Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Another killing at the hands of the Police

3 minutes ago, timschochet said:

Do you really believe ANTIFA is orchestrating protests and riots that are going on all over the USA at the same time? 

yes, regionally

Edited by GROOT
  • Replies 14k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Members 16,204 31,897 posts Gender:Not Telling Report post Posted 4 minutes ago I have been contacted by several posters for my thoughts.  I struggled with coming back ev

The entire written statement from General Mattis should be required reading:

Spent the day at the DC marches yesterday. It was mostly peaceful, respectful. Angry at times, but definitely peaceful. We had a hiccup at one point after a group gathered at the Lincoln for some spee

3 minutes ago, timschochet said:

Do you really believe ANTIFA is orchestrating protests and riots that are going on all over the USA at the same time? 

They dont have to orchestrate anything. They just show up at the regularly scheduled protest.  It's what they do, they are opportunists.  How hard is this to understand?   

2 minutes ago, timschochet said:

Well you’re right. The one today is smaller and has less obscenities. And nobody is carrying an assault rifle. 

Obscenities? I’ve heard no less than three people in the past two days say the F word while being interviewed on live TV. Whether you like it or not, I have to assume in that area, assault rifles are legal to carry. 

Just now, tonydead said:

They dont have to orchestrate anything. They just show up at the regularly scheduled protest.  It's what they do, they are opportunists.  How hard is this to understand?   

It’s hard to understand because it sounds like crap. These kids are doing it themselves. 

12 minutes ago, timschochet said:

Two weeks ago there was a huge protest in Huntington Beach to open the beach. The protestors wore Trump signs,  shouted obscenities, and some were armed. The police were nowhere to be seen. 
Today there was a protest about Floyd and Black Lives Matter. It was slightly smaller than the previous protest. It was peaceful, no threats were made. The police made their presence known from the first, and after two hours they declared the gathering illegal. Then they started using mace and tear gas. 

Well was there any looting after the one a few weeks ago? I have no idea how close today's protests were to any places looted over the past few days. But it seems like authorities gave protesters of all shapes and sizes the benefit of the doubt. But these round of protests clearly crossed the line. Now it may just be a few bad apples but that argument goes both ways. Unfortunately, a few rioters in a protest make it a public issue since they do it under the cover of 'peaceful protesting.' 

I don't disagree the sight of armed white protesters storming the Michigan capital vs this guy spending a counterfeit $20 and the respective results are jarring. But the discussion at this point has moved on past that. Unfortunately, we need to get the country under control before we can move forward. Unless people think this is acceptable which does seem like a few folks. 

6 minutes ago, tonydead said:

He doesn’t want to understand it because it doesn’t fit with what he wants to believe. 

• Like 3
2 minutes ago, djmich said:

It’s not a hate crime, but he beat his ### cause “the system”.  And I guess a white guy is the system?

If you damage someone’s property, I have no sympathy for the retaliation. 

• Like 1
1 minute ago, Andy Dufresne said:

Local news in hysterics and interviewing the most hysterical over this truck thing. 

Do people think the police conspired to have a truck drive into the crowd?

I do think it is fair to question how he managed to get past police blockades.

• Like 1
1 minute ago, Andy Dufresne said:

Local news in hysterics and interviewing the most hysterical over this truck thing. 

Just saw that footage. HFS.

The trucker driver just lost his mind / road rages and was trying to get out of there or what?

1 minute ago, mcintyre1 said:

I do think it is fair to question how he managed to get past police blockades.

Sure, but the dude came to a stop. If he was trying to kill people he'd have kept going I'd think. Just bizarre.

Just now, Andy Dufresne said:

Sure, but the dude came to a stop. If he was trying to kill people he'd have kept going I'd think. Just bizarre.

Yeah, I do agree that I think the driver wasn't intending to kill people. I do think he had every intention of getting through, though. He apparently was blowing his horn for awhile as he barrelled toward the protest.

