What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Best Ball (MFL10s, DRAFT, etc.) (1 Viewer)

Jordan Wilkins was my guy I couldn’t find. Found him. Sorry for all the drama.
No problem at all. This weekend players have been added very quickly at MFL so it may not have been there one moment, and been there the next.

MFL has done a pretty amazing job keeping up with the players, and updating the teams they play on. There may be small UI quibbles now and again, or they schedule maintenance at less than an ideal times now and again but overall this weekend underscores that MFL really is the best service out there imo.

Getting close to the end here. Anyone having trouble digging deep for that last player? I've still got a pretty good list. 

In the MFL10's I typically leaned 1 team defense in April. In this draft I took 2. Given the extra roster spots I may have taken 3 if a sleeper defense had been available late. 

It seemed like the group consensus was taking 3 team defenses but one team, Hoosier FIRE took 7 defenses. Any explanation there?

I'd be interested in doing this again but I need a week or two. 

Thank you for everyone drafting quickly. It really makes it enjoyable and it's rare to find such a group.

As I mentioned earlier, the ADP is off and very much dynasty slanted. I ignored it at some point and went with old school stuff. I was going team by team looking for players and I enjoyed that; in some dorky way, I guess I missed the old days and maybe my handwritten cheatsheets from then too.

I picked the wrong rookie TE and then the right one. I don't much like the south carolina guy but love Goedert. Whatever, it's April.

Getting close to the end here. Anyone having trouble digging deep for that last player? I've still got a pretty good list. 

In the MFL10's I typically leaned 1 team defense in April. In this draft I took 2. Given the extra roster spots I may have taken 3 if a sleeper defense had been available late. 

It seemed like the group consensus was taking 3 team defenses but one team, Hoosier FIRE took 7 defenses. Any explanation there?
This is an old theory. I considered it but maybe ten years ago most leagues put caps on player position limits as it angered everyone, so I didn't think it was a nice thing to do. Savvy years ago, but over time it just became annoying. 

A QB and a defense will score more than most players every week. The thinking is just to draft a lot of each (rather than later round hopefuls) and play the odds. It worked pretty well years ago.

I'm not accusing Hoosier. I'm just old. Guy could be 18 and never seen it before and had a completely original thought just at the same conclusion. 

This is an old theory. I considered it but maybe ten years ago most leagues put caps on player position limits as it angered everyone, so I didn't think it was a nice thing to do. Savvy years ago, but over time it just became annoying. 

A QB and a defense will score more than most players every week. The thinking is just to draft a lot of each (rather than later round hopefuls) and play the odds. It worked pretty well years ago.

I'm not accusing Hoosier. I'm just old. Guy could be 18 and never seen it before and had a completely original thought just at the same conclusion. 
In a 10 team I don’t think the “take all the defenses” plan works. 7 defenses still leaves 25 for 9 other teams. That’s 7 teams with 3 defenses and 2 with 2. Which makes me think it’s wasnt the strategy.

I would say the theory is just to try and guarantee that you “win” at, at least, one position every week. 

Maybe it is a theory that works in a league like this. We will find out. 

Yeah, now that you mention it I do remember that happening years ago. I feel like the last few years there has been so much discussion on optimal roster construction analysis I just haven't seen it in a long time.

I'm not saying it won't work, btw. It may be one of those strategies that has some value "IF" nobody else in the league is using it. I'd use the zero-RB theory as an example of this. If you are the only one employing that strategy it seemed to me it worked pretty well for a lot of people. But if 75%+ of the league is using it then it loses some of it's allure. If that's the case you kind of end up with slightly better than average WR's and terrible RB's(but a lot of them).

I think Borden sniped me more than any other specific team. I hope if we do another one of these in a couple of weeks I'm on one end of each round and he's on the other. Seemed almost like he was peering over my shoulder on every pick. (shaking fist at the Red Baron)

I think Borden sniped me more than any other specific team. I hope if we do another one of these in a couple of weeks I'm on one end of each round and he's on the other. Seemed almost like he was peering over my shoulder on every pick. (shaking fist at the Red Baron)
Sounds like you were planning on going with the old “draft bad players” strategy but I beat you to it. :D  But seriously I think I took a lot of very high risk guys. 

Then there’s guys like Bo Scarbrough going to Dallas broke my heart. Maybe the Cowboys will be winning by a bunch every game and rest Zeke in the 4th? And Penny going to Seattle really puts a damper on my guy Chris Carson but at least I have both of them. 

