What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

DIY Projects - Laminate Countertops (1 Viewer)

Jayrok

Footballguy
Small bathroom remodel project. Going to relaminate a double sink countertop and raise it a couple of inches. 67.5" x 23" surface. Then add a tile backsplash.

I've removed both sinks and old laminate and have purchased new laminate and other materials for the project. The countertop is a 3/4" plywood glued/nailed onto a base. The two sink holes are already cut into the plywood and I will sand the top good before installing new laminate sheet.

Question: Would you precut the holes into the laminate sheet using the old (removed old laminate) as a template before gluing down onto the top? Or, would you glue down the new laminate sheet and then cut the circles for the sink using a router or similar tool?

The downside to precutting the holes in the laminate is that it could be more difficult to get the laminate onto the glued plywood since it would be more flimsy with the holes cut. Note that the length edge of the laminate is 67.5" and width 23" so there will be just a few inches of laminate between the sink hole and the length edge of the laminate. I'd hate for it to break during handling after cutting the hole.

It seems if I lay the laminate first and then route out the sink hole it might be a better idea.

I was hoping for thoughts of someone who has experience in this type of project. Thanks!

Small bathroom remodel project. Going to relaminate a double sink countertop and raise it a couple of inches. 67.5" x 23" surface. Then add a tile backsplash.

I've removed both sinks and old laminate and have purchased new laminate and other materials for the project. The countertop is a 3/4" plywood glued/nailed onto a base. The two sink holes are already cut into the plywood and I will sand the top good before installing new laminate sheet.

Question: Would you precut the holes into the laminate sheet using the old (removed old laminate) as a template before gluing down onto the top? Or, would you glue down the new laminate sheet and then cut the circles for the sink using a router or similar tool?

The downside to precutting the holes in the laminate is that it could be more difficult to get the laminate onto the glued plywood since it would be more flimsy with the holes cut. Note that the length edge of the laminate is 67.5" and width 23" so there will be just a few inches of laminate between the sink hole and the length edge of the laminate. I'd hate for it to break during handling after cutting the hole.

It seems if I lay the laminate first and then route out the sink hole it might be a better idea.

I was hoping for thoughts of someone who has experience in this type of project. Thanks!
Cut the holes after. You can use a router with a laminate bit and it works great. Just drill your pilot hole in the middle of the cutout and work your way toward the edge of where the sink is going to go.

3M makes a spray on adhesive that works great for this. But once the laminate is down, it's down. So be careful and take your time.

See here.

Last edited by a moderator:

Cut the holes after. You can use a router with a laminate bit and it works great. Just drill your pilot hole in the middle of the cutout and work your way toward the edge of where the sink is going to go.

3M makes a spray on adhesive that works great for this. But once the laminate is down, it's down. So be careful and take your time.

See here.
Awesome, thanks!

See here.
This is correct. There is zero advantage to pre-cutting the holes and routing them out afterwards is as easy as it gets.

Users who are viewing this thread