What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Best Ball (MFL10s, DRAFT, etc.) (1 Viewer)

Got it. Agree the sample size is small. The results will also be skewed because they had kickers last year. Now that kickers are removed, you can slot extra backup running backs. The zero RB strategy would not have been possible last year as there was not enough roster space in a draft and forget it.
They reduced the number of draft slots from 22 down to 20 so there isn't enough roster space for zero RB this year either.
I'm not sure that's totally true. Let me preface by saying that this thread alone shows overwhelmingly the increase in popularity from last year. I did 9 of these year and was reading a lot of RotoViz (not this year though) and loved the idea of "zero RB." I won two out of 9. One where I didn't take my first RB until round 8 (Sproles). I also had two kickers so that's the same breakdown for this year of 20 players. Gronk in the second and Sanders in the 6th won it for me. My other RBs were DMC, Fred Jackson, Chritine Micheal, Andre Williams and dexter mccluster. Think about that for a minute. Gronk and sanders were huge along with Hopkins, and the eagles D. My first pick was Calvin, my third was p. manning and my fourth was Jordan Cameron. It's kinda remarkable. I don't discount all the awesome analysis many of you are putting the time in to use and share but just to point out that all it took was really hitting on two huge value players where they were drafted can make all the difference.In all honesty I went RB heavy in a few and they were my worst teams. The other one I won was because I got some guy named CJ Anderson in round 14 to go with Antonio and Forte. I also drafted 4 QBs in that one--Shaub and Fitzpatruck (by accident and only rostered one defense). On paper, the two "worst drafted" teams of mine were the two that won! I guess my point is, it's still ALOT OF LUCK!

Kinda like the stock market...

Last edited by a moderator:
That first league was certainly remarkable. You only had two people not contribute to your score. You can argue that without the exact configuration of the other 20 you would have lost.

I'm personally shooting for a win going away. Every team that won by 300+ points had at least 2 RBs in the first 5 rounds.

Anyone know exactly which ADP rankings list is used for Auto-Picks? Whenever the #1 pick times out the pick has been Beckham. Just had a #1 pick time out and Le'Veon Bell was the selection.

Also, Is there a specific logic to the Auto-Picks the deeper into the draft we get... or is it always the top player from the specific ADP Rankings list used?

I don't know for sure, but I think it uses the overall ADP for all of their leagues.

There is a logic to it, but the exact details haven't been shared. It does lean towards filling out a starting lineup before acquiring backups.

Foster seems to be dropping like a stone so our hopes of derelict owners getting stuck with him are dashed. At least in the management leagues which is my ficus now.

By the way guys, if you have the time, I'd highly recommend doing some MFL weekly management leagues. With the experience you have doing a ton of best balls, you might be shocked at some of the teams you might draft. Get the MyFootball guys software to track your teams--invaluable for free agents--and make some $!

Foster seems to be dropping like a stone so our hopes of derelict owners getting stuck with him are dashed. At least in the management leagues which is my ficus now.

By the way guys, if you have the time, I'd highly recommend doing some MFL weekly management leagues. With the experience you have doing a ton of best balls, you might be shocked at some of the teams you might draft. Get the MyFootball guys software to track your teams--invaluable for free agents--and make some $!
What's this?

Kwai Chang Caine said:

MFL took him off the auto draft list, so he won't get drafted unintentionally now.

4.01 Foster, Arian HOU RB* 38.23

Player names listed with an asterisk are players that will not be automatically drafted by the system due to recent status changes (retiring, late injuries, etc.)

cacksman said:
Kwai Chang Caine said:

What's this?

Comes with your subscription package. You upload all your legues and you get rankings plus a real handy breakdown of all the free agents available in each league so you don't have to spend hours combing through it.

E. Sanders was wr6 last year. He scored more points than Marshawn Lynch (rb4). If you take away every single one of his 9 tds he was wr13 (rb8 - Forsett). Minus NINE tds. wr13. I realize he's supposed to see less work (even though Manning's drop off seems to have been due to injury) but come on. Please convince me to stop taking him in the 4th. It looks like easy money.

edit - I was wrong about his adp from last year.

Also, why is A. Bradshaw not on a team yet?

Also, why is A. Bradshaw not on a team yet?
Because he is suspended, and if a team wants him to make it through the season they really don't need to sign him until about week 6.
He'll be one of the first RB's signed during the season.

This was a great RB draft but I bet there will be a lot of HC's that decide they want one of the vets floating around when it comes time to actually pick up blitzes and prevent your QB from getting killed and ending your season(tenure as HC).