In a 10 team I don’t think the “take all the defenses” plan works. 7 defenses still leaves 25 for 9 other teams. That’s 7 teams with 3 defenses and 2 with 2. Which makes me think it’s wasnt the strategy.

I would say the theory is just to try and guarantee that you “win” at, at least, one position every week. 

Maybe it is a theory that works in a league like this. We will find out. 
it really depends on how the draft plays out. In this one, people waited oh so long to go defense, almost like kickers in redraft. By doing this, I think it's a good point for Hoosier to try the theory. Picking a D over a veteran that might rejuvenate his career or a rookie that's gonna be 4th WR or 3rd RB is probably going to score more points each week. The issue though is if it's the most points, not more. You're essentially hoping for a home run from a late draft pick.  I'm not sure everyone that does it understands this end of it.

I had some ex issues during this draft that were distracting me. I botched a couple picks and was playing some sort of catch up. If I could redo, I would have taken the top three defenses from last year. 13-15? I forget when. Y'all were waiting on Ds and I would feel pretty good about the top 3 Ds from a year ago.

Andrew Luck was an interesting player in the draft. I think he is in this vein too. When did he go, round 10? I was itching to take him. Someone beat me to it. I have a lot of issues with the Colts and the heart of the NFL's injury policy- Belichick and Shanny wrecked this many years ago but we are supposed to know what the deal is with that guy. The press was assured so much info back in the day and consequently, we'd know. Anywho...I think he was a real good risk at that point. I would take some bet that he will outscore others in that round and be the occasional starter in best ball. I don't know (because the updates stink and recovery and...) but that seems like a real savvy pick

Really tried slamming as many rooks as I could, over players who have done nothing in this league in several years of play. 

Rather throw darts than know Im getting nothing. 

Most Defenses seem to be pretty inconsistent in fantasy scoring (not looking this up, just an intuitive statement). So, having 7 might be a good idea. However, as @Borden said in 10 team 50/50 league it probably won't make much difference.

Good draft all. Pretty fast, especially as it was probably the first of the season for most.

This was reminder for me to read the rules. I assumed that, other than what we voted for, it would be the same as the old MFL10s. It wasn't until we were into it a few rounds that I realized we start 2 TEs minimum. 

it really depends on how the draft plays out. In this one, people waited oh so long to go defense, almost like kickers in redraft. By doing this, I think it's a good point for Hoosier to try the theory. Picking a D over a veteran that might rejuvenate his career or a rookie that's gonna be 4th WR or 3rd RB is probably going to score more points each week. The issue though is if it's the most points, not more. You're essentially hoping for a home run from a late draft pick.  I'm not sure everyone that does it understands this end of it.

I had some ex issues during this draft that were distracting me. I botched a couple picks and was playing some sort of catch up. If I could redo, I would have taken the top three defenses from last year. 13-15? I forget when. Y'all were waiting on Ds and I would feel pretty good about the top 3 Ds from a year ago.

Andrew Luck was an interesting player in the draft. I think he is in this vein too. When did he go, round 10? I was itching to take him. Someone beat me to it. I have a lot of issues with the Colts and the heart of the NFL's injury policy- Belichick and Shanny wrecked this many years ago but we are supposed to know what the deal is with that guy. The press was assured so much info back in the day and consequently, we'd know. Anywho...I think he was a real good risk at that point. I would take some bet that he will outscore others in that round and be the occasional starter in best ball. I don't know (because the updates stink and recovery and...) but that seems like a real savvy pick
I thought I was on the Def early. The argument against taking them is the high turnover in top FF Def and the positional value. You can only start 1 and they never get hurt. 

Eli has been my late round QB all year (my god it’s not even May). OBJ back, the rookie TE was top 5 FF and now Barkley and an improved OL. 

Really tried slamming as many rooks as I could, over players who have done nothing in this league in several years of play. 

That’s a terrible plan. You should’ve drafted only veteran RBs like I did. 

One of the real advantages in a deep league is you have so many more darts to throw. You have the freedom to throw them at rookies and/or high injury risk players you are interested in but typically would be afraid to take them in a draft-and-go format because that potential "0" all season long is a tough pill to swallow when you get it wrong with small rosters.

