Jump to content
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Another killing at the hands of the Police


In The Zone

Recommended Posts

47 minutes ago, SaintsInDome2006 said:

I apologize in advance because I’m uninformed guy here - what’s the story with the events surrounding the death? I know Flyd was wanted for passing a $20 counterfeit bill. Did he struggle or fight at all during the course of the arrest? Was he arrested on the spot where he tried to pass the bill or was he tracked down later? Frankly the video and the aftermath have been so disturbing I’ve largely avoided the details of it. Anyway, TIA.

This WP article has a good reconstruction video using the footage available from security cams, body cams, cellphones, etc. 

The death of George Floyd: What video and other records show about his final minutes: https://www.washingtonpost.com/nation/2020/05/30/video-timeline-george-floyd-death/?arc404=true

I'm pretty sure they are giving free access due to Covid-19, but If you (or anyone else) can't view it let me know and I'll try to post just the video itself.

  • Thanks 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

This is ####ed up
 

https://mobile.twitter.com/AsiaJannelll/status/1266626927885873152

Asia

@AsiaJannelll

I was at Downtown Oakland protests a little while ago. Let me say something; the people breaking glass, breaking into windows & starting fires were WHITE men wearing all black. They had hammers and walkie talkies. They were organized. BLM protestors did not start the violence!

  • Like 1
  • Thinking 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, giantcookie said:

dishonest media will try to spin it as white nationalists, but its antifa.

Does it make a difference? 

Right wing extremists, left wing extremists- it’s the extremist part that’s the bad part. That’s the part that’s ####### things up. Right or left doesn’t matter. 

  • Like 4
  • Love 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

It was linked early on in the thread, but this video of a guy ("the penguin") breaking out the windows of the AutoZone across the street from the police precinct that burned down (on Wednesday before any looting started) should be seen if you haven't done so already: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-evjkVfJ7HY

There was speculation early on that the guy was MPD, but I think we would have heard more about it by now if that were the case. ANTIFA seems at least worthy of discussion given what we know now.

My first exposure to ANTIFA came after Charlottesville when I heard them described as anti-Nazi. I fully support that idea of course, but a year or so later when they assaulted journalist Andy Ngo and a bunch of other people (there's a thread about it somewhere, but here's a link: https://reason.com/2019/06/29/antifa-andy-ngo-mob-milkshake-violence/) my support dropped to zero. I'm not a fan of Mr. Ng, but violence like that is totally unacceptable, no matter what the "cause". 

I'm not a fan of the Democratic Party, but I'm a fairly staunch lefty and have been vociferous and adamant about "my side" not adopting the same tactics of those I oppose. You could see a lot of mis/disinformation tactics being used during the Democratic primary which was really disheartening but totally predictable. "The end justifies the means" is the slipperiest of slopes and how we ended up with Trump. If the left adopts the same ideology then the distinction becomes meaningless in my opinion and I'm out.

Edited by Stuart_Little
Ngo not Ng
Link to comment
Share on other sites

24 minutes ago, Stuart_Little said:

This WP article has a good reconstruction video using the footage available from security cams, body cams, cellphones, etc. 

The death of George Floyd: What video and other records show about his final minutes: https://www.washingtonpost.com/nation/2020/05/30/video-timeline-george-floyd-death/?arc404=true

I'm pretty sure they are giving free access due to Covid-19, but If you (or anyone else) can't view it let me know and I'll try to post just the video itself.

Thank you, I got it.

This is really thorough. It's really strange. The POs on duty who answered the call seemed to have it under control. They arrested Floyd, put him in the back seat and I guess they were investigating at the store. There was already a second car with 2 more cops, 2 cars, 4 cops altogether on scene. Then Chauvin and his partner show up. Chauvin takes him out the back seat, on the other, street side, and then pins him. 

  • Love 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

38 minutes ago, Joe Bryant said:

how does anything change if people stay silent?

 

HI JB, 

I never post in the political forum but HT directed me here and I just want to say I agree with a lot of what you posted but I wanted to zero in on this one sentence. 

