What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

WR Nelson Agholor, BAL (1 Viewer)

Just picked this guy up off the waiver wire for peanuts in a dynasty league. :thumbup:
Its amazing to me the instant gratification mentality, especially in dynasty. This guy was a 1st round rookie pick and already on the waiver wire? Unbelievable. Plays a few games, gets injured and off to waivers.
In redraft understandable. In dynasty that's inexcusable.
Especially when you consider Bradford is his QB. He's in the right offense, he's getting the snaps. It's the QB that's screwing him up.
He's been hurt the last 4 games too. Early it was Bradford horrible play. Now he just isn't on the field. I think he plays this week.
He was a full participant in today's practice.

Any thoughts on this guy's dynasty outlook? Obviously a down year, but do you think it's more due to injury and QB play, or is he just not getting open?

I wouldn't sell, but I wouldn't buy unless it was for at most an early 2nd. I'll give him a mulligan for this season with all of Philly's dysfunction.

The Philadelphia Inquirer expects Nelson Agholor to remain a starter.
Agholor disappointed with a 23/283/1 line as a rookie, but started 12-of-13 games when healthy. With Jordan Matthews playing inside, Agholor was mostly matched up against No. 1 corners. Agholor should open this season behind Matthews and Zach Ertz for targets, but is a second-year leap candidate.

Source: Philadelphia Inquirer & Daily News 
Mar 19 - 7:27 PM

I havent seen much on this here guy.  I will have a roster crunch sooner than later so have the following offer out.

Latimer, artis payne, amaro, 2.6 for agholor.   The three aforementioned players face long odds of making my 2016 team.  Thoughts on this potential deal?

Four quarters do not a dollar make.  ,You're giving nothing of value for what was a mid first pick last year.  No one's going to bite.

I'm not particularly high on Nelson at all but I still don't like that trade offer.  Looks like a quantity over quality "bunch of spare parts" offer and I would reject it as a Nelson owner if I were one (I am not).

I havent seen much on this here guy.  I will have a roster crunch sooner than later so have the following offer out.

Latimer, artis payne, amaro, 2.6 for agholor.   The three aforementioned players face long odds of making my 2016 team.  Thoughts on this potential deal?
Unlike the other posters, I would probably consider this if I was a Aghalor owner.   Latimer and the 2nd alone are close.

According to the Philly Inquirer's Jeff McLane, second-year WR Nelson Agholor has continued to not look "special" at offseason practices.
McLane said he thought Jeremy Maclin and Jordan Matthews stood out as potentially special at their early-career practices. He says the same can't be said for Agholor, who's dropped two balls on consecutive days at minicamp after turning in a poor rookie campaign. The 20th overall pick in last year's draft, Agholor may need a big leap in training camp to nail down a starting job.

Source: Philadelphia Inquirer
Jun 8 - 9:11 PM

Nelson Agholor will open training camp as the Eagles’ No. 2 receiver.
Agholor had nondescript OTAs, but one of the starting outside roles is still his to lose. He’ll obviously need to avoid suspension after his June off-field incident. In Doug Pederson's West Coast attack, Agholor projects as the Eagles' Z receiver with Rueben Randle at X and Jordan Matthews in the slot.

Source: Newark Star-Ledger

Eliot Shorr-Parks of NJ Advanced Media listed Rueben Randle ahead of Nelson Agholor in his latest depth chart projections.
Shorr-Parks previously wrote that Agholor will open camp as the No. 2 wideout, but he isn't convinced it will stay that way. Agholor's rookie year was a total flop and he reportedly dropped too many passes at OTAs. He's also had some off-field drama. Right now, Jordan Matthews is the Eagles' only locked-in starting receiver. In what will likely be a slow-paced, balanced, Sam Bradford-quarterbacked offense under Doug Pederson, the Eagles' No. 2 wideout job figures to struggle for fantasy relevance.

Related: Rueben Randle

Source: NJ Advanced Media
Jul 10 - 12:47 PM

Nelson Agholor - WR -  Eagles

Philly.com reports Nelson Agholor will not be charged with sexual assault.
Agholor was accused by a stripper in June, but police declined to press charges. Now the district attorney's office is also passing up charges after conducting an investigation of its own. Agholor's attorney had maintained public confidence that his client would not be charged. Even in this age of "better safe than sorry" discipline from the NFL, a suspension is highly unlikely. Agholor will enter training camp battling Rueben Randle for No. 2 duties behind Jordan Matthews.