And yes, when you can't make any roster adjustments throughout the year 20 man rosters are small. Just go check how many different players are actually on your typical waiver/wire league over the course of a year. I'd be shocked if it's 20 or fewer. People leave these draft-and-go's with the idea they have a solid roster but I don't think they realize that sometimes by week 10 they have no RB's even playing due to injuries/bye. The TE position is even worse.

Most Defenses seem to be pretty inconsistent in fantasy scoring (not looking this up, just an intuitive statement). So, having 7 might be a good idea. However, as @Borden said in 10 team 50/50 league it probably won't make much difference.

Good draft all. Pretty fast, especially as it was probably the first of the season for most.

This was reminder for me to read the rules. I assumed that, other than what we voted for, it would be the same as the old MFL10s. It wasn't until we were into it a few rounds that I realized we start 2 TEs minimum. 
Hahahahaha. I also didn’t read the rules. When everyone was talking about 2 TEs, I had Jimmy and Henry already and was thinking “TE is set maybe I will take a shot on a random or two late.” Nope. My “randoms” were flying off the board. In a $10 league it’s a fun curve ball/punishment mid draft for not paying attention.

Only 5 RBs though. You’re a gambling man with the amount of injuries that happen at that position.
I feel like I have ok depth at RB, but I really went into this expecting to take 9+ WR's. Waited too long on my TE2 and ended up going at least one TE too many. Also ended up with 4QB even though I had intended on taking only three.

We've got a pretty good set of guys ready to play in a best-ball auction. It's pretty rare to get an opportunity to play in a best ball auction in my experience. 

There will likely be a lot of chirping if you overspend so you may need a thick skin. 

For anyone who hasn't drafted in the new MFL10s, but will be. I just started this week. So far I've found the draftroom to be fairly straightforward and easy, the default rankings a good start, very few teams seem to use autodraft.

For anyone who hasn't drafted in the new MFL10s, but will be. I just started this week. So far I've found the draftroom to be fairly straightforward and easy, the default rankings a good start, very few teams seem to use autodraft.
That’s on the Fanball site?

We've got a pretty good set of guys ready to play in a best-ball auction. It's pretty rare to get an opportunity to play in a best ball auction in my experience. 

There will likely be a lot of chirping if you overspend so you may need a thick skin. 
I'll be making some TERRIBLE bids.  I know zero about auctions.  What I do know is that I'm shooting for Josh Gordon and  a lot of other Browns.

I'll be making some TERRIBLE bids.  I know zero about auctions.  What I do know is that I'm shooting for Josh Gordon and  a lot of other Browns.
Well, it will be easier to get them 'cos Soulfly won't be in the auction. Which is too bad because he seems to be counting his winnings from the first league already. 

If you really think about it Soulfly you will be playing with house money in this league! How can you lose?

Well, it will be easier to get them 'cos Soulfly won't be in the auction. Which is too bad because he seems to be counting his winnings from the first league already. 

If you really think about it Soulfly you will be playing with house money in this league! How can you lose?
Ok, nevermind.  No reason to bid on that trash.

Unfortunately due to work obligations I dont have the time to take part in the auction. 

But Id win that anyways. So just be happy Im not involved.

Unfortunately due to work obligations I dont have the time to take part in the auction. 

But Id win that anyways. So just be happy Im not involved.
You will definitely be missed. If nothing else it would have been worth $10 watching you and some of the others play a game of chicken as to how high they could get you to pay Gordon.

Has anyone in the thread ever participated in a best-ball auction before?

If you really cared about this relationship, you'd make the effort.
:cry:
He'll get the itch. The best thing about a slow auction is that you only have to check in twice a day and you won't miss out on bidding on anyone.

If I was a Browns fan this would be the most exciting football season to look forward to in many, many years. I think they finish over .500 this year. And that's if they don't get anything out of Mayfield/Callaway imo. The last time I have seen a Browns team with this much talent I think Schottenheimer was coaching them.

Hey fella's, for those that are in the best ball auction league we are now full and the auction will start on Monday. There's a thread on the league page to nominate two players(one AFC, one NFC) so please nominate sometime by Monday. 

