What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

RB/WR Ty Montgomery, NE (3 Viewers)

I like him. A lot. He is suffering more from a perception issue due to his poor senior year. That was due in part to injury, and in part to uneven QB play. At teh start of last season TM was very highly regarded--top 3 IIRC. At this point he represents a huge steel for someone.

Rotoworld:

Stanford WR Ty Montgomery will visit the Seahawks, according to Rand Getlin.

We doubt Montgomery is selected prior to the fourth round, as he struggles with many of the basic receiver skills. There are drop issues as well as sustaining speed in his routes. But Montgomery can make plays with the ball in his hands with straight-line speed and power on contact. He is a manufactured touch player at this point in his career.

Apr 1 - 9:12 AM
Source: Rand Getlin on Twitter
Stanford WR Ty Montgomery said he performed better at his pro day than at the combine because he was lighter and was also able to get more rest.

"I was lighter and felt more flexible," said Montgomery. "I've shed 10 pounds and got my stride back. ... Most importantly, I was able to sleep. At the combine, I got no sleep. I didn't go to bed until 1:30 a.m. and woke up at 6 a.m. to go perform. I didn't do horribly, but I did a lot better out here." Montgomery measured in at 5-foot-11 3/4 and 211 pounds, more than two inches shorter and nine pounds lighter than his listed dimensions. CBS reported that he ran 4.38 seconds in the 40-yard dash at Stanford's scouting event, while NFL.com's Gil Brandt reported seperate times of 4.51 and 4.5. Regardless, Montgomery spoke to Texans director of college scouting Jon Carr after his drills and was put through additional pass-catching work, TFY Draft Insider's Tony Pauline reported.

Mar 23 - 10:16 PM
Source: CBS Sports
Stanford WR Ty Montgomery "ran solid routes and caught the ball better than expected" at his pro day workout, noted TFY Draft Insider's Tony Pauline.

"At the end of the pro day, he was taken aside by Houston Texans director of college scouting Jon Carr and put through additional pass-catching work," Pauline added. Montgomery clocked 4.5 and 4.51 forties on Friday after putting up a 4.55 time at the combine. The Standford wideout has been dubbed a "slightly better version of Josh Cribbs" by CBS Sports' Dane Brugler.

Mar 22 - 7:40 PM
Source: TFY Draft Insider
Stanford WR Ty Montgomery ran "good routes and caught the ball well" during his pro day," according to NFL Media senior analyst Gil Brandt.

"Montgomery stood on his other combine numbers. Montgomery runs good routes and caught the ball well during the pro day. He also did a good job working out as a kick and punt returner," Brandt wrote. The Standford wideout improved on his 4.55 forty time from the combine, and ran a 4.5 and 4.51 forty on Friday. Montgomery will have to show teams that he can be a reliable pass catcher, in order to get meaningful playing time at the next level. However, he should be able to compete on special teams right away, as a returner. CBS Sports' Dane Brugler calls the Stanford prospect, a "slightly better version of Josh Cribbs."

Mar 20 - 4:39 PM
Source: NFL.com
Stanford WR Ty Montgomery has visits scheduled with the Panthers and Texans, according to Rand Getlin.
Montgomery cannot be relied on as a receiver early in his career in terms of lining up and beating his man one on one. Right now, the Cardinal is a manufactured touch player who can create with the ball in his hands. Look for a team to find a role for Montgomery, most likely as a returner. He is a day three selection.

Source: Rand Getlin on Twitter
Mar 17 - 9:51 AM
Stanford senior WR Ty Montgomery is considered an "accountable teammate" by the school's coaching staff.
"Montgomery is a likable person with high character and an ability to leave a positive impression in draft interviews, but teams will still have to figure out how they want to use him," NFL Media draft analyst Lance Zierlein wrote. "His hands might not be trustworthy enough to be part of a three-wide-receiver set. Montgomery can flip fields and change games with his ability in the return game and might be best-utilized in a dynamic, open-minded offensive system that gets the ball in his hands quickly and allows him to use his run after catch talents." The analyst compares Montgomery to Cordarrelle Patterson, a comparison both glowing and damning. The 6-foot-2, 220-pound Montgomery had 61 catches for 604 yards and three touchdowns this season. CBS Sports' Dane Brugler believes Montgomery's "best NFL comparison might be a slightly better version of Josh Cribbs."

Feb 16 - 10:02 PM
Stanford senior WR Ty Montgomery "was talked about as a second- or third-round pick earlier in the season, but we don't really see him as a complete enough player to take that early," noted Scout's Inc.
"He is an explosive player with the ball in his hands, both in the return game and after the catch," wrote Todd McShay, Steve Muench and Kevin Weidl. "The question for Montgomery is whether he has good enough ball skills. We'd thought he had improved in that area a little bit this season based on his tape, but he struggled with contested catches this week and also had a few drops on passes he should have caught. Additionally, he showed no physicality as a route-runner and his hamstring was bothering him (he's dealt with durability issues previously)." The 6-foot-2, 220-pound wideout had 61 catches for 604 yards and three touchdowns this season. CBS Sports' Dane Brugler believes Montgomery's "best NFL comparison might be a slightly better version of Josh Cribbs."

