What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

WR Nelson Agholor, BAL (1 Viewer)

I enjoyed his performance, and as a Wentz owner in one league I certainly hope it continues.

that said,  I have a very hard time believing Nelson suddenly knows what to do with those oven mitts on his hands.

I'm also unconvinced that he will see 8 targets in a game again this season.

the TD was awesome, and accounted for most of his yardage. I'm not going to say "take away that TD and..." but that TD was because of a ridiculous play by Wentz, slipping a tackle, evading another one and scrambling - something that 95/100 times would be a sack.  

Can't help but feel like this is the "fool's gold" add of the week. 

But if you've got someone droppable, no harm in taking a flier. 
If I get him, I'm gonna trade him. No doubt.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PLjU4yYNI_4

Here's a video of his touches.

Watched the game, and thought he looked good. Wentz looked comfortable with him, and went to him on third downs often. They're moving him around. Wentz threw deep another time but under threw him (not that he was really open).

Also, if Wentz throws a better ball at 1:40 Nelson gets a surefire second touchdown.

I like what I see and glad I got to scoop him.

Last edited by a moderator:
He still looked a little shaky, bobbling a screen and whiffing on what I thought should've been an easy catch but man does his quickness jump off the screen. It looks to me like PHI is making a concerted effort to get him involved which I think is evidenced by the fact that he saw 8 targets on only 62% of the snaps. It could be an outlier but I'd be willing to grab and hold to see if it becomes a trend.

He still looked a little shaky, bobbling a screen and whiffing on what I thought should've been an easy catch but man does his quickness jump off the screen. It looks to me like PHI is making a concerted effort to get him involved which I think is evidenced by the fact that he saw 8 targets on only 62% of the snaps. It could be an outlier but I'd be willing to grab and hold to see if it becomes a trend.
I think that's the right approach.

i didn't have anyone I'd want to drop for him but if you've got the roster space he's worthy of a speculative flier. 

I'd probably leave him on the bench too - watch his usage. 

If he continues to be targeted at that pace, and if he continues to make use of those things at the ends of his arms, he could turn into a nice surprise. 

I'm responding to you but not calling you out on it specifically, but it keeps being bought up that one "broken" play accounted for 58 yards and a TD, otherwise he would have had a mediocre game. Admittedly sure that play was not typical, but Agholor did exactly what a WR is supposed to do when his QB is scrambling around, continue to fight to get open and present a target. He also showed some ability after the catch to make it into the endzone instead of just getting a 40 something yard catch.
He also had another screen where Wentz didn't throw the best ball, but as he was moving he was able to tip it and watch it and bring it in.  It was the kind of move that had a certain confidence to where he was in space.  He also had at least one drop later, so he's not perfect, but based on this game, he seems to have gotten over a lot of the timidness.

He also had another screen where Wentz didn't throw the best ball, but as he was moving he was able to tip it and watch it and bring it in.  It was the kind of move that had a certain confidence to where he was in space.  He also had at least one drop later, so he's not perfect, but based on this game, he seems to have gotten over a lot of the timidness.
Not sure if we are talking about the same play, but this is what I was referring to:  https://youtu.be/PLjU4yYNI_4?t=97

Just not sure that he could have made that play all around last year.

Yea that was a bad pass by Wentz and Torrey Smith completely whiffed on the block. So yea he could have made a circus catch for a 2 yard loss but I'm not going to blame him for that one.
yeah, not sure what anyone could have expected him to do with that.

There were two bobbled screens. The one you're referring to and the one that turned into a backwards pass where he tipped it up for WAS.
Yea that was a bad pass by Wentz and Torrey Smith completely whiffed on the block. So yea he could have made a circus catch for a 2 yard loss but I'm not going to blame him for that one.
I heard a beat writer (forget who) on 97.5 talking about this play.  No idea where he got his info but supposedly Wentz made 2 mistakes on this play and Agholor made one: it was a run/pass option and it should have been run based on the look they got.  Agholor went too deep (causing it be a backwards pass) and then Wentz made a poor throw.

Hopefully they just tear that page out of the playbook.

I think this guy is on the verge of being really good. Last night was the first time I have watched him intently this season and he impressed me a lot. Jeffery is going to get a lot of the other teams top corners so he will be up and down, however I think Nelson Agholor is matchup proof playing in the slot. He looks extremely explosive. He already has had a good fantasy year and I don't think that is any fluke. I actually wouldn't be surprised if he is a solid WR2 the rest of the season and perhaps even border on WR1. I think he is a great buy low candidate ROS because he isn't getting much respect in fantasy circles yet.