There isn't much best-ball auction talk in here. I think the draft we had kind of fell right during the NFL draft and there wasn't as much opportunity for discussion/criticism/trash-talk because of it. One of the great things about an auction is you don't need to hold cards close to your chest, it's all pretty much out there. I'm sure there will be plenty of people saying, "You paid WAY too much for......" but there's also a fair amount of teams each year that have a bunch of "good" players. No chance at a few great players, just a big group of ball-4-walks. Hopefully, the large rosters allow everyone to take a few swings for the fences... we'll see if everyone has the same favorite long-shots. I will say that in early drafts I'm a little surprised how valuable people think Kenny Golladay is(as an example). Who are your guys that you think the community is way too high on in best-ball at this point?

Will there be more of these?
Sure. I think they are great fun and a different challenge than the MFL10's, which are the most common best-ball leagues played. 

I don't think there are enough best-ball type auctions so I'd love to have one going at different points all offseason(since they don't take anytime to manage during the football season).

Eventually if there is any interest I'd love to do an IDP-best-ball-auction.... but that's a little too hardcore for most people, unfortunately.

Trying to fill this draft-and-go so please PM me if interested.....

http://www51.myfantasyleague.com/2018/home/31439#0

In terms of the auction-and-go league that we are in the middle of there have been a few surprises to me at least.

- Kamara $30 vs Dalvin Cook $19

I am usually pretty close to lock-step with Follow Me and his evaluations but I was certainly surprised to see him go so high for Kamara. It is worth noting that he locked up Ingram for $6 so having the N.O. backfield for $36 looks better than just having Kamara for $30 imo.

- Barkley $26 vs McCaffery $15

These are by the same owner interestingly enough. I guess I'm just down on Barkley but I wouldn't be all that shocked if these guys were much closer to the same numbers than most people realize. It's a rare RB in the NFL that gets ALL the workload. Maybe Barkely is one of those guys, but I would have to see him prove it first. My biggest regret in the auction thus far is not trying harder to get McCaffery. That's the great thing about auction-and-go.... you only have ONE shot to get your player so every bid means that much more. It's not like you can just trade for him later.

What are some of the other bigger surprises? Regrets?

Guys has anyone done the new MFL 10 yet? I have some credits and finally joined one. Is there a team page where you can create a team name and track other things? I hate the homepage. There is nothing on it or does that change once the draft is complete? 

Trying to fill this draft-and-go so please PM me if interested.....

http://www51.myfantasyleague.com/2018/home/31439#0
If you've ever wanted to take a FBG's $ just wanted to point out that local celebrity Maurile Tremblay will be participating in this league. I've participated in leagues with him in the past and he's a pretty sharp cookie, but your best bet is to get him rambling about roulette "strategies" to throw him off his game. Only two openings left in the league. It would be great to start this league early this week.

MT doesn't post in this thread so hopefully he'll add to the chatter. I think the "new" MFL10's are kind of strangling the life out of the best-ball talk. Maybe it's just early in the fantasy season.

There’s a few guys that I’m liking late...

Cameron Meredith (143.2 ADP): Going to the Saints, was getting a lot of “breakout” love before his injury with BEARS.

Kalen Ballage (196.8): Drake might default to the top of the depth chart but I don’t think he has a stranglehold on that spot. Ballage has demonstrated the physical ability to be an every down back. He’s also a PFF favourite.

Eli Manning (170.9): OBJ, Barkley, Engram is a legitimate trio. Revamped OL. Strong division that is capable of producing lots of high scoring games.

Chris Carson (ADP is messed up 104): He is a very high gamble but Penny could struggle early as he adjusts to the NFL and gets his pass pro up to par. 

*** Underrated: Ronald Jones (86.0): He has potential to be a workhorse and you can take him in the 7th or 8th round. 

*** Great value: Will Fuller (76.6): Fuller was custom made for best ball leagues. Year 3, Watson back. Fuller with Watson (4 games) 13/279/7

Eli Manning (170.9): OBJ, Barkley, Engram is a legitimate trio. Revamped OL. Strong division that is capable of producing lots of high scoring games.
I definitely like Eli where he's going and it's hard to over estimate just what a big difference both OBJ/Barkley will add to that offense.... but I still think that OL is poo. I also wouldn't be shocked at all if Jonathen Stewart turns into the guy FF fans love to hate if he becomes a TD-vulture. I also expect a big spike in efficiency by both Sheppard and Engram as defenses suddenly are forced to treat them as afterthoughts instead of the entire focus like last year. Engram has a real chance to finish as TE#1 imo.

Users who are viewing this thread