What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Another killing at the hands of the Police (7 Viewers)

I would reread this part a few times and let what you're saying sink in.  It doesn't come across really well.

Let's assume those officers did absolutely nothing wrong and were wrongfully terminated. It is still MILES and MILES apart from someone LOSING THEIR LIFE. 

It doesn't just "suck". It's well beyond sucking. 

Now, I already acknowledged that the DA probably mishandled the firing of the officers if the reason was "use of a deadly weapon" with a taser. But that can be rectified. They can find another job.  That's the problem with killing someone. You can't undo it after the fact. It's the ultimate punishment. 
you're right. Typing that myself felt a bit wrong. No point in re-phrasing, but I hope you know what I meant.

You trying to tell me he wasn't just there trying to break up a fight? Come on now, Ben Crump never makes stuff up. 
The initial 911 call, which has been released, was his girlfriend (wife?) calling on Blake. I forgot the exact circumstances, but it was something about Blake shouldn't be at the house and wasn't giving her keys back. Not sure if it was car keys or house keys. A fairly typical domestic in lower income communities.

you're right. Typing that myself felt a bit wrong. No point in re-phrasing, but I hope you know what I meant.
Yes, I got your point. And don't disagree with what you were trying to say.

Unfortunately, all of this stuff bothers me because there's too much unneeded loss of life. This includes citizens and police officers. When we start trying to justify any of it, whether it's because someone should comply or because of their history or because of just poor decisions, it just feels hollow, as if these lives are worth less and just don't matter as much. For some, somehow it's ok because it's one less criminal on the street. And while I can understand why some feel that way, especially when most of us don't break laws and would follow commands and don't out ourselves in those situations, I think it's wrong and we need to work harder as a society to protect life, even when it doesn't seem as worthy of saving. And I'm not trying to promote this at the expense of police officer's lives at all. I want them to go home to their families as well. 

Just another unfortunate circumstance of too many guns in this country. So there's no simple solution. But we need to keep trying.

stopped here.
I understand the distrust there, but even if you don’t believe it one should at least read it to hear “the other side”.  I didn’t initially believe all of the story being told by Blake’s attorney, but I at least listened to what was stated.  That way, when evidence (videos, audio recordings of calls, actual evidence) is brought forth you can see who’s telling the truth and who’s full of it.  I’m sure more evidence is still to come out.

Last edited by a moderator:
I didn’t initially believe all of the story being told by Blake’s attorney, but I at least listened to what was stated
I don't buy Blake's attorney's story either.

But, I don't need to buy either side to know that police should not be shooting anyone 7 times in the back.

But, I don't need to buy either side to know that police should not be shooting anyone 7 times in the back.
Not sure that’s true.  If police were able to stop a mass school shooting by doing so I think we’d all be ok with it - especially the parents of the kids at the school.  Now that wasn’t the case here, obviously.  Me personally, I’d like to collect as much information about the situation as I can.  Some will be hard evidence (like the videos), some will be complete BS (as statements often are).  You piece it together with the information you have at hand.   

Also, aren’t officers trained that if they’re going to shoot once, they shoot all the bullets they have?  We should be able to have a reasonable and rational discussion about when deadly force is in fact justified.  To prevent shoot shooting, yes.  To stop a jay walker - no.  Lots of grey in the middle.  If other non lethal attempts (numerous, apparently) had been attempted, if reasonable verbal commands (by both police and bystanders) aren’t adhered to, and if the police feel either their lives or the lives of others are in potential danger - at some point that use of force can and should be justified.  Were the lives of the children in potential danger?  Would Blake have used the weapon in the car (as he apparently stated he would), or even used the car itself as a weapon?

Yeah cause why would you want you hear both sides? 

I always believe there's 3 sides to every story. Side A, Side B and then the truth. The trick is to determine which side is closer to the truth. But if you refuse to listen to one side it kinda makes it impossible to make that determination.

Not sure that’s true.  If police were able to stop a mass school shooting by doing so I think we’d all be ok with it - especially the parents of the kids at the school.  Now that wasn’t the case here, obviously.  Me personally, I’d like to collect as much information about the situation as I can.  Some will be hard evidence (like the videos), some will be complete BS (as statements often are).  You piece it together with the information you have at hand.   

