What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Dynasty: Tre McBride, WR (1 Viewer)

Don Quixote

Footballguy
I didn't see much in a search on him, but I like what I've seen (more so than some of the other incoming rookies with threads) and thought I'd fire up a thread on him. Some links:

Tre McBride Could Prove to Be Big 2015 NFL Draft Steal

Tre McBride: 2015 NFL Draft Scouting Report

Josh Norris rankings: #54 overall

NFL.com profile

Bloom: "[M]cbride is one of the most graceful WRs in this class. smooth mover, love the way he plays the ball in the air"

Not stellar production in college, but not much of a QB to work with. Watching the highlight videos in some of those links and on the web, as Bloom said, he's pretty smooth. Seems to have good skills at high-pointing the ball. Played well even facing stiffer competition like WVU and at the Shrine Game. (Obviously, highlights aren't the best to look at a player, but what I could look at.) Good combine performance with a 4.41 40 and good times in the shuttle and first 10 yards. Most frequent comparison I've seen in googling is to Pierre Garcon.

And, FWIW, pretty smart since he was admitted to Harvard.

...He could never make the adjustment to the NFL, but he seems intriguing as a small school sleeper who might be available later in fantasy drafts and turn into a nice FF asset.

Last edited by a moderator:
Mcbride and Bell are the two mid round WRs that I like the most.
Yeah, I like Bell too. I know Waldman is a fan of Bell as well; kind of curious where he will rate McBride.

It surprises me how far under-the-radar McBride is; I had to e-mail MFL today to ask to have him added to the database.

Last edited by a moderator:
Rotoworld:

The biggest question surrounding William & Mary WR Tre McBride, according to ESPN's Kevin Weidl, is "if he can become more consistent with his approach to the game" in order to reach his potential.

The analyst believes McBride is right on the Day 2/Day 3 line right now. The 6-foot, 205-pounder drew rave reviews throughout Senior Bowl week from the scouting community. NFL Media draft analyst Lance Zierlein compares the William & Mary star's skill-set to Patriots' WR Brandon LaFell. McBride, who posted 64 receptions for 809 yards and four touchdowns last season, ran a 4.41 forty at the combine and "looked outstanding catching the ball with smooth routes and above average body control," CBS Sports' Dane Brugler noted, adding that McBride is a "Pierre Garcon-like player" who "has the tape that could land him in the top-100 and his combine performance won't hurt that prediction."

Mar 21 - 8:49 PM
Source: Kevin Weidl on Twitter
NFL Media's Daniel Jeremiah believes that William & Mary WR Tre McBride would be a good fit for Andrew Luck.

"Not a lot of people know about (McBride)," Jeremiah said. "When you study him on tape, we saw him at the East-West (Shrine) Game, he was outstanding. He's somebody that ran a little bit faster than you expected at 4.41." According to the analyst, McBride could be a nice value pick to replace Reggie Wayne, and a good complementary piece to slot next to T.Y. Hilton and 2014 third-rounder Donte Moncrief. Interestingly, one of McBride's most popular NFL comparisons is a former Colts receiver. CBS Sports' Dane Brugler calls McBride a "Pierre Garcon-like player."

Mar 7 - 8:19 PM
Source: NFL.com
William & Mary WR Tre McBride is "now a Day 2 pick," according to ESPN's Mel Kiper.

"He's moved up the board since the end of the season, with 4.41 speed not hurting his cause," Kiper wrote. McBride ran an unofficial 4.41 in the 40-yard dash at the combine and "looked outstanding catching the ball with smooth routes and above average body control," CBS Sports' Dane Brugler noted, adding that McBride is a "Pierre Garcon-like player" who "has the tape that could land him in the top-100 and his combine performance won't hurt that prediction."

Mar 1 - 1:11 PM
Source: ESPN Insider
William & Mary senior WR Tre McBride is a "Pierre Garcon-like player" who "has the tape that could land him in the top-100 and his combine performance won't hurt that prediction," wrote CBS Sports' Dane Brugler.

"He ran an unofficial 4.41 in the 40-yard dash [at the combine] and looked outstanding catching the ball with smooth routes and above average body control," Brugler wrote. "McBride gathers himself so effortlessly in his route breaks, showing off natural hands and overall receiver traits." NFL Media draft analyst Lance Zierlein compares the William & Mary star's skill-set to Patriots' WR Brandon LaFell. McBride posted 64 receptions for 809 yards and four touchdowns last season.

