What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

RB/WR Ty Montgomery, NE (4 Viewers)

I'm going to tweet @yahoofantasy Ty Mongomery RB (maxed out 140) every 15 minutes until they block me. I suggest the rest of you do the same. Together we stand, divided we stand as well, but with Ty Montgomery as a WR. Who's coming with me?!

ETA: Damn those twitter folks think of everything. 
Yeah they're getting pummeled with tweets already. They can't leave so many salty users in the dust. I suspect a change soon.

He will be my 4th RB starting in the WR spot next week and probably most weeks going forward as we can start 2RBs a flex and 2 WRs. This defiantly puts him in that unfair advantage role right now in PPR. He has a very nice floor for that 3rd WR spot if he continues to get 8+ carries along with his 6+ catches each week. They used him very well. I think he only ran between the tackles a few times so he should hold up. The should just keep dumping it off to him in the flat or on screens and run him on draws, sweeps, pitches and to the sidelines. Just keep him in space so he doesn't wear out too fast.
Yep, he's basically GB's Dion Lewis / Riddick / Sproles / Woodhead. I think he'll thrive if they keep featuring it, and he'll firmly be in my RB2 spot ROS in .5 PPR. Would be amazing after losing Lacy.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yep, he's basically GB's Dion Lewis / Riddick / Sproles / Woodhead. I think he'll thrive if they keep featuring it, and he'll firmly be in my RB2 spot ROS in .5 PPR. Would be amazing after losing Lacy.
Agreed, except he has WR designation while the others don't :)  

MFL Reply:

We don't plan to change him system wide, but your league can change his position if desired.  See below for more info on how to do that.

- Mike

This question is answered in our Help Center, which you can access from the "Help > Help Center" menu, in the "Players & Lineups" > "NFL Players" subcategory:

Can Ty Montgomery be listed as a RB instead of a WR?

Yes, the commissioner can use the For Commissioners>Setup>Players and Rosters>Change Player Position screen to change the position for any player as needed or desired for your league.  After a player position is changed, the player will only receive fantasy points based on the scoring rules defined for his new position.

For some background on the player positions, there isn't any way to designate a player at a "dual position", so each player is listed within MFL at a single position.  We use the <http://www.rotoworld.com/> Rotoworld.com Depth Charts as our official source for all player positions at the beginning of the season.  Then after the season starts, we generally don't make site-wide position changes, so it is up to your league commissioner to decide how to handle any player position changes after the season starts.

Regardless of how Rotoworld.com has a player position listed, the commissioner can use the above Change Player Position option to over-ride any player's position.

In addition, if you wish to allow your owners to be able to change the player's position, you can enable the option "Allow owners to change the position of these players back and forth between the MyFantasyLeague.com default position and your custom position" on the Change Player Position screen.  Then after that is done, the owners will be able to use the For Owners>Change My Player Position option to adjust the position of their player each week as needed.

Nobody is going to vote to change Montgomerys position since it only helps his owner, so guess he's staying put in most MFL leagues 

Does anyone know if MFL has the capabilities for multiple positions? I kind of need Ty WR eligible for week 9 :-)
Yes, each commissioner may make the following change:

From BroncoFreak_2K3: (MFL reply to help ticket): In addition, if you wish to allow your owners to be able to change the player's position, you can enable the option "Allow owners to change the position of these players back and forth between the MyFantasyLeague.com default position and your custom position" on the Change Player Position screen.  Then after that is done, the owners will be able to use the For Owners>Change My Player Position option to adjust the position of their player each week as needed.

Yes, each commissioner may make the following change:

MFL reply to help ticket: In addition, if you wish to allow your owners to be able to change the player's position, you can enable the option "Allow owners to change the position of these players back and forth between the MyFantasyLeague.com default position and your custom position" on the Change Player Position screen.  Then after that is done, the owners will be able to use the For Owners>Change My Player Position option to adjust the position of their player each week as needed.
MFL allows it, but that would never fly in any league Im in or commish.  Total BS.

Matthew Berry Verified account ‏@MatthewBerryTMR

My expectation is that Ty Montgomery gets most work Thurs BUT - Ty's a WR in ESPN's game & will stay that way. So for our purposes, not a RB

6:44 PM - 18 Oct 2016

--------

Matthew Berry Verified account ‏@MatthewBerryTMR

HEADS UP! @ESPNFantasy has granted Packers WR Ty Montgomery RB eligibility for the remainder of the 2016 season. He is now a RB/WR.

