What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

RB/WR Ty Montgomery, NE (1 Viewer)

Gatorman said:
CBS does not change designations fwiw. He will stay a wr there
Really?

That's super lame. Will the NFL change him to an RB? Does the team need to do anything special? Does it hurt or help the Packers in any way listing him as RB or WR?

Really?

That's super lame. Will the NFL change him to an RB? Does the team need to do anything special? Does it hurt or help the Packers in any way listing him as RB or WR?
Checked with them for Tyler gaffney when he was listed at wr and they said no.  I see now gaffney is listed at rb but he was cut and resigned to the ps so who knows

RB's don't wear #88 so I assume if GB wanted to designate him as a RB they would need to change his number.  I'm sure they'll just keep him as WR and line him up wherever they want.  

gabes1919 said:
This is what I think they will do. They should use him in the mold of Woodhead, Riddick, and White. He's not quite Dion Lewis yet as he doesn't run between the tackles as well but he might become that. Starks has been plowing ahead for less than 2 ypc this year, I'm not concerned about him coming back and taking over anything.

I'd like to add something very important. From what I saw, the man blocks too. He threw a couple good ones and made some good chips on his blocks and releases.
I agree. I think GB is gonna try a bunch of different stuff over the next couple weeks just like they did in the final few drives (after game was pretty much locked up).

They ran Cobb out of the I; Flexed the FB at HB out of the shotgun; used Ty as an HB in shotgun; ran Ty in motion from empty set; played Ty in the slot; ran K Davis from the I and shotgun HB; and put a lot of focus on Cobb and the FB (forgot his name) in different schemes.

Hard to say where Ty's value goes since i don't think GB knows yet. But he has a good shot to be involved meaningfully somehow. I would consider selling high offers personally, but am also happy to hold and see where it goes. Plus i like the kid.

Copying my response to a similar thought from the game thread to further the discussion here...

Dr. Brew said:
I didn't either but I see what JFS is saying. I can see some rb in him but he's clearly not polished. nor should he be at this point. he played his position best he could... didn't blow any pass protection and ran well 
Not to beat a dead horse, but his build is rather reminiscent of Forte to me... as is his gliding stride in the open field.  Forte's significantly better between the tackles right now -- not even arguing that.  I'm simply saying we haven't seen what Montgomery could become as a RB because he's been playing the position for the Packers for what, 2 weeks?  Now they get a mini bye off the Thursday night game.  Maybe he looks even better next week?

To me, there's not much incentive for the Packers to mess with what's working right now by trying to force in a guy (Knile) who's been pretty crappy his whole career. Plus we don't know the significance of Jackson's injury, unless I missed news this morning (though about the worst timing for him imaginable).  Rodgers and the offense looked the best it's looked in quite a while, and Montgomery dropped 120 total yards, mostly out of the backfield. 

If it ain't broke...

I would consider selling high offers personally, but am also happy to hold and see where it goes. Plus i like the kid.
I would consider sell high offers as well but I really don't know what that would be... It would have to be for someone I would consider a weekly flex, because right now Montgomery is at least a flex option, at most a very solid RB2/WR2. If he is eligible for RB that would raise his value significantly because even in the event he is switched back to WR permanently, I don't think his days as a receiver out of the backfield are over, and having a WR who could get some decent targets (GB is going to throw a lot this season), he could out-perform most RB2s as a WR. If he stays at RB in GB he has RB1 potential in PPR. 

Last edited by a moderator:
From the RB Lotto Tickets thread...

Pigskin Fanatic said:
take this for what it's worth. on espn radio last night they had a guest whose name I didn't catch but is either the actual local announcer for the Packers games or a local beat writer who has a good beat on the team. he stated that the team always wanted to develop Ty as a RB because he has the measurables and decent skill set to be a NFL back. He even noted that this doesn't mean gadget type plays like Cobb, but as an actual RB role. how successful this project would be is anyone's guess, but this is the first I heard of this and he stated this as a something the team had in mind since drafting him.

