What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

horror stories of greed after a family member dies (1 Viewer)

I am reluctant to give you guys an update on my crazy ### situation because I doubt you care but there is a small amount of relief from posting the insane shenanigans of my MIL and my wifes sister.

Just delusional and psychotic behavior is creating a great amount of stress in our marriage. Not between my wife and I just something that we have to deal with. This sucks royally. And its all over money that we could give two ####s about.
:popcorn: do tell:

When my grandmother died, my mother was named executor. I have 3 uncles. All lived a significant distance away from my grandmother. My mother and I lived within 20 minutes, which makes no difference in this story. The entire estate (paltry) was to be split 4 ways equally. Everything was to be auctioned but the house, which went through the normal sale route. I was in college and my grandmother had an old canister vacuum, probably worth 5 bucks at auction. It sounded like a freight train. When we were cleaning out the house and getting things set out for the auction, it was agreed by everyone that I could just take the vacuum. I offered to buy it at the auction, but everyone said it was ok. I took the vacuum. My oldest uncle later (talking 2 months) decides that he thinks the value of the vacuum was $20, and feels like he was robbed of $5 minus auction fees... so $4.50ish? My mom didn't tell me about it for a few years, and when she did she said that her brother hadn't talked to her in a few years because she had flat refused to cave.

That weekend I drove 4.5 hours to his house with the vacuum. He wasn't home when I got there, which is fortunate because I was still pretty angry. So I left the vacuum on his porch and slid an envelope containing $5 inside his storm door. This was 2004. He and I haven't spoken since but he is now on good terms with my mom.

When my grandmother died, my mother was named executor. I have 3 uncles. All lived a significant distance away from my grandmother. My mother and I lived within 20 minutes, which makes no difference in this story. The entire estate (paltry) was to be split 4 ways equally. Everything was to be auctioned but the house, which went through the normal sale route. I was in college and my grandmother had an old canister vacuum, probably worth 5 bucks at auction. It sounded like a freight train. When we were cleaning out the house and getting things set out for the auction, it was agreed by everyone that I could just take the vacuum. I offered to buy it at the auction, but everyone said it was ok. I took the vacuum. My oldest uncle later (talking 2 months) decides that he thinks the value of the vacuum was $20, and feels like he was robbed of $5 minus auction fees... so $4.50ish? My mom didn't tell me about it for a few years, and when she did she said that her brother hadn't talked to her in a few years because she had flat refused to cave.

That weekend I drove 4.5 hours to his house with the vacuum. He wasn't home when I got there, which is fortunate because I was still pretty angry. So I left the vacuum on his porch and slid an envelope containing $5 inside his storm door. This was 2004. He and I haven't spoken since but he is now on good terms with my mom.
how do these people live with themselves? i am so glad my family is not like this....

Since he has the vacuum now, he owes you the $5 back, plus he owes $5 each to his 2 brothers & your mother.

:kicksrock:

I am reluctant to give you guys an update on my crazy ### situation because I doubt you care but there is a small amount of relief from posting the insane shenanigans of my MIL and my wifes sister.

Just delusional and psychotic behavior is creating a great amount of stress in our marriage. Not between my wife and I just something that we have to deal with. This sucks royally. And its all over money that we could give two ####s about.
Are you kidding? Hearing about crazy situations is a big part of the allure of the FFA.
Indeed, keep 'em coming.

Timely bump by pantherclub as I was just getting ready to post this:

My uncle has a brother and a sister. Both my uncle and his brother are EXTREMELY well off. Uncle was a superintendent of a school district for years and his brother is a very good lawyer. The sister is bat-#### crazy.

Their father passed a decade ago and their mom died last week. The sister has been staying with mom the last year and just siphoning away thousands of dollars. When her husband told her what she was doing is wrong, she left him and shacked up with another dude who had no problem enabling the theft of funds for months.

After the services, my Uncle's brother (the lawyer) started to comb through the paperwork to get everything in order from his mother's estate. He already knew who got what, he drew the will up himself. NOT SO FAST! Sister produces a paper dated two weeks before their mother's death leaving EVERYTHING to her. Keep in mind, up until this point, the mother obviously just had her son draw up the legal docs.

So now they're all fighting. My uncle blames the sister for everything and his brother for not having the foresight to stop her shenanigans. Sister claims she took care of their mother for the last year so she deserves it all (not true, she lived there, yes, but was always whoring around and going on vacations on mom's dime). The laywer-brother just wants out and is fed up with the situation.

Sad, sad situation.
This story actually ended up ok. Turns out the sister was diagnosed with a mental disorder (I never found out which one), got put on meds and is back to her former self. Reconciled with her husband, got counseling and is absolutely mortified about how she acted. She dropped the court case and they split up everything as they should have.

You could always sleep with the MIL and sister. With all that's going on your wife probably wouldn't even notice.

Dad just passed. He had all monies devided up in a trust so we are good there. We are now going to move all stuff out of house and have some sort of valuation put on it then draft the stuff.

Dad just passed. He had all monies devided up in a trust so we are good there. We are now going to move all stuff out of house and have some sort of valuation put on it then draft the stuff.
Cool idea. How is your cheat sheet/rankings coming along?

Serious question for Yankee and/or other lawyers who visit this thread...

Is there a nearly lock-tight way to avoid this ####? Like a revocable trust of very good will updated every 5 years or something? Like 'I don't care what bat-#### crazy sister thinks she deserves, here's what she gets.'

Obviously if the person signs power of attorney to someone with no scruples or gets conned there's no way around that.

