What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Best Ball (MFL10s, DRAFT, etc.) (2 Viewers)

I'm not sure as far as numbers I'd like to see.

Maybe most typical team setup? Maybe a future or expected ADP? So guys who are gaining or losing value and where is needed to get them. Or maybe a highest and lowest taken in the last 5 days. Maybe something that tracks running expected points per week. 

These are just some random ideas off the top of my head. I'm not sure how useful they would be. Just throwing them out there. Also, I have no idea how much work would be required. 
You can set your long/short term comparison days in the app and view/sort the deltas on the ADP data. Player charts show every pick so you can visualize the change as well.

I'm not a projector, but you can easily export the adp and compare it to your own or favorite sites projections to identify players who should move up or down in the future.

Most popular is 2-6-7-3-2

BroadwayG said:
You can set your long/short term comparison days in the app and view/sort the deltas on the ADP data. Player charts show every pick so you can visualize the change as well.

I'm not a projector, but you can easily export the adp and compare it to your own or favorite sites projections to identify players who should move up or down in the future.

Most popular is 2-6-7-3-2
Well Mr.IhaveAllTheAnswers, How about a "recommended* pick or star beside a player? Or what about an actual iPhone app? What is the is the square root of the sun? If the moon was made out of spare ribs would you take a bite? :D  

I didn't even know about the charts but the now that I see them, very helpful. 

Well, the recommendations are hopefully coming next year. I meant to do it for this year, but spare time all but disappeared a few months ago. The nice thing about web apps are they don't have to go through whatever authorization hoops Apple and Google force you to jump through. I just implement whatever I want and it's done. I do my best to make it mobile friendly, but the odds of me going into an app store are very slim at the moment. 2 x 10^14. Yes.

I will be adding to the free agent list the likelihood of a player being available for each of your next 3 picks sometime next week. Once that is done, I'll be exclusively trying to get my inseason data viewing page up.

Thinking of cashing out already. Joined my 6th draft this morning and only 1 has had a slot earlier than 9. I feel like looking at win % of top 5 slots I am just throwing my money out the window. I don't mind random draft slots when I am with my friends in a league, part of the drill (however I focus on auction/dyno) but donating to strangers and corporations kinda chaps me. Odds are I get a higher spots but thats what I thought 2 or 3 times ago....MFL needs an auction setting because I will not stick around and I doubt I am the only one thinking about this. 

/rant

I got the win % by position on this article...

https://www.4for4.com/fantasy-football/mfl10-roster-construction-strategy

As you can see your chances of finishing in the money are significantly higher based off draft position. Again I get it's random but I have had it drawing the 9-11 spots in every draft I have joined but one. This is one of the reasons I left all my redraft leagues but one, because its so old and I just want to stick to it with my buddies. 

As far as people getting higher draft positions I just assumed it was randomized (it had better be). 
I too don't think the MFL "randomizes" draft positions.  I'm not sure what their formula is, but they are sure sensitive when you call them out on it.  

For some background, I was a double major: economics with focus in econometrics and political science with a focus in game theory.  I *love* statistics.  I'm that sort of nerd.

With that said, in a sample size of 10 MFL's I've signed up for over the past 2 years, I received: 7th, 8th, 12th, 12th, 11th, 9th, 11th, 12th, 9th, 12th.  In 10 drafts, I've never received a pick in the top half of a MFL10.  

I understand that in a vacuum, your chances of landing in the top half (1 through 6) of a MFL draft is 50%/50% - when things are truly random... i.e. Gamblers fallacy... but here I am, a sucker for paying 10 of these and never receiving a top half pick.  I used to play in random $ leagues on several different sites with randomized draft spots and never encountered this before.  Here's a simple test for you to spend the rest of your day on... flip a coin and keep doing so until you land on heads or tails 10 times in a row.

It is randomized.  So quitting after starting with 6 late draft slots doesn't make a whole lot of sense.  The more you join, the more your average slot will regress to the mean.
Do you work for MFL?  lol.  If I got the 1st overall in 5 straight MFL's I signed up for going forward I still wouldn't be at the "mean."  Unless the "mean" is not an actual statistical figure, but what they give to suckers like me who keep signing up for something that sure appears to be rigged.