To me, there's not much incentive for the Packers to mess with what's working right now by trying to force in a guy (Knile) who's been pretty crappy his whole career. Plus we don't know the significance of Jackson's injury, unless I missed news this morning (though about the worst timing for him imaginable).  Rodgers and the offense looked the best it's looked in quite a while, and Montgomery dropped 120 total yards, mostly out of the backfield. 

If it ain't broke...

this is the takeaway. the packers offense has looked the best it's looked in a year and a half and that's largely due to having a player who can play both RB and WR in the huddle for a huge chunk of the plays. this is making their offense a little more difficult to scheme against.

i don't see them taking away this strategic advantage just to give 15 carries to some 3 yards and cloud of dust back.

the real question: what's montgomery's value right now? ROS and/or dynasty.

i'd put him in the 19-24 range ROS. definitely would rather have him than maclin or jordan matthews.

dynasty? i have ZERO clue... i picked him up and wouldn't trade him for a second round rookie pick right now and i'm sure nobody would give me a first just yet. he'll probably get RB/WR eligibility heading into next season, which is probably something to think about, too.

this is the takeaway. the packers offense has looked the best it's looked in a year and a half and that's largely due to having a player who can play both RB and WR in the huddle for a huge chunk of the plays. this is making their offense a little more difficult to scheme against.

i don't see them taking away this strategic advantage just to give 15 carries to some 3 yards and cloud of dust back.

the real question: what's montgomery's value right now? ROS and/or dynasty.

i'd put him in the 19-24 range ROS. definitely would rather have him than maclin or jordan matthews.

dynasty? i have ZERO clue... i picked him up and wouldn't trade him for a second round rookie pick right now and i'm sure nobody would give me a first just yet. he'll probably get RB/WR eligibility heading into next season, which is probably something to think about, too.
If my previous copied post from @Pigskin Fanatic is accurate (rather what he heard on the radio is accurate) that the Packers have long considered a full-time switch of Montgomery to RB, and are now accelerating that plan due to the injuries to Lacy and Starks, well... first test was passed with flying colors IMO.

I've said it before, but most WRs don't try to become RBs because they're not big enough.  Montgomery will never be confused with bowling balls like MJD, but he's thick enough, IMO, to have success like some slashing backs we've seen the past few years (think Forte types).  Plus he's clearly an excellent receiver (especially in the context of a RB.  In the most optimistic view, let's say his success on running plays continues, and he's an obvious weapon in the passing game... to me that's RB1 upside in a backfield where Lacy is a FA (and can't maintain playing weight), Starks is 30 years old (not to mention playing poorly and rather reluctantly brought back), and no one else is a viable long-term answer.

Sure they may draft a RB in the 2017 draft... but Montgomery could also answer that question for them long term.  Dynasty is a tricky beast -- you've got to weigh the future upside (RB1 potential IMO if he continues as he did last night), with the potential downside (4th WR, replaced at RB, gadget player).  One's worth its weight in gold, and the other is borderline waiver wire material.  The value of that comes down to individual leagues and team construction.

The fact that the guy wasn't a traditional WR / RB in college, nor did he have dominating numbers in either of the positions, yet they drafted him that high leads me to believe this is a similar role they had envisioned for him even before the draft as well.

Although he turned out to be a fine WR, drafting Cobb a couple years before makes me think GB likes the idea of having an effective gadget player.

Thing of it is, he's learning as he goes here. IMO with what he's shown, there's no reason not to see how good he could be. He needs reps reading the defense and learning the nuances of the position, but even without that he's putting up great numbers. The ceiling is enormous here...

@Dr. Brew called this first a couple weeks ago, and I echoed his season changer stance after seeing Montgomery play last Sunday.  He just might be this year's king maker. 
I hope so, but not convinced. I also tried trading him in the league I got him and nobody was convinced either. I'll probably ride him next week since Tyrell Williams is going to face off vs DEN again. If he keeps it up I'll roll with him till the music stops.

Copying my response to a similar thought from the game thread to further the discussion here...

Not to beat a dead horse, but his build is rather reminiscent of Forte to me... as is his gliding stride in the open field.  Forte's significantly better between the tackles right now -- not even arguing that.  I'm simply saying we haven't seen what Montgomery could become as a RB because he's been playing the position for the Packers for what, 2 weeks?  Now they get a mini bye off the Thursday night game.  Maybe he looks even better next week?