In other words, how many of the contentious cases come down to poor planning by the deceased?

My dad died when I was 7, my grandparents on his side just a few years ago. I knew everything about the will, trust, pour-over will, last wishes/directives and power of attorney (it was easy because I was the only relative). My dad and grandparents were prepared.

My in laws are in their early 60s. I have experience with these issues and my SIL's family owns 15 assisted care facilities so she sees hundreds of people pass away every year. We both asked our in laws if they had any planning at all. None. They were upset we even asked. They refuse to discuss it. Not even medical wishes. Drives my wife crazy.
Yes you can control from the grave. Once the grantor dies the trust becomes Irrevocable. We just had one of our clients amend her trust (with the help and guidance of an estate attorney) with specific instructions for her daughter upon her demise. She is a spend thrift. They was she has laid out her trust she will ex amount a year and never be able to touch the principal. Basically an income annuity for her. Otherwise the mom is afraid she will run through the money in no time (along with her husband whom she hates with a passion).

We have also seen concepts for clients who come from wealth where parents will set up special marital trusts to make sure a future spouse can't clean them out in case of a divorce. Not a prenuptial, an actual special trust that puts a heavy layer of armor on assets from a future divorce. State of Florida (don't know about the rest of the country).

Being a wealth/portfolio manager I have seen and been involved in my fair share of outright disgusting and despicable behavior by family members after the death of a parent, uncle, brother, or sister, as well as grandparents.

it brings out the very worst in people. We promote detailed planning to our clients to avoid all issues. But you can lead a horse to water.....if they don't drink then it is what it will become upon their demise.

Last edited by a moderator:
Serious question for Yankee and/or other lawyers who visit this thread...

Is there a nearly lock-tight way to avoid this ####? Like a revocable trust of very good will updated every 5 years or something? Like 'I don't care what bat-#### crazy sister thinks she deserves, here's what she gets.'

Obviously if the person signs power of attorney to someone with no scruples or gets conned there's no way around that.

In other words, how many of the contentious cases come down to poor planning by the deceased?

My dad died when I was 7, my grandparents on his side just a few years ago. I knew everything about the will, trust, pour-over will, last wishes/directives and power of attorney (it was easy because I was the only relative). My dad and grandparents were prepared.

My in laws are in their early 60s. I have experience with these issues and my SIL's family owns 15 assisted care facilities so she sees hundreds of people pass away every year. We both asked our in laws if they had any planning at all. None. They were upset we even asked. They refuse to discuss it. Not even medical wishes. Drives my wife crazy.
I went through and did everything. Trusts, Will, POA, Medical POA, and Living Will. (I think that was everything) One note- a POA dies with the principle and becomes useless. POA is only good for acting on behalf of the principle while they are still alive.

Essentially, yes, it comes down to poor planning or more often the case- no planning. Once you are gone it does not matter what you intended to do, if you did not set it up in legal documents then the laws of the state through probate court will decide for you and potentially your loved ones will be fighting over dumb things as outlined in this thread. Pretty much once you outline your intention, unless you totally mess it up and allow for a lot of interpretation or some sort of legal issue, then the legal document has to be followed either via the trust or will.

Intentionally not doing any planning is a horrible thing to do for your loved ones. The more assets you have then the more important it is to do it but even with minimal assets loved ones can and do fight over items of little monetary value but perhaps sentimental value. I don't know why someone with wealth would not take the time to protect that wealth (taxes are a witch without doing anything) and protect their families from fighting by paying a lawyer some cash to write some docs up.

::::sigh::::

Dealing with a narcissistic person in your family is one giant bummer.  It truly never ever effing ends. 

Strangely when this was all breaking down last night I thought of this thread

I went through and did everything. Trusts, Will, POA, Medical POA, and Living Will. (I think that was everything) One note- a POA dies with the principle and becomes useless. POA is only good for acting on behalf of the principle while they are still alive.

Essentially, yes, it comes down to poor planning or more often the case- no planning. Once you are gone it does not matter what you intended to do, if you did not set it up in legal documents then the laws of the state through probate court will decide for you and potentially your loved ones will be fighting over dumb things as outlined in this thread. Pretty much once you outline your intention, unless you totally mess it up and allow for a lot of interpretation or some sort of legal issue, then the legal document has to be followed either via the trust or will.

Intentionally not doing any planning is a horrible thing to do for your loved ones. The more assets you have then the more important it is to do it but even with minimal assets loved ones can and do fight over items of little monetary value but perhaps sentimental value. I don't know why someone with wealth would not take the time to protect that wealth (taxes are a witch without doing anything) and protect their families from fighting by paying a lawyer some cash to write some docs up.
Best setup I ever saw was a guy who created all the relevant documents, got all the kids together in a room, and went through each one with them in front of me as potential executor and asked them “do you understand what that means?” for each document. Taped the whole thing. Kids were weirded out and pissed at the time but when he passed they all talked about how their friends had so many nightmares they never had to deal with. 

This is one of the good things about being an only child. It's all going to me. It's nothing substantial by any means, actually it's barely anything, but at least there will be no fighting.
Don't be so sure and count on it literally. There is always the church and charities like the SPCA, local hospital, college, political issue, disease of the week, phone solitciter,  neighbor, cousin, friend, 2nd spouse, step child, care taker that may swoop in and change it up without your knowledge. Just because you are an only child don't assume entitlement to anything. Work hard. Love, respect and help your parents and we'll see.

Users who are viewing this thread