Source: ESPN Insider
Jan 24 - 11:12 PM
TFY Draft Insider notes that Stanford senior WR Ty Montgomery is "dropping more passes than he's caught" at Tuesday's Senior Bowl practice.
The 6-foot-2, 220-pound wideout had 61 catches for 604 yards and three touchdowns this season, after catching 61 passes for 958 yards and 10 touchdowns last year. Montgomery is at his best with the ball in his hands, whether as a ball-carrying receiver or on returns, but touches might have to be manufactured for him at the next level.

Source: Tony Pauline on Twitter
Jan 20 - 2:26 PM
Stanford senior WR Ty Montgomery's draft stock has fallen this season, according to ESPN's Todd McShay.
"He hasn't plummeted, but he has dropped balls and been inconsistent," wrote McShay. "Against Washington, Notre Dame and Oregon, Montgomery had 15 combined catches but just 76 total yards. I still view the senior, who will sit out Saturday's game against UCLA with a shoulder injury, as a potential first-rounder (he is a weapon as a return man). But 
I think he's a likelier Day 2 pick now." Montgomery looks better on paper than the aptitude he shows on Saturdays, an AFC West scout told NFL.com this week. We agree that Montgomery isn't a first-round pick, and also that his reputation exceeds his reality.

Thu, Nov 27, 2014 02:48:00 PM
NFL Media spoke with one AFC West scout who believes Stanford senior WR Ty Montgomery looks better on paper than the play he shows on Saturdays.
"My big problem with Ty Montgomery is that he looks better on paper than he does on grass," the scout said. Montgomery is listed around 6'2, but we would not be surprised to see him measured two inches shorter. Montgomery is best with the ball in his hands, but he fails to create consistent separation in routes since he does not sustain his speed in breaks. Right now, he is a manufactured touches type player.

Wed, Nov 26, 2014 11:42:00 AM

Rotoworld:

ESPN's Steve Muench and Kevin Weidl noted that Stanford junior WR Ty Montgomery "is a threat to make a momentum-shifting play after the catch, on a handoff and in the return game."
Beyond the obvious speed advantage Montgomery holds over most defenders, the analysts also pointed out that enough wiggle to make the first defender miss." They went on to tout that it wasn't just his natural ability which made him dangerous, as "[he] shows above-average patience and vision, making the most of his downfield blocks." Former NFL GM Phil Savage compared Montgomery to Ted Ginn Jr., a comparison which holds its own set of upsides and downsides.

Tue, Nov 4, 2014 09:27:00 PM
NFL.com's Daniel Jeremiah said that Stanford junior WR Ty Montgomery is "tough to bring down."
Jeremiah said that in addition to being a tough man to tackle, Montgomery looked "strong and quick." Montgomery had seven catches in the contest, though they went for only 35 yards. He also rushed for 26 yards. This season, Montgomery's caught 56 passes for 549 yards and three touchdowns. He's averaging 9.8 yards per catch. While some, like former NFL GM Phil Savage, see Montgomery as a first round selection, Rotoworld's Josh Norris isn't quite as high on the junior. Montgomery has trouble keeping his speed when he's not running in a straight line.

Mon, Nov 3, 2014 09:12:00 PM
Former NFL GM Phil Savage believes Stanford WR Ty Mongtomery will likely be selected in the first round.
This is due to Montgomery's "combination value as a receiver and return man, and with that said, should be able to get on the field as a rookie and help an NFL team right away," Savage writes. "He is an ideal flanker that can knock the top off of the defense and also run with the football when running underneath the coverage." Josh Norris and Cian Fahey are not quite on the Montgomery bandwagon, at least not to this level. Ty is at his best on screens, vertical routes and as a returner. For as fast as he is in a straight-line, Montgomery does not keep his speed when breaking off routes and does not consistently win in contested situations.

Source: Senior Bowl
Thu, Oct 2, 2014 01:05:00 PM
Stanford junior WR Ty Montgomery "is a threat to take it the distance whenever he touches the ball in the open field," according to NFL Media Analyst Bucky Brooks.
"From his blazing speed as a vertical route runner to his electric running skills on "catch-and-run" plays, Montgomery is a threat to take it the distance whenever he touches the ball in the open field," Brooks wrote. Montgomery has already scored four touchdowns this year (1 rushing, 2 receiving, and 1 punt return) and looks to be the perfect multi-purpose threat for Stanford. The 6-foot-2, 215-pounder has been compared to Ted Ginn Jr.

