What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Another killing at the hands of the Police (10 Viewers)

I wasn’t speaking about that specific video when I said I wasn’t sure if this was the answer. Obviously what they did was disgusting. I am talking about the rioting as a whole. As I said, there was silent kneeling and people had an issue with that. It seems that everything the black community does to try and fix this issue in America, people have a problem with it. Again, I don’t have the answer but I’m smart enough to see there’s a much bigger problem than store owners and their things. If you have an issue with that, I’m okay with that. ✌🏾
Thank you for replying. Apologies for misunderstanding. We’re on the same page and in agreement!

It consistently protects and defends the acts of cops like Chauvin (please no posts of "link to someone defending him for this"...that isn't what I am saying and you all know this)...this wasn't the first time he has been an issue.  The system is broken in that it has led to such interactions still far too often in this country and far too often at the expense of a young black man.  Showing that while we have progressed with race relations, we still have a long long way to go.
ok, so its only when black men are killed or mistreated by white officer, am I right in how I read that? ? that's the problem?

if that's the target of the core problem then removing white officers from black areas IS an answer - I never said it was ideal and in fact I said I didn't like it, but it WOULD stop white officers from being in situations with black citizens right ?

Your answer to that question depends largely on your experiences with the system.

Your experiences with the system depend, largely, on the color of your skin.  That seems like a problem.
a very good answer

and again I say that officers needs to match their neighborhoods - white in white, black in black, brown in brown, yellow in yellow, green in green etc etc

that would solve it one color skinned officers mistreated other skin colored citizens, would it not ?

now it wouldn't target police brutality or misconduct at all - it would simply mean that nobody could say racism was involved. See what I mean ?

Link

Far-Right Extremists Are Hoping to Turn the George Floyd Protests Into a New Civil War

Armed extremists are showing up to protests and urging a "boogaloo" – code for civil war – online.

Far-right extremists are showing up, with guns, to the protests against police brutality that have exploded across the country.

Others are egging on the violence from behind their computers, urging followers to carry out acts of violence against black protesters with the goal of sparking a “race war.”

Their presence makes an uneasy addition to the escalating unrest, which was triggered by the death of George Floyd, a black man who was choked to death by a white Minneapolis police officer earlier this week.

But there’s a range of motivations that’s driving far-right interest toward the protests, which are being led by community members and Black Lives Matter, and bolstered by antifascists.

For example, the so-called Boogaloo Bois — a group of armed anti-government extremists made visible by their Hawaiian shirts — have reportedly shown up to some of the protests.

The “boogaloo” is code for impending civil war or violent confrontation with law enforcement, and that’s what they’re hoping to get out of the protests. Their main reason for being there is their antipathy toward law enforcement, and so they’re trying to position themselves as allies of Black Lives Matter protesters. They’ve made police brutality one of their central issues, which was explored at length in a Bellingcat article this week.

Their approach to police brutality links the victims of the deadly standoff with federal agents at Ruby Ridge in 1992, to the victims of modern police brutality, including Floyd. But unlike the vast majority of protesters, they refuse to acknowledge the fact that police brutality is an issue that disproportionately impacts people of color.

There have been scattered reports of Boogaloo Bois’ presence at the protests, which were compiled by a Bellingcat investigative journalist in a thread. He includes an audio clip (stripped of video per activists’ requests) of protesters saying they’d wrestled a handgun from a “white nationalist” agitator — whom he describes as a Boogaloo Boi who became overly rowdy.

Another photo, shared across private Boogaloo Facebook pages, showed one of their own unfurling their trademark flag during the Minneapolis protests.

And one protester posted a picture of himself wearing a gas mask to Instagram, under the hashtag #Boogaloo.

While some Boogaloo Bois say they’re just libertarians, others will, on occasion, veer into racism — and make no secret of their desire for violence. In addition to their physical presence at the protests, the #boogaloo hashtag on social media has been flooded with memes in the last couple days egging on violence, and talking about how they hope this is the beginning of a civil war.