Feb 22 - 1:15 AM
Source: CBS Sports
NFL Media draft analyst Lance Zierlein believes William & Mary senior WR Tre McBride needs to build on his solid week at Shrine practices "with a serviceable 40-yard dash at the combine."
"He had a solid week at Shrine practices and needs to build on that with a serviceable 40-yard dash at the combine, as his play speed and ability to get separation on the NFL level is in question," Zierlein wrote. Evaluators have observed that McBride doesn't stretch the field on vertical routes or after catch. Zierlein compares the William & Mary star's skill-set to New England Patriots' WR Brandon LaFell.

Feb 12 - 3:49 PM
William & Mary senior WR Tre McBride "not only looked like the most talented receiver during [shrine Game] week, but also the most polished," observed the Sporting News' Chris Kouffman.
"His speed and precise footwork were noteworthy," Kouffman wrote. "He showed the most consistency in separating from man coverage and catching the ball." The 6-foot, 205-pounder with 4.5 speed drew absolute rave reviews throughout the week from the scouting community. "Smaller, quick receivers in all-star practices often can separate and catch early in the week as corners give them lots of space during coverage drills," Kouffman wrote. "As the days go by, those DBs inevitably become more aggressive and physical in their coverage, and a lot of receivers wilt like lettuce under a heat lamp. McBride continued to create separation and finish plays. This bodes well for him as he tries to make it to the next level." McBride posted 64 receptions for 809 yards and four touchdowns this season.

Source: Sporting News
Jan 19 - 10:44 PM
William & Mary senior WR Tre McBride "generated some buzz this week with his performance in practices and showed impressive fluidity as a route-runner" in the Shrine Game, noted CBS Sports' Rob Rang.
"He showed good balance and burst outside to generate separation, as well as enough suddenness to sneak past corners on double-moves," Rang wrote. "McBride caught a few passes, showing good hands, but was unable to keep a shorter corner from slapping the ball away late in the game." The 6-foot, 205-pounder with 4.5 speed collected 64 receptions for 809 yards and four touchdowns this season for the Tribe. McBride's stock is ascending.

Jan 18 - 9:14 PM
William & Mary senior WR Tre McBride had two catches for 23 yards at Saturday's Shrine Game.
As with the game's other receivers, Rotoworld's No. 1 Shrine Game prospect suffered from poor quarterback play. "McBride consistently generated separation from corners in one on one drills at a variety of levels with a variety of routes," Josh Norris observed at practices. "McBride still came down with contested or acrobatic catches even when covered. He is not locked to one alignment and McBride could even win from the slot."

Source: Rotoworld
Jan 18 - 3:19 PM
William & Mary senior WR Tre McBride "arguably had the best week out of all the receivers" at the East-West Shrine game, wrote ESPN's Steve Muench.
"He's gets off the line quickly, he accelerates out of breaks and he's looked explosive after the catch as well as running reverses," Muench wrote. "The 6-foot-1, 205-pound McBride has smaller hands (9-inch), which is a concern considering that he put the ball on the ground after one catch. However, he's caught the ball with his hands away from his frame for the most part, and he's flashed the ability to make contested catches." We would go a little beyond labeling McBride the best receiver at the event. Josh Norris calls him the best prospect period at Shrine week.

Source: ESPN Insider
Jan 17 - 7:38 PM
A week of observing East-West Shrine Game practices didn't change Dane Brugler's mind that William & Mary senior WR Tre McBride is the best pro prospect at the event.
On both accounts, we concur. "At 6-foot-1 and 205 pounds with 4.50 speed, he doesn't have imposing size or blazing speed, but he prides himself on the details, selling routes and using his foot quickness in his breaks to create just enough separation," Brugler wrote. "McBride did an excellent job attacking the ball in the air with his quick eyes and hands, also taking reps as a punt returner. He is more smooth than explosive, reminding me a lot of Pierre Garcon when he entered the NFL out of Mount Union. Although he comes from the FCS level, McBride has impressed against FBS competition in the past (West Virginia in 2013, Virginia Tech in 2014) and certainly did again this week." McBride logged 64 catches for 809 yards and four touchdowns this season. "The clear top prospect at the event," wrote Josh Norris. "McBride consistently generated separation from corners in one on one drills at a variety of levels with a variety of routes."

Jan 17 - 4:04 PM

William & Mary senior WR Tre McBride is "a smooth athlete who tracks the ball well," wrote NFL Media analyst Daniel Jeremiah.
"McBride doesn't have elite speed, but he does run well and moves easily in and out of cuts," added College Football 24/7 writer Mike Huguenin. "McBride is a savvy route runner with good hands." The 6-foot, 205-pounder with 4.5 speed collected 64 receptions for 809 yards and four touchdowns this season, and finished with 63 receptions for 801 yards and five touchdowns in 2013. He is also a skilled return man.

