What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Another killing at the hands of the Police (10 Viewers)

https://www.cbsnews.com/video/st-louis-police-officers-on-trial-for-beating-black-undercover-detective/#app

“St. Louis police officers on trial for beating Black undercover detective during protest

St. Louis police detective Luther Hall was brutally beaten while working undercover at a protest against police brutality in September 2017. Now three fellow officers are on trial for the assault, which they claim was a case of mistaken identify. One of the officers already pleaded guilty and admitted to lying on the stand. Lauren Trager, an investigative reporter with CBS affiliate KMOV-TV, joins CBSN AM's Anne-Marie Green to discuss the case”
Damn, that’s rough.

Chicago with its 4th cop shot in 12 days.  

https://www.complex.com/life/north-carolina-officials-investigating-disturbing-video-of-officers-k-9-treatment?utm_campaign=complexmag&utm_source=twitter.com&utm_medium=social

Hmmmmmm, the police department recommending that he resigns. Why so quickly? Have they looked into the dog’s criminal history? Maybe he was resisting the officer before the video came on and had it coming? Could he have been on drugs at the time causing him to act out of control?

“We’re good, no witnesses,” an onlooker can be heard saying in the video.

“Is your camera on?” another person asks.
Meh, whatever. I’m sure it was just one bad apple in that police department. 

Last edited by a moderator:
https://www.complex.com/life/north-carolina-officials-investigating-disturbing-video-of-officers-k-9-treatment?utm_campaign=complexmag&utm_source=twitter.com&utm_medium=social

Hmmmmmm, the police department recommending that he resigns. Why so quickly? Have they looked into the dog’s criminal history? Maybe he was resisting the officer before the video came on and had it coming? Could he have been on drugs at the time causing him to act out of control?

No, you're right, they're all bad 😬

Dog shouldn’t have resisted 🤷🏽‍♂️👀

he resigned apparently.  

No, you're right, they're all bad 😬
I'm not saying all cops are bad and I believe that's a very dangerous narrative to push. I don't really see that much outside of ANTIFA/far left though.

The 'one bad apple' narrative is a staple for people who always feel the need to defend cops. I think most reasonable people can agree now that it goes beyond that and there's a serious cultural problem within a lot of these police departments. I mean those other cops statements say it all. Some are more concerned with protecting their own and being exposed as a rat than actually doing the right thing.

I'm not saying all cops are bad and I believe that's a very dangerous narrative to push. I don't really see that much outside of ANTIFA/far left though.

The 'one bad apple' narrative is a staple for people who always feel the need to defend cops. I think most reasonable people can agree now that it goes beyond that and there's a serious cultural problem within a lot of these police departments.
I hate to do this, because I hate when other people do this...but can you show me where anyone has said "one bad apple" in this 283 page thread.

Its as silly as saying they are all bad.

What are there 1MM police officers in the US.  Pretty easy to do math and get 10,000 bad apples (1%).  Who would say its only one bad apple?  Not sure its only 10k either

Supporting prosecuting an officer that has potentially committed a crime does not equal being against broader reform.  But yes, its not also saying that the entire police force is corrupt.

TBH, there's a lot of nonsense on this forum but are people really saying that there is not possibility of cultural problems or that better policing should not be addressed.  IMO, the job creates psychological problems that need to be addressed (and in itself may need to limit the time allowed in certain policing functions).  I know we have some extreme folks on this board, on both sides, so maybe I'm missing the people burying their heads in the sand not wanting to do better.

Or maybe they are reacting to extreme posts with their own extreme posts?

The 'one bad apple' narrative is a staple for people who always feel the need to defend cops. I think most reasonable people can agree now that it goes beyond that and there's a serious cultural problem within a lot of these police departments. I mean those other cops statements say it all. Some are more concerned with protecting their own and being exposed as a rat than actually doing the right thing.
bingo.  its always dependent on the tone at the top(this goes for companies as well). I think too many times people think folks like myself hate all cops and i dont.  But depending on the jurisdiction that system they work in could be extremely problematic or racist, or violent or criminal, etc.  That is what i hate.  And the officers are going to end up falling in line with the orders coming down. Of course there are other forces at play as well that may impact certain cops more than others.

Sure maybe in some places there is only one bad apple.  But generally thats not the case and its leadership promoting this culture that leads to the #### we constantly see on TV. 

I hate to do this, because I hate when other people do this...but can you show me where anyone has said "one bad apple" in this 283 page thread.

Its as silly as saying they are all bad.

What are there 1MM police officers in the US.  Pretty easy to do math and get 10,000 bad apples (1%).  Who would say its only one bad apple?  Not sure its only 10k either

Supporting prosecuting an officer that has potentially committed a crime does not equal being against broader reform.  But yes, its not also saying that the entire police force is corrupt.

TBH, there's a lot of nonsense on this forum but are people really saying that there is not possibility of cultural problems or that better policing should not be addressed.  IMO, the job creates psychological problems that need to be addressed (and in itself may need to limit the time allowed in certain policing functions).  I know we have some extreme folks on this board, on both sides, so maybe I'm missing the people burying their heads in the sand not wanting to do better.

Or maybe they are reacting to extreme posts with their own extreme posts?
I don't think people mean literally 'one bad apple' when they say that phrase. I view it more as these people think there are just very few bad cops and instances of abuse + brutality are rare. So when they see an example of it, they just chalk it up to 'bad apple' excuse, which is essnetialy it barely happens and every department is bound to have 1 or 2 bad cops.

From a very quick search I don't see any bad apple references here, so maybe it's not necessarily people on this forum but it's a phrase I've heard a ton and it was even repeated by people in the last administration in regards to the George Floyd case:

Robert O'Brien (Trump's NSA):

We have got great law enforcement officers, not — not the few bad apples, like the officer [Derek Chauvin] that killed George Floyd. But we got a few bad apples that have given — given law enforcement a bad name.