That's the question I keep asking whenever people seem outraged about the looting and not the officer or the continued cycle. This is not the first time we've seen this, right? There was one summer back in the last Administration where we had an entire summer of violence. I vividly remember Dallas and watching men with assault rifles shooting at police but this is different. I agree with your assessment of the police here, nobody can watch that video and not throw up and want to see the immediate arrest of all 4 of those officers. In fact it goes deeper than that, how come nobody could step in during those 7 minutes?

I would like to say some things about the local government there in Minneapolis but again that would just fuel the flames and upset a lot of posters in here so out of respect I will stop right here. I'd love to hear what you think should be happening right now in Minneapolis because IMO the sounds I am hearing from those leaders today feels more like a showdown tonight. I hope I'm wrong and I hope sounder minds prevail tonight but I don't for one second think that the violent backlash should be so shocking to folks. If you can't get past the looting, you have no heart IMHO. 

I think I'll end on that,

Cheers Everyone and please be safe in those larger Metro Areas, you're in real danger. 

Edited by Ministry of Pain
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, timschochet said:

Does it make a difference? 

Right wing extremists, left wing extremists- it’s the extremist part that’s the bad part. That’s the part that’s ####### things up. Right or left doesn’t matter. 

Right. Extremists on both sides are the problem.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, timschochet said:

Does it make a difference? 

Right wing extremists, left wing extremists- it’s the extremist part that’s the bad part. That’s the part that’s ####### things up. Right or left doesn’t matter. 

it matters because CNN has given them fluff pieces in the past, and said nothing critical while they reigned terror upon Trump supporters.

Edited by giantcookie
  • Thanks 1
  • Laughing 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, Ministry of Pain said:

HI JB, 

I never post in the political forum but HT directed me here and I just want to say I agree with a lot of what you posted but I wanted to zero in on this one sentence. 

That's the question I keep asking whenever people seem outraged about the looting and not the officer or the continued cycle. This is not the first time we've seen this, right? There was one summer back in the last Administration where we had an entire summer of violence. I vividly remember Dallas and watching men with assault rifles shooting at police but this is different. I agree with your assessment of the police here, nobody can watch that video and not throw up and want to see the immediate arrest of all 4 of those officers. In fact it goes deeper than that, how come nobody could step in during those 7 minutes?

I would like to say some things about the local government there in Minneapolis but again that would just fuel the flames and upset a lot of posters in here so out of respect I will stop right here. I'd love to hear what you think should be happening right now in Minneapolis because IMO the sounds I am hearing from those leaders today feels more like a showdown tonight. I hope I'm wrong and I hope sounder minds prevail tonight but I don't for one second think that the violent backlash should be so shocking to White folks. If you can't get past the looting, you have no heart IMHO. 

I think I'll end on that,

Cheers Everyone and please be safe in those larger Metro Areas, you're in real danger. 

Thanks. Not sure what you're asking me. But I absolutely don't want violence in a response. I dont want a "showdown". I understand the violence and anger. I understand how people do things that seem irrational when they're at the end of their rope or they feel like they don't have hope. But my hope is we can have change without violence. 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I haven't watched CNN since I was overseas years ago, but demonization of them by the right is ridiculous. I'd agree that commercialized media in general sucks and is overly sensational because that's what gets eyeballs/clicks, but they have nowhere near the same size audience and influence of, say Fox News, nor have they adopted blatant disinformation and conspiracy theorizing as a business model. It's not even debatable, but if anyone wants to out themselves as being grossly misinformed knock yourself out but let's do it in another thread.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, tonydead said:

Good posting. Where are the posts saying no one cares?  Good grief.  

I said "some".

It's my opinion some people don't really care that much. It doesn't affect them. 

Tony Campolo originally used this in the situation of children starving. He said "30,000 kids died in the world yesterday from malnutrition. And some of you don't really care".

They care some. Just not enough to do anything really. That's how I see this for some people I know. That's why I said, "For some of my friends..."

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Joe Bryant said:

I said "some".

It's my opinion some people don't really care that much. It doesn't affect them. 