Honestly it's not even the draft position that bothers me so much as it is having multiple drafts in the same year where my teams end up looking very similar (especially in the first 4-5 rounds).  So when Keenan Allen shreds his knee in the first half of his first game... you can write off those leagues.

In 2017 my first 10 leagues were: 3, 12, 10, 8, 1, 10, 3, 5, 6, 12. Slightly lower than you would expect.

In 2016 my first 10 leagues were: 5, 12, 7, 8, 3, 8, 9, 1, 4, 4. Almost exactly what you would expect. 

in 2015 my first 10 leagues were: 4, 3, 8, 7, 8, 3, 8, 2, 3, 4. Slightly higher than you would expect.

Still a very, very small sample size but just thought I'd post my results so that you'd have at least a little more information.

Given their customer base they should really go to 3rd-round-reversal. Their customers are sophisticated enough to realize it levels the playing field and unfavorable results in a small sample would be less discouraging. On second thought, just go to slow auction and none of this really matters. Auction is the most fair. We are all just dopes for playing in anything other than auctions. If someone finds a good auction-and-go option I hope they post it in this thread because I would be willing to make the switch.

Personally I'd love to try some MFL10's with an auction format. Not interested in bitcoin transactions.

Regarding the randomized draft slots question. Maybe I'm too simple or naive, but if they're not random I'm at a loss as to why this would happen.

My last 10 draft positions: 7, 12, 8, 6, 11, 9, 12, 7, 9, 6 - Of course, my least favorite positions are 6 & 7.

10 drafts prior to those: 3, 4, 10, 12, 7, 7, 1, 9, 3, 5 - A couple more 7's  :shrug:

So, if my last 10 drafts were actually my 1st 10. I guess I could have said, geez I never get an early pick, it must not be random. But, 10 just isn't a large enough sample to tell me anything.

-CE- said:
Do you work for MFL?  lol.  If I got the 1st overall in 5 straight MFL's I signed up for going forward I still wouldn't be at the "mean."  Unless the "mean" is not an actual statistical figure, but what they give to suckers like me who keep signing up for something that sure appears to be rigged.
I've joined 15 MFL10s so far this season.  My draft slots have been:  2, 8, 7, 2, 5, 7, 10, 9, 1, 1, 12, 12, 2, 1, 12.  An average of 6.066.

Sorry you've been unlucky so far, but its just that.  Conspiracy theories about how they're out to get you are a pretty sad position to take, especially for someone with your alleged education.

Serious question, if there was an MFL competitor that offered an auction-and-go format that used bit-coin-for all money transactions.... would you use it?
It would all depend on how easy it was to use. Personally I don't view my MFL account balance as anything other than fun money for more MFL10s. So really the only difference is how difficult it would be to use. For the average person like me, anything more than a few extra clicks starts to become a bit much.

I don't think MFL sets a very high bar for looks or ease of use but it is functional.

I don't think MFL sets a very high bar for looks or ease of use but it is functional.
I think it's improved this season, especially on mobile and that was one of the more important things to me. When so many people are drafting on their phone in these slow drafts it really SHOULD result in a faster an more fun draft for everyone. Faster drafts could lead to more drafts. More drafts should mean more money to MFL. As far as looks it seems just fine to me..... I'm not even sure what people want it to look like, honestly. So lone as I can put a dark skin on it so that it doesn't kill the battery life of my mobile life just looking at text on a page it's all good to me.. 

Sorry you've been unlucky so far, but its just that.  Conspiracy theories about how they're out to get you are a pretty sad position to take, especially for someone with your alleged education.
Third round reversal would be such an easy fix. The real conspiracy is they choose to keep a system in place that is less fair to everyone. 

http://subscribers.footballguys.com/2007/07pasquino_trr12.php

Tip of the hat to Pasquino on that table.

