What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Another killing at the hands of the Police (5 Viewers)

Hopefully some can choose not to frame it as a choice between burning businesses down and "get back to the fields and know your role". 
Some, who have been posting about tyranny and policing in this very thread neither know what tyranny really is nor why society has an institution focusing on order and what function it might serve. They're in this very thread. Actually, they're who you're involved in this discussion with. 

Last edited by a moderator:
I can see how it might...Ive said time and time again on this board that I don't support or condone violence as a means of protest.  Doesn't mean I can't understand there is frustration that boils up to it.  I understand and empathize with the fight against injustice...I can do so without really supporting looting and setting fires and destroying property and slinging things at cops.

Its about the killing of Floyd and others...and about the police reaction.  Looking back on this thread when the reports of the death first came out I came across mcintyre's post about the police's response to the death...its one of the things that boils things up big time when the official explanation was complete lies.

https://forums.footballguys.com/forum/topic/726268-another-killing-at-the-hands-of-the-police/?do=findComment&comment=22748813
That's troubling, but par for the course. I learned how to read a police report from Reason magazine, no friends to LEO-loving sorts. It's hard to say that with all the law enforcement lies we've seen in the past that this information would be anything new. That's probably why there are protests. But what sets this incident apart for nationwide violence specifically is a question nobody can really answer right now. 

Some, who have been posting about tyranny and policing in this very thread, neither know what tyranny really is, nor why society has an institution focusing on order and what function it might serve. They're in this very thread. Actually, they're who you're involved in this discussion with. 
Please inform me of what tyranny is then. I'm willing to learn, so please inform all of us. Continue with why society has an institution focusing on order as well. TIA

About 400 pages of the Kaepernik thread are after his playing career, and they are not all positive. People definitely have a problem with protests.
I think people had a problem with him using a football game to protest the police but I don't think anyone had a problem with the message he was trying to send.  People also said that he was making it about himself with the football and losing his message (and they were right he failed with his message).   The biggest problem people had was the entitlement he wanted to play football and ignore his employer's request to not protest on the job.   He has the right to protest and they have the right not to employ him.  I think that's most of the 400 pages.

And he wasn't just about police brutality.  He's wearing pig socks and his girlfriend calling NFL owners racists (while he's claiming he wants them to employ him).   That thread covered a little more than just "protests"

Your first examples are from people that make piles of money. Most people dont want to listen to people that make gobs of money speak about being oppressed. Or about veganism. Or any other cause. 

The number of people that complain about legal protests at a grassroots level is generally pretty small. 
Sure...but the people that makes piles of money...are typically the ones with the bigger stage and pulpit to reach more people.

People have complained about protests that blocked interstates and roads...

I think people had a problem with him using a football game to protest the police but I don't think anyone had a problem with the message he was trying to send.  People also said that he was making it about himself with the football and losing his message (and they were right he failed with his message).   The biggest problem people had was the entitlement he wanted to play football and ignore his employer's request to not protest on the job.   He has the right to protest and they have the right not to employ him.  I think that's most of the 400 pages.

And he wasn't just about police brutality.  He's wearing pig socks and his girlfriend calling NFL owners racists (while he's claiming he wants them to employ him).   That thread covered a little more than just "protests"
Protesting during the National Anthem played a part as well.

Police brutality against anyone, coupled with the notion that the police should only protect their own, instead of holding one another accountable when one of them screws up, and that's just off the top of the dome for now.
and everyone agree's with that 

so why is it when police treat other races unethically and brutally etc .... why doesn't that hit the news/media?  why when the victims are white/yellow/blue/purple/brown etc doesn't cities riot/loot ?

truth is - a small % of police are people who are violent/mean/evil and nobody should accept that and we should all demand they go away ... and a small % of protestors are people who are violent/mean/evil and nobody should accept that and we should all demand they go away too

why can't we do both ?