While more established militia types sometimes share those perspectives, they often view themselves as intermediaries between law enforcement and civilians. For example, two armed white men were interviewed by the Minnesota Reformer, a local independent news organization, outside a tobacco store in Minneapolis this week. They said they were protecting businesses from looters, but were also there to defend civilians should they need to.

“Cops are less likely to tread on people’s rights when there’s other armed people around them,” one of the men told the interviewer.

Local activists identified another group in Minneapolis as members of the III% militia, one of the largest militia networks in the U.S.

But perhaps the most troubling of all are the hardcore “accelerationists” who are encouraging their neo-Nazi followers to go to the protests and carry out acts of violence against black people — all with the goal of “exacerbating the ethnic tensions” and sparking a “race war.”

Accelerationists promote violence to speed up the collapse of society. An eco-fascist Telegram channel wrote to its nearly 2,500 subscribers on Thursday that “a riot would be the perfect place to commit a murder.” Accelerationists often seek to exploit moments of political or civil unrest, and the widespread protests that have unfolded across the country fit the bill. Similarly, 4chan is full of racists cheering the violence and saying that they hope it’s the beginning of a “race war.”

This article originally appeared on VICE US.
Thanks for posting. I've been seeing pictures on social media of armed white people at protests with these boogalo patches on them. Wasn't sure what this was all about.

You can probably understand why. Early 90s, Stillwater high school.
Growing up in Moorhead the few black people in our schools were more like celebrities than outsiders.

My best friend was half black and adopted by a white family. He did go through a bit of identity transformation when they moved to California.

Not sure that's all that germane except to say...well I don't even know what. Race conversations are so confusing.

a very good answer

and again I say that officers needs to match their neighborhoods - white in white, black in black, brown in brown, yellow in yellow, green in green etc etc

that would solve it one color skinned officers mistreated other skin colored citizens, would it not ?

now it wouldn't target police brutality or misconduct at all - it would simply mean that nobody could say racism was involved. See what I mean ?
No, it would not.  That assumes that only black people live in black towns, white people live in white towns, and races never travel into other towns.  That's not the world i live in nor want to live in.

a very good answer

The fact that neighborhoods are divided in this manner is one of the underlying problems in society.

ren hoek said:
https://streamable.com/u2jzoo

Enough with these 'antifa extremists' that hate America standing on their porch 
I guess I'll just add we're in the middle of a pandemic where health workers who save lives and truly protect and serve people struggle to get basic PPE and supplies to meet the crisis. And there are people who are openly mocking and (verbally) attacking those who take simple protective measures like wearing masks.

No, it would not.  That assumes that only black people live in black towns, white people live in white towns, and races never travel into other towns.  That's not the world i live in nor want to live in.
you do know that there are many neighborhoods that are very very segregated by choice right? almost all white, brown, yellow, black etc? ever been to big cities where entire blocks are certain races/colors?

yes there are many areas mixed - in those areas ALWAYS have teams of 2 officer, one black, one white right ? 

a very good answer

"White officers do not kill black suspects at a higher rate compared with nonwhite officers," concludes a research team led by Charles Menifield, dean of the School of Public Affairs and Administration at Rutgers University–Newark. "The killing of black suspects is a police problem, not a white police problem."

https://psmag.com/social-justice/black-cops-are-just-as-likely-as-whites-to-kill-black-suspects

The fact that neighborhoods are divided in this manner is one of the underlying problems in society.
segregation is natural though - we tried forcing desegregation and it failed - which is another topic

I'm just saying if we don't want white cops having clashes with black citizens - and that really IS the topic isn't it ??   then remove the chances it'll happen

I'm way behind on this. But looking at the twitter post Groot linked to, this was a few tweets down. 

Warning - graphic. https://twitter.com/brandondarby/status/1266931208275013633?s=20

Is this real? This was a store owner?
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8373657/Shocking-moment-Dallas-rioters-hurl-ROCKS-store-owner-tried-defend-shop-sword.html

Yes. Was defending his store with a sword. Apparently he was knocked unconscious and isn’t dead. 

a very good answer

That would be illegal race based discrimination in all jurisdictions. Here is L.A. it would mean that black LEOs would be assigned to patrol ghetto neighborhoods like Compton or Watts, while white officers would get upscale assignments like Beverly Hills and Bel Air. 