I think it's improved this season, especially on mobile and that was one of the more important things to me. When so many people are drafting on their phone in these slow drafts it really SHOULD result in a faster an more fun draft for everyone. Faster drafts could lead to more drafts. More drafts should mean more money to MFL. As far as looks it seems just fine to me..... I'm not even sure what people want it to look like, honestly. So lone as I can put a dark skin on it so that it doesn't kill the battery life of my mobile life just looking at text on a page it's all good to me.. 
**I'm not sure what the bolded part has to do with my comment**

I almost exclusively use my phone for MFL10s. Last year it was a bigger struggle and it's improved but it's still not great. 

It's too cluttered. Maybe a "Home" webpage for after the draft/during the season would help clean it up. When I make up a predraft list it doesn't show up unless I tap on the blank area where the names should be. The ADP list is trash. I guess that could be considered a positive for playing against weak or new drafters. Also, when you go to draft or more so when you pre-draft, none of the important information is there. Like my team so far, how many picks until mine, etc. Pretty much any place that you can do a mock draft has a better setup than MFL. Like I said, it's functional but there's lots of room for improvement (and sites that could be used for examples/ideas).

You're initial comment was if someone would use a an auction-draft-n-go site if it used bitcoin. The main problem with using bitcoin, for me, would be the potential extra steps/effort required for entry into the leagues. That extra effort to setup whatever is needed to use bitcoin could be offset by a better looking and easier to use site. The actual auction and go would be the obvious draw but if it's too much of a headache to setup and use of the site then I'd just stick with MFL. 

**I'm not sure what the bolded part has to do with my comment**
I was simply making the point that I think they tried to change the interface so it was more user friendly on mobile devices. 

I agree that the ADP list is bad, but I like it that way so that the clowns that time out multiple times get some sort of punishment for doing so. 

I've never really used the pre-draft list so I can't comment on that. You can customize your home page so that you can see recent draft picks and see "My Draft Picks" although I think the "My Team" tab does a better job of tracking your team. I appreciate that.

I always add My Draft Picks to my homepage. I just wish it showed bye weeks so I wouldn't have to click out to use the My Team view.

When my drafts are done, I collapse Recent Draft Picks and expand League Standings and Weekly Summary.

I do find it odd that you can't see your current team in the Draft Selection page. Also, when pre-selecting, it would be nice if the Players Queued For Selection showed the bye weeks.

One thing I asked about via a ticket was making the Watch List importable/exportable. I like to use it as a reminder of those less popular players I would like to consider in the late rounds. I could just use a list in on paper or excel, but having this in the Watch List shows me their draft status at a glance.

Last edited by a moderator:
Doing my first MFL10 right now and my wide receivers are Crabtree and Sanders so far. Hmmm...
Good luck! How many teams do you think you might have for the season?

I like both, Crabtree more so, though they don't seem to make it to my roster as I might like.

brun said:
Good luck! How many teams do you think you might have for the season?

I like both, Crabtree more so, though they don't seem to make it to my roster as I might like.
Probably going to do a few more, I would like to try out going WR heavy first.

my team so far is (pick 7):

QB: Mariota

RB: McCoy, Murray, Powell, Riddick

WR: Crabtree, Sanders, Meredith

TE: Kelce

What did you get for your 1st 2nd and 3rd round picks in the trade?

FWIW - In my drafts started in June, I mostly see Mariota going in the 9th, a couple times in the 10th.

It feels like drafters have started to swing from the dynasty crowd to the redraft crowd. Or the draft hype is starting to fade. 

Pretty much all my RBs are rookies. LF, Cook, Mack, Foreman and the then Rob Kelley. 

For best ball it seems like it makes more sense to take shots on rookie RBs. Especially, late when a lot of the other options at RB appear to have low ceilings. 

I've joined 15 MFL10s so far this season.  My draft slots have been:  2, 8, 7, 2, 5, 7, 10, 9, 1, 1, 12, 12, 2, 1, 12.  An average of 6.066.

It's tough to argue with numbers, isn't it?  Pretty sad life you must lead with the "math is hard guys" thoughts from your childhood.

Just wrapped up my 4th. Feel not bad about my team. 

Two best picks: Jamaal Charles In the 13th and Kamar Aiken in the last round. 

Worst Pick: Marlon Mack in the 7th round. 