Fri, Sep 26, 2014 04:37:00 PM

Rotoworld:

Packers third-round pick Ty Montgomery has dropped his weight to 212 after weighing 221 at the NFL Combine.

Some draftniks suggested Montgomery's best NFL position would be running back, but the Packers view him as an inside receiver with return value. Shedding weight confirms the Packers don't see him as a running back. Micah Hyde should keep Green Bay's primary punt return job, but Montgomery could be a factor on kickoffs. He returned three kicks for touchdowns at Stanford.

Source: Packer Report
May 8 - 9:22 PM

I've taken a swing or two at this guy in the mid-late 3rd of rookie drafts. I'm not a fan, but I don't think the Packers see him purely as a returner. They've had great success developing 2nd-3rd round WR's over time. When Ted Thompson spends a 3rd on a raw WR with RAC ability, even one with questionable mitts, my ears perk up a bit.

Last edited by a moderator:
I've gotten him in every draft so far. I'm not sky high on him by any means, but he just falls so far that I inevitably end up picking him. IMO getting a third round WR in that offense is easily worth a mid 3rd-4th round rookie pick, which is where he's falling. I watched him a lot in college and I'm familiar with his many flaws, but to me this is a case where his rookie draft ADP is grossly out of sync with where it should be when you consider his NFL draft slot and situation. Ted Thompson and his crew know a lot more about identifying WR talent than the guys in our FF leagues do.

Feels like Jarrett Boykin again. Usually I'm all over 3rd round receivers at the end of rookie drafts but not feeling this one even in the GB offense.

I'd agree he's a bargain at that point of rookie drafts. I also agree with the idea that Ted Thompson is better at finding WR talent than just about anyone. However, therein lies the problem. Nelson and Cobb are under contract through 2018. Adams, Janis and Abbrederis are under contract through 2017. Montgomery has a higher pedigree than Janis or Abbrederis, but the latter two may be better WRs at this point. That's just what they have on their roster right now as well. TT has shown he's all in on providing quality options for Rodgers. He could easily grab another WR or TE in the next year or two high in the draft. Basically, Montgomery is going to have a hard time finding the field as a WR for the foreseeable future. I think he'll have a role as a KO returner, and may get some of the backfield touches that used to go to Cobb. I think he'll be a bit of a specialty player, and fantasy relevance will be hard to count on.

Montgomery has a higher pedigree than Janis or Abbrederis, but the latter two may be better WRs at this point.
They might be, but then again Garrett Grayson might be the best player in this draft. That doesn't mean you take him over Winston or Gurley. I like to look at it from a probability standpoint. The hit rate on 5th-7th round picks like Abbrederis and Janis is about 5%, which is about 1/5th-1/6th the hit rate of a 3rd rounder like Montgomery. Even if you adjust their raw draft position for things like return value and the small school factor (Janis), it's pretty hard to make an objective argument that they're better WR prospects. So while it's possible, I wouldn't say it's likely at all.

Cobb is the only young WR on the Packers who has proven much of anything. Adams looks good, but he isn't a proven commodity quite yet. Jordy is about to turn 30 and may only have a couple peak years left. Anything can happen and of course they could draft more receivers in the early rounds in the next few years, but ultimately it's never a bad thing when a team with an elite QB drafts a WR in the top 100. Especially when you can get that guy 30-40 picks deep into your rookie draft. Well worth a shot at that price, which is all that matters. I don't expect a clean profile and wide open immediate starting opportunity with my 4th round rookie picks, so all the nitpicking might be missing the biggest positive (low entry price for a relatively high pick on an elite offense).

I understand that, in theory, talent eventually trumps situation. But an investment in this guy looks to be a dead roster space for at least 2 years and I honestly would rather invest in a Kenny Bell (a Matt Waldman favorite) or a Justin Hardy (who might end up a solid flex in PPR) where I would have a pretty good idea much sooner of what I have in a player.

Not criticizing people who are taking Montgomery at what looks be bargain prices, but I really don't have the patience to wait that long on a late 3rd pick to find out if I got a star or a dud.

Just my :2cents:

I'm in three dynasty leagues, all idp, but all operated differently, so whether I'd take the flier or not really depends on format. It's already been mentioned, but this is only a stock to make room for if you don't expect a pay off until at least 2016 and likely later.

I drafted him at the end of the 5th in a 34 player league (positional roster limits though), but it's because we include return yards, use a taxi squad, and I also have both Davante Adams and Abbrederis. I can stash him away for up to 2 years before making a decision on him, but I probably will decide about this time next year as I may replace him with a 2016 draft pick.

I have zero interest in him in one other though. We keep 30 annually, but we also have a 10 player college developmental squad and only have to start 2 WR's (flex). He'll just waste a roster spot for a year then he won't make the cutdown.

