What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Another killing at the hands of the Police (4 Viewers)

General Tso said:
timschochet said:
bigbottom said:
timschochet said:
There is also the fact that there is evidence that the police were ready to cover up the incident, just like Ferguson. If not for the video, this guy would still be on patrol, and the same people who are denying racism in this thread would be rushing to defend him. IMO
I though this piece that ran on NBC's Meet the Press this morning was very interesting. It is a depiction of how the Walter Scott shooting would likely have been reported if there had been no video. http://www.nbcnews.com/watch/meet-the-press/how-the-walter-scott-shooting-would-have-been-reported-if-the-video-didnt-exist-426872387597
General Tso, in response to your question about a cover up, please watch the video, Tia.
Thanks Tim, but I don't see anything in that video to show that the Police handled things inappropriately. Their initial release of information was very cursory, based on Officer Slager's account (he was the only witness) and not entirely incorrect I might add. I'm not sure what else they could have done. The shooting took place on Saturday, the video surfaced a couple days later, and the officer was immediately fired, charged with murder, and held without bond. And the day after that the PD ordered 150 body cameras.The NBC video linked above, by the way, was a lousy piece. They assumed that the story would end after the initial police report. How is that not biased and unfair? Who knows what would have happened in the days and weeks afterwards. The forensics would have certainly determined that he was shot in the back while running away. As I said earlier, the State Police who were at the scene were pretty convinced he was shot in the back. Would people really want the investigators to release their initial impressions in such a case before having the forensic evidence to corroborate things? Seems like the PD was in a no win situation and would be criticized no matter what they did.

Also, I love the way the Hispanic panel member says that the Police initially dismissed Feidin Santana when he came in to show them the video he took. What really happened (by Feidin's own words during an interview on Huffington) was that he informed police of the video and was told to wait momentarily, most likely so they could find the Police Chief or lead investigator. Feidin had a change of heart while he was waiting and decided that he should give the video directly to the Scott family - which by the way I think was a very wise decision on his part. But the Media's reported of this as police "dismissing the evidence" is at best inaccurate, and at worst completely fabricated.

SO much wrong with the reporting and the reaction to this case. Nobody seems to care about the truth anymore.
Not until a video comes out, a couple of days after the fact, completely screwing up the narrative, amirite?
Not sure I follow. What evidence do you have that the police weren't investigating this adequately prior to the video?

I don't know if this has been mentioned or not, but watching the video again I realize that the cop has to be the fastest gun among police officers. Typically the cops have their guns strapped and snapped in their holster, this guy cleans his gun from his holster and shoots faster than Doc Holliday.

The racism isn't in particular cops waking up in the morning and saying "I'm gonna shoot me a ###### today."

The racism is in blacks being more likely to get investigated for things whites wouldn't get investigated for. For blacks being treated differently when they are investigated. For cops generally treating blacks as more of a threat in a citizen/police confrontation. For cops generally being more likely to react with force, and a different level of force, on blacks. For the public being more likely to overlook the excessive harassment or use of force by cops on blacks than cops on whites. And, because of that establishment blindness, for the ease with which cops can lie and coverup their misdeeds.

Not sure I follow. What evidence do you have that the police weren't investigating this adequately prior to the video?
This is why I asked my question before about "tampering with evidence" vs "part of the actions of the incident". Had there not been a video, we'd have the lies the cop told, a dead body with shots to the back and a taser laying at the victim's feet. So, I then ask, how does one "investigate this adequately" at that point and what does it mean to do so?

The racism isn't in particular cops waking up in the morning and saying "I'm gonna shoot me a ###### today."

The racism is in blacks being more likely to get investigated for things whites wouldn't get investigated for. For blacks being treated differently when they are investigated. For cops generally treating blacks as more of a threat in a citizen/police confrontation. For cops generally being more likely to react with force, and a different level of force, on blacks. For the public being more likely to overlook the excessive harassment or use of force by cops on blacks than cops on whites. And, because of that establishment blindness, for the ease with which cops can lie and coverup their misdeeds.
Young black males want/strive to act like gangster, thug, tough guys and then people wonder why police treat them like gangster, thug,tough guys.

Last edited by a moderator:
There's plenty of black people who aren't acting like gangster thug tough guys who still get mistreated by police. Walter Scott for example

We talked about systemic racism in the police force earlier and the thread and the conversation went sideways too quickly. I believe there is definite merit to these claims. Problem is, there are so many variants at play that it's difficult to hone in on the actual root cause.

In this particular case it looked like systemic racism was going to play a key part early on. The focus was on the other cop at the scene (Officer Habersham) not administering first aid and turning a blind eye when officer Slager planted the taser right in front of him. Clearly an act of systemic racism, right? Yeah, except for the fact that Officer Habersham was black.

