What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Another killing at the hands of the Police (4 Viewers)

It's un-editorialized reality though (for right or wrong). I'm sorry the truth hurts to see with your own eyes. T&P.  Seems kind of snowflakey to not be able to deal with the reality of what's going on. 

(also this never actually happened, I've had the stream on from start to finish every night from start to finish, you're literally just making #### up)
No, it did happen. I have watched the stream a lot myself.

It was a random girl that grabbed the megaphone and yelled “the only good cop is a dead cop”

But I don’t see how that’s the twitch guys fault, or why you’d turn it off.  It’s reality

Last edited by a moderator:
Gassing Americas peacefully protesting, to walk across a street to hold a Bible upside down for a photo opp is a bad look for some Americans. 
For most Americans.  BTW Esper has to go.  If he’s that gullible that “he didn’t know”, he shouldn’t be in charge.  

Lots of good news this morning. 

1. the protests haven’t stopped at all. In fact the protestors seem more determined than ever. Somebody just asked if we’ve solved racial issues yet. More than before, some of us are trying. 

2. The riots, looting and vandalism HAVE died down. Whether it’s Antifa, white supremacists, or local punks looking to get free stuff, they’re getting tired and the police are getting more effective without behaving badly. 

3. Despite my fears that this law and order stuff would help Trump, it hasn’t. Only 33% of voters approve of how he is handling this. 

Per usual, trump got in his own way. The protests were getting out of control.  The national guard was probably the right move.  But he executed it poorly.

Its hard to predict crowd behavior but I feel like the protests are on the way down now.  Trump will claim his speech was the turning point.  In the end, I think he overstepped his bounds and lost just enough voters to ensure he won’t get re-elected.  That made for tv moment was just a bit too scary for most people. 

I haven’t been able to find the full video of the people praying together in Houston’s third ward, but it is pretty amazing. You need to see the whole video that shows the prayer of both the white people gatherEd and the black people gathered. I wonder if there are those who will react negatively to white people on their knees asking for forgiveness for decades of racism. I hope not. 

Any peaceful protestor that stays out past curfew is complicit, providing cover for the anarchists.  Protest, be heard and then go home. 
Would you feel the same way if, after this all calms down and COVID numbers start going up, the States decide that in order to stop the spread of COVID-19, they need to implement a mandatory curfew, and if you are caught outside after curfew, the police will violently arrest you? 

What about no curfew at all, what if to stop the spread of COVID, nobody is allowed outside of their house except to go to "necessary" business. And the police armed with military grade weapons can stop you and ask the purpose for you being outside?

We cool with all that too? 

Would you feel the same way if, after this all calms down and COVID numbers start going up, the States decide that in order to stop the spread of COVID-19, they need to implement a mandatory curfew, and if you are caught outside after curfew, the police will violently arrest you? 

What about no curfew at all, what if to stop the spread of COVID, nobody is allowed outside of their house except to go to "necessary" business. And the police armed with military grade weapons can stop you and ask the purpose for you being outside?

Well that's different, no one can tell us what to do!

I don't remember if it was this thread or another that I mentioned protests we were going to this week, but we had a local protest last night (another tomorrow)...very peaceful (sans some :pokey:  that did show up as promised in their FB posts).  Yeah, they had signs and yeah I was disgusted by the complete lack of self awareness once again, but I sort of expect that now.  We are just to selfish in general.  Police all around this area seem to be "getting it" and helping organize.  That's going a long way in calming things down.  For that I am grateful.  We've had organized protests just about every day this week in different areas of central Florida and no major issues.  

I don't remember if it was this thread or another that I mentioned protests we were going to this week, but we had a local protest last night (another tomorrow)...very peaceful (sans some :pokey:  that did show up as promised in their FB posts).  Yeah, they had signs and yeah I was disgusted by the complete lack of self awareness once again, but I sort of expect that now.  We are just to selfish in general.  Police all around this area seem to be "getting it" and helping organize.  That's going a long way in calming things down.  For that I am grateful.  We've had organized protests just about every day this week in different areas of central Florida and no major issues.  
We had a protest at the local mall the other day, and there was apparently a flyer making the rounds in FB calling for a riot as well. Turns out that no riot got started and everything stayed peaceful.

I saw the same thing at the one I attended yesterday.  One protester threw something at the cops and he was immediately shut down by the others.  The cops did a really good job of not escalating anything. 