He's on my radar in the last one, but we don't draft until July so I haven't thought about it too much. Mainly because it's a 35 player keep and we start 3 WR's. Those extra few keepers and extra starting WR slot have me at least thinking about it.

Montgomery has a higher pedigree than Janis or Abbrederis, but the latter two may be better WRs at this point.
They might be, but then again Garrett Grayson might be the best player in this draft. That doesn't mean you take him over Winston or Gurley. I like to look at it from a probability standpoint. The hit rate on 5th-7th round picks like Abbrederis and Janis is about 5%, which is about 1/5th-1/6th the hit rate of a 3rd rounder like Montgomery. Even if you adjust their raw draft position for things like return value and the small school factor (Janis), it's pretty hard to make an objective argument that they're better WR prospects. So while it's possible, I wouldn't say it's likely at all.

Cobb is the only young WR on the Packers who has proven much of anything. Adams looks good, but he isn't a proven commodity quite yet. Jordy is about to turn 30 and may only have a couple peak years left. Anything can happen and of course they could draft more receivers in the early rounds in the next few years, but ultimately it's never a bad thing when a team with an elite QB drafts a WR in the top 100. Especially when you can get that guy 30-40 picks deep into your rookie draft. Well worth a shot at that price, which is all that matters. I don't expect a clean profile and wide open immediate starting opportunity with my 4th round rookie picks, so all the nitpicking might be missing the biggest positive (low entry price for a relatively high pick on an elite offense).
Ugh. The strawman rears its ugly head. Montgomery is not a Winston/Gurley level prospect. As I mentioned in the sentence you quoted, I know Montgomery has a higher pedigree than Janis or Abbrederis.

HOWEVER:

Janis has cleared a hurdle that Montgomery has not. Janis made play after play after play in both training camp and preseason last year. He's no longer in that 5% bracket from a normal 7th round pick. How many 7th rounders make the 53 man roster? How many of them are standouts in training camp? How many of them are small school prospects that are athletic freaks? Once we narrow it down to that group, what is their hit percentage? That is Montgomery's competition, not some random 7th rounder.

As for Abbrederis, I listen to the Aaron Rodgers show weekly. Throughout the season, he frequently mentioned how much they were missing Abbrederis, and how he would have "helped them."

I like Montgomery. I do. I think he's been drafted for a specific role for the time being. That is a KO returner and a gadget player on offense. He's likely to be active on gameday because of it. Maybe he can develop into a starting WR in this offense down the line. But just clearing Janis and Abbrederis on the WR depth chart is not going to be easy, and I haven't even mentioned Nelson, Cobb and Adams.

Jeff Janis - WR - Packers

Seventh-round WR Jeff Janis made the Packers' 53-man roster.
At 6'3/219 with 4.42 wheels and a 37 1/2-inch vertical, the Saginaw Valley product was always a good bet to stick thanks to upside. He ended up making "wow" plays on a near-daily basis during practices, and turned both of his preseason catches into touchdowns. Janis easily beat out Myles White and Kevin Dorsey to be the No. 5 receiver on a team that kept five wideouts. He's an obvious Dynasty hold with Aaron Rodgers just 30 years old.

Source: Green Bay Press-Gazette
Sun, Aug 31, 2014 10:51:00 AM
ESPN Packers reporter Rob Demovsky considers seventh-round WR Jeff Janis a lock to make the 53-man roster.
Janis has had a strong camp and then scored a 34-yard catch-and-run touchdown last weekend against the Rams. There's no way he'd sneak through waivers and onto the Packers' practice squad. Janis will likely open the season as the Packers' No. 5 receiver. He needs to be owned in all Dynasty formats.

Source: ESPN.com
Fri, Aug 22, 2014 11:01:00 AM
ESPN Wisconsin's Jason Wilde predicts Packers seventh-round WR Jeff Janis "is going to be a player when he finds consistency."
Janis has come on strong since returning to practice after a bout with Shingles. He's a 6-foot-3, 219-pound athletic freak with 4.42 wheels to go along with a 37 1/2-inch vertical and 10-foot-3 broad jump. He got some run with the Packers' first-team offense earlier this week, and has made highlight catches every day. According to beat reporters, Janis hadn't had a dropped pass in team drills before Monday's practice. There'll likely have to be injuries for Janis to make a year-one impact, but he's a player to target in Dynasty.

As for Abbrederis, I listen to the Aaron Rodgers show weekly. Throughout the season, he frequently mentioned how much they were missing Abbrederis, and how he would have "helped them."
Rodgers also said Jarrett Boykin would be a "big time player for us at some point."

http://www.fleaflicker.com/nfl/news/items/aaron-rodgers-said-wr-jarrett-boykin-will-be-a-big-time-player-for-us-at-some-41052

Bottom line for me is that Janis and Abbrederis have proven nothing of substance in the NFL at this point. Maybe they will be great. Most likely they won't. Given the alternative, I feel comfortable playing the odds and gambling on the guy who was most highly-regarded entering the league (Ty).

