What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

RB/WR Ty Montgomery, NE (3 Viewers)

He has been fine. Not to belabor the point, but he isn't necessarily the prototypical outside WR. He had some success there at Stanford, but in his last year or two was used more as a slot/gadget guy. As a senior he only averaged 9.9 yards per reception and had 23 carries out of the backfield. What do those stats indicate? He was primarily targeted on short plays designed to get the ball in his hands quickly and let him make things happen. I always disagreed with the idea that he's "really a RB." It's ridiculous and never fit his game. He isn't nearly elusive enough to play there. However, he's definitely not the prototypical X receiver who's going to line up wide and destroy the other team's #1 corner all game (though he can do some of that). He's more of an "offensive weapon" type in the mold of Percy Harvin, Julian Edelman, Aaron Hernandez, and Jordan Reed. This is an important thing to keep in mid you're tempted to talk about the Adams/Nelson injury as the "perfect storm" of opportunity for Montgomery. I would argue that this isn't the perfect storm for him at all. He would benefit MUCH more from a Cobb injury than an injury to Adams/Nelson because Cobb is his Packer equivalent. His TD this week came from the Z position on a shallow cross over the middle. It was a Cobb type of route, not a Nelson or Adams play. And while people will call it a blown coverage, he played a role in creating the mistake with a nice fake to the outside and good timing/quickness in the route.

I think part of the reason why the Pack were able to get him for what looks like a bit of a steal in hindsight is exactly because a lot of people didn't know what to make of him. As an outside WR, he's lackluster in certain respects. He isn't a good jump ball guy and his deep speed is merely okay. He's also a bit on the short side (not that height alone matters much). However, what he brings is athleticism and versatility. We've seen how creative teams have been able to get good value out of non-traditional offensive weapons like Reed, Edelman, Woodhead, Hernandez, Harvin, and Cobb. Already we've seen the Pack use Ty outside, in the slot, and in the backfield. If he can be dynamic on quick hitters and passable as an edge receiver, he could be an exciting weapon in that offense. It has to be an OC's dream to have a guy like this who you can line up anywhere and put in motion anywhere. Gives you a lot of exciting matchups. From an FF standpoint, I've learned that any time you can get a solid player in a dynamic offense, there's potential for a big payoff. I don't know that Ty has a massive yardage ceiling, but this could be a guy who puts up Edelman/Cobb stats with the right opportunity.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have to disagree with your assessment EBF. If you recall, prior to his senior year he was consistently mentioned among the top WRs in the nation (IIRC Kiper, for one had him as a top 5). I attended several Stanford games and he was a key player on both offense and kick off team. TM almost exclusively played split end (not slot), but they scheme a lot of other plays for him (reverses, wild cats and so forth).

The main reason he fell in the draft was because his production fell off the cliff his senior year. He got hurt and Hogan had a miserable year (turns out Hogan was dealing with his dad's death over the season). TM is a much better athlete than you portray. I guess that is why my expectation are so high. :P

Montgomery has 17 targets on the year. He has caught 13 of those for 125 yards and 2 td's. He will be a stud in this offense in a couple years time. If you have the patience you will be rewarded in time.

I think he has a higher ceiling than Adams in this Packers offense long term. The only concern is will Montgomery be able to play outside and inside. I think he has the skills to be both Cobb a beast in the slot and he also has enough skills to be a very good outside WR. With Cobb manning the slot for the next while Ty will have to develop more as an outside guy for when Jordy is done being elite in a couple of years.

Good news that it's not serious. With Cobb seemingly less than 100% and Nelson/Adams either out or hobbled, the Packers actually need Montgomery pretty badly.

Rotoworld:

Ty Montgomery (ankle) was seen limping around the Packers' facility on Wednesday.

Despite coming off a bye, Montgomery couldn't practice and appears extremely doubtful to play against the Broncos on Sunday Night Football. The Packers won't need Montgomery as much with Davante Adams (ankle) set for return.

Source: Milwaukee Journal-Sentinel

Oct 28 - 11:33 PM

Practiced in full today.

@TomSilverstein: Rookie WR Ty Montgomery was practicing the last 2 weeks but couldn't get medically cleared to play. May get that this week, McCarthy said.
Could be a nice boost to the offense. He looked pretty good before the injury.