I haven’t been able to find the full video of the people praying together in Houston’s third ward, but it is pretty amazing. You need to see the whole video that shows the prayer of both the white people gatherEd and the black people gathered. I wonder if there are those who will react negatively to white people on their knees asking for forgiveness for decades of racism. I hope not. 
Here’s the first part:

https://youtu.be/So_PC3rHrXA

The video at this link shows part of the prayer in response:

https://www.click2houston.com/video/news/2020/06/01/white-people-kneel-ask-forgiveness-from-the-black-community-in-third-ward-pt-2-/

I saw the same thing at the one I attended yesterday.  One protester threw something at the cops and he was immediately shut down by the others.  The cops did a really good job of not escalating anything. 
Nothing thrown here....racial slurs and some pretty disrespectful signs...the signs from "both sides" though.  None of it directed at cops.

Totally agree and this seems to be part of what the protesters are looking for - some sort of recognition on the part of the police that they have a problem. There was video of a protest not far from me  posted on FB that had a street full of protesters facing off against a group of police. They were chanting "take a knee" for several minutes. The guy taking the video could be heard a few times saying "don't do it, don't do it". Eventually the group of police approached the protesters, looked at each other, then all took a knee. Cheers, hugs...just overall happiness...and the crowd broke up.

If covid “protestors” are destroying cities by smashing everything in site, burning police cars, looting businesses, physically attacking people trying to protect their livelihoods including women etc....then yes, curfews would make sense 

If the virus was as bad as you say, smart people would stay home without asking.  But since you bring it up:

OMG we are all going to die!

Meh, no big deal.

Now that's hypocrisy.   :lol:

If the virus was as bad as you say, smart people would stay home without asking.  But since you bring it up:

OMG we are all going to die!

Meh, no big deal.

Now that's hypocrisy.   :lol:
None of that is hypocrisy though...and you failed to answer the questions asked.

You see...sometimes...even with something is important to keep safe, that there are fears about this virus...some things people find bigger than that.  For some that was having their voice heard.  The Ozarks picture...I think most people that are for being safe, for masks and social distancing and so on...spoke out against that gathering.  The need to "party" and be selfish (because that is what that was) is not the same as protest for the reasons being protested (again, this is not defending the violence and looting).

Calling that hypocrisy to try and score points and avoid what was being asked is pretty bad though.  

If covid “protestors” are destroying cities by smashing everything in site, burning police cars, looting businesses, physically attacking people trying to protect their livelihoods including women etc....then yes, curfews would make sense 
Sure...but the question wasn't about just those destroying things.  It was about saying that even those out peacefully past curfew are complicit and giving cover to the law breakers.  

Nah, they are more subtle... just spreading a plague that can lead to hospitalizations or death to people trying to protect their livelihoods. 

Sure...but the question wasn't about just those destroying things.  It was about saying that even those out peacefully past curfew are complicit and giving cover to the law breakers.  
Those that are destroying things are the only reason for the curfews 

"The only way to end this insurrection is the overwhelming display of force.” Senator Tom Cotton (R)-Arkansas  :yawn: :yawn:
I don't like Tom Cotton at all, he scares the bejeebus out of me, but I think he's pretty smart. It's fascinating to watch him deliberately choose to follow the Trump strategy of authoritarianism just when the country is clearly demonstrating that it doesn't want any more of it. If Donald gets beat in November, Cotton's presidential aspirations are toast. Because that chit won't play in '24 and beyond.

I don't like Tom Cotton at all, he scares the bejeebus out of me, but I think he's pretty smart. It's fascinating to watch him deliberately choose to follow the Trump strategy of authoritarianism just when the country is clearly demonstrating that it doesn't want any more of it. If Donald gets beat in November, Cotton's presidential aspirations are toast. Because that chit won't play in '24 and beyond.
His, Conryn, Rubio, and Cruz's comments were pretty bad.  That Rubio and Cruz so often carry the water for Trump is just sad.

I didn't realize there were covid curfews active. Can you provide more info?
Social distancing and gathering in large crowds>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>being out past 8 PM if there were a curfew.   HTH

And the curfew is about as flimsy as a strawman as you cant get. They should use it as a horrible example in debate 101 classes.  The virus can't tell time.  

:lol:   And yes "Stay at Home" would be considered one large around the clock curfew.  

Yes...I get that.  But that was not the point of where the conversation was...it was a response to stating anyone out even peacefully was complicit.
Right

If they’re out past curfew and the police are with them instead of stopping the destruction aren’t they complicit?