How Do You Kneel on a Human Neck for Nine Minutes?

The most unsettling reporting I have done on the subject of human necks was in March 2014 in the Central African Republic. I was interviewing a militiaman who said he had killed Muslims, and offered to demonstrate. He then took out a blade and posed with his friend, placing the cutting edge against the man’s throat. What gave me the creeps was not the knife hand but the other one. His fingers pulled taut the skin of his friend’s neck, the better to ensure a firm cutting surface for the blade. The move was instinctive—and to me familiar, from having butchered animals. If you don’t pull the flesh tight, your knife doesn’t bite cleanly, and you make a mess of things. I saw that finger and thought: This man really has done this before.

A close relative of that thought is what many Americans have experienced in the past few days, contemplating what diseased mind could place a knee on the neck of another human being and press until the man died. The tactile experience of kneeling into a human neck is not familiar to most people, and the video of Derek Chauvin, then a Minneapolis police officer and now a civilian charged with murder, kneeling into the neck of George Floyd is about as disturbing as anything most of us have ever seen. Even I—a veteran watcher of snuff films—cannot recall ever seeing someone killed in this way. (ISIS would stab people slowly in the heart, or smoosh them with tank treads, or burn them alive.) The only thing that has brought me close to this form of killing is Joshua Oppenheimer’s singular film The Act of Killing, about executioners in Indonesia with extensive experience strangling their victims.

Oppenheimer asked killers to reenact their executions, to simulate their own violence. You can learn a lot from being placed in the physical arrangement of the act you are trying to understand. All commercial pilots know this: Sophisticated flight simulators enable them to experience the physical reality of certain uncommon cockpit events—wings breaking apart, engines failing, hydraulics going haywire—which allows the pilots to feel the precise number of pounds of pressure it might take to, say, lean into or pull back on a reluctant yoke.

To understand what happened to Floyd, I tried to simulate the position of his killer. My crude simulator involved a stopwatch and kneeling on a rolled-up yoga mat, on top of which I placed a gelatinous pad used by medical students to imitate human skin. (I have these things in my house.) A yoga mat and a fake-skin pad are no substitute for the neck of a dying, pleading man, and thank goodness for that. I used the times noted in the coroner’s report: five minutes and 53 seconds of kneeling before officers declared that Floyd was unresponsive, followed by two minutes and 53 seconds of continued pressure. That totals just less than nine minutes.

At about 20 seconds (far sooner than I had expected), my knee started to throb. Normally when you kneel, you get to shift your weight a little, to give each knee a little vacation from the stress. If you are trying to hold down someone who does not want to be pinned, you probably want to drive your weight hard into one vulnerable place—and if you let up, you will assume that he’ll wriggle around and make you start all over again. The steady pressure builds.

At about one minute, the throb turned decisively to pain and stress. I could feel my muscles rebelling, asking me why I was doing this. Standing on one foot for more than a brief period will have the same effect. Your body knows that you are pulling a stunt, that the posture is needless and uncommon.

The next three minutes, felt much longer—though Chauvin, under the influence of adrenaline, perhaps experienced it much differently, as much less than three minutes. This was the time during which Floyd transitioned from begging, gasping, and drooling to unconsciousness. The physicality of kneeling was at that point not just fully painful but unfamiliar. Normal people never do this. The closest experience I’ve had is again from the world of livestock—holding down a calf (“200 pounds of animated hamburger,” as the rodeo announcers used to say in Texas) while it gets vaccinated and castrated, and resists about as much as you might expect.

Now I was more than halfway to the time at which Floyd stopped responding, and Chauvin’s knee, according to the charges, transformed from a tool of submission into a murder weapon. I weigh more than 200 pounds. I could imagine pinning a man with my knee, using all that force, to hold him still if necessary. But any sentient moral creature should feel that the pressure, applied like this, is an attempt to maim. The revulsion is natural: Whatever I have been leaning into is by now broken. The joint is torqued and sprained, the fascial tissue smeared or torn, the skin and muscle bruised, a major organ permanently injured or worse.