Source: Philly.com 
Jul 14 - 9:42 PM

ESPN Eagles reporter Phil Sheridan expects Nelson Agholor to start opposite Jordan Matthews.
Agholor is coming off a rough rookie season and offseason marred by drops and off-the-field drama. Thankfully for him, his only competition is perennial underachiever Rueben Randle. All three players should see plenty of snaps, but barring a disastrous camp, Agholor should get the first crack at official starting duties.

Source: ESPN.com 
Jul 21 - 2:54 PM

The Philadelphia Inquirer expects Nelson Agholor to open the season as a starter, but says he has "not stood out."
Reporter Jeff McLane believes Agholor has earned his starting gig by default. Perennial disappointment Rueben Randle has failed to apply any pressure, and Chris Givens is a one-trick pony deep threat. In theory, Agholor offered some post-hype sleeper appeal as a second-year first-rounder, but that's not looking like it will be the case.

Aug 15 - 2:20 PM

nothing to see here, just another failed USC WR... 
Marquis Lee is starting to show a little something, so maybe it's just USC is THAT far behind other programs when it comes to education for athletes and learning curve.  Lee (or Agholor) are not as good as hyped up to be but if there is consistency in something, then the root is the issue, not the person.  Just saying.  I doubt Agholor makes it as anything more than a WR3 on an NFL team at this point though.

According to the Philadelphia Inquirer's Jeff McLane, 2015 first-rounder Nelson Agholor has "struggled to catch balls, create separation, and run consistent routes" at Eagles camp.
Last year's 20th overall pick, Agholor is making no noise this summer and has been put on notice following the Eagles' trade for Dorial Green-Beckham. McLane also notes Agholor was a Chip Kelly selection, suggesting GM Howie Roseman wasn't on board with the pick. If Agholor wasn't guaranteed his salary, he'd probably be on the roster bubble. The Eagles are setting themselves up to roll with Jordan Matthews and DGB for years to come at the receiver spot.

Aug 17 - 9:58 AM

Eagles coach Doug Pederson said Nelson Agholor "really stood out" this week in practice.
The comments were unprompted, suggesting Agholor's performance was good enough to be at the front of Pederson's mind. A good week of practice is certainly a positive sign, but Agholor needs to build on it with a strong showing Saturday against the Colts.

Source: ESPN 
Aug 27 - 10:24 AM

Sabertooth said:
I think I'm zigging where most people are zagging on him.  I'm buying.  
I bought everywhere through the offseason because I was one of his firm believers when he came out.  Now I'm not so sure that was a good idea.  Haven't seen him in preseason yet though.

I bought everywhere through the offseason because I was one of his firm believers when he came out.  Now I'm not so sure that was a good idea.  Haven't seen him in preseason yet though.
One series into the 3rd Q and the Eagles have put up 24 points. Offense looking sharp with one exception - Agholor.  He had a bad drop which led to an INT which is what accounted for Indy's 3 pts. early in the 1st Q.  Haven't heard Agholor's name since.  Not a good sign.

I'm a huge believer in draft pedigree. He was a first rounder so that tells me he has some modicum of talent.  I don't put too much weight on preseason either.  He's 23 years old.  

I'm a huge believer in draft pedigree. He was a first rounder so that tells me he has some modicum of talent.  I don't put too much weight on preseason either.  He's 23 years old.  
Yeah he's got draft pedigree being a first round pick, but Chip Kelly also drafted Marcus Smith (LB) in the first round too.  I keep hoping Agholor will put it together and he's shown flashes.  He made 1 nice catch last week followed by a drop and now tonight he's only had the one target (I think) and another bad drop.  He's being out-played tonight by Josh Huff.  That shouldn't happen.

Alright boys....whats your projections for him now? He has his best QB to date and only 23 years old. Could he BUST OUT?  Give you thoughts on why or why not?

He's still a big question mark at this point in his career.  It's early but he's starting to have the makings of a bust.  On the other hand he has all the pieces to absolutely blow up.  A starting job in an offense with a young QB who looks like the real deal so far.  Someone dropped him way too early in my dynasty league so I picked him up and will hold on to him as long as I don't need the spot (at least until his NFL future is a bit clearer).  But if I were betting I'd bet on bust.