Also, aren’t officers trained that if they’re going to shoot once, they shoot all the bullets they have?  We should be able to have a reasonable and rational discussion about when deadly force is in fact justified.  To prevent shoot shooting, yes.  To stop a jay walker - no.  Lots of grey in the middle.  If other non lethal attempts (numerous, apparently) had been attempted, if reasonable verbal commands (by both police and bystanders) aren’t adhered to, and if the police feel either their lives or the lives of others are in potential danger - at some point that use of force can and should be justified.  Were the lives of the children in potential danger?  Would Blake have used the weapon in the car (as he apparently stated he would), or even used the car itself as a weapon?
Btw, why couldn't the officer use a baton to neutralize him? He was standing behind him and close enough to have a hold of his shirt. Instead of shooting him 7 times, why not pull out his baton and hit him until another officer can help get him under control and in handcuffs?

At least with a beating, he is far more likely to recover than from a gun. 

Here's an example where a baton worked well

I watch that and see a reasonable amount of force (and non-lethal) to get the suspect under control. I also watch that and wish I would have seen the same thing in Kenosha.

I just found this when watching the video above. Sad, tragic story.

28 year old shot and killed by NJ officer

Here's the story on it

Few thoughts:

--From those videos, those officers were incredibly respectful and helpful to him during those stops. An example for others.

--A definite breakdown when his friend called 911 to warn about him having some kind of sudden mental breakdown. There needs to be a way to convey that to officers that ended up stopping him. But I understand that may be very difficult to accomplish

--The officers seemed to recognize something wasn't right with him. It's just another reminder that not every person police interact with are of sound mind. And when that's the case, it makes complying difficult. Rational decision making is unlikely to happen

--At least from what we can see/hear in that video, it's hard to fault that officer for shooting him. That was clearly a dangerous situation. Maybe there was a way out, but I'm not going to second guess his decision based on what we can see. I think that's just an unfortunate, tragic shooting. 

Btw, why couldn't the officer use a baton to neutralize him? He was standing behind him and close enough to have a hold of his shirt. Instead of shooting him 7 times, why not pull out his baton and hit him until another officer can help get him under control and in handcuffs?

I watch that and see a reasonable amount of force (and non-lethal) to get the suspect under control. I also watch that and wish I would have seen the same thing in Kenosha.
I don’t think officers even carry batons anymore

Look, I don’t mean to say that Blake should’ve been shot 7 times in the back , but keyboard jockeys typing out what should have been done differently by the officers gets tiresome. 

These guys deserve to go home to their families after their shift and have to make split second life altering decisions. 

I feel it’s safe to say that had Mr Blake not literally FOUGHT with police he wouldn’t have been shot 🤷🏻‍♂️.

Why can’t that be what should have happened instead of 2nd guessing the officers?

--A definite breakdown when his friend called 911 to warn about him having some kind of sudden mental breakdown. There needs to be a way to convey that to officers that ended up stopping him. But I understand that may be very difficult to accomplish

--The officers seemed to recognize something wasn't right with him. It's just another reminder that not every person police interact with are of sound mind. And when that's the case, it makes complying difficult. Rational decision making is unlikely to happen
What would you have him do differently if this was known.

That was clearly a dangerous situation. Maybe there was a way out, but I'm not going to second guess his decision based on what we can see. I think that's just an unfortunate, tragic shooting. 
When you say you're not going to second guess the decision its pretty clear what you mean is that you tried to second guess the decision as much as possible...but you couldn't.

Last edited by a moderator:
I don’t think officers even carry batons anymore

Look, I don’t mean to say that Blake should’ve been shot 7 times in the back , but keyboard jockeys typing out what should have been done differently by the officers gets tiresome. 

These guys deserve to go home to their families after their shift and have to make split second life altering decisions. 

I feel it’s safe to say that had Mr Blake not literally FOUGHT with police he wouldn’t have been shot 🤷🏻‍♂️.

Why can’t that be what should have happened instead of 2nd guessing the officers?
Also, what gets tiresome is watching people get killed during police encounters.