Apart from that, Ty vs. Abbrederis vs. Janis is really not the point of this thread. Montgomery is currently going in the 30-45 range of most rookie drafts. Even if you assume that he only has a 10% chance of eventually earning significant PT and producing, he's probably worth such a late pick. In other words, you don't have to think he's a lock to succeed to like him at his current market price. You don't even have to think he's clearly better than Abbrederis and Janis. You just have to think that it's somewhat plausible that he could become FF relevant in the next 4-5 years. So if you want to talk about "straw man" arguments, maybe discuss whether or not Montgomery justifies a 3rd-4th round rookie pick based on his talent/pedigree/opportunity instead of focusing on the rest of the roster. How good players like Janis and Abbrederis turn out to be is just one variable in Montgomery's career outlook.

Several years back I owned almost the entire Packers WR corps (Jennings/Jordy/Jones). Back then Jennings and Driver were the only ones with any real functional value. It took Jordy four years to really do anything. Fortunately, I held him for that entire time and was able to reap a nice payoff. Jones never really popped in the same way, but did manage a top 20 season in 2012 and a WR4 season in 2013. In both cases, patience was rewarded to a certain degree. If you were the type of guy who couldn't look past the initial depth chart and imagine any possibilities, you might have missed out on that. Personally, I'm always eager to scoop high NFL draft picks who fall in FF because of cloudy situations. Sometimes you get a useless player like Bernard Pierce or Toby Gerhart, but this is also how you get Jerick McKinnon and Darren Sproles.

Ultimately, a third round WR in elite passing offense with strong athletic tools who is available in the 3rd-4th round of rookie drafts is going to look like a strong buy more often than not. The negatives aren't a concern because I don't expect perfect prospects at the "hail mary" stage of my rookie drafts.

I really don't have the patience to wait that long on a late 3rd pick to find out if I got a star or a dud.Just my :2cents:
I mean, are you expecting early starters out of your 3rd/4th round rookie picks? What are you using them for, if you're not sitting on them and letting them develop? You might as well trade them away every year (which is a perfectly viable strategy, if you can trade them for future 2nds or use them as throw-ins on larger deals). Personally, these are the players I take in the 3rd-4th rounds:

-High ceiling guys

-QB's

-TE's that fell (happens a lot, which is great value considering it's rare that the most hyped, top TE actually ends up being the best fantasy TE from the class)

-Players nobody likes that free fall, despite pedigree saying they shouldn't

He was still there in the 7th round of a 12 team rookie draft so I took him. Wondering what Ted Thompson thought of him in the 3rd at a position with so many receivers.

I think he's a fine value with a late pick in the rookie draft. TT is exceptional at drafting WRs. Montgomery has some quality tools to work with, and was once viewed as a potential 1st rounder. However, I think for the next two years plus, he's going to be a KO returner and a gadget player on offense. He may be able to take the next step in year 3/4/5 when Nelson/Cobb/Adams start reaching the end of their deals, but obviously that's not a given.

The wait (and having questionable hands) is a good part of the reason he's falling in rookie drafts. If you've got the roster room to work with though, it's a great landing spot, and it could pay off big down the road.

Kitrick Taylor said:
I think he's a fine value with a late pick in the rookie draft. TT is exceptional at drafting WRs. Montgomery has some quality tools to work with, and was once viewed as a potential 1st rounder. However, I think for the next two years plus, he's going to be a KO returner and a gadget player on offense. He may be able to take the next step in year 3/4/5 when Nelson/Cobb/Adams start reaching the end of their deals, but obviously that's not a given.

The wait (and having questionable hands) is a good part of the reason he's falling in rookie drafts. If you've got the roster room to work with though, it's a great landing spot, and it could pay off big down the road.
Yeah I don't see Wild Cat but perhaps bubble screens or reverses, getting him there ball near the LOS and seeing what he can do.

I really don't have the patience to wait that long on a late 3rd pick to find out if I got a star or a dud.Just my :2cents:
I mean, are you expecting early starters out of your 3rd/4th round rookie picks? What are you using them for, if you're not sitting on them and letting them develop? You might as well trade them away every year (which is a perfectly viable strategy, if you can trade them for future 2nds or use them as throw-ins on larger deals).
I am sorry but I refuse to wait as long as EBF indicates for any pick to develop:

You just have to think that it's somewhat plausible that he could become FF relevant in the next 4-5 years.
I will wait for up to 2 years on a WR taken in any round that I think has potential. Maybe longer on a 1st/2nd round pick that has been injured or suspended. But there is no way in hell I will burn a roster spot for 4-5 years on a 3rd/4th round pick and then find out I still got nothing. I have had better luck turning over the pick every year for another 3rd rounder (got Jarvis Landry in several leagues last year with that strategy).