There's plenty of black people who aren't acting like gangster thug tough guys who still get mistreated by police. Walter Scott for example
Ignorance got him killed. His ignorance in running and the cops ignorance of handling the situation after he ran.

We talked about systemic racism in the police force earlier and the thread and the conversation went sideways too quickly. I believe there is definite merit to these claims. Problem is, there are so many variants at play that it's difficult to hone in on the actual root cause.In this particular case it looked like systemic racism was going to play a key part early on. The focus was on the other cop at the scene (Officer Habersham) not administering first aid and turning a blind eye when officer Slager planted the taser right in front of him. Clearly an act of systemic racism, right? Yeah, except for the fact that Officer Habersham was black.
. That officer being black doesn't mean that there might not be systemic issues with regard to race.

Ignorance got him killed. His ignorance in running and the cops ignorance of handling the situation after he ran.
Nothing "got him killed."

The cop killed him by shooting him over and over in the back.

This is not 50/50 blame. It's 100% on the police. The cop, the department, and cop culture generally.

This is why I asked my question before about "tampering with evidence" vs "part of the actions of the incident". Had there not been a video, we'd have the lies the cop told, a dead body with shots to the back and a taser laying at the victim's feet. So, I then ask, how does one "investigate this adequately" at that point and what does it mean to do so?
5 shots to the back is enough evidence to convict the cop of manslaughter. There are laws in place (maybe Maurile can help with this) that you cannot shoot someone who is running away from you and not an immediate threat to you or someone else.

What I am arguing against in the notion that if it wasn't for the video this all would have been swept under the rug. That was the initial storyline and I believe it was unfair the Police Department. And as we can see here, even though the PD was later exonerated (and actually applauded for the way they handled this) people still remember the initial speculation that they were poo-poo'ing it or even worse, trying to cover it up. It has been alleged several times in here in just the last couple of days.

We talked about systemic racism in the police force earlier and the thread and the conversation went sideways too quickly. I believe there is definite merit to these claims. Problem is, there are so many variants at play that it's difficult to hone in on the actual root cause.In this particular case it looked like systemic racism was going to play a key part early on. The focus was on the other cop at the scene (Officer Habersham) not administering first aid and turning a blind eye when officer Slager planted the taser right in front of him. Clearly an act of systemic racism, right? Yeah, except for the fact that Officer Habersham was black.
. That officer being black doesn't mean that there might not be systemic issues with regard to race.
Interesting. Are you saying that Officer Habersham could have been racist as well?

cstu said:
timschochet, on 11 Apr 2015 - 7:49 PM, said:

timschochet said:
ctsu, regarding your neighbor from Kenya-

I've known 2 black couples from Africa in my life, and both were the biggest anti-American black racists I have ever known. They thought American blacks were lazy and stupid and beneath them and they liked to use the n word to describe them. So it doesn't surprise me at all to hear your friend say that black people need to grow up. It saddens me to hear you agree with her though.
I've been to Africa, Tim, and have seen first hand what people there must do to get a chance to come to America. My in-laws have servants (yes, that's what they still call them) working more than 40 hours a week and pay them the equivalent of $80 a month. If by some miracle they get here they see people calling themselves 'African' who have had the American Dream handed to them on a silver platter yet throw it away only to blame someone else for their failure.

I'm not even black but when I come back from Africa and hear ANYONE, regardless of color, complain about the unfairness of their life it makes me want to slap the taste out of their mouth. If you were born in America you are one lucky SOB, even if you have it a little tougher because of your skin color.
I agree being born in America is a lucky thing

That being said what happens in other countries is pretty much irrelevant to this conversation. Someone mentioned in the boycott Indiana thread that in some Middle East country that it’s acceptable to kill a person because they are gay as if that made it ok to discriminate against a gay person here.

Along those lines why is it acceptable for someone to have it tougher here because of their skin color?

Interesting. Are you saying that Officer Habersham could have been racist as well?
I don't think the primary motivator for him was race. He wasn't black or white. He was a cop. Another cop killed a guy. He sided with his own side - the cop.

Is there a link for the initial or preliminary report by the officer involved, the 2nd officer on the scene, and the supervisor who would have been called to the scene? I would be interested in reading any reports produced before the video came out.

Young black males want/strive to act like gangster, thug, tough guys and then people wonder why police treat them like gangster, thug,tough guys.
All young black makes do this?

Or just the ones you see on TV or music videos?

I don't think the primary motivator for him was race. He wasn't black or white. He was a cop. Another cop killed a guy. He sided with his own side - the cop.