Jan 17 - 2:39 PM

Yesterday Football Guys Matt Waldman and Sigmond Bloom broke down tape and spoke for over an hour of film room study of WR Trey McBride.

I had been hearing about this kid from other sources so I checked out what they had to day and Waldman and Bloom give plenty of good reasons why they like him.

Go to the link to see the video.

http://mattwaldmanrsp.com/2015/04/10/rlv-4102015-rsp-film-room-no-38-wsigmund-bloom/

RLV 4/10/2015 + RSP Film Room No.38 w/Sigmund BloomBy Matt Waldman 1 day ago( 0 )

RSP Film Room No.38 – Tre McBride w/Sigmund Bloom

Apologies to George Kritikos who asked me about McBride in the DLF Q&A, but I politely nixed the question so I could wait to discuss him the first time here. McBride is a player I believe could have kidnapped Amari Cooper, donned a Crimson Tide uniform, and–if he knew the offense–could have tricked most of the football-watching public.

However, more than just a show about McBride, Bloom and I delve into concepts that are essential to evaluation:

• Fast processing of knowledge.
  • How fluidity and fast processing contributes to Integrated Technique.
  • When small-school competition doesn’t matter and when (maybe) it does.
  • Why football performance is as much music and literature as it is science and strategy.
  • Where McBride’s game displays a potentially strong fit in an timing offense.
  • Why McBride is a better punt return prospect than kick return prospect.
For a complete list of RSP Film Room episodes, check out this page. Future guests on the horizon include Dan Hatman, Kyle Crabbs, Will Hewlett, and Jordan Plocher.

Rotoworld:

Tre McBride - WR - Tribe

William & Mary WR Tre McBride's "pro-ready build, body control and hand-eye coordination project very well to the next level," writes CBS Sports' Rob Rang.

McBride is a converted running back who showed quick aptitude towards his new position. "McBride shows surprising vision and body control as a receiver, consistently winning contested passes because of his ability to track and high-point the ball," Rang wrote. "McBride isn't as explosive as his 40-yard time would suggest but he's a legitimate top-100 candidate who could surprise with a relatively smooth transition to the NFL." NFL Media draft analyst Lance Zierlein compares the William & Mary star's skill-set to Patriots' WR Brandon LaFell. McBride, who posted 64 receptions for 809 yards and four touchdowns last season, ran a 4.41 forty at the combine and "looked outstanding catching the ball with smooth routes and above average body control," CBS Sports' Dane Brugler noted, adding that McBride is a "Pierre Garcon-like player."

Apr 13 - 7:49 PM

Rotoworld:

Tre McBride - WR - Tribe

William & Mary WR Tre McBride "does not show explosive speed, [but] he runs so smoothly that he lulls defenders into underestimating how much ground he is covering," writes NFLDraftScout.com's Frank Cooney.

"In a draft full of conspicuous talent at wide receiver, McBride becomes difficult to rate by comparison, especially since he played at a lower level in college," Cooney wrote. "He has potential, but may take a couple of years to pay off consistently." In addition to Cooney, both Rotoworld and NFL Media Senior Analyst and former Dallas Cowboys executive Gil Brandt like McBride. "McBride is a wide receiver who's probably going to surprise a lot of people who aren't draftniks. The fact that 18 teams were [at his pro day] to see him gives you a good hint of his abilities, and he's also had separate workouts with six teams," Brandt said.

Apr 18 - 8:55 PM

Yesterday Football Guys Matt Waldman and Sigmond Bloom broke down tape and spoke for over an hour of film room study of WR Trey McBride.

I had been hearing about this kid from other sources so I checked out what they had to day and Waldman and Bloom give plenty of good reasons why they like him.

http://mattwaldmanrsp.com/2015/04/10/rlv-4102015-rsp-film-room-no-38-wsigmund-bloom/

RLV 4/10/2015 + RSP Film Room No.38 w/Sigmund BloomBy Matt Waldman 1 day ago( 0 )

Apologies to George Kritikos who asked me about McBride in the DLF Q&A, but I politely nixed the question so I could wait to discuss him the first time here. McBride is a player I believe could have kidnapped Amari Cooper, donned a Crimson Tide uniform, and–if he knew the offense–could have tricked most of the football-watching public.