12:40 PM - 24 Oct 2016

ESPN's official fantasy rules

POSITION ELIGIBILITY

The NFL sends us an updated list of every player's position eligibility, including rookies, prior to the start of each season. We simply cannot change those positions as they must remain fixed throughout the course of the season despite whatever our personal feelings are as to who should be designated as a TE vs. WR and such.

Being the savvy fantasy football veteran that you are you might also be wondering if your commish has the ability to modify a player's position eligibility to suit the desires of your league. Unfortunately they don't and we're sorry - we know how frustrating it can be when a "running back" who often lines up in the slot and gets 50+ receptions a year can't get WR eligibility. But look on the bright side - at least you probably have a flex spot to work with.
Matthew Berry's chicken-crap response:

Matthew Berry Verified account

‏@MatthewBerryTMR

@FFtattletale @spennyfras @StopBuntingPlz @ESPNFantasy To be accurate, ESPN didn't change his position. We added to it. There's a difference

The day he was drafting a scout said they liked him for his versatility, he could line up in the backfield or split out. I don't see him as a RB, but he could be used there along with another back.

I think it's lame for him to be given RB by those sites. He's a WR. Until he's a RB on the official DC he should continue to be listed at WR. How many times do we see a RB line up wide? Or a TE as a WR? Remember Jimmy Graham wanting to be paid like a WR because he was split wide so often? He was still a TE. What makes this situation any different? He has played a role at RB for 2 weeks and there is no known long term role for him at RB as far as any of us know. I think it's foolish to be making any changes mid-year.

For the record, I own Ty in my money leagues.

What the heck is this guy's dynasty value right now? Trembley just put out his weekly rankings and has Ty as the #4 ranked WR this week  :shock:

With the logjam at RB (Starks back in a few weeks) and the overall poor play of the entire offense, maybe now is time to sell high. 

There is no reason what so ever a Montgomery owners wouldnt want him to have both WR and RB designation. So I think its safe to say you are full of malarkey and probably playing against him.

Lol @ people saying it's unfair to give position eligibility even if he's playing majority snaps there.

I just find it funny that most people saying it's not fair says so because they want RB production in a WR slot. Yeah that's perfectly fair ?

There is no reason what so ever a Montgomery owners wouldnt want him to have both WR and RB designation. So I think its safe to say you are full of malarkey and probably playing against him.
Of course Montgomery owners want him to have both designations, but the other 11 owners in the league wouldn't want that.

Lol @ people saying it's unfair to give position eligibility even if he's playing majority snaps there.

I just find it funny that most people saying it's not fair says so because they want RB production in a WR slot. Yeah that's perfectly fair ?
Do RBs score more than WRs on average?

I think it's lame for him to be given RB by those sites. He's a WR. Until he's a RB on the official DC he should continue to be listed at WR. How many times do we see a RB line up wide? Or a TE as a WR? Remember Jimmy Graham wanting to be paid like a WR because he was split wide so often? He was still a TE. What makes this situation any different? He has played a role at RB for 2 weeks and there is no known long term role for him at RB as far as any of us know. I think it's foolish to be making any changes mid-year.

For the record, I own Ty in my money leagues.
He's playing at rb now and he put up zero numbers as a wr. Its actually ridiculous that you can start him as a wr. He has no short or long term role at wr.

I want the dual designation more for flexibility.  Bye weeks and injuries (like McCoy being iffy)...I would love having the chance to move him around.
Exactly. Unless your league weighs scoring differently for RB/WR, the only benefit in this case is flexibility. In the case of Colston, that flexibility was more significant, since it's typically hard to get WR production out of your TE slot. But Joe Webb was the real game changer, since in most leagues QBs significantly outperform WRs. I started him in my championship game that year and he put up like 20 points, which was mediocre for a QB but a huge game for a WR.

Whatever you think of the Montgomery decision, its impact is likely to be minor.

He's playing at rb now and he put up zero numbers as a wr. Its actually ridiculous that you can start him as a wr. He has no short or long term role at wr.
He had 9 carries last week and 10 receptions so he may have lined up in the back a lot but he definitely didn't put up zero numbers as a WR.

Do RBs score more than WRs on average?
In certain formats I'd imagine so, and it's not even about positions as a whole it's about one player who is playing more than 90% of his snaps in position that is not assigned to him.