At five minutes and 53 seconds, my knee was numb. It stayed that way for the remaining minutes, and I don’t see how anyone could remain in that position, knee driven into a by-now-inert mass of humanity, unless he was at best totally indifferent to the person’s survival.

I picked up my knee, stood up with the support of a bathroom sink, and saw that the rolled-up yoga mat had gone flat in the middle, like a toothpaste tube that has been hit with a karate chop.

I have become skeptical of what (I think) I see in photos or on video. That skepticism is a civic duty and a professional one. But the evidence in this video is abnormally clear, as well as consistent with a sad record of violent policing in this country. “Police are trained that this type of restraint with the subject in prone position is inherently dangerous,” the criminal complaint against Chauvin says. I am glad to know the police provide this training, and I hope that they continue doing so. They might also consider screening candidates to the force to confirm that the thought of administering this type of restraint, for more than eight uninterrupted minutes, is enough to elicit some scruples.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for posting. I've been seeing pictures on social media of armed white people at protests with these boogalo patches on them. Wasn't sure what this was all about.
how cute.  they have patches.  like a girl scout troop.

Brandon Darby is the Director of Breitbart’s Border and Cartel Chronicles projects. IIRC this was a group that disseminated the terrorists with prayer rugs story about immigrants on the border.

It may be true, I have no idea, but I'd see if it was been picked up or reported by at least one independent source. Almost certainly something like this would be first reported out of Dallas local news. Darby does not offer any sourcing though, so there's no way to tell.
https://www.dallasnews.com/news/crime/2020/05/31/man-shown-in-viral-videos-being-severely-beaten-by-crowd-in-victory-park-in-stable-condition-dallas-police-say/

Apparently trying to defend his store and had a sword or machete.

A police spokesman said late Saturday that the man went to the site “carrying a machete to allegedly protect his neighborhood from protesters. The victim confronted protesters while holding the machete and was subsequently assaulted.”
That's more context and reporting than Breitbart's border editor was going to provide.

segregation is natural though - we tried forcing desegregation and it failed - which is another topic

I'm just saying if we don't want white cops having clashes with black citizens - and that really IS the topic isn't it ??   then remove the chances it'll happen
The problem is NOT white cops clashing with black citizens.  To say that assumes all white cops are racists. 

Why would you assume that?

I'm way behind on this. But looking at the twitter post Groot linked to, this was a few tweets down. 

Warning - graphic. https://twitter.com/brandondarby/status/1266931208275013633?s=20

Is this real? This was a store owner?
Unconfirmed, but I have seen several tweets that he attacked people with a sword or a machete. Looking for video taken before the one you posted but haven't found it yet. Need context on what led up to the beating. 

Austen Holland‏ @realtor_austen 13h13 hours ago

Breaking in Dallas: this man just tried to attack a crowd with a machete. Only one person was slightly cut on the hand.

https://twitter.com/realtor_austen/status/1266925315479285761

I'm going to head out on foot to the epicenter of the action in LA yesterday (3rd & Fairfax). Going to check out Melrose, Wilshire and La brea as well. All the places nearby that were pretty much destroyed last night. Will report back in a bit with my first hand account. Nipsey reporting for FBG news, Los Angeles.

Eh, not according to Dallas Morning News.
:confused:

From the Dallas Morning News article I linked to:

Two less-widely circulated videos on social media show not only the attack but also some 10 to 15 seconds of activity leading up to it.

Those videos show several people hurling objects at the man, who appears to be holding a long bladed object, although it’s unclear from the footage that it’s a machete. The man eventually runs in the direction of someone carrying a skateboard, at which point more than a dozen people descend on him and attack from all sides.

Even in the longer videos, the confrontation has already begun, leaving it unclear from the videos themselves what triggered the overall incident.

No information on arrests was available late Saturday.

Acknowledgement that there is a problem is a start but imo there is no quick solution to these issues.  I think these issues are deeply rooted in systemic racism perpetuated by unconscious bias’.  We all have bias’ but acknowledging that we do is important.  That ensures we dont act on them irrationally based on nothing but… this bias.  I know some police forces for example have attempted to do some training around this.  