Just now, Andy Dufresne said:

Very odd. He was about 50 yards away from being out of the crowd. 

Just now, mcintyre1 said:

Yeah, I do agree that I think the driver wasn't intending to kill people. I do think he had every intention of getting through, though. He apparently was blowing his horn for awhile as he barrelled toward the protest.

Well then he's staring at about 500 counts of attempted murder or something akin.

Minnesota Department of Public Safety

Very disturbing actions by a truck driver on I-35W, inciting a crowd of peaceful demonstrators. The truck driver was injured & taken to a hospital with non-life threatening injuries. He is under arrest. It doesn’t appear any protesters were hit by the truck. #MACCMN

• Like 1
Just now, Cjw_55106 said:

Potentially deadly game of chicken.  I assume he expected everyone to get out of the way and those those few stragglers remained in the road he was forced to stop as his intent wasn't to kill.

2 minutes ago, Cjw_55106 said:

It looked like a person had fallen in the way of the truck as the crowd was clearing a path.

Edited by The General
  • Like 1
4 minutes ago, tonydead said:

:lmao::lol: I will show them. I will agree with myself!  Either that or he forgot to log out log in to his other alias.  

:goodposting:

Not that the aliases on that side aren’t obvious but....OOPS!:lmao:

• Like 3
  • Laughing 3

Tons of extra bodies including national guard in Seattle.  Flash bombs and tear gas before they even started trouble.  Wont take them long to drive them out tonight.   :thumbup:. Arresting and hauling people away too.  

• Like 1
Just now, tonydead said:

Tons of extra bodies including national guard in Seattle.  Flash bombs and tear gas before they even started trouble.  Wont take them long to drive them out tonight.   :thumbup:. Arresting and hauling people away too.  

Good for Gov. Inslee for working with the officials there to protect the city and its citizens.  

• Like 1
3 minutes ago, GROOT said:

This is why the military needs to step in and stop this ####

There are about 3000 National Guard troops throughout the city. Are you saying that peaceful protest shouldn't be allowed before curfew?

36 minutes ago, GROOT said:

Yeah this is terrible.  Wife and Husband are in the hospital but doing ok.

My next door neighbor owns a Cricket store in the city that was looted last night.  All windows busted, computers, ATM etc taken and merchandise.  They went in today and cleaned up.  Was a terrible mess, they had help from residents which was nice.  Rent a center next door was looted and burned.

This is all very sad.

ETA:  My son is an EMT and works overnights, last night 7-7, tonight as well.  Didn't sleep much last night and likely not again tonight.  It's not enough he's had to deal with the COVID mess, now this too.  Rioters attacked a fire truck here last night breaking windows and injuring a firefighter.  

Edited by rick6668
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

A black friend of mine from grad school posted something in reply to the question: "but what can I do."  Thought it was probably the most level-headed and practical response I've seen yet so thought I'd share it.  He's a really good dude and don't remember him going political before this:

Following some of my posts about George Floyd and police brutality the last couple days, I've had a number of people reach out and ask me what specifically they can do to be an ally to me and other black and brown people in this country. This really gives me hope. I hesitate to sound preachy or sound like I'm talking down to people, so please don’t take this as that. But I've had a lot of these thoughts in my head for years if not decades as I've interacted with so many of my white friends and family, and I figured they don't do anybody any good if I don't at least get them out. These are all things that I wrestle with - with varying degrees of success and failure. So consider them or not - I'm just one black guy. But if you want to help, this would be my suggestion:

𝐁𝐞 𝐚𝐧𝐭𝐢-𝐫𝐚𝐜𝐢𝐬𝐭. You've tried being non-racist and it just ain't working, folks. We need to be anti-racist in our parenting, be anti-racist in our relationships, and be anti-racist in our politics.