If waiting for years and years and years hoping to see if you made a wise or foolish investment seems right for you, than the more power to you. However, I have done quite well in my dynasty leagues with this strategy that some here have referred to as "short sighted". And from my experience, I usually have a pretty good idea after their rookie year whether to continue to hold or cut bait.

I mean, are you expecting early starters out of your 3rd/4th round rookie picks? What are you using them for, if you're not sitting on them and letting them develop? You might as well trade them away every year (which is a perfectly viable strategy, if you can trade them for future 2nds or use them as throw-ins on larger deals).
I am sorry but I refuse to wait as long as EBF indicates for any pick to develop:
You just have to think that it's somewhat plausible that he could become FF relevant in the next 4-5 years.
I will wait for up to 2 years on a WR taken in any round that I think has potential. Maybe longer on a 1st/2nd round pick that has been injured or suspended. But there is no way in hell I will burn a roster spot for 4-5 years on a 3rd/4th round pick and then find out I still got nothing. I have had better luck turning over the pick every year for another 3rd rounder (got Jarvis Landry in several leagues last year with that strategy).If waiting for years and years and years hoping to see if you made a wise or foolish investment seems right for you, than the more power to you. However, I have done quite well in my dynasty leagues with this strategy that some here have referred to as "short sighted". And from my experience, I usually have a pretty good idea after their rookie year whether to continue to hold or cut bait.
I think it goes without saying that if you can parlay an unproven former 3rd-4th rounder into a pick for a better prospect the year or two after you drafted them, or anything else with more value or chances at hitting, then yeah you do that.

I was arguing against cutting bait on a developmental player for an equal or worse lottery ticket, or cutting them outright, just because they've reached some arbitrary threshold of time that isn't long enough in a league with rosters that are deep enough to justify holding.

He could be better than Adams. He was certainly brought in to ease the return load off of Cobb, Hyde, and Nelson. If he sticks, he could be a thorn in Adams' side.

Ted Thompson drafted a lot of versatile players this year, wonder if they have get the ball in his hands in the backfield type plays planned for him, ala Percy Harvin or Cobb when they used him there.

It should be interesting to see how they use him, and he could take plays away from Adams. Last year the teams that took Adams took him in the 2nd round, this year he even passed on him in the 7th(took Titus Davis instead).

Rotoworld:

The Milwaukee Journal-Sentinel expects third-round pick Ty Montgomery to get the first crack at returning kickoffs for the Packers.

Montgomery will also be in the mix on punt returns, though Micah Hyde was terrific there in 2014. The paper acknowledges Montgomery "may be hard pressed to crack the rotation offensively" behind Jordy Nelson, Randall Cobb, and Davante Adams. Montgomery is going to be a special teamer as a rookie.

Source: Milwaukee Journal-Sentinel

May 26 - 6:10 PM

'Tis the season of the puff piece. Anyway, some promising early buzz:

http://www.packers.com/news-and-events/article-OTAs/article-1/Ty-Montgomery-doing-his-best-to-catch-up/a94e06bb-e197-4bdb-912d-c2a9b115452c

Until late last week, the third-round draft pick and receiver from Stanford hadn’t been able to practice with the Packers since rookie orientation in early May due to Stanford’s school calendar.

He was finally free to come to Green Bay for the final two OTA practices, and his third time on the field was for Tuesday’s first minicamp workout.

It’s been a challenge “trying to learn seven or eight installs in two days,” he said, but finishing school doesn’t appear to have set him back all that much. On Tuesday during 11-on-11 work, he snared a bullet over the middle from backup QB Scott Tolzien on a post route and also hauled in a quick slant near the goal line.

“I thought Ty looked excellent,” Head Coach Mike McCarthy said. “He had a very good practice Friday, and I thought he had another good practice today. He does some things very natural. He’s picked it up really quick, especially for someone that hasn’t been here.”

Read more: http://www.packers.com/news-and-events/article-OTAs/article-1/Ty-Montgomery-doing-his-best-to-catch-up/a94e06bb-e197-4bdb-912d-c2a9b115452c#ixzz3dGo0zoOC

I'm so tempted to add him in a rookie draft that's going on now (3rd round), and he's even on the WW of another league where no one drafted him... but it's so hard to project when and how he'll ever get meaningful playing time outside of returns with Jordy, Cobb, Adams... lots of Janis love too... dunno if it'd be a wasted rookie pick, but an NFL 3rd rounder drafted by Green Bay sure looks tempting...

Most 3rd-4th round rookie picks amount to nothing, so I'm willing to take the bad short-term opportunity to get a guy who might at least be able to play a bit. Your alternatives in that ADP range are mostly DOA. As for how he might get on the field, Jordy is 30 and Adams is still relatively unknown. Anything can happen in the NFL. What I like about Ty is that he's dirt cheap. Basically a free gamble. If he were going 2nd round of rookie drafts it would be a tougher call, but at his ADP he's a snap call for me.

