Jump to content
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Dynasty: Ty Montgomery, WR Stanford


Recommended Posts

4 minutes ago, sho nuff said:

I have a big feeling about Monty tonight...tempted to flex him over Fitz against seattle...though, Fitz did well agaisnt them last season (OBJr and Cam Meredith starting at WR)

I have a similar feeling about tonight, but I'm nervous that Don Jackson is going to steal the show. Thinking about Ty over Baldwin (@AZ), but am leaning against it as of now.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, zftcg said:

Although in a weird way it makes me wonder more about his LT value. You can't just stick a WR in your backfield for 10 games and expect it to work out. So after tonight, do they rush to get Davis/Jackson up to speed so they actually have a legit RB in the lineup?

I freely admit I have no basis to back any of this up. It just intuitively feels like a different situation when you're figuring out how to make it through the rest of the season as opposed to figuring out how to jury-rig things to get through the next couple games.

I can't remember where I saw it but I seem to recall Ty profiled as a possible RB at the combine and the pack toyed with that idea a little bit during camp his rookie year. RB is one of the easiest positions to learn, I think he has a chance to be the guy if he shows well

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, gabes1919 said:

I can't remember where I saw it but I seem to recall Ty profiled as a possible RB at the combine and the pack toyed with that idea a little bit during camp his rookie year. RB is one of the easiest positions to learn, I think he has a chance to be the guy if he shows well

Do you think he could actually be a between-the-tackles guy, or just a Riddick/Sproles type?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, LawFitz said:

I have a similar feeling about tonight, but I'm nervous that Don Jackson is going to steal the show. Thinking about Ty over Baldwin (@AZ), but am leaning against it as of now.

Id probably stick with Baldwin.

Fitz seems very dependent on TDs...Atl did well against them, but Larry at his age is not Julio (QB situation also a bit different).

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, Cowboysfan8 said:

That's pretty ballsy imo

 

yeah maybe.

maybe i'm being an idiot, but my thoughts are that since i'm playing a better team i'd rather go for the homerun... if he gets 5-10 carries and 6+ targets, i think he's got the better chance for a huge game...

but i've still got 5 hours to waffle on it!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

From when he was drafted a few years ago (courtesy of Rotoworld):

 

Packers selected Stanford WR Ty Montgomery with the No. 94 overall pick in the 2015 NFL draft.

Montgomery (6'0/221) was an "OW" (Offensive Weapon) at Stanford, parlaying 172 career catches into 2,125 yards (12.4 YPR) and 15 touchdowns. Montgomery added four rushing TDs, three on kickoff returns and two as a punt returner. Although not a natural catcher of the football, Montgomery has plus size and athleticism, running 4.55 in Indy with a 40 1/2-inch vertical and 10-foot-1 broad jump. Some draft analysts have suggested Montgomery take up running back full time. Others liken him to a cross between Cordarrelle Patterson and Mohamed Sanu. Either way, Montgomery should immediately make an impact as a return specialist. The Pack could utilize him as a gadget player on offense as a rookie.
 
 

The Packers view third-round WR Ty Montgomery as a "bigger" Randall Cobb.

Packers scout Sam Seale made the comparison. Montgomery has return ability and running back skills after the catch that remind of Cobb, but he struggled as a receiver throughout his college career. Montgomery could make an early impact on special teams, but he has to improve as a pure receiver before he makes a significant impact on offense.
 
 
 
Packers third-round pick Ty Montgomery has dropped his weight to 212 after weighing 221 at the NFL Combine.
Some draftniks suggested Montgomery's best NFL position would be running back, but the Packers view him as an inside receiver with return value. Shedding weight confirms the Packers don't see him as a running back. Micah Hyde should keep Green Bay's primary punt return job, but Montgomery could be a factor on kickoffs. He returned three kicks for touchdowns at Stanford.
 
 
Source: Packer Report
Fri, May 8, 2015 09:22:00 PM
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, mnmplayer said:

Anybody got film on Ty Montgomery as a RB in college? Links? 6'0 220 qualifies as a decent start for a RB body type, but he didn't show much last week with his 3 carries.

He lost a fumble on his last carry, if that counts for anything.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, LawFitz said:

He lost a fumble on his last carry, if that counts for anything.

He had 39 career rushes in college, so gotta just have been used for gadget plays mostly. The only college rush I saw on a highlight reel was a reverse. He is a long strider WR type from what I saw in his highlights after the catch, which is to be expected from a WR. I did not see any between the tackles rushing. It's doubtful he could be a full time between the tackles rusher at the pro-level. He could be a nice Riddick type in PPR tho.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Anyone nervous about Don Jackson? 


I can't find myself too nervous to sit Monty because of him getting most of the RB duties. It makes sense... he's the only RB on the roster (besides Davis). Monty doesn't come across as a guy who would get a lot of the rushing between the tackles. With Adams hurt Monty is likely moving out to the WR position during obvious passing downs. Just the sheer target potential I think you have to play him. I'm not too bummed about Jackson because we knew they had some RBs. Davis isn't going to eat in to his action much, maybe Christine Michael in Dallas type work.

12 targets last week with a healthy Lacy. I expect more of the same if not better tonight without Adams and Jackson as the only one who knows the plays

 

Edited by Dr. Brew
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, Isotopes said:

Does the Don Jackson promotion to active roster change your minds about Ty tonight?

Not really.

I knew some back would get 10-15 touches with Ty getting 3rd down work, some carries and mostly receptions out of the backfield.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, mnmplayer said:

He had 39 career rushes in college, so gotta just have been used for gadget plays mostly. The only college rush I saw on a highlight reel was a reverse. He is a long strider WR type from what I saw in his highlights after the catch, which is to be expected from a WR. I did not see any between the tackles rushing. It's doubtful he could be a full time between the tackles rusher at the pro-level. He could be a nice Riddick type in PPR tho.