𝐁𝐞 𝐚𝐧𝐭𝐢-𝐫𝐚𝐜𝐢𝐬𝐭 𝐢𝐧 𝐨𝐮𝐫 𝐩𝐚𝐫𝐞𝐧𝐭𝐢𝐧𝐠. If your takeaway from learning about MLK in elementary school was that you should teach your kids to be 'colorblind' and everything would follow from there - stop. Just stop. That's not what he said and that's certainly not what he meant. Your kids need to learn that from the very beginnings of this country up through today, black people have been enslaved, raped, lynched, poisoned, discriminated against, red-lined, beaten down physically and psychologically, and fundamentally made to feel sub-human. The sheer volume of actions that have been taken against us will not be offset by all the inaction in the world. If everybody were treated equally starting today (which of course isn't happening), it would take millennia to offset all of these past actions.

Your kids need to understand that not being racist isn't enough and that they need to actively participate in fixing the inequities left behind by their parents, grandparents, and ancestors. They need to defend the defenseless. They need to speak out against the injustices they see in their schools and their communities. They need to fight for black inclusion in their social and educational circles, even if they're at a point in life where they feel unsure about their own standing in these circles because while that feeling of uncertainty lasts forever, the time to help others is always now.

𝐁𝐞 𝐚𝐧𝐭𝐢-𝐫𝐚𝐜𝐢𝐬𝐭 𝐢𝐧 𝐨𝐮𝐫 𝐫𝐞𝐥𝐚𝐭𝐢𝐨𝐧𝐬𝐡𝐢𝐩𝐬 - 𝐛𝐨𝐭𝐡 𝐟𝐫𝐢𝐞𝐧𝐝𝐬 𝐚𝐧𝐝 𝐟𝐚𝐦𝐢𝐥𝐲. Look - we've all got some family members that say and do racist things. I get it. You can't just disown these people - but you know what? They're not going to disown you either. So speak up, call out their ignorance. Make them understand that's not ok. Be willing to have those uncomfortable conversations in real-time. The eye-roll at the Thanksgiving table isn't enough.

Navigating racism among friends may be even harder, but unlike your family, the people who you choose to call your friends reflect on you as a person. So when they say or do racist things - check them or drop them. There need to be social consequences for racist behavior. It's sometimes difficult to speak out - conflict avoidance is a pretty good strategy. But your friendship has currency - use that currency to effect change.

This is an issue - the unwillingness of my own friends to speak out against the racist behavior of their friends - that has severely damaged some of my dearest relationships in the world. But you don't get to have it both ways - you don't get to say 'some of my best friends are black' (you probably shouldn't be saying that by the way) but then turn around and let racist behavior by your other friends slide. Not without working to fix it. Not good enough. Nobody expects you to fix racism, but this is a good place to start.

𝐁𝐞 𝐚𝐧𝐭𝐢-𝐫𝐚𝐜𝐢𝐬𝐭 𝐢𝐧 𝐨𝐮𝐫 𝐩𝐨𝐥𝐢𝐭𝐢𝐜𝐬. Ok - if you haven't figured out by now that Donald Trump is a racist then you probably haven't made it this far in my post. So I'm not going to harp on that. But Democrats - you don't get off easy here. Joe Biden has a deeply troubling past when it comes to race, and the Democratic Party has an even longer history of playing lip-service to black plight but not really doing anything to address it. Because what other choice do we have? What have you heard from your political leaders in the last week of death, fire, and destruction that even hints at any plan to put an end to the centuries-old plague of police killing black Americans?

If the promise of America isn't a complete lie, then '𝑠𝑡𝑜𝑝 𝑘𝑖𝑙𝑙𝑖𝑛𝑔 𝑏𝑙𝑎𝑐𝑘 𝑝𝑒𝑜𝑝𝑙𝑒' should be as basic of a campaign platform as '𝘤𝘳𝘦𝘢𝘵𝘪𝘯𝘨 𝘫𝘰𝘣𝘴' or '𝑖𝑚𝑝𝑟𝑜𝑣𝑖𝑛𝑔 𝑡ℎ𝑒 𝑒𝑐𝑜𝑛𝑜𝑚𝑦'. The solutions are plentiful, and yet somehow promising their implementation would make too many 'swing voters' uncomfortable. And so instead of promising real change - I hear more lip service. Blacks are THE most loyal Democratic voting bloc, and yet somehow the less-loyal voters are the ones that are constantly catered to. That's not how this is supposed to work, and so maybe unwavering loyalty isn't the way to go.