If it ain't broke...
Please don't compare him to Forte at RB. I stopped reading...

The fact that the guy wasn't a traditional WR / RB in college, nor did he have dominating numbers in either of the positions, yet they drafted him that high leads me to believe this is a similar role they had envisioned for him even before the draft as well.

Although he turned out to be a fine WR, drafting Cobb a couple years before makes me think GB likes the idea of having an effective gadget player.
Cobb was same type of player in college as well and he's been used some at RB but sparingly. So for me I don't see it as they drafted him to play this role, I think this role was born out of necessity. It is interesting they drafted two players with that background so maybe I'm incorrect but neither Starks or Lacy were lighting up the world and if both had remained healthy I don't think we see this so seems more like emergency plan than intended plan.

Be interesting to see how this unfolds. He might have been used out of necessity but that is the mother of invention. One one hand Knile Davis just got into town and I absolutely think they are far from done bringing in some RB's. On the other hand you don't just put a productive guy like him back on the shelf.

My best guess on this unfolding is Pack eventually get some semblance of a running game going but still we'll see Rodgers set career high for attempts, easily. I think once some other RB's settle in they take a bite out of Montgomery but I can see a little vintage Percy Harvin in his usage.

Also can't predict injuries but one drawback to this short passing game Green Bay might be taking is your receivers take abuse almost similar to a RB. Got no stats to back this up but I think it's a good recipe for injuries so I'm of opinion attrition eventually hits the WR's for Green Bay and if it's not Montgomery who is hurt he'd see his role grow as a receiver.

I  drafted Montomery in probably over half my rookie drafts in dynasty leagues. Cut him all over and struck out on FA so own him zero,  so it pains me to say I do think he has a chance to be the FA pickup of the year. 

I thought Knile would eventually take over this backfield but it's possible Ty has locked up the role of at least 3rd down / hurry up offense / game on the line role.  I don't expect the Packers go far in the playoffs like this but McCarthy seems more than happy adopting this Washington State Cougars-like offense.

Not sure if directed at me, but I own him for what it's worth.  I'm also the commissioner, and try to keep the league fair.  I won't override his position or anything, however it seems like he should be classified as a RB?
If you want to make the league more fair, something to consider for next year would be to change your roster requirements.  Require only 1 RB/WR/TE and make the rest of the startung lineup a flex positions.

Dr. Brew said:
ESPN will not change any position but Yahoo may

his value at rb would put him at Woodhead status. I hope they give him eligibility
FYI, Yahoo has posted the following message:

We've had several questions about Ty Montgomery being eligible at RB. He only qualifies as a WR for now. We will update if that changes. Please refer to the Packers' official roster below: http://www.packers.com/team/players.html
So they're leaving it open, though it sounds like it's tied to what the Packers do with their official roster. 

As mentioned, Matthew Berry has announced on his podcast that ESPN is not changing anything yet, but if they did they would only add a RB designation.

Please don't compare him to Forte at RB. I stopped reading...
This feels like you're taking shots at me just to take shots (which I've gotten that impression from your responses to my posts in other threads)... but since I'd rather give you the benefit of the doubt there, and assume you're not taking shots at me... 

I'm left to assume you either didn't read what I posted, or your didn't comprehend what you read.  Again, benefit of the doubt and all, I'll assume you didn't read it.  I didn't say he ran like Forte or was as good as Forte was as a RB or any of that.  I said his build looked like Forte, who is long-legged and not exactly thick in the lower half.  At the combine, when he entered the league, Forte measured 6'2" and 222lbs.  Montgomery measured 6' 221lbs.  They both look more like long striders in the open field.  I meant no insult to Forte, only to say their *builds* are similar.

A heads up for for @ESPNFantasy players: Ty Montgomery has been granted RB eligibility, effective this week. He can now be used at WR or RB.

— Field Yates (@FieldYates) October 24, 2016

Really need Yahoo to follow! Things are going as planned! ?
Yahoo posted that they are not changing his status right now and referred to GB's official roster. Stupid move IMO. I can't see him changing positions on GB's official roster page.