So they are against some violence but quietly okay with other violence?   Not sure I understand what you're saying
You asked where they all were speaking out against violence and I'd like to point out that many of them were very vocal about the violence that ended the lives of black people.  LeBron James comes to mind.  Why do you think we are here? 

About 400 pages of the Kaepernick thread are after his playing career, and they are not all positive. People definitely have a problem with protests.
A lot of people I know didn't like it.  They weren't mad that it was a protest.  They were mad they turned on a football game and got what they viewed as politics.  The NFL is entertainment.  Some people just want a reason to be mad and will be mad no matter what.  But a lot of the NFL frustration was--people were turning in for football and getting other stuff.  

You asked where they all were speaking out against violence and I'd like to point out that many of them were very vocal about the violence that ended the lives of black people.  LeBron James comes to mind.  Why do you think we are here? 
This is pure semantics and a bad faith argument. 

I know why we are all upset and protesting (peacefully).   You didn't answer my question.

Well this is cool. MN AG Keith Ellison's son, and Minneapolis City Council member Jeremiah Ellison declares his support for ANTIFA.

"I hereby declare, officially, my support for ANTIFA

Unless someone can prove to me ANTIFA is behind the burning of black and immigrant owned businesses in my ward, I’ll keep focusing on stopping the white power terrorist THE ARE ACTUALLY ATTACKING US!"

So it's not enough to say "I don't think it's ANTIFA." Instead, you have to support them because you're sure it's white supremacists - even though there isn't any more proof it's them than Antifa.

I'm calling a real estate agent and getting out of here. :loco:
"ANTIFA" just means "antifascist" Andy. There is no centralized authority, no organization. You're being more than a bit ridiculous here.

Well, a protest has to be public or else no one cares. If he went out and protested on the weekends on his front lawn, it is not like a news crew would be sent out to televise it. There is discussion on this very football forum about changes to policing, so obviously protesting has to grab our attention or else it is easy to just change the channel and ignore it. I mentioned this earlier in this thread, so just quoting myself from some amount of pages back:

It is always the same thing of "well, if they did it the OTHER way I would be all for it". Why can't they just peacefully demonstrate? <Peaceful demonstration> No, not like that. It does not even have to do with protests, it is the same false "I am just an independent who does not like what they are doing, if only they did it the other way you would see how unbiased I am".
There is nothing that could be done that people would not complain about. People saying that if they only protested peacefully they would be supportive are only saying that because it is a false choice, and if they were peacefully protesting there would still be complaints and comments about how they are against the protest, but if they did it some other way they would be all for it. Eventually you follow that logic to the end of the line and it turns out that for some, no protest or disruption is acceptable. 

All I know, from 30 years of watching this ####, is that we haven't had these kinds of protests and riots and looting without a black guy being beaten or killed by police first.

Maybe it makes you uncomfortable to see all the things blacks tried to tell you in the 60s, 70s, 80s (and hundreds of years before that) proved true over and over the second everyone had a camera available to them, but if you want to keep the peace?  Work to make sure cops stop murdering black guys.

A lot of people I know didn't like it.  They weren't mad that it was a protest.  They were mad they turned on a football game and got what they viewed as politics.  The NFL is entertainment.  Some people just want a reason to be mad and will be mad no matter what.  But a lot of the NFL frustration was--people were turning in for football and getting other stuff.  
It did not feel like there was that much offense about the kneeling when it first started until they were told to be offended by Fox News and Rush Limbaugh and President Trump. It was manufactured outrage, just people waiting to be told what to think.

"ANTIFA" just means "antifascist" Andy. There is no centralized authority, no organization. You're being more than a bit ridiculous here.
Its very organized in many cities like Portland and Austin. I've seen it first hand, when my daughter's friend was mis-identified and got harrassed at work and at home and had to move away from Austin,

Here is the handbook:

http://archive.is/56qIE

Make noteof how they want to be anonymous and infiltrate other social warrior groups. A few have asked here "show proof of Antifa" .... thats part of their plan during these riots.