Getting a pretty good feel for these now. Entered my 5th one this morning. Still waiting for the league to fill though. 

Just wrapped up my 4th. Feel not bad about my team.  Between this line and your last line. I'm not sure how many drafts you've done.

Two best picks: Jamaal Charles In the 13th and Kamar Aiken in the last round. I'm really curious to see if/how Charles' ADP moves as we get into training camp and pre-season.

Worst Pick: Marlon Mack in the 7th round. The heart wants what the heart wants.

Getting a pretty good feel for these now. Entered my 4th one this morning. Still waiting for the league to fill though.  Love how quickly these fill.

Hahahaha. Good catch. I'm in my 5th now. 4 with total randoms and one that a guy from my dynasty league put together with people from all his leagues.

Charles (assuming good health) is going to sky rocket. CJA and Booker are very passable for him. Plus, he's the type of back that doesn't need a ton of volume to put up a big game here and there. Perfect for best ball.

Marlon Mack in the 7th round was a bad pick. I don't even really like him. I was reading the Mack thread when I made that pick. No joke. 

This league filled in less than an hour. 

Also, I'm all in on Dalvin Cook in the 4th. 
Me too.  In MFLs I am looking to take guys who can win leagues for me.  I love Cooks talent so I think he can be that type of guy. Even if he doesn't win the job outright you have to think he's good for breaking off some huge plays this year that will make him playable in a bunch of games.  I'd much rather take him than someone like Hyde or Lynch 

Some new leagues have been created with the general MFL10 format but they are much deeper with more starters, which makes the results rely on less luck.....

https://forums.footballguys.com/forum/topic/757046-mfl10s-like-draft-masters-10-via-leaguesafe-4-different-leagues/

... in particular those last two leagues are different(and better) than the MFL10 setup. One is 2QB/2TE league, the other is an IDP. Even if you enjoy the MFL10's these are a nice break from the cookie cutter results you often get from the MFL10's. 

Some new leagues have been created with the general MFL10 format but they are much deeper with more starters, which makes the results rely on less luck.....

https://forums.footballguys.com/forum/topic/757046-mfl10s-like-draft-masters-10-via-leaguesafe-4-different-leagues/

... in particular those last two leagues are different(and better) than the MFL10 setup. One is 2QB/2TE league, the other is an IDP. Even if you enjoy the MFL10's these are a nice break from the cookie cutter results you often get from the MFL10's. 
I don't like 2 QB leagues and I'm not into IDP enough to know. Also, the pay out structure isn't my style. I like the basically all or nothing of MFL10s. 

Plus, I don't know why but LeagueSafe hasn't let me make deposits the last couple years. There are ways around this but I'm not really that interested. An auction or live draft I would be into though. 

Edit: I'm not trying to knock the effort or other people's enjoyment. Just wanted to be honest about why I haven't joined. 

Plus, I don't know why but LeagueSafe hasn't let me make deposits the last couple years. There are ways around this but I'm not really that interested. An auction or live draft I would be into though. 
Unfortunately, I think LeagueSafe is almost a requirement in private leagues anymore. Or some other service that holds the money. Too many people got burned by Phenoms.

I am still trying to find a draft-and-go auction option and I agree with you that would be ideal. But the trade-off is 100% of the money paid in gets paid out. I can live with that.

Another thing I really like about the leagues linked above, If a guy times out twice(not in order - just twice at anytime in the draft) he goes on auto-draft. That all by itself makes these leagues much less frustrating imo. The MFL10's should have been using this policy for a long, long time now. 

I still say more starters, more bench players means the more skilled player wins. Less luck involved. I think some folks(not saying you) are actually intimidated by playing in something even slightly "outside the box". Seems like a cheap way to try something different to me. But to each their own.

Unfortunately, I think LeagueSafe is almost a requirement in private leagues anymore. Or some other service that holds the money. Too many people got burned by Phenoms.

I am still trying to find a draft-and-go auction option and I agree with you that would be ideal. But the trade-off is 100% of the money paid in gets paid out. I can live with that.