Can we please stop conflating protestors with rioters and looters?  Is that something we can all agree on at least?
No. We can’t. 
Those that want to see Trump re-elected cannot separate the two because it’s not to their interest to do so. They’ll never come out and actually say they’re the same, and Trump himself will make face-saving comments like “I’m on the side of the protestors” while attacking them with gas at the exact same time. But they’ll hint, they’ll imply, they’ll conflate the two and hope that sooner or later the rest of us will as well. 

Right

If they’re out past curfew and the police are with them instead of stopping the destruction aren’t they complicit?
No. 
They’re peacefully breaking the law, and willing to risk punishment for it, the way Martin Luther King Jr was willing to be arrested in Selma and Birmingham. But they are no way complicit for violent crimes that are committed against their wishes and without their consent. 

David Frum @davidfrum 24m

Just returned from a foot tour of White House area. Huge police presence. Security perimeter north of the White House has been extended to I Street - and extended in a way that seems almost intentionally menacing: shoulder to shoulder riot police.

Here, for example, is 16th & Eye Street (photo at link)

Vermont Avenue and Eye Street (photo at link)

Police are carrying guns that fire paint pellets or tear gas (sorry - pepper balls! crucial!)

Even at 10 am, it was already warming into a hot day in DC. Police are standing in beating sun, drawn into ready formation, facing ... nobody and nothing in particular.

We walked south on 15th Street. (Good news, lobbyists: Joe's Stone Crab is safe.) - (photo at link)

(To reader who asked: yes, the police are from Bureau of Prisons. They carried BOP gear and insignia. And - no disrespect - they didn't have soldierly bearing.)

https://twitter.com/davidfrum/status/1268193506750799875

Seriously, we’d rather bicker about curfews than make a single comment on this?  Not trying to shut down debate, and lord knows that I’m as guilty of arguing about minutiae as anyone, but this is the type of thing that will actually help us heal and get to a better place in this country. 

Seriously, we’d rather bicker about curfews than make a single comment on this?  Not trying to shut down debate, and lord knows that I’m as guilty of arguing about minutiae as anyone, but this is the type of thing that will actually help us heal and get to a better place in this country. 
Which is probably why nobody that is concerned about the curfews wants to comment on this. 

:goodposting:

I've tried to insert positive observations I am seeing around my area and even things I have experienced myself.  I don't get it.  This is the ONE TIME I can remember where 99.999% of us agree and we continue to focus on the 0.001% we don't.  If people wonder why things don't change quick enough in this country, this is EXACTLY why.

Can we please stop conflating protestors with rioters and looters?  Is that something we can all agree on at least?
The thing is, it’s difficult to know what’s what in that regard. Some think all legit protesters are peaceful and the rioters are all paid agitators. And others think the rioters are the alleged peaceful protesters. It’s impossible for anyone to really know how much overlap there is. But political agendas must rule the day!!!!

You're fighting a good fight bb, but it's not worth your effort.  This is the only thread I think I've ever come to the PSF expressly to see.  I stay out of this forum 99.99% of the time, because it's such cesspool.  I thought maybe I'd get thoughtful perspective on the events of the last week.  I guess I did, a tiny bit.  Mostly I regret the time I wasted reading all of this trolling, arguing, and bickering.  Take care, I'm out.

Just watched.  I'm not religious.  But that was powerful.  And important.

Social distancing and gathering in large crowds>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>being out past 8 PM if there were a curfew.   HTH

And the curfew is about as flimsy as a strawman as you cant get. They should use it as a horrible example in debate 101 classes.  The virus can't tell time.  
The initial question asked why should we use tear gas and force to police this curfew, but other curfew is an encroachment on freedom? Your reply was this conduct is different because it causes harm to others, which JMHO misses the point of the covid curfew. Both curfews sought to protect society from a threat. It's not as complicated of a question as you're making it.

The thing is, it’s difficult to know what’s what in that regard. Some think all legit protesters are peaceful and the rioters are all paid agitators. And others think the rioters are the alleged peaceful protesters. It’s impossible for anyone to really know how much overlap there is. But political agendas must rule the day!!!!
Yeah, I don't buy it.  If you are "protesting" by "rioting" you're a rioter.  If you are "protesting" by "looting" you're a looter.  Those are merely excuses people are coming up with to do the bad things they want to do all the while knowing they are bad things to do.  I guess that makes them feel better about themselves?  Who knows.  I do know making it any more gray than what I outlined here is absurdly lazy and obviously partisan bull####.  It's not difficult.

It really isn’t that difficult. Peaceful protestors are the ones who match but don’t commit acts of violence.  

Users who are viewing this thread