I don't think examples of RBs lining up at WR once in a while, or Tavon Austin getting a couple sweeps out of the backfield a game is a good argument in this scenario, as they are not seeing majority snaps there.

I just wanted to point out the irony of people on their high horse crying out cheating or that it's not fair, apparently think it's okay or fair that people can slot a RB in WR, a position that he does not even play. 

He had 9 carries last week and 10 receptions so he may have lined up in the back a lot but he definitely didn't put up zero numbers as a WR.

I think his point was that most of his routes were run out of the backfield, so he was a "RB" on those plays, even though he caught the ball. 

Ty Montgomery was drafted in 2015 as a WR out of Stanford. He was a WR for the Packers in 2015. He was a WR for the Packers in 2016. He has been listed as a WR for the Packers since he was drafted. Ty Montgomery is a WR. For you to assume he has no short or long term role at WR is nothing more than that, an assumption. He has been used as a RB for 2 games to get them through. The team traded for a RB and promoted one from their PS. They also have Starks coming back in a few weeks. You are making assumptions.

It was not until the team was hit with injuries to their RBs before Ty began to get a significant amount of snaps at RB. He has been used primarily as a pass catcher out of the backfield. But this justifies him to be re-classified as a RB mid-year? Because of 2 games? What happens if Knile Davis & James Starks regain the RB snaps and Montgomery is relegated to running out wide? Is his designation going to be taken away, because he's a WR then? This is foolish.

I just wanted to point out the irony of people on their high horse crying out cheating or that it's not fair, apparently think it's okay or fair that people can slot a RB in WR, a position that he does not even play
This is amazing. He has been a WR since he was drafted in 2015 and until 2 weeks ago, was a WR. He plays RB for 2 games and now he doesn't even play WR?

If the Packers put him on the DC as a RB, fair game. Until then, he should remain a WR.

I'm out of this discussion as apparently logic is not going to apply here. 

Yahoos new message on page.

We are aware that Ty Montgomery's status has recently been changed. Our product team is reviewing his status and we will update this on our site once the review is completed. We thank you for your patience.

Ty Montgomery was drafted in 2015 as a WR out of Stanford. He was a WR for the Packers in 2015. He was a WR for the Packers in 2016. He has been listed as a WR for the Packers since he was drafted. Ty Montgomery is a WR. For you to assume he has no short or long term role at WR is nothing more than that, an assumption. He has been used as a RB for 2 games to get them through. The team traded for a RB and promoted one from their PS. They also have Starks coming back in a few weeks. You are making assumptions.

It was not until the team was hit with injuries to their RBs before Ty began to get a significant amount of snaps at RB. He has been used primarily as a pass catcher out of the backfield. But this justifies him to be re-classified as a RB mid-year? Because of 2 games? What happens if Knile Davis & James Starks regain the RB snaps and Montgomery is relegated to running out wide? Is his designation going to be taken away, because he's a WR then? This is foolish.

This is amazing. He has been a WR since he was drafted in 2015 and until 2 weeks ago, was a WR. He plays RB for 2 games and now he doesn't even play WR?

I'm out of this discussion as apparently logic is not going to apply here. 
Let me ask you this then. If he gets his position changed to RB because he's playing majority snaps there ROS, are you okay with them taking away the WR tag?

If they take him out of the passing back role, then yeah sure, take back the RB eligibility. But you and I both know that he's not going away from it.

I don't care where anyone is drafted, if they don't play that position anymore then they shouldn't be eligible there. 

Its not just 2 games he's played more RB snaps than WR the entire season, and it's going to continue. 

So have fun getting RB numbers in your WR slot, cause yeah that's completely fair ?

Hey Tommy, with all due respect, it doesnt matter what you, I, ESPN or Yahoo thinks quite honestly. His own QB called him a RB now. I am just guessing here, but his QB may know more than you on this.

Yahoos new message on page.

We are aware that Ty Montgomery's status has recently been changed. Our product team is reviewing his status and we will update this on our site once the review is completed. We thank you for your patience.
I sure wish they would change him to wr/rb. And if they could do it before I enter my ww bids tonight that would be awesome

:)

If the Packers put him on the DC as a RB, fair game. Until then, he should remain a WR.

I'm out of this discussion as apparently logic is not going to apply here
You said yourself the guy is getting a significant amount of snaps at RB.

Sounds like a guy that should be eligible at RB to me :shrug:

That doesn't pass as logical to you?