Just which FA vet RB lands where will make all the difference.

Wrapping up my 100 leagues...

Positional through 5 rounds:

QB - 7

RB - 282

WR - 180

TE - 31

Feel very good about this ratio, averaging 3 RB, 2 WR, with the occasional sprinkling of Gronk/Graham or Luck/Rodgers.

Positional through 10 rounds:

QB - 135

RB - 360

WR - 415

TE - 90

Looking back, I hit the QB bottle too hard and would prefer this number to be right around the 90 mark of TE. Easy to fall victim to the crazy value at the position in the 8th through 10th round. Take 40 from QB and add 20 each to RB/WR and that would be so much better.

Most Owned:

41 - Packers Def - Homer pick, plus Cutler is good for 2 or 3 picks each time they play

35 - Kyle Rudolph - Low cost, huge upside. Pretty much locked into him in the 12-13 round every draft as my TE2.

32 - Eric Decker - Was a buyer when he was going around the 6/7 turn. Even more after dropping a round and a half for no explicable reason.

27 - Roddy White - 7th round target throughout all the drafts. Rather take upside guys in the later rounds.

26 - Tom Brady - Firmly believe there will be no mercy on the league this year from Brady and Belicheck.

25 - Jason Witten - Favorite target in the 11th round, sets up a decent baseline for Rudolph and other upside TEs later.

Starts through 3 rounds:

RB-WR-RB -> 19
RB-RB-RB -> 17
RB-RB-WR -> 13
WR-RB-RB -> 11
RB-WR-WR -> 7
WR-RB-WR -> 5
WR-WR-RB -> 5
RB-RB-TE -> 4
TE-WR-RB -> 4
WR-RB-TE -> 4
RB-RB-QB -> 2
TE-RB-WR -> 2
WR-WR-WR -> 2
TE-QB-TE -> 1
TE-RB-RB -> 1
TE-WR-TE -> 1
WR-WR-QB -> 1
WR-WR-TE -> 1

Every time I come back to this thread I find myself entering another mfl10. It's a problem.

I took a look at my leagues from last year and noticed my teams from earlier in the off season did generally much better than my teams drafted closer to the season. None of my August leagues placed. I haven't figured out why and it's somewhat worrisome.

Every time I come back to this thread I find myself entering another mfl10. It's a problem.

I took a look at my leagues from last year and noticed my teams from earlier in the off season did generally much better than my teams drafted closer to the season. None of my August leagues placed. I haven't figured out why and it's somewhat worrisome.
Maybe your original gut feeling is the best.

Woodhead is killing me with this whole scoring tds in preseason business. If you're reading this, please cut that stuff out.

I entered two and I do these for ####s and giggles.

So far in one league:

Luck

Cobb

Graham

Hyde

Spiller

In another

D.Thomas

Cobb

McCoy

Landry

I know a lot of people are holding off drafting QBs and I am one of those people also. In my current draft there is a person picking the 2nd pick in 13th round 16 QBs have been taken he still does not have one. Now there are 18 QBs gone with 16 picks left before he picks again at the end of the 14th.

Is there a strategy out there that people have to draft 2-3 QBs ranked 20 or later improves your chances of winning? Has anyone here waited until the 20th QB before taking one and if so how do you think your overall team looks?

Finally get back to these. Feels like the ADP has really tightened up and I'm settling in almost every round.

Yeah, I feel it too, Borden. Though over the last two days things seem to be loosening up. It looks like a lot more random people are entering these, maybe picking up general volume since the preseason started? Seeing things like Manning in the 4th and Tate in the 3rd. Might be some good going for the next week or two.

Ok so ended up doing 3 MFL 10's

Here are the rosters thus far (and I am having fun with it and trying different things)

Team 1

Luck

Tannehill

McCoy

Duke

Woodhead

Brandon Marshall

Landry

Wallace

Randle

J.Graham

Eifert

Team 2

P.Manning

Tannehill

Hyde

Spiller

Duke

D.Thomas

Cobb

Landry

Team 3

Abdullah

L.Miller

Dez

E.Sanders

K.Benjamin

Not a big fan of drafting out of the 2 slot. Prefer the 1st overall or 6-11 range. Changed my name to Ol' Saggy Balls after the 7th round with all the old men and then kept going with the old theme for fun.