I agree with this. When it comes to cops, the color involved isn't black or white, it's blue.

5 shots to the back is enough evidence to convict the cop of manslaughter. There are laws in place (maybe Maurile can help with this) that you cannot shoot someone who is running away from you and not an immediate threat to you or someone else.

What I am arguing against in the notion that if it wasn't for the video this all would have been swept under the rug. That was the initial storyline and I believe it was unfair the Police Department. And as we can see here, even though the PD was later exonerated (and actually applauded for the way they handled this) people still remember the initial speculation that they were poo-poo'ing it or even worse, trying to cover it up. It has been alleged several times in here in just the last couple of days.
Not if the narrative is "he took my taser and was running off to harm others". That's where this was probably going if the video didn't surface. I don't think, for a second, the cop would have changed his story. The police department would have had to rely on the story of their cop. That's all there would have been. That's all the department would have had to go by. Neither of the by-standers would be able to testify to the "stability" of the victim. They'd only been able to testify to the scuffle and shooting in the back.

I know what you're saying General Tso, I just don't believe it. The taser next to Scott would have been the "proof" needed to justify the shooting. You think anybody in authority would have suspected that the cop planted the taser there? No chance of that. If somebody had suggested it here, your attitude would have been scornful- I can see it now: "Oh, so NOW we're supposed to believe this officer shot this guy several times in the back for no reason and then walked up and placed the taser next to him??? Yeah right!"

Nothing happens without the video. Nothing.

I always knew you were racist and ignorant, but never did I realize the true extent of your delusions.
:lmao: Ignorance is resorting to name calling.

I know what you're saying General Tso, I just don't believe it. The taser next to Scott would have been the "proof" needed to justify the shooting. You think anybody in authority would have suspected that the cop planted the taser there? No chance of that. If somebody had suggested it here, your attitude would have been scornful- I can see it now: "Oh, so NOW we're supposed to believe this officer shot this guy several times in the back for no reason and then walked up and placed the taser next to him??? Yeah right!"

The autopsy showing the bullet in his BACK would show he wasn't a threat to the officer when he was shot. So you can't claim nothing would happen at all.

Is there a link for the initial or preliminary report by the officer involved, the 2nd officer on the scene, and the supervisor who would have been called to the scene? I would be interested in reading any reports produced before the video came out.
I had to search around for this stuff yesterday, and it wasn't easy to find. basically the two Officers at the scene, Slager and Habersham, each gave their own reports. Habersham's was I believe two sentences long, and contained the controvesial statement that he had tried to stop the bleeding at the scene. Surprisingly both reports were reasonably correct from a factual standpoint in terms of what was actually said, as was the initial PD report of the incident. It as very cursory information, something like "victim was shot after a struggle with the officer's taser". There was nothing about Scott being shot in the back. It is my belief that the PD knew this at the time but elected not to release that information right away until it was confirmed by forensics and concurred with by the State PD which was investigating as well. The State PD said that they were suspicious of the shooting right from the start.

Reports? We don't need no stinking reports!

Nothing "got him killed."The cop killed him by shooting him over and over in the back.

This is not 50/50 blame. It's 100% on the police. The cop, the department, and cop culture generally.
I agree with you but it's stupid to run and he would be alive had he not started trying to escape. It doesn't justify the cops actions at all but that dude knew as soon as he took off nothing good was going to occur too.

I can't speak for how the actual trial would have played out, Tim. I hate to think that a cop would be acquitted of shooting someone in the back 5 times, but I concede that in today's day and age anything is possible, especially when it comes to cop cases. Slager certainly would have relied on the theft of the taser as his defense, but I think that defense would have fallen flat. The statutes I saw on this stated "imminent danger" as the only acceptable reason to shoot a fleeing suspect. A discharged taser doesn't rise to that standard. Thankfully we'll never have to play out that hypothetical.

I had to search around for this stuff yesterday, and it wasn't easy to find. basically the two Officers at the scene, Slager and Habersham, each gave their own reports. Habersham's was I believe two sentences long, and contained the controvesial statement that he had tried to stop the bleeding at the scene. Surprisingly both reports were reasonably correct from a factual standpoint in terms of what was actually said, as was the initial PD report of the incident. It as very cursory information, something like "victim was shot after a struggle with the officer's taser". There was nothing about Scott being shot in the back. It is my belief that the PD knew this at the time but elected not to release that information right away until it was confirmed by forensics and concurred with by the State PD which was investigating as well. The State PD said that they were suspicious of the shooting right from the start.
And there was nothing about the taser being moved either if I remember correctly.