If you're tired of reading "keyboard jockeys" discuss it, then maybe a thread entitled "Another killing at the hands of the police" isn't the thread for you.

It also gets tiresome hearing "if only he complied".....

Also, what gets tiresome is watching people get killed during police encounters.

If you're tired of reading "keyboard jockeys" discuss it, then maybe a thread entitled "Another killing at the hands of the police" isn't the thread for you.

It also gets tiresome hearing "if only he complied".....
My bad, you’re right. Guys that have warrants out and get the police called on them again for a separate incident should definitely not comply with the officers when they show up.

Have a wonderful day !   👍

What would you have him do differently if this was known.

When you say you're not going to second guess the decision its pretty clear what you mean is that you tried to second guess the decision and as much as possible...but you couldn't.
1)  I don't think there's anything that officer specifically could have done differently.  What could have happened, however, is communication between all the different encounters throughout that morning.  Backup could have been called in earlier.  And, in a perfect world, someone with mental health training. 

Some tragedies can't be avoided.  This just seems like one of those where it wasn't the guy's fault who died as he seemed to be suffering from a potential psychotic break and it's not the officer's fault who was trying to keep him safe and seemed to escalate appropriately.  This is one of those instances where it would be nice to look at and try to find a way how to improve interactions with someone with mental illness.  But, with everything else going on, this is probably a discussion best had at a later date when other things are fixed first.

2)  No, that's not what I meant at all.  I watched that video and throughout it never once thought anything was inappropriate.  The article I linked was really well written and gave a good timeline.  But even after reading that, I didn't come away thinking the officers did anything wrong.

Yeah it does, doesn't it? There's a solution to this though
There is.  But not everyone is going to comply.  It shouldn't equal a death sentence, though, unless an officer's life or someone else's life is in immediate danger.  "If only he complied" isn't an excuse for that. 

There are times when police killings are justified.  I linked one above that I just responded about.  And that man even had a reason not to comply.

There is.  But not everyone is going to comply.  It shouldn't equal a death sentence, though, unless an officer's life or someone else's life is in immediate danger.  "If only he complied" isn't an excuse for that. 

There are times when police killings are justified.  I linked one above that I just responded about.  And that man even had a reason not to comply.
I edited my above post to include a video. I found it eye opening. Its easy to sit on our comfy couches and criticize decisions.

1)  What could have happened, however, is communication between all the different encounters throughout that morning.  Backup could have been called in earlier.  And, in a perfect world, someone with mental health training.

2)  No, that's not what I meant at all.  I watched that video and throughout it never once thought anything was inappropriate.  The article I linked was really well written and gave a good timeline.  But even after reading that, I didn't come away thinking the officers did anything wrong.
I think your point on #1 is fair, I just have a hard time applying this in any realistic form in practice.

I didnt read the article but if someone called and gave the police details around a friend having a breakdown that is relevant.  The hard part is...do you expect that in each of these encounters to provide mental health counseling on the side of the road when someone gets pulled over for speeding?  Its easy to say that after an encounter turns deadly but you cant have counselors go out for every traffic stop of a distraught individual or some history of mental illness..

How long would that even take to have a counsel meet them at the side of the road, unless we have counselors just riding in patrol cars routinely.  The whole idea is a hard pitch.  The hardest part is that if they knew he was likely to have a breakdown and become violent they would have acted differently from the get go...which frankly may have saved his life and simultaneously resulted in a video here decrying him being cuffed for being black and weird.

I think your point on #1 is fair, I just have a hard time applying this in any realistic form in practice.

I didnt read the article but if someone called and gave the police details around a friend having a breakdown that is relevant.  The hard part is...do you expect that in each of these encounters to provide mental health counseling on the side of the road when someone gets pulled over for speeding?  Its easy to say that after an encounter turns deadly but you cant have counselors go out for every traffic stop of a distraught individual or some history of mental illness..

