Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Dynasty & Redraft: WR Nelson Agholor, Patriots

Forgive my ignorance to Chip Kelly's offense here, but typically the outside guy gets more yards than the slot. However, all the rankings I see show Mathews higher. Sup?

One guy has played actual NFL games already. The other hasn't yet.
Figured as much, just thought there might be more to it. Thx
  • Replies 570
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Last night's line for Aghlor is the perfect argument against the PPR format. THAT receiving performance is worth 11 points? Terrible. Yes, I play in PPR but that line deserves negative point

Adding relevant content to the player threads from a variety of sources is my way of making a positive contribution to the message boards. Some people play in in 14 and 16 team leagues with larger ros

I’m confused, what was wrong with his performance?  He caught 8 of his 10 targets.  On one of the targets he didn’t catch, he was open downfield and foles took too long to get rid of it and it was nea

Agholar is legit but he is a rookie. If he can crack the starting lineup on the outside, he will be in for some monster games. But it might not be till week 6 or 7. It's one thing to get used to training camp or preseason speed but live game speed will take time.

Do people here really beleive this guy is going to outperform Matthews this year? Barring injury, I would be shocked if that happened. Dude might not even displace Huff at this point.

It is absolutely within the realm of possibility.

Agholor is very polished and comes from a system with a lot of similar concepts. And as was noted, where he will play on the field is more advantageous.

However, supposedly the early word is that he is not quite as far along as Matthews was last year at this team. So, in total, I agree that it is probably more likely that Matthews' total numbers are better. It would not surprise me if Agholor's numbers in the last 6-8 games are better, though.

Do people here really beleive this guy is going to outperform Matthews this year? Barring injury, I would be shocked if that happened. Dude might not even displace Huff at this point.

That isn't the point. Agholor does not need to outscore Matthews to be worth his ADP in the league you are drafting. He will beat Huff as he is already getting first team reps.

Edited by Fantasysports1

That isn't the point. He will beat Huff as he is already getting first team reps.
Huff didn't practice yesterday. He hasn't gotten 1st team reps over Huff yet. I think he will pass Huff, but I'm not sure when.

Just going off memory, but Bradford didn't target the slot too often in STL. The only relevance that Matthews had was when Sanchez took over and went through the middle A LOT. If Agholor can be on the outside at the start of the season I think he does outperform Matthews.

As for the redzone question, he might be a little slight for him to be super effective down there, but weirder things have happened. He does high point well and fights for the ball so I wouldn't rule it out.

That isn't the point. He will beat Huff as he is already getting first team reps.
Huff didn't practice yesterday. He hasn't gotten 1st team reps over Huff yet. I think he will pass Huff, but I'm not sure when.

I feel like it'll be Huff and Agholor both starting on the outside, with Cooper the odd man out - might not be till next year we see that though.

Both Huff and Agholor are going to need to be solid blockers in the run game to be on the field in Chip Kelly's offense. I assume Huff is good there since he played at Oregon. I'm unclear on Agholor's blocking skills, and I've heard that is the biggest reason Cooper still has a job in Philly. I sure would love to see Agholor take over the Maclin role, post big numbers, and make Matthews overvalued in the process. I really can't see drafting Matthews when he is going to be playing the slot. Truth is this might be a whack-a-mole situation at WR in Philly. Perhaps Murray, R Mathews or Bradford are the only real plays here.

I feel like it'll be Huff and Agholor both starting on the outside, with Cooper the odd man out - might not be till next year we see that though.

this.

I don't know how many 3 WR sets will be used but Kelly's go-go offense makes it seem like it doesn't matter. There will be expected WR rotation. Huff will get his opportunities with Riley seen as less a playmaker.

They are moving Matthews around the formation this camp. Last year as a rookie he played the slot to accomodate Maclin and Cooper. You think they're gonna take him off the field when they go 2 wide this year to accomodate Agholor and Huff? I'm not buying that. Agholor looks like a decent prospect, but he's still a rookie and it's been Matthews that's been dominating camp so far. But keep thinking he's "just a slot guy." We'll see who gets the majority of snaps come week 1.

They are moving Matthews around the formation this camp. Last year as a rookie he played the slot to accomodate Maclin and Cooper. You think they're gonna take him off the field when they go 2 wide this year to accomodate Agholor and Huff? I'm not buying that. Agholor looks like a decent prospect, but he's still a rookie and it's been Matthews that's been dominating camp so far. But keep thinking he's "just a slot guy." We'll see who gets the majority of snaps come week 1.

no rational observer thinks matthews is getting upended in favor of another WR now. he's their #1 for sure and his versatility is a strength. he's going to get moved around to get a mismatch going somehow for the offense. Nelson is fighting with Huff for opportunities it looks like. i fully expect a rotation to be used with those 3 but Matthews will get the bulk.

Forget Adams. What the hell was that corner doing? :lmao:

That play's a hospital ball against most competent NFL defenders.

CB didn't think Agholor was catching it and went for the pick.

Great range and acceleration on that play.

Rotoworld:

Eagles first-round WR Nelson Agholor caught three passes for 57 yards and one touchdown in Sunday's preseason opener.