Tony Campolo originally used this in the situation of children starving. He said "30,000 kids died in the world yesterday from malnutrition. And some of you don't really care".

They care some. Just not enough to do anything really. That's how I see this for some people I know. That's why I said, "For some of my friends..."

My bad. I thought when you said you had something to say and posted in this thread “Some of you really dont give a ####” I thought you were speaking to people in this thread.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, SaintsInDome2006 said:

I don't know, but Antifa isn't the only conceivable agent provacateur using just 'whites wearing all black' as a criteria. Far right nationalists, white nationalists and supremacists should also be considered.

Nothing really is off the table but I seriously doubt it would be local law , feds wouldn’t surprise if it was the “good guys” . Even hired guns

Edited by HellToupee
Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, Joe Bryant said:

I said "some".

It's my opinion some people don't really care that much. It doesn't affect them. 

Tony Campolo originally used this in the situation of children starving. He said "30,000 kids died in the world yesterday from malnutrition. And some of you don't really care".

They care some. Just not enough to do anything really. That's how I see this for some people I know. That's why I said, "For some of my friends..."

Is this not the reality of social causes? They compete for mind space and resources and both are limited.

"Some" people may care passionately about one that affects them deeply and directly...but not other causes that to which they aren't as close. Not sure they should be judged harshly for that.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 minutes ago, SaintsInDome2006 said:

This is the story. The headline is different because it was edited after reaction. What's the noble part here in your opinion?

you think if this article was about a far right wing group they would have ended it like this?

Quote

And their methods are often violent. Antifa leaders admit they're willing to physically attack anyone who employs violence against them or who condones racism -- as long as force is used in the name of eradicating hatred.

 

Edited by giantcookie
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Joe Bryant said:

Thanks. Not sure what you're asking me. But I absolutely don't want violence in a response. I dont want a "showdown". I understand the violence and anger. I understand how people do things that seem irrational when they're at the end of their rope or they feel like they don't have hope. But my hope is we can have change without violence. 

 

What I heard today in the last couple of hours were things like "Protest on Social Media" and you don't think change is ever going to come about by staying home, do you? 

-I think people should bust that curfew tonight HOWEVER, it would be better if they marched arm in arm, all races, all parties locked together and just peacefully but loudly march in protest. But what was rolled out today sounded like more of an escalation if you will for the coming evening.  

-I think it's great you as the Owner and Leader to set the pace in here. How about healing this place up? 

It seems obvious at this point that this place has a far larger population of Democrats vs Republicans, don't you see a little of what we're talking about and watching unfold in our major Urban Cities, doesn't some of that happen on a smaller level in here? What would happen if the folks who support the guy in the White House just vanished completely off the boards? You need both sides to have discussions and meaningful debates. 

 

Real Question: Are you anticipating another night of violence? The guy running the show loves TV, tonight is Sat Night, not sure if LIVE PD is running but it wasn't last night. I expect that he will sit back one more night and see how things play out. I would anticipate more eruptions in the bigger cities. 40+Million out of work with nothing but time on their hands. I'm not sure people are truly understanding how stressed out these folks are and this Murder has been the spark on a powder keg of frustration where people are being pitted against each other over things like masks for example. 

Maybe some of my fellow FBGs can cut Joe and the Mods a little slack and not hit the Report Button every 5 seconds, they're human too and probably have had the same crud going on in parts of their lives just like ours. I wish this Board could come together and not argue and fight amongst themselves so much, find the things we have in common more so than all our differences at the moment, that would be one of the better things we could do coming out of all this. 

 

  • Laughing 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Ministry of Pain said:

What I heard today in the last couple of hours were things like "Protest on Social Media" and you don't think change is ever going to come about by staying home, do you? 

-I think people should bust that curfew tonight HOWEVER, it would be better if they marched arm in arm, all races, all parties locked together and just peacefully but loudly march in protest. But what was rolled out today sounded like more of an escalation if you will for the coming evening.  

-I think it's great you as the Owner and Leader to set the pace in here. How about healing this place up? 