How long would that even take to have a counsel meet them at the side of the road, unless we have counselors just riding in patrol cars routinely.  The whole idea is a hard pitch.  The hardest part is that if they knew he was likely to have a breakdown and become violent they would have acted differently from the get go...which frankly may have saved his life and simultaneously resulted in a video here decrying him being cuffed for being black and weird.
I agree on #1

You should read the article.  Yes, a friend called and reported exactly that.  As for providing mental health counseling at the side of the road, we actually have mental health professionals available 24 hrs/day that can come to ERs to evaluate patients, hotlines, etc.  Now, the resources for that are lacking for sure, which is why part of the call for "defunding" is to direct more funds to mental health to fill those gaps.  And no, I agree, they can't just go out for every traffic stop.  But when combined with the phone call from the friend and, I believe, 4 stops that night in a short period of time, with dangerous behavior (pulled over twice for going over 100 mph), this is one of those situations where one could be dispatched to help out. 

I don't have any good answers to these questions yet.  But it's a great "case" to get some of those discussions going to see what could be improved or implemented. 

People laughed but Joe Biden may have had a good point when he said the police should shoot the perps in the legs.

People laughed but Joe Biden may have had a good point when he said the police should shoot the perps in the legs.
You know what else is a good point? Don’t put the police in a situation where they feel they must shoot you. 

Ideally, yes. But I’m referring to a situation in which a violent, armed criminal makes a police officer believes his, or someone else’s life is in imminent danger. How many shots should the officer be allowed to fire in order to eliminate the threat?

lol...it is that simple.  Parents should be teaching this to their children, right after they tell them not to eat dishwasher tabs
It’s not the kids fault for eating the dishwasher tabs. It’s the dishwasher tabs fault for poisoning the kid!

Blake is the one responsible for getting himself shot. Why are we even talking about this, much less cancelling games and acting all butthurt about it? 

There are bad shootings and examples of police brutality. I’ve watched some of the itt. It isn’t all based on racism either. 

Why is there so many lies involved in this movement and why does it only matter in election years?  Trayvon Martin initiated a physical confrontation with an armed, Hispanic jack###. Brown didn’t just have his hands up. Garner is the worst of the cases I’ve mentioned so far, but he didn’t die because he was choked. I agree Floyd was murdered, but he had every chance to just take a peaceful ride to jail. The guy in Atlanta pointed a “deadly weapon” at an officer. Let him run away is not an answer. 

You know what else is a good point? Don’t put the police in a situation where they feel they must shoot you. 
If only life were this simple we could start with this premise
It is pretty much exactly that simple. 

There definitely have been times where people are complying or are getting conflicting demands and bad things still happen, but those situations are pretty rare. 

Not sure the officer had one to use.  Many now use a taser as their non lethal weapon, rather than baton.  

“29-year-old Jacob Blake was legally forbidden from being on the property where he was ultimately shot. The police were called to the scene because he was breaking a restraining order, not because he was innocently breaking up a fight.

Blake was on said restraining order after he was accused in a criminal complaint, that was obtained by The Post, of breaking into the home and sexually assaulting the female resident. It detailed that he used his finger to digitally penetrate her body after which he sniffed it and said, “Smells like you’ve been with other men.”

The police were called to the residence becausehe was there”

Where did the “breaking up a fight” come from?

Those were Kenosha police, as stated by the video title itself - those were federal officers.  The other three videos you posted are specific to crowd control situations, and yes they are used there.  For everyday officers “working their beat” (is that the term?), I don’t believe they have them on themselves.

Ive (unfortunately) watched both Blake videos a few times myself in an effort to get clues of what happened.  I don’t see any baron like devices on any of the officers, though aren’t many of them now “retractable”?  If they didn’t have them in their persons at the time, what does it matter now?  “Hey, could you just hold on right there for a second so I can get something out of my squad car and come right back?”

satch said:
There are going to be some bad people who dumb things in the world man... that’s just life. Being a cop is a difficult job but it’s one all of these guys signed up for. 

Now, if they can’t do their jobs correctly, they need to either find a new job or figure out a way to be able to handle tense situations appropriately.

Sure, Blake wasn’t a great guy and there was plenty he could have done different to make the situation go smoother, but there was absolutely zero reason that cop needed to fire 7 shots. It’s a clear abuse of power and he needs to be charged with attempted manslaughter.

Users who are viewing this thread