Dare I say they need him? Cobb has been less than spectacular this season. Well off his typical yards/target output.

Any word on his status? I may need him eventually after losing Edelman and maybe Emmanuel for a little while

Back at practice. Could be an interesting waiver grab in FF. Green Bay's WR have crapped the bed lately and I think they'll give Ty a chance to make plays down the stretch.

Ty Montgomery (active/PUP, ankle surgery) offered no timetable for his return at Packers camp Wednesday.
Montgomery also revealed the details of his surgery, which took place last December. As passed along by ESPN's Rob Demovsky, Montgomery had "tight ropes inserted into his ligaments to hold them in place, a cartilage repair and -- perhaps most serious -- a microfracture procedure on his talus (a bone between the heel and fibula and tibia)." Microfracture is most commonly associated with knee injuries, but it was done on Montgomery's ankle. Montgomery has been cleared to run and did indicate that he is feeling good: "I pretty much do everything everybody else does except practice."

Source: ESPN.com 
Aug 3 - 8:33 PM

So what led to his increased involvement today? 11 targets, 9 catches and counting after nothing in the first part of the season.

So what led to his increased involvement today? 11 targets, 9 catches and counting after nothing in the first part of the season.
Looks like the "perfect storm".  I didn't see the game, but did see this:

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/week-6-live-blog-164700571--nfl.html

(6:44PM) With the Dallas defense focusing on stopping WR Randall Cobb and Jordy Nelson, QB Aaron Rodgers has looked to WR Ty Montgomery early and often. Montgomery leads the team with nine catches for 93 yards, besting the combination of stats from Cobb and Nelson.  

(6:41PM) Packers WR Davante Adams took a tough hit on a pass over the middle and is out of the game, presumably being evaluated for a concussion.

“I thought Ty did a lot of good things,” coach Mike McCarthy said. “I would have liked to get more of a run game with him there, it just wasn’t quite right. But it was good to get him opportunities. I felt the five-wide receiver package with him in the backfield as a wide receiver with the one tight end, we were able to get some good looks and have some production.”
http://www.jsonline.com/story/sports/nfl/packers/2016/10/16/ty-montgomery-has-breakout-game/92228400/

If there's one thing to expect from the Packers on Thursday, Montgomery will be one of the featured players on offense. And with Davantae Adams suffering a concussion on Sunday, there's a very good chance Montgomery will be a starter along with Jordy Nelson and Randall Cobb.

My biggest question regarding Montgomery is when/if he gains RB position eligibility. It happens in baseball all the time where a guy makes spot starts at a secondary position and than is eligible there for FF purposes...

He lined up in the backfield on literally 68% of his snaps sunday-- to me, that is a RB... 

I agree. Why dont you do the leg work and contact Yahoo, ESPN, CBS or even Rotoworld to start the argument. Even contact the Packers to list him as a RB. I'm sure Monty owners will thank you if you get it done. I know I will but I think we also know he wont get any rushing scores.

I like him this week where people need bye week flex help.  Davis just coming in...other RBs hurt...Adams hurt.  He should see a good amount of action.

My biggest question regarding Montgomery is when/if he gains RB position eligibility. It happens in baseball all the time where a guy makes spot starts at a secondary position and than is eligible there for FF purposes...

He lined up in the backfield on literally 68% of his snaps sunday-- to me, that is a RB... 

Assuming that you are on MFL, it is extremely rare to have a position change during the season.  Actually, and I'm sure someone will prove me wrong, but I don't ever remember it happening.

Copying this from the Don Jackson thread...

Here's my take on this whole thing (expanding on my brief take last night) -- full disclosure, I own Jackson in every league, and I own Montgomery in most of them (wish I owned him everywhere, and am trying to acquire -- within reason -- prior to Thursday night):

• At the Combine, Ty Montgomery measured 6', 221lbs and ran a 4.55 40.  More impressively (and if you've seen my posts previously about Agility Scores and how they matter), he posted a 6.97 3-cone with a 4.21 short shuttle -- that's a 11.18 Agility Score at 220+ lbs.  For context, compared to 220lb+ backs in his draft class, that agility score is pretty solid. 