I get it - the stakes have never been higher. But that is 𝒆𝒙𝒂𝒄𝒕𝒍𝒚 why we have maximum leverage - at this point in time more than ever. Make this issue non-negotiable, a requirement, a cost of entry for your voting consideration. Refuse to vote for somebody that doesn’t specifically promise to fix this issue - because it is fixable.

Be safe. I love you guys.

Edited by Dinsy Ejotuz
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 1
  • Love 3
3 minutes ago, Shula-holic said:

4 minutes ago, tonydead said:

Good for Gov. Inslee for working with the officials there to protect the city and its citizens.  

Just another good step for Inslee.

Democrats dipping back into the Russian well apparently. It’s a bold strategy-

Former Obama administration national security adviser Susan Rice bizarrely suggested in a televised interview Sunday that the Russians could be behind the violent nationwide demonstrations following the in-custody death of George Floyd, although she offered no evidence for the incendiary claim.

• Laughing 4
Just now, The General said:

Just another good step for Inslee.

As much as I dont like him or Durkin I got to hand it to them, they dont take #### from these Antifa mobs.  Of course they have a lot of practice dealing with them. 

4 minutes ago, mcintyre1 said:

9 minutes ago, GROOT said:

This is why the military needs to step in and stop this ####

There are about 3000 National Guard troops throughout the city. Are you saying that peaceful protest shouldn't be allowed before curfew?

This is how this is a no-win situation. If you allow crowds and a tiny amount of jackasses intermingle in the protest it turns ugly.

So we are left with allow protest and wait for the inevitable or keep people from gathering. 

• Like 2
Just now, Widbil83 said:

Democrats dipping back into the Russian well apparently. It’s a bold strategy-

I was driving back from the beach yesterday and was listening to CNN coverage on the radio during the long drive.  They had Marc Morial on suggesting the same thing.  I was trying to understand if the Russians had some kind of master list to send notices or invites out to or what.  This thing was pretty spontaneous so I don't see how that narrative flies at all but there was no pushback or questioning on the claim.  

• Like 3

Antifa on the run. Two dozen bike cops and a couple swat vans chasing them.  Hopefully out of the city and they are forced to disperse.  Might escape without any damage tonight.  

Edited by tonydead
  • Like 1
1 minute ago, tonydead said:

As much as I dont like him or Durkin I got to hand it to them, they dont take #### from these Antifa mobs.  Of course they have a lot of practice dealing with them. 

We agree here, who ever these pricks are that are there to only cause mayhem, have been at this act for years now in Seattle. There’s no perfect solution.

1 minute ago, The General said:

We agree here, who ever these pricks are that are there to only cause mayhem, have been at this act for years now in Seattle. There’s no perfect solution.

Looks like the regular (real) protesters and now being allowed to have their gathering, different speakers trading off talking to the much smaller crowd now.  Pretty cool, except the audio is of Dirkin instead of reporters on the ground, I'd like to hear some confirmation of what I'm seeing.  

Video from right next to the truck -- don't get to see much for most of the video because the guy is actively trying to stop people from beating up the driver but you can hear the horn blowing as he goes through. Most of the crowd of men that we saw get maced by the police in aerial shots can be seen from this video as having been trying to protect the driver.

I'm going to remind everyone that this was an organized, peaceful march that started at US Bank stadium and was allowed by the police to enter and continue their march down I-35, which was closed an hour before this happened.

• Like 1