This might put pressure on Yahoo to follow ESPN's lead. I imagine if Montgomery plays 3 games at RB they may move him. By then it could be too late depending how Montgomery blossoms or fades

Yahoo posted that they are not changing his status right now and referred to GB's official roster. Stupid move IMO. I can't see him changing positions on GB's official roster page.

This might put pressure on Yahoo to follow ESPN's lead. I imagine if Montgomery plays 3 games at RB they may move him. By then it could be too late depending how Montgomery blossoms or fades
Did they release a new statement? I know they posted one on the 20th but that was even before the game against the Bears.

They want to compete with ESPN, they better change it. I know things like that alone will lead me to change my leagues without hesitation.
If enough people contact them and point this out, you will see the change.

Yahoo is about to be destroyed if they change on roto, ESPN, Fanduel and not on Yahoo. I know MFL does what roto does because of their partnership.
I will switch my daily lineups if it doesnt change at Yahoo, I like Yahoo and they have time to change, but if they dont, Im sure many wont have a problem walking away.

ESPN Fantasy has granted Ty Montgomery position eligibility at running back.
"I think he's a running back now," Aaron Rodgers said after the Packers' Week 7 win over the Bears. Montgomery has also been moved to running back on FanDuel, and will be moved to running back on Rotoworld's depth chart as well. Although Montgomery primarily remains a pass catcher, he has spent most of his time in the backfield over the past two games. He is an asset in PPR leagues, although Montgomery has more fantasy value in wide receiver slots.
Source: Matthew Berry on Twitter Oct 24 - 5:02 PM

Just what they had on the main page. they said they'd look into it. Maybe with ESPN changing it they will too
Honestly if ESPN, Fan Duel, Rotoworld depth chart lists him as RB eligible, I would get on board if I were Yahoo, considering FF is the only service they offer that people actually use nowadays.

I would not want any salty owners switching platforms next season over this. 

Since Yahoo seems pretty linked with Rotoworld, I'm hoping the depth chart switch with them will push Yahoo to make the switch. 

I suspect the third party data collector / cult of Funston /  fantasy football gods or whoever the hell they're referring to in their statement is just Rotoworld anyways.

Lol so yahoo has a new update on ty saying rotoworld and Espn now have his position changed to rb/wr, but have yet to make any switch themselves....Come on yahoo!!!! You're killing me smalls

Lol so yahoo has a new update on ty saying rotoworld and Espn now have his position changed to rb/wr, but have yet to make any switch themselves....Come on yahoo!!!! You're killing me smalls
Haha all their blurbs and notes are from Rotoworld, so hopefully they'll fall in line. 

This feels like you're taking shots at me just to take shots (which I've gotten that impression from your responses to my posts in other threads)... but since I'd rather give you the benefit of the doubt there, and assume you're not taking shots at me... 

I'm left to assume you either didn't read what I posted, or your didn't comprehend what you read.  Again, benefit of the doubt and all, I'll assume you didn't read it.  I didn't say he ran like Forte or was as good as Forte was as a RB or any of that.  I said his build looked like Forte, who is long-legged and not exactly thick in the lower half.  At the combine, when he entered the league, Forte measured 6'2" and 222lbs.  Montgomery measured 6' 221lbs.  They both look more like long striders in the open field.  I meant no insult to Forte, only to say their *builds* are similar.
Comparing him to a proven RB like Forte implies and insinuates a lot of things that are not true. Since you started the thread on Dwayne Washington and he also has a similar build to Ty, why didn't you use that comparison instead, or any other 6'2 220ish lbs NFL player? I feel like the reason you chose Forte over Swaggy was to insinuate skill/running style level with a proven player vs an unproven one, but I will give you the benefit of the doubt and accept that you only meant build. Forte has had 30 carries twice this season and is a better runner between the tackles, even if he has the same build. I did stop reading. Not a jab at you as much as just indicating the obvious that Ty Montgomery's rushing skill/style should not be compared to Matt Forte. Ty should have had a TD last Thursday, and FOrte probably would have got that TD. I also did not think you meant to insult Forte, but to "talk up" or hype Ty Montgomery.