Another thing I really like about the leagues linked above, If a guy times out twice(not in order - just twice at anytime in the draft) he goes on auto-draft. That all by itself makes these leagues much less frustrating imo. The MFL10's should have been using this policy for a long, long time now. 

I still say more starters, more bench players means the more skilled player wins. Less luck involved. I think some folks(not saying you) are actually intimidated by playing in something even slightly "outside the box". Seems like a cheap way to try something different to me. But to each their own.
The way "around" LeagueSafe for me is to just give a league member money (email or PayPal) then they put it in for you. 

I really like the back to back Timed Out rule that you said. I think people should be allowed to predraft still but they should lose the ability to hold up the draft any longer. 

I think the "more skilled" and "intimidated" kind of go hand in hand. When you take someone out of their focused area (2QB, IDP) then it's either a lot to learn. Especially if they aren't used to Best Ball and Draft Only leagues. Any flaws are compounded since there is no trading or waiver wire. 

I'm still a bit surprised that the daily sites haven't jumped in on these yet. Seems like an easy offseason revenue stream. 

Well since this is the Best-Ball thread just thought I'd post that we are ONE team away from starting an MFL best ball league....

"Starting up 4 different draft masters (one and done type) leagues that are very similar to MFL10's, but with differences.  Each league is $10 via leaguesafe and it's 100% payout.  No line up submissions, no waivers, no trades, just a draft and payouts at end of the year. 

1) Draft Day Draft Master DM VI - standard type - 12 teams - start 1 qb, 2 rb, 3 wr, 1 te, 2 flex - 9 total starters - 24 round draft, 8 hr. timer with 4 hours overnight suspension

Bylaws: www58.myfantasyleague.com/2017/options?L=67527&O=26

Pay here to join:   https://www.leaguesafe.com/join/3829359

"

I like the fact that it's 24 rounds with no team defenses so it's a deeper league, with better time-out rules than the MFL10's. 

Just got my first 1.01 and it feels so good. DJ for the win. 
Yeah, it's pretty easy to feel good with that pick. It's the 2/3 turn where choices start to get complicated unless someone falls lower than their ADP. But that may just be me overthinking things.

Yeah, it's pretty easy to feel good with that pick. It's the 2/3 turn where choices start to get complicated unless someone falls lower than their ADP. But that may just be me overthinking things.
Yeah, I find myself struggling at 2/3 and 4/5 to find guys I think are values there. I usually feel like I am reaching or taking guys at the beginning of huge tiers. 

There was huge a run on RBs. Ended up with Gronk and Nuk at the 2/3 turn. Feel pretty good about this though. Think I could end up with RB1, TE1 and WR12 by the end of the year. 

Sometimes I forget that everyone isn't super dorks like us. Rodgers goes in the 2nd. Brady in the 3rd. A pair of QBs in the top 30 picks so far. 

Sometimes I forget that everyone isn't super dorks like us. Rodgers goes in the 2nd. Brady in the 3rd. A pair of QBs in the top 30 picks so far. 
Let me preface this with: I am not a draftmaster/best ball guy, just toyed with a few.  

I am almost always a late rd QB fanatic. However, with the general meh that begins around the 2/3 turn, I don't think drafting Rodgers or Brady is all that bad this year. Around pick 22 or so, you can get into a huge tier similar WRs and RBs. Honestly, I kind of love some of the mocks where I have started with DJ, Rodgers and Gronk. I can't remember a year that had such a weak supply of talent in rounds 3-4. To me, it's almost like there is no round 3 and it just jumps from round 2 to round 4. 

Let me preface this with: I am not a draftmaster/best ball guy, just toyed with a few.  

I am almost always a late rd QB fanatic. However, with the general meh that begins around the 2/3 turn, I don't think drafting Rodgers or Brady is all that bad this year. Around pick 22 or so, you can get into a huge tier similar WRs and RBs. Honestly, I kind of love some of the mocks where I have started with DJ, Rodgers and Gronk. I can't remember a year that had such a weak supply of talent in rounds 3-4. To me, it's almost like there is no round 3 and it just jumps from round 2 to round 4. 
I think round 3 looks good so far. Nuk, Landry, DT, McCaffery, Brady, Watkins, Cooks, Lamar Miller. Brady and CMC wouldn't be my choices but they rest seem like good 3rd rounders. AR15, Keenan Allen, Reed, Kelce, Alshon, Adams, Cooks are all still in the board. 