In the age where rookies can bust in 1.5 years if they aren't getting 800+ yards a season in year 1 I suppose you could call him a bust.  It wasn't that long ago where a trajectory of 283 yards in year 1, then (extrapolated) 640 yards in year 2 would yield a 900+ yards player in year 3.

In 2015 that would have been just behind #32 Michael Crabtree (922) and just above James Jones (890).

Maybe he was drafted to be someone's #2 but that's low-end WR3 after three years with additional room to grow to me.  Then again I'm a buy and hold player.

In the age where rookies can bust in 1.5 years if they aren't getting 800+ yards a season in year 1 I suppose you could call him a bust.  It wasn't that long ago where a trajectory of 283 yards in year 1, then (extrapolated) 640 yards in year 2 would yield a 900+ yards player in year 3.

In 2015 that would have been just behind #32 Michael Crabtree (922) and just above James Jones (890).

Maybe he was drafted to be someone's #2 but that's low-end WR3 after three years with additional room to grow to me.  Then again I'm a buy and hold player.
He looks like a straight-up bum out there. But then again, so did Davante Adams last year. And look at him now...

Daniel Jeremiah tweeted something about Nelson maybe yesterday. Something about how his route running, speed are there still but he's lost confidence in his hands. it's pretty easily to get a case of the yips when you're a young player and an Eagle.

He looks like a straight-up bum out there. But then again, so did Davante Adams last year. And look at him now...
Again, he's a young player that certainly has let his mind get to himself.  I'm not going to say he's going to suddenly break out nor am I expecting it, but he's still getting over the hump as a player in the NFL.  Does everyone really think lack of talent is the reason he's dropping all of those passes?  

For me this is a low cost situation and I'm fine holding into next season to see if he figures it out.

Again, he's a young player that certainly has let his mind get to himself.  I'm not going to say he's going to suddenly break out nor am I expecting it, but he's still getting over the hump as a player in the NFL.  Does everyone really think lack of talent is the reason he's dropping all of those passes?  

For me this is a low cost situation and I'm fine holding into next season to see if he figures it out.
Some guys are great athletes who lack the requisite skills for their position, mentally or physically. It certainly looks like he's just not a good pass-catcher. 

Some guys are great athletes who lack the requisite skills for their position, mentally or physically. It certainly looks like he's just not a good pass-catcher
That's simply not what he showed in college.  I realize this is at a different level, but the tape showed he had a more difficult time separating without pre-snap movement and perhaps a lack of "toughness".  He had good hands otherwise.  I'm not really a huge believer in pedigree but to go from "good hands" to "bad hands" doesn't indicate eroding skill at this age.  It means he's mentally struggling.

I'm happy to agree to disagree on this one.  I'm not saying I'm 100% right, but the data isn't suggesting what you're suggesting IMO.

Nelson Agholor said being benched Monday night against the Packers was eye opening.
"Some of the things that really stuck out to me was realizing a game that I love, I didn't get a chance to play," Agholor said. "The fact that I didn't get to play that day was an eye opener." Agholor did not seem to get it when he said his drops did not matter and basically blamed the media for focusing on his shortcomings earlier this season, but perhaps the last couple weeks have gotten him to a better place. It is not clear if Agholor will play this week against the Bengals, but he should return to the lineup soon.

I still believe this guy is super talented, he needed to mature and get accustomed to the NFL and maybe that just took longer than we hoped for.  Maybe the new thing is USC WRs don't bust but they take longer to acclimate than we want.  Anyways this is his chance to audition for another team cause I highly doubt the Eagles keep him if he does manage to do well.

I still believe this guy is super talented, he needed to mature and get accustomed to the NFL and maybe that just took longer than we hoped for.  Maybe the new thing is USC WRs don't bust but they take longer to acclimate than we want.  Anyways this is his chance to audition for another team cause I highly doubt the Eagles keep him if he does manage to do well.
This seems a curious thing to say.  Jeffrey is on a one year deal and Torrey Smith has no guaranteed money after this year (and only $500k until the start of the season).  Meanwhile, Algohor has two years (2017 and 2018) on his cheap rookie deal.  If he does well why wouldn't they keep him and move on from either Smith's $5M salary, Jeffrey's approximately $14M salary, or both?

Users who are viewing this thread