However, more than just a show about McBride, Bloom and I delve into concepts that are essential to evaluation:

• Why football performance is as much music and literature as it is science and strategy.
For a complete list of RSP Film Room episodes, check out this page. Future guests on the horizon include Dan Hatman, Kyle Crabbs, Will Hewlett, and Jordan Plocher.
:confused: Are all 32 teams just missing the boat on him or is he just too long term of a project?

The man himself:

https://twitter.com/Uno_Dos_Tre3/status/594649523357622272

@joshnfldraft 18 of 32 teams called me requesting PFA..all said they had no idea how i fell. Lets not throw out any "diva" nonsense
Pretty diva response to nearly going undrafted, Tre. Way to prove everyone wrong.
How is it "diva"? He told his side in a straightforward way. Unless you think he's lying. But who knows what the real truth is. Being a diva certainly isn't as bad domestic violence and drug possession (DGB).

I don't get the diva stuff.

Can you go to a small school and be a diva in the NFL? Is that even possible with everyone having more impressive resumes?

Most, if not all, small school guys seem to have the best attitudes or work ethic and are usually those camp fan favorites on the roster bubble.

I like how the Titans bust chops and make players work harder if they show diva qualities. In a tough guy society like the NFL, I think that's how it should be. If he is, he will be one tired WR.

Sounds like a diva

Maureen Scoville · Batavia, New York
met tre on plane to buffalo wonderful lad wish him all the best

:confused: Are all 32 teams just missing the boat on him or is he just too long term of a project?
That was good.

Picked him in the 6th round of a 12 team PPR rookie draft.

He's been backing up Wright and it looks like that'll be his role in 2015. Wright did get renewed for 2016.

An injury could make him FF relevant, without that I'm not sure about him in 2015

Like Charles Johnson they could try and sneak him on the practice squad and someone else with injured WR's could nab him. Coxson in Green Bay could be another such player.

Like Charles Johnson they could try and sneak him on the practice squad and someone else with injured WR's could nab him. Coxson in Green Bay could be another such player.
I can't imagine a scenario where he is cut

I can.

Johnson was hurt all training camp and didnt play, something like that could happen. Its too j3arly to predict what will happen.

What has he done so far to endear himself to the coaches?

I can.

Johnson was hurt all training camp and didnt play, something like that could happen. Its too j3arly to predict what will happen.

He has been perfect-just what ya want in a rook WR. He regularly gets compared to a veteran.

They increased Wright's role significantly this year, to jump in, know the plays and back him up is significant.

It's been totally painless thus far-zero wrong route, dropped ball, missed practice articles...zero negativity whatsoever. The guy just came and got to work. They have the loudest WR coach so it's oddly special that we haven't heard of him getting barked at by Jefferson as well.

Stats and production will matter. Often times I think it's hard to get noticed as a backup with limited reps, but I think he'll be fine. I think there's April fans and college fans that will be more intrigued by the Titans 2nd string than their first. It should be an interesting preseason.

I need to see this F position rotation used in a regular season game before I jump to conclusions but I'm very intrigued. The way I understand it, he is more likely here than Wright. h

With Wright in the last year of his contract I'd be surprised if they cut McBride. Wright will cost $7+ million to keep next year and needs a good year to prove he's worth it.

With Wright in the last year of his contract I'd be surprised if they cut McBride. Wright will cost $7+ million to keep next year and needs a good year to prove he's worth it.
he got a year added, your thread a while back

I can.

He has been perfect-just what ya want in a rook WR. He regularly gets compared to a veteran.

They increased Wright's role significantly this year, to jump in, know the plays and back him up is significant.

It's been totally painless thus far-zero wrong route, dropped ball, missed practice articles...zero negativity whatsoever. The guy just came and got to work. They have the loudest WR coach so it's oddly special that we haven't heard of him getting barked at by Jefferson as well.

Stats and production will matter. Often times I think it's hard to get noticed as a backup with limited reps, but I think he'll be fine. I think there's April fans and college fans that will be more intrigued by the Titans 2nd string than their first. It should be an interesting preseason.

I need to see this F position rotation used in a regular season game before I jump to conclusions but I'm very intrigued. The way I understand it, he is more likely here than Wright. h
That's great, Thanks for that info, the only thing I've seen is him saying with limited opportunities he has to make the best of them. I like his 245 twitter handle. hope he stays slighted.

I just thought if he's hurt in TC like Johnson was they may try and sneak him on the PS.

That was good.