I think round 3 looks good so far. Nuk, Landry, DT, McCaffery, Brady, Watkins, Cooks, Lamar Miller. Brady and CMC wouldn't be my choices but they rest seem like good 3rd rounders. AR15, Keenan Allen, Reed, Kelce, Alshon, Adams, Cooks are all still in the board. 
I like a few of those guys, but also really dislike CMC, DT, Nuk, AR15, Keenan, etc. The fact that we are talking about a QB and 2TEs is a sign that the 3rd round is weak MO. It seems weird to me that Reed went from being a late 3rd rounder in 2016 to a early 4th rounder in 2017 after having more concussion problems and scoring 3 ppg less. It seems like it should be a bigger drop to me. Also, Kelce is  potentially being overrated because he finished as TE1. It was a garbage year for TEs. Kelce's 13.8 ppg would have made him TE7 in 2015, TE4 in 2014 and TE4 in 2013. 

I like a few of those guys, but also really dislike CMC, DT, Nuk, AR15, Keenan, etc. The fact that we are talking about a QB and 2TEs is a sign that the 3rd round is weak MO. It seems weird to me that Reed went from being a late 3rd rounder in 2016 to a early 4th rounder in 2017 after having more concussion problems and scoring 3 ppg less. It seems like it should be a bigger drop to me. Also, Kelce is  potentially being overrated because he finished as TE1. It was a garbage year for TEs. Kelce's 13.8 ppg would have made him TE7 in 2015, TE4 in 2014 and TE4 in 2013. 
Minus the QB (the original "issue"), it seems like a normal 3rd round. I mentioned 14 WRs and RBs. 

What are you expecting in the 3rd? And what do you see as being different from other years? 

I'm just not sure where you are coming from here but I am interested. 

Minus the QB (the original "issue"), it seems like a normal 3rd round. I mentioned 14 WRs and RBs. 

What are you expecting in the 3rd? And what do you see as being different from other years? 

I'm just not sure where you are coming from here but I am interested. 
Maybe it's just me. There are usually several players in the 3rd round that excite me (I am often wrong on them so there is always that) but to me it looks weaker and  see less of a difference between the 3rd round and the 4th round than I usually expect. 

A rookie pass catching RB? Demaryius who has been trending down in a bad offense- he has a limited ceiling. AR15 and Nuk were massive busts last year and I don't see whats changed this year. Keenan is strictly a high volume guy on a team that seems to have a wealth of pass catchers- plus he did blow his knee out last year.  Lamar Miller was RB18 last year and there is already talk of reducing his workload. Adams isn't very good, but I get the TD upside. I like Sammy, Alshon and Cooks (especially for best ball). 

For private leagues, yes.
Yeah, but if I'm going to go private league I'd almost rather try one of those "Reality Sports Online" auctions because it looks like it was built around auctions/contracts. If we could get a few people interested in a dynasty RSO league I'd be in. It would be a little more expensive though.

I went back and looked at my roster from the single league I won last year (huge sample size, I know) and it was from the 1.02 spot. Took Bell at 1.02 but in general it was a lot different than I thought it was going to be. I'm not sure how many other leagues that I had Bell but it seems like the "Everything but WR" strategy worked.

Anyone else taken a look at their winning teams from last year? Did you notice anything different about them?

Draft/Team:

Rounds 1-4 RB (Bell, Martin, McCoy, Rawls)

Rounds 5&6 QB (Rodgers, Newton)

Rounds 7&8 TE (Eifert, Ertz)

Rounds 9 - 14 WR (Diggs, Wallace, Garçon, Josh Gordon, Tyler Boyd, Crowder)

Round 15 and 17 D (Min, Den)

Round 16 and 18 WR (Kearse, Demarcus Robinson)

Round 19 RB (Chris Johnson)

Round 20 TE (Henry)

Users who are viewing this thread