I have him in all leagues I am in that have drafted. Love the talent but I believe in Green Bays ability to evaluate wrs even more...they hit often
This year it looks like they'll use him as a returner early, but he hasn't been here much yet. He could work his way onto the field.

Drafting him early they had to have a plan. Curious to see if they use him out of the backfield or quick screens like Percy Harvin.

I have him in all leagues I am in that have drafted. Love the talent but I believe in Green Bays ability to evaluate wrs even more...they hit often
I was going to mention that fact too... Thompson's track record of success drafting pass catchers (including TE Finley, before hurt) in the first few rounds is remarkable. Jeez, even 7th rounder Charles Johnson has panned out, though not until after he went elsewhere.

Rodgers and McCarthy spoke highly of him now that he's with the team, pointing to his YAC ability as returner and receiver. I think they'd like to give him the ball in the backfield or on screens too.

“I think you have to temper your expectations, but seems to be a real good kid — other than his college choice,” said Rodgers, a Cal graduate. “Seems to be pretty intelligent. Obviously has the body type to do some things that we like around here. Looks to be athletic, quick, has caught the ball well. But it’s two days. We’re not going to put too high of expectations for him or give up on him too early, either. I think he has a bright future with us.”

Bruce Hammond said:
Bazinga! said:
I was going to mention that fact too... Thompson's track record of success drafting pass catchers (including TE Finley, before hurt) in the first few rounds is remarkable. Jeez, even 7th rounder Charles Johnson has panned out, though not until after he went elsewhere.
They lost him on a quasi technicality IIRC. Also rumored to be one of the reasons Shanny left Cleveland was their decision to cut him.

Bruce Hammond said:
Bazinga! said:
They lost him on a quasi technicality IIRC. Also rumored to be one of the reasons Shanny left Cleveland was their decision to cut him.
He was hurt in Green Bay throughout training camp so they let him go, Janis this year could be another good one drafted late.

I don't claim to be a pro scout or to be able to predict the future, but in MHO this kid will never be more than a return man/screen gadget play guy. His inability to catch passes down the field will always limit him. How many Packers fan want to see a guy dropping passes like Finley did, and they always were critical third downs, I sure don't and Finley was a physical beast for his position. I am not saying a player can't change, but think of the players that come out of college that couldn't catch, how many suddenly could in the NFL? Not many, unless you are a natural hands catcher, it is hard to change, that has been proven over the years. No freggin way this guy challenges Adams, Adams is a natural receiver and he snatches the ball, I think it highly unlikely he even challenges Janis, who is bigger and faster and can catch. I will however happily come back and eat my words if this kid ever proves he can catch with any consistency, and I don't mean screens. I hated this pick when happened and it will take a lot to ever make me think it was a good pick, we are so deep at wr, a return man in the third makes no sense, espcially since there were better return men still on the board.

Again, please don't take my word for it, go watch video on this kid, not highlight reels but game video and watch how he struggles to catch the ball, constantly fighting passes, allowing the ball to get on his body. Of all tracked college players he had the highest drop percentage, maybe he can be the rare player that somehow gets better. I personally am not holding my breath though, hopefully he is a beast of a return man though, that will make things better.

I don't claim to be a pro scout or to be able to predict the future, but in MHO this kid will never be more than a return man/screen gadget play guy. His inability to catch passes down the field will always limit him. How many Packers fan want to see a guy dropping passes like Finley did, and they always were critical third downs, I sure don't and Finley was a physical beast for his position. I am not saying a player can't change, but think of the players that come out of college that couldn't catch, how many suddenly could in the NFL? Not many, unless you are a natural hands catcher, it is hard to change, that has been proven over the years. No freggin way this guy challenges Adams, Adams is a natural receiver and he snatches the ball, I think it highly unlikely he even challenges Janis, who is bigger and faster and can catch. I will however happily come back and eat my words if this kid ever proves he can catch with any consistency, and I don't mean screens. I hated this pick when happened and it will take a lot to ever make me think it was a good pick, we are so deep at wr, a return man in the third makes no sense, espcially since there were better return men still on the board.

Again, please don't take my word for it, go watch video on this kid, not highlight reels but game video and watch how he struggles to catch the ball, constantly fighting passes, allowing the ball to get on his body. Of all tracked college players he had the highest drop percentage, maybe he can be the rare player that somehow gets better. I personally am not holding my breath though, hopefully he is a beast of a return man though, that will make things better.
Well Ted Thompson traded up to get him and I think his plan may be a returner and someone to get the ball in the backfield like they used Randall Cobb in the past.

Both Hill and this guy have had a lot of negatives associated with them but I'll take TT and Sean Payton's evaluation over anyone here. I think they have plans that aren't evident to us yet. While he dropped passes he had good YAC skills and again think that have plans we won't see until TC at least.