Now solving this is a whole other issue.  Changing Bias’ takes time and is likely a precursor to changing the systems.  Like a long time.  More importantly, it takes integration.  Constant.   It takes people from all walks of like interacting often whether that is at the grocery store, in school, where they live, at work, at different socio-econimic levels, etc.  So people can form their opinions about a person based on real interactions and not what they saw on the news or a rap video.  One of my best friends today lived next door to me in college my freshman year.  I was the first black person he had every spoken to.  Not due to his fault, that's just how his town was.  There weren’t any black people there.  But since then we have hung out alot, met each others families, etc.  Now he is very conservative still and we will never agree on politics which is ok, but he does acknowledge his bias’ which to me is progress.  

But how do we do this integration?  Thats the real question.  People have worked extremely hard historically to discourage this.  Even to this day.  Programs that have tried were rallied against.   But i think its the only way.  And if we can better integrate and interact and discuss things like this, overtime this bias’ may change or at least be acknowledged which may help strip down some of the systemic racism that continues to impact this country. 

I need to take a break now. But that is at least my idea on how to solve this. 
Outstanding post. Should be pinned imo.   

Unconfirmed, but I have seen several tweets that he attacked people with a sword or a machete. Looking for video taken before the one you posted but haven't found it yet. Need context on what led up to the beating. 

Austen Holland‏ @realtor_austen 13h13 hours ago

Breaking in Dallas: this man just tried to attack a crowd with a machete. Only one person was slightly cut on the hand.

https://twitter.com/realtor_austen/status/1266925315479285761
Honestly, the dude was running at people when he was attacked, not defending himself.  He should be charged with assault with a deadly weapon.

I'm going to head out on foot to the epicenter of the action in LA yesterday (3rd & Fairfax). Going to check out Melrose, Wilshire and La brea as well. All the places nearby that were pretty much destroyed last night. Will report back in a bit with my first hand account. Nipsey reporting for FBG news, Los Angeles.
good to see you made it through the night.  some of your posts last night about how close this all was to your home had me worried for you man.  

"White officers do not kill black suspects at a higher rate compared with nonwhite officers," concludes a research team led by Charles Menifield, dean of the School of Public Affairs and Administration at Rutgers University–Newark. "The killing of black suspects is a police problem, not a white police problem."

https://psmag.com/social-justice/black-cops-are-just-as-likely-as-whites-to-kill-black-suspects
Pretty superficial analysis, but this the direction that we need to go.  Need full data sets, identifying underlying biases, how to remedy.

Our country is not capable of doing this, cause we gotta pick a side

rom the Dallas Morning News article I linked to:

Two less-widely circulated videos on social media show not only the attack but also some 10 to 15 seconds of activity leading up to it.

Those videos show several people hurling objects at the man, who appears to be holding a long bladed object, although it’s unclear from the footage that it’s a machete. The man eventually runs in the direction of someone carrying a skateboard, at which point more than a dozen people descend on him and attack from all sides.

Even in the longer videos, the confrontation has already begun, leaving it unclear from the videos themselves what triggered the overall incident.

No information on arrests was available late Saturday.
Hey Joe, thanks, I had edited before this to clarify - I meant the claim about it being him defending his store.

The DMN report is that he went to "defend his neighborhood" and it happened outside the House of Blues.

Having been in a city that has been the focus of wild rumors from national attention on the left and right I will always take the local news version. Thanks for posting the DMN, I used to read it regularly when I lived in TX. Great paper.

Acknowledgement that there is a problem is a start but imo there is no quick solution to these issues.  I think these issues are deeply rooted in systemic racism perpetuated by unconscious bias’.  We all have bias’ but acknowledging that we do is important.  That ensures we dont act on them irrationally based on nothing but… this bias.  I know some police forces for example have attempted to do some training around this.  
I'm just going to offer something. A serious national policy with a DOJ that immediately investigates and threatens federal oversight of a police force will do a lot to end this crap toute suite. Chiefs, Captains, officers and other stakeholders who know that their secret files could be unpacked and their dominions taken from them will be quick like hell to ensure that rank and file get with the program to prevent that.

Users who are viewing this thread