Well was there any looting after the one a few weeks ago? I have no idea how close today's protests were to any places looted over the past few days. But it seems like authorities gave protesters of all shapes and sizes the benefit of the doubt. But these round of protests clearly crossed the line. Now it may just be a few bad apples but that argument goes both ways. Unfortunately, a few rioters in a protest make it a public issue since they do it under the cover of 'peaceful protesting.' 

I don't disagree the sight of armed white protesters storming the Michigan capital vs this guy spending a counterfeit $20 and the respective results are jarring. But the discussion at this point has moved on past that. Unfortunately, we need to get the country under control before we can move forward. Unless people think this is acceptable which does seem like a few folks. 
I have posted this a few times before.  In Michigan it is "legal' to open carry any type of weapon in the Capital building.  Hard to believe but true.  That is why the State Police could do nothing about it.   Pretty sure that a new law will be in place soon but as of now it is legal.

"A person has the right to carry a weapon inside the building.  "As long as the firearm is not concealed"

Bizarre..open carry legal, concealed not legal.

It did not feel like there was that much offense about the kneeling when it first started until they were told to be offended by Fox News and Rush Limbaugh and President Trump. It was manufactured outrage, just people waiting to be told what to think.
I talked to a lot of people who said they didn't watch football for that.  I think a lot of Americans follow politics loosely and don't care what Trump tells them.  They just don't want politics with their sports.  

James, Jordan, Watt, Kaep, Trevor Lawrence, Dwane Casey, Doc Rivers, Shaq, Harbaugh....this list is infinite.  We can basically google just about ANY athlete, coach, organization and see them speaking against violence.

and everyone agree's with that 

so why is it when police treat other races unethically and brutally etc .... why doesn't that hit the news/media?  why when the victims are white/yellow/blue/purple/brown etc doesn't cities riot/loot ?

truth is - a small % of police are people who are violent/mean/evil and nobody should accept that and we should all demand they go away ... and a small % of protestors are people who are violent/mean/evil and nobody should accept that and we should all demand they go away too

why can't we do both ?
Sure, as long as we realize that since one begets the other, the police need to make sweeping changes first.

James, Jordan, Watt, Kaep, Trevor Lawrence, Dwane Casey, Doc Rivers, Shaq, Harbaugh....this list is infinite.  We can basically google just about ANY athlete, coach, organization and see them speaking against violence.
These guys are speaking out against the looters and rioters?  Not just the police brutality?

Come on. That's just disingenuous. 
No, it isn't. Show me the roving packs of "ANTIFA" that are around MN. I'll wait, and keep waiting, because they don't exist. There were 3 "ANTIFA" on Unicorn Riot last night at George Floyd's memorial who he talked to. They were three pasty, overweight white people chilling in a car at the Speedway gas station on the corner. They had a German Antifa flag and were happy to talk to anyone that came around. I highly doubt those three had the cardiovascular health to burn some calories, much less a good chunk of the city.

Oh man, this is wrong.

There were Twitter accounts for ANTIFA Portland, and ANTIFA other cities.  There is an ANTIFA reddit that listed all of the major cities protesting and gathering times.  I think some people are blinding themselves to the reality of ANTIFA because of Trump. 

They call themselves ANTIFA or "antifiscist," but really they're just terrible people.  Just because you're named something doesn't mean that's your actual purpose.  A white supremacy group could name themselves "Friends of Black America,"  It doesn't mean that they're actually their friends.  

ANTIFA tries to create the illusion that if you don't support them--you do support fascism.  I don't support fascism.  I don't support what these people are doing.  It's not the dichotomy that they want you to believe it is.