Did they say the bolded before or after the video came to light?

I can't speak for how the actual trial would have played out, Tim. I hate to think that a cop would be acquitted of shooting someone in the back 5 times, but I concede that in today's day and age anything is possible, especially when it comes to cop cases. Slager certainly would have relied on the theft of the taser as his defense, but I think that defense would have fallen flat. The statutes I saw on this stated "imminent danger" as the only acceptable reason to shoot a fleeing suspect. A discharged taser doesn't rise to that standard. Thankfully we'll never have to play out that hypothetical.
Trial? There never would have been any trial.

I tend to agree with this point:

I agree with this. When it comes to cops, the color involved isn't black or white, it's blue.

Last edited by a moderator:
Does anybody think that this situation ends up the same way if he stays in the car...What do you think Harry.
I think you're a racist, and too ashamed to admit it.
:lmao: You're right because I am not ignoring the fact that he ran instead of staying in the car makes me a racist. Did I say he deserved to be shot did I say the cop wasn't wrong? No I simply pointed out that things would have been different if he stayed in the car. By the way I would post what I think you are but you would report me and have me banned.

Fleeing from a cop, then fighting him when he chases you down, and taking his taser are not "gangster thug tough guy" acts?
The other South Carolina guy that got shot by the cop when he followed the cop's instructions to get his license would have been a better example.

Does anybody think that this situation ends up the same way if he stays in the car...What do you think Harry.
Am I Harry? I've been called so many names in this thread I can't keep track.

The victim's actions are a legitimate conversation to have when it comes to police brutality, and we talked about it earlier. It's a tough conversation to have in a thread about a person being murdered, and I regret going down that road myself earlier. People are always going to run from cops, so the cops need to be trained and prepared to deal with it. And shooting someone in the back 5 times is obviously not the way to deal with it.

na...I think there would have been a trial. Now, if there were no witnesses, probably not a trial. With the way things are going in this country, there's a trial if anyone saw anything.

I think you're a racist, and too ashamed to admit it.
:lmao: You're right because I am not ignoring the fact that he ran instead of staying in the car makes me a racist. Did I say he deserved to be shot did I say the cop wasn't wrong? No I simply pointed out that things would have been different if he stayed in the car. By the way I would post what I think you are but you would report me and have me banned.
You literally said "Ignorance got him killed". His own ignorance. You literally said he got himself killed. You blamed him, for being shot in the back 8 times by a police officer. You are blaming the man how was shot in the back, rather than the cop.

You also said "Young black males want/strive to act like gangster, thug, tough guys and then people wonder why police treat them like gangster, thug,tough guys."

I guess white people don't act like thugs ever? Do police treat white gangster thugs like that, or are white people incapable of being thugs? Would a "white gangster thug" who "got himself" shot in the back be a victim or would it be his own fault?

Fleeing from a cop, then fighting him when he chases you down, and taking his taser are not "gangster thug tough guy" acts?
We don't know that he fought the cop or took his taser. I tend to believe he did neither, because of the way the cop yells "taser taser taser taser!" as they are trained to do before they shoot the taser, and because of the taser wires sticking out of Scott as he continues to run away.

So, no, generally running away is not gangster, thuggish, or tough.

And just so I'm clear, I don't think the running away was smart. But I know it wasn't dangerous, stupid, or criminal enough to justify summary execution.

The victim's actions are a legitimate conversation to have when it comes to police brutality, and we talked about it earlier. It's a tough conversation to have in a thread about a person being murdered, and I regret going down that road myself earlier. People are always going to run from cops, so the cops need to be trained and prepared to deal with it. And shooting someone in the back 5 times is obviously not the way to deal with it.
No you are not Harry. I was referring to Harry Mansack. Who is quick to call people racist. I agree that the officer crossed the line from law enforcement to killer. I just wonder how that day goes for everybody if the victim stays in the car.

No you are not Harry. I was referring to Harry Mansack. Who is quick to call people racist. I agree that the officer crossed the line from law enforcement to killer. I just wonder how that day goes for everybody if the victim stays in the car.
:lmao:

You fell off your horse.

I'm not saying she deserved to be raped. I'm just wondering how it wouldn't gone if she didn't wear that skirt.

I'm not saying she deserved to be raped. I'm just wondering how it wouldn't gone if she didn't wear that skirt.
:lmao:

But, I'm not sexist. I'm just saying, what if she didn't walk home wearing a skirt, and instead stayed in the kitchen where she belonged?

Yep those two scenarios are exactly the same.

Yep those two scenarios are exactly the same.
Don't worry. No one here expects you to see yourself as a racist.

Users who are viewing this thread