Picked him in the 6th round of a 12 team PPR rookie draft.
William and Mary is a small college but for him to fall that far... I dunno the reason but I suspect he's got some sorta flaw that would not have dropped him that far but couple with coming from such a small college and in such a deep WR draft class the year after another deep WR draft class, well... Maybe all of those factors came into play but he 'probably' had something in the file other than he came from a small college.

From the NFL.

WEAKNESSES Rumored to have blazing speed, but doesn't show up on tape. Rarely runs away from defense on vertical routes or after catch. Average acceleration off of release. Rounds off routes and won't get much acceleration out of breaks. Needs to improve selling routes. Balance at top of his routes is inconsistent because he will ride too high into cuts. Scouts say inability to separate is biggest concern for him.

DRAFT PROJECTION Round 3 or 4 NFL COMPARISON Brandon LaFell BOTTOM LINE Teams will have to answer questions about his level of ability to get open because he has the art of catching the ball down pat. Vertical speed and separation quickness appear to be average considering his competition level, so teams must figure out whether to keep him outside or utilize his size and toughness over the middle in the slot.

Jeremiah says this

William & Mary WR Tre McBride: Jeremiah said McBride (6-foot-1, 205 pounds) has stood out because he is "a smooth athlete who tracks the ball well." McBride doesn't have blazing speed, but he does almost seem to glide at times, moving easily in and out of cuts. McBride also has return skills and seems a lock to be the first William & Mary wide receiver drafted since 1973 (David Knight was an 11th-round pick by the New York Jets). McBride, who is from the Atlanta suburbs, finished his career with 196 receptions for 2,753 yards and 19 touchdowns. He would be the first offensive player from the FCS school drafted since 1992 and the fifth overall from the school this century.

William and Mary is a small college but for him to fall that far... I dunno the reason but I suspect he's got some sorta flaw that would not have dropped him that far but couple with coming from such a small college and in such a deep WR draft class the year after another deep WR draft class, well... Maybe all of those factors came into play but he 'probably' had something in the file other than he came from a small college.
I think it's like you said. On twitter, it seemed like so many reporters tried to dig and find out why he fell and they all came up empty so it sent me back to small school being the drawback.

I think it's like you said. On twitter, it seemed like so many reporters tried to dig and find out why he fell and they all came up empty so it sent me back to small school being the drawback.
Small school is a huge drawback and FCS WR's rarely get drafted before the 6th. It's risky taking a FCS WR and McBride lacks the size (6-3+) teams look for in small school prospects.

I thought the rumor was poor interviews. Was that debunked?

Same reason Carl Davis fell despite his big upside.

BoltBacker said:
Bri said:
Bracie Smathers said:
I thought the rumor was poor interviews. Was that debunked?

Same reason Carl Davis fell despite his big upside.
I did a little bit of digging and did not find he interviewed poorly but I only scanned for 'poor interviews' and 'Tre McBride' and only got directed to the 'diva' reports. Maybe he came across that way during interviews. I checked out his twitter account and he's got some 'raw' things there where it could be construed as 'cocky' and quite a bit insensitive but I didn't pick up diva.

I think that with soo many WR options that teams were looking to screen out prospects so any small school prospect who gave off any hints of cockiness could have been labeled a diva which could have dropped him further than expected. His size/speed and combine numbers are solid even if they are not spectacular. Oh and his twitter handle? #245 so it seems he's using his drop in the draft as a motivator so he's got a chip on his shoulder.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/eye-on-football/25172737/tre-mcbride-changes-twitter-name-to-pick-245-after-nfl-draft-fall

Titans' last selection changes Twitter name to 'Pick 245' after NFL Draft fallBy Will Brinson | NFL Writer

May 3, 2015 12:51 pm ETWhen athletes are snubbed it stokes a fire. Former William & Mary wideout Tre McBride is all kinds of lit up.

McBride was listed as a top 100 prospect by NFLDraftScout.com (99 overall) and the 15th-best wide receiver in this class. In February Dane Brugler called McBride a "Pierre Garcon-like player" with "tape that could land him in the top-100."

But McBride fell all the way to pick No. 245, where the Tennessee Titans scooped him up and made him part of an impressive wideout haul, including

Dorial Green-Beckham.

He's going to remember the slip, clearly, having changed his Twitter name to "Pick 245."

... McBride's fall was crazy -- maybe the small-school, Bill-Mary stigma hurt him?

He's got an uphill battle to climb from 245 to production. History tells us the 245th pick in the draft doesn't tend to produce big-time players (only nine dudes have double-digit starts).

Users who are viewing this thread