A heads up for for @ESPNFantasy players: Ty Montgomery has been granted RB eligibility, effective this week. He can now be used at WR or RB.

— Field Yates (@FieldYates) October 24, 2016

Really need Yahoo to follow! Things are going as planned! ?
He will be my 4th RB starting in the WR spot next week and probably most weeks going forward as we can start 2RBs a flex and 2 WRs. This defiantly puts him in that unfair advantage role right now in PPR. He has a very nice floor for that 3rd WR spot if he continues to get 8+ carries along with his 6+ catches each week. They used him very well. I think he only ran between the tackles a few times so he should hold up. The should just keep dumping it off to him in the flat or on screens and run him on draws, sweeps, pitches and to the sidelines. Just keep him in space so he doesn't wear out too fast.

It's only a matter of time. I would imagine by tomorrow or Wednesday he is RB eligible in Yahoo. That is awesome. Now I'm super heavy at RB... go figure. I was light 5 weeks ago

It's only a matter of time. I would imagine by tomorrow or Wednesday he is RB eligible in Yahoo. That is awesome. Now I'm super heavy at RB... go figure. I was light 5 weeks ago
Yes I am sure Yahoo will come around. They are more of a follower than a trail blazer in FFB. It's doubtful they will take a stand on an issue like this, especially when you consider that they let Marques Colston play as a TE for an entire season.

I sure hope so, my wr are stacked, Julio, Hilton, nuk and AR (seemed like a good trade 3 weeks ago) 1.5 ppr i start 4 wr and 1 rb. Getting ty eligible would be huge. Lol current rb's are riddick, duke and a hodgepodge of lottery tickets. Fingers crossed!

I sure hope so, my wr are stacked, Julio, ty, nuk and AR (seemed like a good trade 3 weeks ago) 1.5 ppr i start 4 wr and 1 rb. Getting ty eligible would be huge. Lol current rb's are riddick, duke and a hodgepodge of lottery tickets. Fingers crossed!
Do you play in a 4-team league? Nobody can have those WR in a league with the setup you describe.

This isn't a league I participate in, but how does scoring work for for leagues like this:

RBs 0.5 PPR

WR 1.0 PPR

TE 1.5 PPR

If Ty has dual status it would pay more to play him at WR than RB in these leagues, correct? 

Again, not my league just trying to figure it out because I've seen people post this kind of scoring on here before

Do you play in a 4-team league? Nobody can have those WR in a league with the setup you describe.
Not really, it's feasible. He said AR was with a trade. He is admitting he is stacked at WR and obviously not doing too well at RB. Very conceivable. My WRs are ODB, DT, Diggs, Ty, Parker... ODB was a keeper. So there's that. Last year I had Antonio Brown and ODB thanks to our keeper rules. 

I drafted nuk and hilton. Traded gurley, Hyde, maclin, walker and a slew of others for Robinson and Julio (obviously got other assets back) it's not all fairy tale stuff. Currently 2-5, lost the last two weeks by 6 pts combined. Started Monty over nuk, in reality i should have started Monty over ar....fml ?

I drafted nuk and ty. Traded gurley, Hyde, maclin, walker and a slew of others for Robinson and Julio (obviously got other assets back) it's not all fairy tale stuff. Currently 2-5, lost the last two weeks by 6 pts combined. Started Monty over nuk, in reality i should have started Monty over ar....fml ?
So you have TY and Ty? Who is ty? I am so confused. 

I'm going to tweet @yahoofantasy Ty Mongomery RB (maxed out 140) every 15 minutes until they block me. I suggest the rest of you do the same. Together we stand, divided we stand as well, but with Ty Montgomery as a WR. Who's coming with me?!

ETA: Damn those twitter folks think of everything. 

Does anyone know if MFL has the capabilities for multiple positions? I kind of need Ty WR eligible for week 9 :-)

i've been with them since 2009 and i don't remember ever seeing that. (i'm 99% sure they just go off of whatever the team's official roster says). but considering flexibility is about the only thing they have going for them these days, i'm sure they can handle it. 

they do allow leagues to customize individual players' positions, too. so depending on your league rules, your commish could force it thru if everyone votes on it.

Users who are viewing this thread