Agholor didn't get the start, but mixed in with the ones and played primarily with the twos. It was an up-and-down day for the 20th overall pick highlighted by a 34-yard touchdown and lowlighted by a drop and another pass that could've been caught. On his touchdown, Agholor leaped to reel in a bad Mark Sanchez pass near the line of scrimmage and showed off his acceleration getting upfield and into the end zone. It's worth mentioning Agholor didn't have drop issues at USC.
Aug 16 - 3:11 PM

Agholor strikes me as a Marvin Harrison/Isaac Bruce type both in body build and route running.

He actually reminds me of a young T.O...subpar hands, but explosive after the catch and not afraid to get physical.

Edited by TripItUp

Agholor strikes me as a Marvin Harrison/Isaac Bruce type both in body build and route running.

He actually reminds me of a young T.O...subpar hands, but explosive after the catch and not afraid to get physical.

It was mentioned up thread that drops weren't a problem for him in college. For now, I'd just chalk up the couple of drops to rookie jitters. We'll have to see if it becomes an issue over the next 2 preseason games.

It was mentioned up thread that drops weren't a problem for him in college. For now, I'd just chalk up the couple of drops to rookie jitters. We'll have to see if it becomes an issue over the next 2 preseason games.

Agreed, I'd seen him quite a bit at USC and I didn't recall any drops.

In the inter-squad practice being run between the Eagles and Ravens. Reports indicated that Agholor is continuing to build on his impressice preseason performance.

-----------------------------------

TURRON DAVENPORT@TDavenport_NFL 2m2 minutes ago

Nelson Agholor is a pleasure to watch in one on ones. Ravens CBs are having a tough time jamming the rookie WR

Which, granted, is on the QB and not NA. He did the best possible with a bad choice and a bad throw, which is all you can ask of the guy. :thumbup:

Agree, but it doesn't really tell you much about Agholor. NFL defenders aren't going to make those kinds of mistakes very often.

TURRON DAVENPORT@TDavenport_NFL 19m19 minutes ago

TURRON DAVENPORT retweeted Check The Scoreboard

Agholor is impossible to slow down at the line. Catches ball well and converts to RB or returner quickly. YAC city.

>>>> Check The Scoreboard@checktheSB 30m30 minutes ago

@TDavenport_NFL who has impressed you the most thus far Matthews or Agholor? Has any other wr stuck out?

Just going off memory, but Bradford didn't target the slot too often in STL.

Strike this memory from thy brain!

When both he and Bradford were healthy, Amendola led the Rams in targets out of the slot by a healthy margin each year, playing mostly out of the slot. Including some truly monster target games, the highlight being the 16 target, 15 catch game against WAS in 2012. Certainly, no other target during Sam's time in STL was nearly as huge a favorite.

A refresher.

Edited by Freelove
  • Like 1

TURRON DAVENPORT@TDavenport_NFL 19m19 minutes ago

TURRON DAVENPORT retweeted Check The Scoreboard

Agholor is impossible to slow down at the line. Catches ball well and converts to RB or returner quickly. YAC city.

>>>> Check The Scoreboard@checktheSB 30m30 minutes ago

@TDavenport_NFL who has impressed you the most thus far Matthews or Agholor? Has any other wr stuck out?

Like I said, "a young T.O."

Rotoworld:

The Philadelphia Inquirer said the "expectation" is rookie Nelson Agholor will be the "second-most productive receiver on the team."

The most productive will be Jordan Matthews, around whom observers of the team believe the passing offense will be built. Though he is not officially starting yet, Agholor has a higher ceiling than Riley Cooper and Josh Huff. He should pass both on the depth chart soon enough, and he is a good bet to finish the year with the second-most targets on the team.

Source: Philadelphia Inquirer & Daily News

Aug 27 - 8:46 AM

Rotoworld:

Nelson Agholor had two catches for 11 yards in the Eagles' third preseason game.

Agholor started over Josh Huff in two-wide sets. He was targeted four times, but didn't make an impact with the first-team offense. Agholor is worth targeting as a high-upside WR3. Jordan Matthews is locked in as the Eagles' top receiver.

Aug 29 - 10:40 PM

Rotoworld:

Nelson Agholor had two catches for 11 yards in the Eagles' third preseason game.

Agholor started over Josh Huff in two-wide sets. He was targeted four times, but didn't make an impact with the first-team offense. Agholor is worth targeting as a high-upside WR3. Jordan Matthews is locked in as the Eagles' top receiver.

Aug 29 - 10:40 PM

He didn't "start OVER Josh Huff". He started in place of Huff because Huff missed several days of practice after the death of his close friend/god brother.

If Agholor gets on the field this year I'd take a 50/50 bet that it's at Cooper's expense and not Huff's.

Rotoworld could have been more clearer, but it's Rotoworld.

Still, Agholor is more talented than Huff, but in that offense they will rotate their WRs prob more than any coach has in recent memory. Throw in improved TE3 Trey Burton, and you have a fantasy nightmare for fantasy players.

• Faust changed the title to Dynasty & Redraft: WR Nelson Agholor, Patriots