Let me ask you this then. If he gets his position changed to RB because he's playing majority snaps there ROS, are you okay with them taking away the WR tag?

If they take him out of the passing back role, then yeah sure, take back the RB eligibility. But you and I both know that he's not going away from it.

I don't care where anyone is drafted, if they don't play that position anymore then they shouldn't be eligible there. 

Its not just 2 games he's played more RB snaps than WR the entire season, and it's going to continue. 

So have fun getting RB numbers in your WR slot, cause yeah that's completely fair ?
Sure

Hey Tommy, with all due respect, it doesnt matter what you, I, ESPN or Yahoo thinks quite honestly. His own QB called him a RB now. I am just guessing here, but his QB may know more than you on this.
Agreed. Nothing I say has any bearing on this. As far as Rodgers comments, he said "I think he's a running back now." Doesn't mean he is. He doesn't make that call, just like I don't.

You said yourself the guy is getting a significant amount of snaps at RB.

Sounds like a guy that should be eligible at RB to me :shrug:

That doesn't pass as logical to you?
If he were RB moving forward, yes. But a 2 week timespan when the team was hit with the injury bug is a tough sell. If this continues ROS then by all means it makes sense. But right now none of us know what's going to happen.

Is Montgomery only a 3-4 week solid producer while until they can go back to a more traditional RB role? or do we see this happening going forward with 15+ total touches.

Is Montgomery only a 3-4 week solid producer while until they can go back to a more traditional RB role? or do we see this happening going forward with 15+ total touches.
I think he's everything they wanted Cobb to be.  He's a weapon. They hitched their wagon to a couple of stiff RB's in Lacy and Starks.  If they continue to win dinking and dunking down the field, why break the recipe?  I don't know if it's sustainable, but I don't think Knile Davis is going to be a threat to Ty's workload.  That guy sucks.

I think how it plays out is like the Cowboys game with Lacy playing.

Lacy got 17 carries, and Monty got his passing back production which we've seen now against the Bears as well.

However I don't think Knile / Starks hit 17 carries on average and will probably be seeing 10-12 unless it's a blowout and they're running the clock out.

Neither is a threat to Montys actual role as the pass catching back IMO.

Hu-Tang Clan said:
Has MFL ever done this?  Colston was always a WR on MFL and not a TE.  I don't recall them ever doing this with any player ever but I could be mistaken.
They've changed DJ Foster from WR to RB this season.

Foster was converted to RB before training camp even started. His official NFL position has always been RB and his uniform # has always been 27.

So if MFL changed anything, it was only to correct their own (wrong) assumption that he would be a WR.

Foster was converted to RB before training camp even started. His official NFL position has always been RB and his uniform # has always been 27.

So if MFL changed anything, it was only to correct their own (wrong) assumption that he would be a WR.
Yeah, maybe but the question was whether MFL ever changed a player's positional designation, so I answered that question.

It's quite an advantage to roster this fellow. I was always a sucker for getting McCluster on my team when he was in KC because of his WR/RB designation. "If he breaks out, what an advantage he will be through the bye weeks." I thought. Well looks like I am finally going to cash in on this swiss army knife type versatility advantage I always dreamed with in McCluster, but with an elite QB running the offense. I know Rodgers can make 2-5 yards swing passes work.. ;)

I am already seeing him ranked as high as top WR5 for week 8. I was hoping he would be a solid high floor WR3. This is like landing an elite WR1 who you can spot fill for RB on certain weeks LMAO. Of course its only 2 weeks of production and 3 makes a trend. I have said that for Quincy Enunwa and Meridith this year and neither made it to a solid game 3 performance so here's hoping Ty keeps the role in spite of Knile Davis learning the book over the long week. Tempering expectations for top5WR, but still feel he is a strong WR3/RB2 play which is where most of us will play him.

I really don't see any logic in denying a guy running back status when he is clearly being used at the position.  Leagues can handle this differently, but setting some minimum number of games (or snaps) to qualify is done in fantasy baseball all the time.  Manny Machado won a lot of people championships this year by playing 40 games at SS. 

This is easy to make work.  Just come up with some standards (and do it in advance).

I really don't see any logic in denying a guy running back status when he is clearly being used at the position.
Because it is a slippery slope. Who decides the official # of snaps before a player is eligible for a particular position? Can you play one snap out of the backfield and then get RB eligibility for the entire year? If Tom Brady kicks an extra point, can I start him at kicker for the rest of the season?

Users who are viewing this thread