Sure, as long as we realize that since one begets the other, the police need to make sweeping changes first.
And that it doesn't matter that it may be a small percentage that are bad cops...when the structure ends up defending them...again, look at the post from the beginning of this, the quote on the last page where I linked to mcintyre's post...the explanation from the city was to claim the cops noticed him having a medical issue and called the ambulance...that he was loaded into the ambulance and died a short time later.  Just a complete fabrication...and this happens quite often.  Its the departments doing this consistently that have created as much of the outrage as the bad cops...a complete and total mistrust (for good reason).

So beating, killing, stealing, and burning stores of people is the way to make those changes?   Why don't they go burn a police station or a courthouse or beat a cop first?   The owner of Starbucks, the shoe store, or the phone store isn't killing innocent black people.

One reason why celebrities don't say things is due to The Dixie Chicks. Taylor Swift mentioned this fact in her documentary and Swift was slow to act in 2018... or, not slow, but hesitant to say anything political. With new revelations from the NFL exec about Kap, people subconsciously stay quiet, in an almost bribe, because their careers could go poof due to a tweet, song, phrase, commercial.

No, it isn't. Show me the roving packs of "ANTIFA" that are around MN. I'll wait, and keep waiting, because they don't exist. There were 3 "ANTIFA" on Unicorn Riot last night at George Floyd's memorial who he talked to. They were three pasty, overweight white people chilling in a car at the Speedway gas station on the corner. They had a German Antifa flag and were happy to talk to anyone that came around. I highly doubt those three had the cardiovascular health to burn some calories, much less a good chunk of the city.
That's not even the debate. Whether or not Antifa is actually in Minneapolis is not relevant (to this argument). 

Jeremiah Ellison directly stated his support for Antifa. He didn't equivocate about it. He took the time to make his support known in no uncertain terms. And not only that, he labeled the rioters as "white supremicists" without any more proof. 

I find it so hard to believe there are outside agents, and yet there are many reports contradicting this belief.

Severe partisanship is a sickness. It creates an atmosphere of political compromise = ethical compromise, and people use it as a moral high ground. It can indeed be seen on both sides.

I'm disappointed these agents may have accomplished their goals of taking some of the focus from the meaning of the protests, though I stand steadfast to not let them be forgotten.

That's not even the debate. Whether or not Antifa is actually in Minneapolis is not relevant (to this argument). 

Jeremiah Ellison directly stated his support for Antifa. He didn't equivocate about it. He took the time to make his support known in no uncertain terms. And not only that, he labeled the rioters as "white supremicists" without any more proof. 
An official at last night's 11pm press conference confirmed the presence of white supremacist organizations and posters/literature that they had collected around the city. When asked about Antifa being behind the fires, he replied "I have heard those reports, but I have no confirmation on them." 

I understand criticism for someone jumping to conclusions prematurely -- I'm probably doing it too right now, we don't yet know who is getting arrested driving these license plate free cars filled with gasoline. Maybe I'll be wrong. But right now, there is very little confirmed evidence of the right wing boogeyman being the cause, while there is some evidence that its the left wing boogeyman. Maybe it isn't either. But I'm never going to criticize some for saying that they're "antifascist." Never going to happen. It's a foundational part of my psyche to be against fascism, and I wish that was true for more people.

If you think that, then the right wing media machine has already won and we're already lost. No way we're having an election this November at this rate.
It's not gaslighting, but ANTIFA is real.  They're not just "Good citizens against Fascism" as they'd have you believe.  

I find it so hard to believe there are outside agents, and yet there are many reports contradicting this belief.

Severe partisanship is a sickness. It creates an atmosphere of political compromise = ethical compromise, and people use it as a moral high ground. It can indeed be seen on both sides.

I'm disappointed these agents may have accomplished their goals of taking some of the focus from the meaning of the protests, though I stand steadfast to not let them be forgotten.
Im not even sure its partisanship....they may be more left aligned or right aligned...but I don't think its partisanship that drives much of it...its a want for chaos and division.  I share in that same disappointment.

