What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Boycott Indiana? (1 Viewer)

I do think it's an interesting question on how to deal with these two scenarios:

1. Ultra-religious baker who is offended by a gay couple getting married. Does he/she have to bake the wedding cake for them?

2. Gay person working at Kinkos who is offended by an ultra-religious person who wants to print signs that say "God Hates ####". Does the gay Kinkos employee have to print the sign?

i.e. Should we have laws that force people to put aside their personal beliefs and provide goods and services to any and all that want them? Or, should we allow business owners to discriminate and only serve those that they don't personally find offensive?

Again, I think we've seen that the latter fails. Can you imagine planning a road trip across America and having to avoid certain states because they won't fill up your tank or sell you lunch because you're traveling with a gay companion, or a black companion, or a Muslim???
My problem with 1 (not my only problem...but one of them) is that the ultra religious baker likely does not turn down someone who has committed other sins and makes their cake but will typically turn down gays. I doubt the baker is doing background checks to make sure she is not making a cake for an adulterer. Does she make cakes for gluttons too? Well, probably...it is cake after all.

The gay kinkos employee could likely appeal to his/her boss and say he/she would rather not make such copies. How it works after that...I don't know.
I think to be consistent, if we're going to demand that the baker put aside his/her beliefs and bake the cake for the gay couple, we have to also ask the gay Kinkos employee to print the sign. UNLESS its determined that the phrase "God Hates ####" is considered "hate speech". I guess we get into a freedom of speech discussion at that point, and whether or not and/or where the lines should be drawn. But, again, to be consistent, we're going to demand, via law, that everyone put aside their personal beliefs in most instances and serve everyone. I like the ruling that Saints posted out of NM. We all have to compromise a little. That's part of living in a free society.
Ignoring the small straw man here (the notion that one needs to avoid entire states) I don't think federal or state legislation is necessary in either case. If a business owner doesn't want a certain demogrpahic's money, that's their decision...albeit probably a poor decision. On a similar note, if one doesn't want to help a customer because of their hate speech, that's between that individual and their boss. At that point it's a customer service and public perception issue. Let the market decide what's appropriate.
So, you'd be OK if a small roadside diner in East Bum####, Texas had a sign out front that said "Whites Only"?

I do think it's an interesting question on how to deal with these two scenarios:

1. Ultra-religious baker who is offended by a gay couple getting married. Does he/she have to bake the wedding cake for them?

2. Gay person working at Kinkos who is offended by an ultra-religious person who wants to print signs that say "God Hates ####". Does the gay Kinkos employee have to print the sign?

i.e. Should we have laws that force people to put aside their personal beliefs and provide goods and services to any and all that want them? Or, should we allow business owners to discriminate and only serve those that they don't personally find offensive?

Again, I think we've seen that the latter fails. Can you imagine planning a road trip across America and having to avoid certain states because they won't fill up your tank or sell you lunch because you're traveling with a gay companion, or a black companion, or a Muslim???
My problem with 1 (not my only problem...but one of them) is that the ultra religious baker likely does not turn down someone who has committed other sins and makes their cake but will typically turn down gays. I doubt the baker is doing background checks to make sure she is not making a cake for an adulterer. Does she make cakes for gluttons too? Well, probably...it is cake after all.

The gay kinkos employee could likely appeal to his/her boss and say he/she would rather not make such copies. How it works after that...I don't know.
I think to be consistent, if we're going to demand that the baker put aside his/her beliefs and bake the cake for the gay couple, we have to also ask the gay Kinkos employee to print the sign. UNLESS its determined that the phrase "God Hates ####" is considered "hate speech". I guess we get into a freedom of speech discussion at that point, and whether or not and/or where the lines should be drawn. But, again, to be consistent, we're going to demand, via law, that everyone put aside their personal beliefs in most instances and serve everyone. I like the ruling that Saints posted out of NM. We all have to compromise a little. That's part of living in a free society.
Ignoring the small straw man here (the notion that one needs to avoid entire states) I don't think federal or state legislation is necessary in either case. If a business owner doesn't want a certain demogrpahic's money, that's their decision...albeit probably a poor decision. On a similar note, if one doesn't want to help a customer because of their hate speech, that's between that individual and their boss. At that point it's a customer service and public perception issue. Let the market decide what's appropriate.
The market has a pretty ####ty track record.

Will be interesting to see what happens if someone of Muslim faith or non christian faith, used this law to discriminate against Christians. Will they get the same protection that Christians will get?

Will be interesting to see what happens if someone of Muslim faith or non christian faith, used this law to discriminate against Christians. Will they get the same protection that Christians will get?
I doubt it. This is only supposed to be for the majority to pick on the minorities.

So, you'd be OK if a small roadside diner in East Bum####, Texas had a sign out front that said "Whites Only"?
From a moral perspective? No. From a legal perspective? That's on them. Society will let them know what is thought of them.

Really? Someone brought up CFA a few posts back. The market seemed to work just fine in that case. Was it ####ty back in the day? Of course. Times are changing and technology is a powerful tool

Really? Someone brought up CFA a few posts back. The market seemed to work just fine in that case. Was it ####ty back in the day? Of course. Times are changing and technology is a powerful tool
You're a fool if you don't think there are places where segregated businesses would be welcome and supported.