It seems obvious at this point that this place has a far larger population of Democrats vs Republicans, don't you see a little of what we're talking about and watching unfold in our major Urban Cities, doesn't some of that happen on a smaller level in here? What would happen if the folks who support the guy in the White House just vanished completely off the boards? You need both sides to have discussions and meaningful debates. 

 

Real Question: Are you anticipating another night of violence? The guy running the show loves TV, tonight is Sat Night, not sure if LIVE PD is running but it wasn't last night. I expect that he will sit back one more night and see how things play out. I would anticipate more eruptions in the bigger cities. 40+Million out of work with nothing but time on their hands. I'm not sure people are truly understanding how stressed out these folks are and this Murder has been the spark on a powder keg of frustration where people are being pitted against each other over things like masks for example. 

Maybe some of my fellow FBGs can cut Joe and the Mods a little slack and not hit the Report Button every 5 seconds, they're human too and probably have had the same crud going on in parts of their lives just like ours. I wish this Board could come together and not argue and fight amongst themselves so much, find the things we have in common more so than all our differences at the moment, that would be one of the better things we could do coming out of all this. 

 

Thanks. I don't really know what to expect tonight. I'm truly not following the news that closely. But I'm always thankful for anyone who wants to cut us some slack. Thank you. 

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 minutes ago, giantcookie said:

you think if this article was about a far right wing group they would have ended it like this?

Yes, if they were paraphrasing them directly as was the case here. That was the position articulated by the Antifa leaders to the writers of the article, it was not an editorial comment by CNN - that they agreed that Antifa was eradicating hatred. Please.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

We’re about a half mile from the nearest (thus far) fires, looting, and riots.  One of my wife’s good friends lives right in the heart of the chaos, and my wife is currently meeting up to deliver some necessities (water, fire extinguishers, etc).  Also bringing l lots of her friend’s keepsakes and valuables back to our place for safe(r) keeping, as their neighborhood is expecting more chaos and potential for residential fires tonight.  She’s also saying there is a staggering amount of vehicles with out of state plates on and around their neighborhood.  I know it’s a delicate line to straddle right now, but time for law enforcement to start laying the smack down on those that are looting and rioting.  

  • Sad 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, squistion said:

Yes, if they were paraphrasing them directly as was the case here. That was the position articulated by the Antifa leaders to the writers of the article, it was not an editorial comment by CNN - that they agreed that Antifa was eradicating hatred. Please.

Why give them a platform to spread their propaganda without any objective criticism to counter it?  Its a fluff piece

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Sam Quentin said:

This is ####ed up
 

https://mobile.twitter.com/AsiaJannelll/status/1266626927885873152

Asia

@AsiaJannelll

I was at Downtown Oakland protests a little while ago. Let me say something; the people breaking glass, breaking into windows & starting fires were WHITE men wearing all black. They had hammers and walkie talkies. They were organized. BLM protestors did not start the violence!

I'd like to see a follow up video. Who are these guys? Where did they go after this? What more did they do? What affiliation do they have, if any? There was a video on Reddit where a person saw someone get out of a cop car, dressed in black, and let him keep walking but went back to his vehicle. Two other cops were in the car. I'm not saying these guys are cops but who are they?

I can't find the video but I think it was like 2:20 long or so.

  • Like 1
  • Love 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Galileo said:

Watching police moving in on a crowd that was vandalizing a couple police cars in Chicago...it's only 4 PM there.  If this is any sign, I fear tonight may be the worst yet around the country.

Yeah I was hoping last night was the peak. Doesn’t look to be the case.  

Edited by shader
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Nashville thus far has been peaceful by the capital building...speakers and chanting.

But heard rumors of people trying to start some crap around town possibly at Opry Mills (yeah, a mall) Hoping that was just rumor and nothing more.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 minutes ago, Galileo said:

Watching police moving in on a crowd that was vandalizing a couple police cars in Chicago...it's only 4 PM there.  If this is any sign, I fear tonight may be the worst yet around the country.

https://twitter.com/brianstelter/status/1266835768737181699

Notice that nearly everyone getting violent in this video is white.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
  • Create New...