Malcolm Brown (224lbs) - 6.86 3-Cone; 4.15 Short Shuttle -- 11.01 Agility Score
  • David Johnson (224lbs) - 6.82 3-Cone; 4.27 Short Shuttle -- 11.09 Agility Score
  • Jay Ajayi (221lbs) - 7.10 3-Cone; 4.10 Short Shuttle -- 11.20 Agility Score
  • Zach Zenner (223lbs) - 7.08 3-Cone; 4.14 Short Shuttle -- 11.22 Agility Score
  • Buck Allen (221lbs) - 6.96 3-Cone; 4.28 Short Shuttle -- 11.24 Agility Score
  • TJ Yeldon (226lbs) - 7.19 3-Cone; 4.22 Short Shuttle -- 11.41 Agility Score
  • Karlos Williams (230lbs) - 7.16 3-Cone; 4.46 Short Shuttle -- 11.62 Agility Score (gross - not his game)

[*]Ty Montgomery's draft profile spoke of a guy that could be an excellent RB. 
Strengths
Built like a full-grown man. Body type resembles that of a running back with well-defined, muscular legs. Foot quickness to create separation on short to intermediate routes. Played outside, from slot, as a tailback and as a wildcat quarterback. Displays good lateral movement and balance with ball in his hands.
Montgomery essentially played the Starks role on Sunday afternoon and has a career game.  The commentators on that game mentioned that Aaron Rodgers told them that RB "might be his [Montgomery's] best position."  Starks has kinda sucked all year, but his primary value to the Packers over the last few years has been in the screen game.  Green Bay targets very athletic linemen that can get out on screen plays and block downfield.  Montgomery brought an element of that back last week that's been missing from the offense.  Starks is also out a month, and Lacy could potentially be headed to IR.  Even if Lacy returns in a month, Montgomery's role as the Starks-type back is stable for the next few weeks IMO.  If he shines... well... can't put that genie back in the bottle, as they say.  Starks is averaging 1.8 YPC this year and is 30 years old.  He's not invincible.

[*]Jackson's role in this, IMO, is as the Lacy replacement for the short term.  I don't really know what to expect from Jackson.  I don't think Knile Davis is very good.  The Chiefs obviously don't think he's very good either -- basically selling him for a complete unknown pick in 2 years that may or may not be anything more than a 7th rounder.  He's averaged a whopping 3.3 YPC for his career.  He's not very agile, though he is big and fast.  Can that work in GB?  Truthfully I don't know, but I kinda think we know what we're going to get with Knile Davis.  He'll get what's blocked... that's it.  I almost see him as an emergency guy if Jackson got hurt, or if Montgomery got hut... Davis gives them a warm body at the position so they're not left with going 5 wide the whole time or just playing Ripkowski at RB.

Doesn't look like he'll gain RB eligibility in ESPN. 

Position Eligibility

• The NFL sends ESPN an updated list of every player's position eligibility, including rookies, prior to the start of each season
  • We cannot change those positions- they remain fixed throughout the course of the season
  • League Managers DO NOT have the ability to change a player's position

Iirc, Colston was a wr his entire rookie season, and was listed as a TE the whole season. They never changed it, and I don't he he played a snap at TE

What, then when Knile is back, will Yahoo change him back to a WR?

Quit looking for stupid loopholes.  He's a WR.

What, then when Knile is back, will Yahoo change him back to a WR?

Quit looking for stupid loopholes.  He's a WR.
If he gets significant snaps / playing time in the backfield and becomes similar to Theo Riddick catching passes, Yahoo may very well change his designation to WR/RB like McCluster and Denard Robinson has been in the past. After they do change it, he will be eligible for both positions all year.

ESPN locks their positions at start of the season.

I like him this week where people need bye week flex help.  Davis just coming in...other RBs hurt...Adams hurt.  He should see a good amount of action.
That was my thinking last night - dropped Dixon & put Montgomery in the Flex. Expecting that on a short week there's a chance he still gets double digit targets/touches. Might cut him in a week, don't really see him having that role ROS, but good spot start here.

That was my thinking last night - dropped Dixon & put Montgomery in the Flex. Expecting that on a short week there's a chance he still gets double digit targets/touches. Might cut him in a week, don't really see him having that role ROS, but good spot start here.
I wish I had room for him in PPR...may be more than just one week...but this week should be a big one.

Montgomery has real value for the next 3-4 weeks at least IMO.  I think he will continue to lead GB's backfield in touches and has a nice PPR floor with decent upside.

Users who are viewing this thread