And your solution to the effected people in that area would be to shrug and declare that the market has spoken.

Last edited by a moderator:
My grandfather was unable to live in the house he wanted because the community, in west Los Angeles, was "restricted"- Jews were not allowed. No amount of free market ended this discrimination because there weren't enough Jews to make an economic difference and nobody else was willing to boycott. In the end the law had to be changed prohibiting such discrimination.

Are you serious? That's a lock solid yes.

The tougher thing is what would happen if a gay couple went to a muslim or Jewish baker or photographer.

You're a fool if you don't think there are places where segregated businesses would be welcome and supported.

And your solution to the effected people in that area would be to shrug and declare that the market has spoken.
Sure, in small pockets this will obviously be true that's why I didn't say that. The difference today is that we'd know about them and know about them quickly. I have faith that the collective people of this country would do the right thing once they found out about it.

My grandfather was unable to live in the house he wanted because the community, in west Los Angeles, was "restricted"- Jews were not allowed. No amount of free market ended this discrimination because there weren't enough Jews to make an economic difference and nobody else was willing to boycott. In the end the law had to be changed prohibiting such discrimination.
We still have segregated police unions, private clubs, Mardi Gras clubs, etc.

Do gays even want to make some random baker sell them a cake if they don't want to?

This. Commish, sorry but I think you're solution would be disastrous. You really think the mom n pop businesses in the small towns of the Midwest give a flying crap about their social media profile? There'd be plenty of businesses doing just fine, thank you, in their small pockets of the country, serving their homogeneous local populations. And, outsiders would have to steer clear. Sounds like a great, united America to live in. :no:

Sure, in small pockets this will obviously be true that's why I didn't say that. The difference today is that we'd know about them and know about them quickly. I have faith that the collective people of this country would do the right thing once they found out about it.
I'm not a faith guy. Give me science and evidence and history any day.

Pretty sure there are still private clubs and country clubs here and there in CA that don't have any Jewish members?

I suppose it is possible that were social opprobrium not codified into law that places, such as in the hypothetical, might flourish. I hope not, but people constantly disappoint me, though I set the bar of expectations for them extremely low.

I wonder myself. I imagine I am driving through west Texas, with next gas and food not for 100 miles. I am very hungry, having skipped the last three meals. My gas tank is on 1/4 of a tank, meaning I've got 120 mile range w/o air conditioning, but maybe not 100 miles with. It's hot and getting hotter. I pull into Buford's Gas and Chow and see the whites only sign. What do I do? I'm white so I can get served. Fueling up and eating would both be prudent, assuming Buford is not the cook. Do I simply take a picture of the anachronistic sign and then follow my convictions by turning off my air conditioning and head at a prudent, gas-saving speed to the next town, or do I shrug about rednecks and spend my coin? My decision either way will have no effect on Buford's economic health, not unless followed by dozens more each week.

Do gays even want to make some random baker sell them a cake if they don't want to?
They should be happy sticking with their own kind.

Like the jets and the Sharks.

Is the right to conduct business with anyone you wish considered a protected right? Say I'm a conservative Jew and want to hire a PR firm to help me send out my pro-Israel message. That PR firm is owned by moderate Muslims who do not support Israel's actions in the region. They don't want to actively work to put out a message they disagree with. Can I as a conservative Zionist sue or otherwise compel that PR firm to work for me for a fair compensation?

What do you think would happen to a neighborhood like that in today's world if those rules didn't exist?

I think we should start a petition to have the name of the town that neighbors Gary, Indiana changed to Ace, Indiana.

This. Commish, sorry but I think you're solution would be disastrous. You really think the mom n pop businesses in the small towns of the Midwest give a flying crap about their social media profile? There'd be plenty of businesses doing just fine, thank you, in their small pockets of the country, serving their homogeneous local populations. And, outsiders would have to steer clear. Sounds like a great, united America to live in. :no:
Guess i just have more faith in society. There aren't many places to "hide" in this day and age.

What do you think would happen to a neighborhood like that in today's world if those rules didn't exist?
Most developers wouldn't discriminate. But some probably would.

It would be subjected to internet heckling.

"Evidence" seems an odd position to take here, given all the changes we are seeing in society. Evidence is pointing to people coming around to the attitude you deem preferable. The only way to hold your position of "only legislation telling people what they can/can't do will work" is to ignore the modern day evidence and hold on to the way it was in the past.

Guess i just have more faith in society. There aren't many places to "hide" in this day and age.
The faith thing is so adorable.

And you think people would still simply turn their heads? You don't think they would provide plenty of fodder for our "media" to the point where they'd influence the development's decision making?

Ha, ok, that was from Fran Lebowitz ultimately.

And you think people would still simply turn their heads? You don't think they would provide plenty of fodder for our "media" to the point where they'd influence the development's decision making?
The public would respond by forcing the politicians to make a law which made it illegal to discriminate. Which you would oppose.