I don't own Agholor in any leagues but I will be targeting him heavily in trades this week.  I actually was playing against him this week.

Just a side note, on that last play the Eagles ran where Wentz threw to Ertz incomplete, Romo was talking about how Jeffery was an easier throw at the top of the screen. But that is not what Wentz was mad about. On that same play, Agholor was completely uncovered. I swear if he threw to him there it was going for a 81 yard TD. I think Wentz is going to throw to Nelson more and more each week.  

Hard to completely trust him just yet, but he's finally starting to NOT look like the bust he was last year. Definately flex/bye worthy at this point and seems to have upside from there

Agholor looks like the Eagles' most dynamic/explosive playmaker. If confidence and mental issues were his problems, this string of solid production will be extremely beneficial for him

I've been starting him for 3 weeks now  :shrug:

He's looked pretty good.  Only caution to the wind is he doesn't get a ton of targets and semi-touch down dependent.  Been waiting for these types of games for 2 years.

So do the Eagles exercise Agholar's 5th year option now?   Would have been an easy "no" 6 months ago - will be curious to see.  I'm assuming Torrey Smith is gone, and Mack Hollins takes his place...so that role Agholar filled is still needed.

So do the Eagles exercise Agholar's 5th year option now?   Would have been an easy "no" 6 months ago - will be curious to see.  I'm assuming Torrey Smith is gone, and Mack Hollins takes his place...so that role Agholar filled is still needed.
Seems like an easy decision.  He's not a top 10 guy so it's only what, $8M?  They have a franchise QB on a rookie deal, a franchise winning QB at $7M cap number, and are coming off a Super Bowl win.  The bulk of their roster is signed for the next couple of years, Nigel Bradham and Trey Burton next year, Brandon Graham, Darby, and Ajayi the year after.

8 for 33 :lmao: :lmao:  

Gotta like the usage I guess.  He will still be used as an option in the redzone although Goedert may have something to say about that.

8 for 33 :lmao: :lmao:  

Gotta like the usage I guess.  He will still be used as an option in the redzone although Goedert may have something to say about that.
The targets will always be there.  PPR he's a decent WR3/flex play most weeks I'd say.  This game was just pure ugly.  Atlanta defense is pretty good, and he was the only one that seemed to get Foles' trust when he needed to throw (thanks Ertz for dropping 3 passes).  I view this as a positive for him, and with other weapons eventually doing something, as well as when the QB is actually worthy of being called a QB (Wentz) he'll be more efficient with those targets.  

Last night's line for Aghlor is the perfect argument against the PPR format.

THAT receiving performance is worth 11 points? Terrible.

Yes, I play in PPR but that line deserves negative points and a football to the groin.
The thing is, performances like last night were what people were expecting from him. If an owner expected high volume (with limited yardage upside) from him and made it his strategy to go RB heavy early then target guys like Aghlor/Crowder around rounds 7/8, then kudos to them. Their team likely looks good and everyone had the chance to do the same thing. It rewards people who chase volume, which is more predictable than if someone were to fall into the end zone every couple games, which is a key determining factor in standard scoring. 

I wish I had more teams with Agholor and applaud those that were able to recognize his expanding role. 

Agree with all the replies.  Its ridiculous and beautiful at the same time.

My argument against him being a one trick pony though is that he led the team in redzone targets last year.  I'm a happy owner, just a silly first game stat line.

exactly! Which is why he deserves negative points and a football to the groin for that performance.
I’m confused, what was wrong with his performance?  He caught 8 of his 10 targets.  On one of the targets he didn’t catch, he was open downfield and foles took too long to get rid of it and it was nearly picked. His catches were very shallow routes and Foles telegraphed quite a few so he really didn’t have room to make a play.  He also had a great run that almost went for six and of course the throw.  This kid has talent and opportunity that ff’ers seem to be slow to recognize.

Still confused.  Sure, 4 ypr is almost unheard of.  Why does it reflect badly on Nelson, in this case?
It reflects badly on the idea of PPR. It's a #### stat line any way you look at it but we give him roughly 11 points for that #### stat line.

Therefore football to the groin.

Still confused.  Sure, 4 ypr is almost unheard of.  Why does it reflect badly on Nelson, in this case?
Yea, that's a reflection of usage, not a knock on Nelson.  Means he was used on a lot of short passes - they're trying to give short easy throws for Foles to hit.  Expect his YPR to go up when Wentz is back.  Might be week 8 though

Users who are viewing this thread