius DEN WR 6:30:13 a.m.

6.05 Johnson, Andre IND WR 9:40:05 a.m.

7.08 Green-Beckham, Dorial TEN WR 6:24:51 p.m.

9.08 Smith, Steve BAL WR 9:03:30 a.m.

10.05 Brown, John ARI WR 10:26:54 a.m.

17.08 Wilson, Albert KCC WR 12:28:44 a.m.

20.05 Lockett, Tyler SEA WR 9:07:58 p.m.

2.05 Murray, DeMarco PHI RB 11:01:04 a.m.

3.08 Stewart, Jonathan CAR RB 7:46:41 a.m.

4.05 Morris, Alfred WAS RB 10:01:14 a.m.

5.08 Crowell, Isaiah CLE RB 2:30:06 a.m.

8.05 West, Terrance CLE RB 8:20:53 p.m.

12.05 Clay, Charles BUF TE 5:13:47 p.m.

13.08 Miller, Heath PIT TE 10:02:05 a.m.

15.08 Rivera, Mychal OAK TE 12:39:23 a.m.

18.05 Ravens, Baltimore BAL Def 9:45:51 a.m.

19.08 Browns, Cleveland CLE Def 12:39:31 p.m.

I consider myself a fairly poor redraft player and this was my 1st MFL10, so feel free to have at it. I'm curious what this looks like to people who are good at it:

I'm in no way good at this but it looks pretty good to me. I like Rivera in round 15. Might have waited a touch to long at QB but it's probably better than going way to early and it looks like you should have enough to avoid goose eggs. I like your WRs but they would make be nervous.

In a teaming deal with the FFPC, we will have this available for subscribers this year:

The ability to buy ONE $35 FPC satellite coupon for $17.50. So for $17.50, you can win a $350 FPC spot. Winner-Take-All....167% returned
Leave a link?

I'm in no way good at this but it looks pretty good to me. I like Rivera in round 15. Might have waited a touch to long at QB but it's probably better than going way to early and it looks like you should have enough to avoid goose eggs. I like your WRs but they would make be nervous.
In a "best ball" I Iike that strategy. It seems likely that one of those three QBs will have a decent to great game every week. Bridgewter at least should be steady enough from week to week not to kill him if RGIII and/or Mariota busts, and Teddy can out up some big weeks as well.

As silly as it might sound, I would prefer Carr over Teddy. I just think Carr now has better weapons and AP is going to get a ton of carries.

BroadwayG said:
I'm not sure going long on TEN and CLE is a +EV strategy.

You did a lot of reaching a round or two compared to ADP. Anything can happen, but you'll likely need to hit some home runs and really avoid injury.
Well my friend, I see there is a person named FBGBroadwayG in the MFL10 I joined. Seems my Ace Up the Sleeve (the Shark Pool) isn't going to be of much use now. :doh:

At least I know you aren't going to be holding up the draft like the 1.01 person.

Remember when MFL did the free ones last year? I won 2 out of the 5 I signed up for and I was wondering when the best time is to draft these? Early in spring/summer or at the end of the summer just before the season starts?

Remember when MFL did the free ones last year? I won 2 out of the 5 I signed up for and I was wondering when the best time is to draft these? Early in spring/summer or at the end of the summer just before the season starts?
I think for me it would be better to draft late in the summer. I tend to reach for guys so right now before a solid ADP has been set I end up reaching WAY to far for players I like (see my last draft).

Users who are viewing this thread