Player Drafted

Rodgers, Aaron GBP QB 3.02

Ryan, Matt ATL QB 9.02

Ball, Montee DEN RB 12.11

Gore, Frank IND RB 2.11

Herron, Dan IND RB 17.02

Peterson, Adrian MIN RB 1.02

Vereen, Shane NYG RB 7.02

Britt, Kenny STL WR 16.11

Johnson, Andre IND WR 4.11

Johnson, Stevie SDC WR 10.11

Marshall, Brandon NYJ WR 5.02

Smith, Steve BAL WR 8.11

Wheaton, Markus PIT WR 14.11

White, Roddy ATL WR 6.11

Gates, Antonio SDC TE 11.02

Hill, Josh NOS TE 13.02

Rodgers, Richard GBP TE 15.02

49ers, San Francisco SFO Def 18.11

Falcons, Atlanta ATL Def 19.02

Bears, Chicago CHI Def 20.11

Was going to avoid these entirely this year just had no time to prep for redraft format when my focus is dynasty and daily but just remembered I had a free entry into one so doing one avoiding any temptation to do more.

Was going to avoid these entirely this year just had no time to prep for redraft format when my focus is dynasty and daily but just remembered I had a free entry into one so doing one avoiding any temptation to do more.
Both important information and a well-constructed, logical sentence.

I like doing 5 MFL10s per year. You win 1, you double your money.

Can't imagine people doing dozens of these. Just doing 5 I feel like I'm constantly monitoring email. Kind of messes with your daily life.

Amazingly, out of the 10 MFL10s I've done last year and this year, I've never had a draft position higher than 8.

Comes with your subscription package. You upload all your legues and you get rankings plus a real handy breakdown of all the free agents available in each league so you don't have to spend hours combing through it.
More specifically, it's the myFBG page. It is incredibly helpful for dynasty rookie drafts because you can see all the free agents - where the rookies are compared to existing players. Having those free agents mixed together saves a lot of time and you can sort for dynasty value or for redraft value if you need somebody to help your team now.

Can't imagine people doing dozens of these. Just doing 5 I feel like I'm constantly monitoring email. Kind of messes with your daily life.

Amazingly, out of the 10 MFL10s I've done last year and this year, I've never had a draft position higher than 8.
It doesn't really bother your daily life. You can pre-draft whenever you want and you have an 8 hour timer once you're OTC. Plus, if you import a pre-draft list it's that much easier.

mrip541 said:
I own all of the Kelvin Benjamin. ALL OF IT. brb jumping out the window.
I have him in 2 of out the 3 I started this week but I was taking him because I don't think I have much stock in him.

Pretty sure the only over exposure I have is Eifert. But he's known for his durability, so I should be fine.

It's weird, I go on runs with regard to random draft position as well.

You don't have one email address where you get notifications on your phone? I don't get notifications from my spam email addy, but I definitely get notifications when I am on the clock. I think you can request texts as well. You shouldn't have to check on your draft continuously.

It doesn't really bother your daily life. You can pre-draft whenever you want and you have an 8 hour timer once you're OTC. Plus, if you import a pre-draft list it's that much easier.
Yeah, I tend to just check in in the morning, after lunch, and right before bed. I predraft if I have anything coming up within 8-10 picks. One thing that definitely suffered for me with playing volume is that I have been a bit less attentive to the composition of other teams, so I'm not as aware, for example, of who might go at the turn between my picks if I have something like 1.03 or 1.08. It takes more work to do that sort of thing, and when I have 4-5 drafts going at a time I tend to make predrafting decisions a bit more quickly.

Anyone have The Fantasy Executive in a league? I was wondering of that's the clown from the morning show on Sirius/XM's fantasy channel.

Yeah, I tend to just check in in the morning, after lunch, and right before bed. I predraft if I have anything coming up within 8-10 picks. One thing that definitely suffered for me with playing volume is that I have been a bit less attentive to the composition of other teams, so I'm not as aware, for example, of who might go at the turn between my picks if I have something like 1.03 or 1.08. It takes more work to do that sort of thing, and when I have 4-5 drafts going at a time I tend to make predrafting decisions a bit more quickly.
I have an email filter that only shows "on the clock" emails in my inbox, the rest go into a folder I never check.

I usually only pre-draft when it's 4 or fewer spots ahead of me. I suppose I could get better at that.

Twice now I have missed being on the clock at 8pm because I was doing something else, then I wake up in the morning and I got an ADP pick.

Depends on what you can handle. I'm a single dad with 2 young kids, and a busy job with a 50mi commute. Doing more than 2 MFL10s at a time is too much for me.

Users who are viewing this thread