If that's the case, then he should probably address those people specifically.  Most of us -- including something approaching 100% of the people in this thread -- are totally fine with protests.
I've actually been thinking quit a bit about this post over the past hour or so since I read it.  It caused me to seriously ask myself, am I totally fine with the protests?  Sure, it's easy to say I'm fine with them when they're somewhere else and I'm not the least bit inconvenienced.  But I have to admit, I've found myself annoyed when there is a protest in my area that complicates my commute to work (for many years I worked downtown near City Hall).  Yes, adding a measly 10 minutes to my commute caused annoyance rather than introspection about the purpose of the protest.  And what if I was a business owner open to the public in the area of the protest?  No doubt my business would likely be impacted.  Are my regular customers going to want to cross a picket line in order to buy coffee or do a print job or fill their prescription?  Would I be "totally fine" with them then?  I know that you have already commented that the situations are "different" but your response to Colin Kaepernick's peaceful protest was to state "I do not need a lecture on the subject when I sit down to watch a football game.  Not going to apologize for that."  Frankly, I can't imagine a less inconveniencing protest - it doesn't delay or interfere with the game, it lasts mere seconds and you don't even have to watch it - and yet you complain.  And I don't mean this to be a personal slight on you at all - indeed, it's caused me to reflect on my own behaviors.  I have to admit that I'm guilty of virtue signaling and proclaiming support for these protests, but how would I feel if I was affected or inconvenienced by them?  Would I say "I do not need a lecture when I'm on my evening commute?"  I have before.  Perhaps these protests we are now experiencing wouldn't be as combative or involve as many criminal acts if the prior peaceful protests were actually effective in getting people to stop what they are doing and reflect on the message.  I think we all can play a part in that.  I know for sure that I can do better. 

An official at last night's 11pm press conference confirmed the presence of white supremacist organizations and posters/literature that they had collected around the city. When asked about Antifa being behind the fires, he replied "I have heard those reports, but I have no confirmation on them." 

I understand criticism for someone jumping to conclusions prematurely -- I'm probably doing it too right now, we don't yet know who is getting arrested driving these license plate free cars filled with gasoline. Maybe I'll be wrong. But right now, there is very little confirmed evidence of the right wing boogeyman being the cause, while there is some evidence that its the left wing boogeyman. Maybe it isn't either. But I'm never going to criticize some for saying that they're "antifascist." Never going to happen. It's a foundational part of my psyche to be against fascism, and I wish that was true for more people.
I'm also against Fascism.  But if I started causing explosions and attacking people in the name of stopping Fascism, I'd be a criminal.  That's ANTIFA.  Just because they chose the name doesn't mean they're good people or that that's how they should be judged.

I asked the question about Antifa in here yesterday and didn't really get a response.  The web doesn't have anything conclusive either.

Trying to use common sense and what info I've gained from watching way too much of the protest from yesterday.

I do think there is an Antifa "cause" and the organization exists, but I think it's kind of loose.  To what degree is the question.

Their "tactics" are pretty crappy though.  I saw one guy that got arrested.  All he did was walk up to a cop car and start hitting it.  This isn't rocket science and he didn't receive "Al Qaeda" level training to hit a cop car.  Same thing with setting fires.  If this loose affiliation of Antifa guys are the ones setting the fires, again...this isn't difficult to do.

So angry young people using a disturbance as a reason to suddenly come out and make the protests worse than they otherwise woudl be.  To me that just screams a loose affiliation where the opportunists spread their ideology.

But is there any proof of tight organization?  Advanced tactics/training?  Is there proof that these groups are being paid and organized for a specific purpose?  

I haven't seen any yet.  Right now, I think we're just calling all angry white guys dressed in black Antifa regardless of how "affiliated" they might be to the Antifa group.

We're not even debating the same thing here. 

Of course Ellison could say he believes it's more likely to be white supremacists than Antifa. 

But he can do that without stating SUPPORT for Antifa. 

Now about misusing the term "fascist"...

Users who are viewing this thread