"What they're doing is perfectly legal! Take your money elsewhere!"

The public would respond by forcing the politicians to make a law which made it illegal to discriminate. Which you would oppose.
Exactly.

"Evidence" seems an odd position to take here, given all the changes we are seeing in society. Evidence is pointing to people coming around to the attitude you deem preferable. The only way to hold your position of "only legislation telling people what they can/can't do will work" is to ignore the modern day evidence and hold on to the way it was in the past.
Evidence has shown it takes courts and laws. The public shaming helps, for sure, but it's not everything.

It's interesting to me that some of the very same people who constantly tell us that religion is important because it sets moral guidelines, and that without religious values there can be no morality, are now telling us that laws that enforce good behavior aren't necessary because people can either decide by themselves, or they will be pressured by "society" to behave in a moral fashion. Seems to be a contradiction here.

There's a difference between opposing and thinking it's not necessary. I don't have a problem with these types of laws. I just don't think they are necessary any more.

There's a difference between opposing and thinking it's not necessary. I don't have a problem with these types of laws. I just don't think they are necessary any more.
If you were governor of Indiana, and this law had reached your desk, would you have signed it or vetoed it?

Evidence has shown it takes courts and laws. The public shaming helps, for sure, but it's not everything.
What laws were enacted in the case of Chick-fil-a or any of the other situations like theirs? If public pressure can work on Chick-fil-a in this part of the country (Bible belt) it can work anywhere.

If you were governor of Indiana, and this law had reached your desk, would you have signed it or vetoed it?
Link to the bill so I can read it please.

Private businesses should be free to discriminate against whoever they want for whatever reasons they want. Your libertarian friend is right -- nobody should have the right to compel me into a business transaction against my will.

Obviously the same standard applies to the NFL and NCAA -- they're also free to take their business elsewhere if they don't like the law in Indiana, or wherever.

Yeah, I hate the "market will decide" argument. There's always a lag time in market responsiveness and that lag time =a lot of interim harm.

Since the bakery is the popular example, I'll address it.

If a gay couple comes into a Christian bakery and order a birthday cake, in no way shape or form, should the baker be allowed to refuse service to them. But, if they order a cake with a pro-lgbt message, they should be able to refuse, based on the service, not the people he's serving.

The refusal should be based on the service requested, not the individual's beliefs.

If a gay couple comes into a Christian bakery and order a birthday cake, in no way shape or form, should the baker be allowed to refuse service to them. But, if they order a cake with a pro-lgbt message, they should be able to refuse, based on the service, not the people he's serving.

The refusal should be based on the service requested, not the individual's beliefs.
This just happened in Bexley Ohio (about a 5 minute drive west of downtown Columbus).

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2998274/Videographer-refuses-film-sex-couple-s-wedding-spiritual-beliefs.html

Yeah, I hate the "market will decide" argument. There's always a lag time in market responsiveness and that lag time =a lot of interim harm.
That "lag time" is getting shorter and shorter, but for sake of this argument, let's assume it's still like it was in the 1950s. How does one quantify "a lot" of interim harm? Is there a significant difference between a gay man knowing that X establishment doesn't like his kind because they say so by not serving him and a gay man being being by an establishment he knows doesn't like his kind but have to serve him because the government says so?

This just happened in Bexley Ohio (about a 5 minute drive west of downtown Columbus).

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2998274/Videographer-refuses-film-sex-couple-s-wedding-spiritual-beliefs.html
And, while I don't agree with his choice, I support his right to decide on his own, what services he does or does not provide. Replace the cake in the bakery example with his pictures in this case and it's the same thing.

And, while I don't agree with his choice, I support his right to decide on his own, what services he does or does not provide. Replace the cake in the bakery example with his pictures in this case and it's the same thing.
What if you replace the lesbian couple with an interracial heterosexual couple. Putting aside the fact that it's illegal to discriminate based on race, should a business owner be allowed to discriminate based on race?

There's always a lag time in market responsiveness and that lag time =a lot of interim harm.
I think the "harm" argument runs the other way.

Starting from a libertarian point of view, your refusal to do business with me doesn't harm me at all. I had no particular claim on your services, so if you deny them to me, I haven't been made any worse off than I was before. Nobody would ever say that you harmed me by refusing to give me $100, for example. Same thing here.

The only harm is this discussion is the harm caused by anti-discrimination laws. When you force a bigot involuntarily to serve somebody who he wouldn't serve otherwise, he's been made worse off.

What laws were enacted in the case of Chick-fil-a or any of the other situations like theirs? If public pressure can work on Chick-fil-a in this part of the country (Bible belt) it can work anywhere.
The Chick-Fil-A flap is a poor example. Chick-Fil-A never denied to serve gays. Also: the company's sales actually increased due to the incredible popularity in some circles of their CEO's viewpoint. So really, the free market told them they had a lot of public support.

What if you replace the lesbian couple with an interracial heterosexual couple. Putting aside the fact that it's illegal to discriminate based on race, should a business owner be allowed to discriminate based on race?
Of course. It's literally the exact same principle.

Users who are viewing this thread