Based on what, exactly?  The fact that he hasn't done it yet?  OK... doesn't mean he can't do it, and he has a prototype body and athleticism for the position.  Can he learn blocking schemes and such?  I'm not sure... but I wouldn't say it's doubtful.  We really don't know that just yet.  We've seen plenty of converted WRs do pretty well as RBs, they just transitioned in college.  We've also seen other position switches at the pro level, like Edelman and Pryor from QB to WR. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, JFS171 said:

Based on what, exactly?  The fact that he hasn't done it yet?  OK... doesn't mean he can't do it, and he has a prototype body and athleticism for the position.  Can he learn blocking schemes and such?  I'm not sure... but I wouldn't say it's doubtful.  We really don't know that just yet.  We've seen plenty of converted WRs do pretty well as RBs, they just transitioned in college.  We've also seen other position switches at the pro level, like Edelman and Pryor from QB to WR. 

Pretty much. I haven't seen it yet. If he can then great. can he pass protect? I don't know the answers to these questions. Hopefully he can make that switch

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, JFS171 said:

Based on what, exactly?  The fact that he hasn't done it yet?  OK... doesn't mean he can't do it, and he has a prototype body and athleticism for the position.  Can he learn blocking schemes and such?  I'm not sure... but I wouldn't say it's doubtful.  We really don't know that just yet.  We've seen plenty of converted WRs do pretty well as RBs, they just transitioned in college.  We've also seen other position switches at the pro level, like Edelman and Pryor from QB to WR. 

Never said he can't do it, just said it was doubtful. Please point to converted RBs that were successful at the pro level after making a switch at the pro level. I can't think of any. Doesn't mean there are not any out there. Willing to listen...

Edited by mnmplayer
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Dr. Brew said:

Pretty much. I haven't seen it yet. If he can then great. can he pass protect? I don't know the answers to these questions. Hopefully he can make that switch

I'm not arguing it's likely, but his own QB said it was his best position, and McCarthy came out after the game on Sunday and said Ty did a lot of very good things and needed the ball more.  Tells me he's the passing down back right now.  Can he become more?  Well the thing that stops most WRs from even considering a switch to RB is build, and Montgomery is built like a brick ####house, or was at the combine. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, maksdaddy said:

Starting him over Pryor as WR3.  F'd up scoring gets a point per carry or reception so the thought of him getting a mere 10 carries plus catches vaults him to a WR1.

I'm doing the same. Can't trust that Pryor is going to be healthy.

Anybody waiting on a decision to start him depeding on D. Adam's status? If Adams is ruled out, I'd think that more doors are opened and his floor and ceiling are both higher.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, JFS171 said:

I'm not arguing it's likely, but his own QB said it was his best position, and McCarthy came out after the game on Sunday and said Ty did a lot of very good things and needed the ball more.  Tells me he's the passing down back right now.  Can he become more?  Well the thing that stops most WRs from even considering a switch to RB is build, and Montgomery is built like a brick ####house, or was at the combine. 

I think somebody pointed out he fumbled on only 3 carries. To be honest I am not sure if this came from a catch or a between the tackles rush, but nothing on film has shown me he could be an every down between the tackles rusher aside from his size. He is like Swaggy in that respect (who was a converted WR from college)... but I digress. Sure edge rushes, swings, outlets, pitches, dump offs, catches ... get him in space he could be productive. But that's a lot different from carrying the ball 15-20 times between the tackles.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, mnmplayer said:

I think somebody pointed out he fumbled on only 3 carries. To be honest I am not sure if this came from a catch or a between the tackles rush, but nothing on film has shown me he could be an every down between the tackles rusher aside from his size. He is like Swaggy in that respect (who was a converted WR from college)... but I digress. Sure edge rushes, swings, outlets, pitches, dump offs, catches ... get him in space he could be productive. But that's a lot different from carrying the ball 15-20 times between the tackles.

He fumbled on a between the tackles rush to end the game.

That said, I still might start him tonight at my WR3 spot (if Davis, Adams and Abbrederis are all out).

Link to comment
Share on other sites

montgomery is flying up WR rankings today.

as of right now, koerner has him at #15, paulsen at #20, and scott pianowski and justine boone both at #26...

those are higher rankings than i'd have expected for a waiver wire grab from those guys...

 

EDIT: a couple of the main FBG staff rankings have him in the #16-#20 range too... 

 

start him with confidence!

Edited by strong
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I just can't force myself to do it. I have to choose 3 of Montgomery, Gilislee, Ware, Bernard, and Quizz Rodgers. I cannot justify starting Monty over any of those assuming they all start. I think I'm going to just sit tight this week with Jackson and Montgomery on my bench and keep the guy who shows something.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

With both RBs active, I'm out on Ty tonight. This is his game log for this year. Look at what he's done in prior weeks when they had healthy RBs and he didn't get 13 looks out of the backfield. 10 of his 12 target passes were as an RB last week.

WK  OPP REC YDS TD PTS
1 @Jax 0 0 0 0.7
2 @Min 0 0 0 1.1
3 Det 0 0 0 1.1
4 BYE - - - -
5 NYG 0 0 0 1.3
6 Dal 10 98 0 16.6
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, VikingFrog said:

What about the Packers reporter saying he will get most of the running back Reps?

That was from this morning.

My assumptions were starting him meant 6-8 receptions and at least a handful of rushing attempts. Just not sure that's too likely.

He could break one, but just feels like the odds favor him reaching his floor vs. ceiling.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
  • Create New...