I don't see him challenging Adams or Janis but doing things out of the backfield or close to the LOS.

Give it a little time. Yesterday he caught the ball pretty well.

cr8f said:
He was hurt in Green Bay throughout training camp so they let him go, Janis this year could be another good one drafted late.
I thought he was on PS and they tried to sneak him on IR and Browns claimed him or signed him off PS.

cr8f said:
I thought he was on PS and they tried to sneak him on IR and Browns claimed him or signed him off PS.
My mistake, he was taken off the practice squad but didn't make the 53 man roster because he was hurt most of TC.

cr8f said:

Well Ted Thompson traded up to get him and I think his plan may be a returner and someone to get the ball in the backfield like they used Randall Cobb in the past.Both Hill and this guy have had a lot of negatives associated with them but I'll take TT and Sean Payton's evaluation over anyone here. I think they have plans that aren't evident to us yet. While he dropped passes he had good YAC skills and again think that have plans we won't see until TC at least.

I don't see him challenging Adams or Janis but doing things out of the backfield or close to the LOS.

Certainly, I don't expect much as a rookie, I just don't see him ever challenging a pure wr like Adams. Trust me I hope I am 100% off and I agree with you, I trust that any NFL evaluator knows more than me.

cr8f said:

Well Ted Thompson traded up to get him and I think his plan may be a returner and someone to get the ball in the backfield like they used Randall Cobb in the past.Both Hill and this guy have had a lot of negatives associated with them but I'll take TT and Sean Payton's evaluation over anyone here. I think they have plans that aren't evident to us yet. While he dropped passes he had good YAC skills and again think that have plans we won't see until TC at least.

Certainly, I don't expect much as a rookie, I just don't see him ever challenging a pure wr like Adams. Trust me I hope I am 100% off and I agree with you, I trust that any NFL evaluator knows more than me.
I don't either. I took him in the 7th round of out rookie draft, but think the team likes his versatility and has plans for him.

I'm just waiting to see how they use him. I don't see him vying for the #3 WR. I think they may want to use him as a returner and maybe how Percy Harvin was used in Minny. One scout called him a bigger Randall Cobb. Lining up in the backfield and bubble screens may be the plan.

Time will tell.

Adding

Green Bay — The Green Bay Packers went with a proven top-notch returner in the third round when they drafted Ty Montgomery out of Stanford on Friday night, but they're banking on him being a bigger version of Randall Cobb who can line up anywhere on the field.

Montgomery returned kickoffs all four seasons at Stanford, averaging 27.4 yards with three touchdowns.

He didn't return punts until 2014 but excelled there, too, with a 19.8 average (12 returns) and two TDs.

"He's a very strong runner, very instinctive, has good quickness," said Packers general manager Ted Thompson.

Montgomery is also a receiver. The 6-foot, 215-pound senior from Dallas caught 172 passes for 2,125 (12.5) and 15 TDs and rushed 39 times for 334 (8.6) and four scores in his career.

The Packers said poor quarterback play was the reason his numbers dropped to 61 receptions for 604 yards and three receiving touchdowns last year. He also rushed 23 times for 144 yards and one touchdown.

"I don't think that there's anything that I did wrong," said Montgomery. "I caught a lot more balls behind the line of scrimmage and near the line of scrimmage and had to get yards after the catch, make more guys miss, not make as many plays down field."

Thompson has not shied away from taking receivers high in his drafts.

"Since I've been here we've had Brett Favre playing quarterback or Aaron Rodgers, so you like to get them as many people to throw to as you can," said Thompson.

But Packers West Regional scout Sam Seale likened Montgomery to Cobb often — only bigger. He has scouted Montgomery since he was a freshman — Seale's son attends Stanford — and has seen most of his games.

"When you look at him, he's much bigger. I think he's faster than the guy we had last year, returning kicks. I think he's more explosive," said Seale. "When he touches the ball, he hits the hole....I like the kid. He's explosive, he's big. And I think it would give Randall a break. For me personally I think he's a bigger Randall."

Montgomery hopefully be the main return man in the near future. He has time to learn from Nelson and Cobb on being a NFL WR and be ready when their contracts are done to step in to replace one of them. Rumors were floated that he might be used out of the backfield on passing downs. Cobb was used at times in this role will will have to watch camp notes to see what Packers are saying.

Montgomery hopefully be the main return man in the near future. He has time to learn from Nelson and Cobb on being a NFL WR and be ready when their contracts are done to step in to replace one of them. Rumors were floated that he might be used out of the backfield on passing downs. Cobb was used at times in this role will will have to watch camp notes to see what Packers are saying.
I don't think the players job is to get their replacements ready. I think the coaches will probably be in charge of teaching Montgomery how to play.

Users who are viewing this thread