I don't think people mean literally 'one bad apple' when they say that phrase. I view it more as these people think there are just very few bad cops and instances of abuse + brutality are rare. So when they see an example of it, they just chalk it up to 'bad apple' excuse, which is essnetialy it barely happens and every department is bound to have 1 or 2 bad cops.

From a very quick search I don't see any bad apple references here, so maybe it's not necessarily people on this forum but it's a phrase I've heard a ton and it was even repeated by people in the last administration in regards to the George Floyd case:

Robert O'Brien (Trump's NSA):
OK, they certainly don't mean one bad apple when they say a few bad apples either 😉

Some people will underplay the #, some people will overplay the #, some people aren't good at math.

There is a problem to solve though for sure.

OK, they certainly don't mean one bad apple when they say a few bad apples either 😉

Some people will underplay the #, some people will overplay the #, some people aren't good at math.

There is a problem to solve though for sure.
The problem is  that we are leaving out the rest of the statement.  Anyone that ever worked in produce knows that you quickly get the rotten stuff out of the basket or box or the whole lot of the fruit is trash.  That "One bad apple spoils the bunch".   And that is what happens when those police officers that we all should/would otherwise  be proud of close ranks around that bad apple.  They are all ruined.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/dc-md-va/2021/04/10/virginia-police-gunpoint-army-nazario/

https://twitter.com/JulianCastro/status/1380730817459187715

Another town going to pay 6 figure settlement because a couple of fat, cosplaying racists like to play Call of Duty.

Officer told the veteran in his new car he was 'fixin to ride the lightning'. 

Yeeehhaaww
SMH! When the driver said he was afraid to get out of the car, the officer said “you should be”

The officers also seemed to be yelling contradictory instructions to the driver as well. How is the driver supposed to keep his hands out the window where the officer can see them while unbuckling his seat belt to get out of the car?

I’m glad the driver didn’t try to follow those instructions because he would have been shot.

Officer told the veteran in his new car he was 'fixin to ride the lightning'

SMH! When the driver said he was afraid to get out of the car, the officer said “you should be”
So heartbreaking and disgusting.  What the hell is that guy (the army guy) supposed to do when faced with this.  He was literally told he should be afraid if he stepped out of his vehicle.  Sometimes police officers are faced with impossible hostile situations, it’s a terribly difficult job, but this was the antithesis of that and inexcusable.  

So heartbreaking and disgusting.  What the hell is that guy (the army guy) supposed to do when faced with this.  He was literally told he should be afraid if he stepped out of his vehicle.  Sometimes police officers are faced with impossible hostile situations, it’s a terribly difficult job, but this was the antithesis of that and inexcusable.  
Yep, completely disgusting.  

Yet another example for the "why is this so hard, just comply with the cops" crowd.  I get that its an extreme example her, but I don't think we can pretend it's an isolated event either.  

Yet another example for the "why is this so hard, just comply with the cops" crowd.  I get that its an extreme example her, but I don't think we can pretend it's an isolated event either.  
Yep, he’s fearful for a reason and purposely went to find a lighted area to pull over.  That’s so unbelievably disheartening. 

Honestly i don’t think some people will ever get it until it happens to you over and over.  This man is a lieutenant in the military and was terrified. 

The killing of Daunte Wright in Brooklyn Center is a 15  minute drive from downtown Minneapolis, where the Chauvin trial resumes tomorrow. 

Much of the story is from his mother. He was in her car, so he called about insurance and registration - said the pull over was about the air fresheners. He had an outstanding warrant, so police moved to arrest. Sounds like he went back to the car, police fired, he tried to drive off and crashed a few blocks later, dying there. 
I have been stopped for the same.  It's a BS reason to stop someone, but they probably ran his plates and came up as he was wanted for something else.

I have been stopped for the same.  It's a BS reason to stop someone, but they probably ran his plates and came up as he was wanted for something else.
I don’t know the details, but if he was in his mother’s car he wouldn’t come up on a plate search, would he? Maybe he’s listed as an insured driver or something? 
Did you have an outstanding warrant or anything when you were stopped? 

I don’t know the details, but if he was in his mother’s car he wouldn’t come up on a plate search, would he? Maybe he’s listed as an insured driver or something? 
Did you have an outstanding warrant or anything when you were stopped? 
Did I, no.  Supposedly the air freshener around the mirror is considered to block your vision.  Personally I’m not stoping someone for it in this climate.  

I'm not going to automatically accept the premise that the guy was ostensibly pulled over for air fresheners (I wasn't there and I don't know), but it wouldn't surprise me.  Officers can and do make pretextual stops all the time.  On a bad day, the officer says that he smells marijuana in the car -- which can't be disproven -- and thereby creates probable cause to search the vehicle, which is why he pulled you over in the first place.

I'm not sure how you write legislation barring this practice, but that would make for a nice component to a broader portfolio of CJ reform.

so a police officer being a POC and him being Latino means racism definitely isnt at play?  just trying to understand your point here. 

What if the racism being referred to is systemic? 
I dont know if it was in play.    I think not.    I'd go with bad policing.

Racism isn't my go to.   I look at behavior, cops effed up.

What if my aunt is my uncle?

What if I were trying to change the subject after accidentally revealing my true thoughts?
  Im not making age-ist or fat comments.   And my go to isn't to see racism.    

I dont think all whites,  Blacks, latinos, Asians etc are all on there own "teams" 

But its obvious  you do.

I think you are trying to change the subject after revealing your true thoughts.   Pitiful. 

Users who are viewing this thread