What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Another killing at the hands of the Police (14 Viewers)

You didnt answer the full question.  Would your reaction and how you handle being pulled over change if it was once a day vs every so often? what if they roughed you up some of those times as well?  
Then you file a report or go to a city meeting.  You are still not comprehending that this guy made mistakes and it cost him his life.  

pimpy - when it’s time for your kids to drive, how will you tell teach them to deal with the police?  

Then you file a report or go to a city meeting.  You are still not comprehending that this guy made mistakes and it cost him his life.  

Who said he didnt make mistakes?  Where did i say that?  Im just asking you a question.  So you go to the city, nothing happens and it continues.  Then what?  Is every interaction going to be the same as you describe?  Or will you get frustrated?  Again, just curious. 

How do you know  that applies to this particular situation? 
It’s quite reasonable to assume it does. 

In any encounter between police and a black person, particularly in an urban area, we can assume that the black person is going to have fear of mistreatment and possible death, based on solely on the question of skin color, and that this fear will help motivate his responses. And this fear is justified. That is the society we live in, and that’s why, if you’re not black, you can’t compare these encounters to when the police stops you. I’ve never had to fear police. 

pimpy - when it’s time for your kids to drive, how will you tell teach them to deal with the police?  
With respect.  Hands on the wheel and be polite.  Thing is, my kids will not have the same PTSD that other black kids have about police officers so that fear will be less.  However, they will know that they need to be careful.  I will likely put a cam in their cars or something.  But thats how i learned to keep my cool the first time guns were pulled on me after being pulled over for not signaling.  Oh and i did report that to the city.  nothing happened.

• Thanks
Reactions: JAA
Couldn’t think of anything better than letting someone with a gun charge run the streets.  Let’s say he kills someone and it gets out that they didn’t pursue him, how does that look?
His warrant was for a misdemeanor of owning a gun without a license.  His warrant was actually for missing a court date.  How does that get to killing someone?  

There are a lot of outstanding warrants. Police using deadly force every time someone flees because "well, what if they kill someone?" does not seem like the correct use of it.  

• Love
Reactions: JAA
But what was the point?  why is it better to compare arrest %s?  what did you get out of that comparison?  Im curious because you just threw some stats out there with no context.  What is the point you are trying to make?
:lmao:

And then in the very next post you tell someone else to "keep up".  Jesus dude.  :lol:

I can answer this.    It's like roulette.   Every interaction starts with a level of wariness and suspicion.   It goes from  there.

Your question isn't quantifiable.
You actually answered it with your third sentence: every interaction starts with a level of wariness and suspicion. 
In my neighborhood, when police encounter white people, every interaction does not start with a level of wariness and suspicion. You’ve just pinpointed the main issue. 

Who said he didnt make mistakes?  Where did i say that?  Im just asking you a question.  So you go to the city, nothing happens and it continues.  Then what?  Is every interaction going to be the same as you describe?  Or will you get frustrated?  Again, just curious. 
I think you're going off on a tangent.  If he wasn't stopped repeatedly and thereby frustrated--which I think you've said you don't--it doesn't really apply in this case.  

He was pulled over and had a warrant.  And you're saying "well let's discuss this hypothetical where you weren't pulled over and had a warrant."

His warrant was for a misdemeanor of owning a gun without a license.  His warrant was actually for missing a court date.  How does that get to killing someone?  

There are a lot of outstanding warrants. Police using deadly force every time someone flees because "well, what if they kill someone?" does not seem like the correct use of it.  
No. They usually arrest them when they find them, and if they try to flee they stun-gun thier ###. This time a police officer made a mistake. 

Last edited by a moderator:
But what was the point?  why is it better to compare arrest %s?  what did you get out of that comparison?  Im curious because you just threw some stats out there with no context.  What is the point you are trying to make?
They weren't without context. They were right after I posted about using arrest %s instead of general population. 

You actually answered it with your third sentence: every interaction starts with a level of wariness and suspicion. 
In my neighborhood, when police encounter white people, every interaction does not start with a level of wariness and suspicion. You’ve just pinpointed the main issue. 
Did a cop tell you that?    Because that is not how they are trained.    In your very affluent white neighborhood  in California maybe that is situation.   But it's not what I have been told.    Because in detroit area.   You never know who you are pulling over.

With respect.  Hands on the wheel and be polite.
I told my kids hand OUTSIDE the window when pulled over ... officers can see your hands, everyone feels safer

I just don't understand people as I look at this latest situation. The person killed was wanted, fought and tried to run ... there is a personal responsibility there in NOT doing things to escalate situations

He died because of his action - that's crystal clear and yet, BLM is rioting/looting/burning ............. which tells me its not anything to do with the situation, they're just looking for an excuse :(

That is all up to the individual.   

I was pulled over 3 weeks ago and to be honest my blood pressure was rising.  Right away I put my hands on the steering wheel and waited for the officer the walk up.  I gave him my info and he ran my stuff..came back and let me go with a warning for rolling a stop sign in a school area.  I said thank you..he said thanks for your cooperation.  It was weird we both said thanks. Of course I did not have a warrant for my arrest so that helps.

I think you're going off on a tangent.  If he wasn't stopped repeatedly and thereby frustrated--which I think you've said you don't--it doesn't really apply in this case.  

He was pulled over and had a warrant.  And you're saying "well let's discuss this hypothetical where you weren't pulled over and had a warrant."
We are talking about summer wheat.  NOT the recent case with the guy who was shot.  Just as an FYI. He mentioned his response to how he would handle.  Im asking if that might change over time.  This was all in a discussion about running in general.  Again, not this specific case.  Im not arguing the guy should have run. 

He missed a court date for a case where he is accused of holding a gun to somebody's head to rob them. 

Did a cop tell you that?    Because that is not how they are trained.    In your very affluent white neighborhood  in California maybe that is situation.   But it's not what I have been told.    Because in detroit area.   You never know who you are pulling over.
Here’s what I am saying: 

1. When a white person like me is stopped by a cop, all that white person has to do is obey instructions. So long as I do what the cop tells me I am perfectly safe. I don’t need to fear death or other bad treatment. 

2. When a black person is stopped by a cop, there are no guarantees. No matter how well he obeys instructions, no matter how innocent he might be, there is still the possibility of mistreatment and death. And every black person living in this country knows it. And most of them have been subject, at some time in their lives, to some kind of ill treatment by police. 

Here’s what I am saying: 

1. When a white person like me is stopped by a cop, all that white person has to do is obey instructions. So long as I do what the cop tells me I am perfectly safe. I don’t need to fear death or other bad treatment. 

2. When a black person is stopped by a cop, there are no guarantees. No matter how well he obeys instructions, no matter how innocent he might be, there is still the possibility of mistreatment and death. And every black person living in this country knows it. And most of them have been subject, at some time in their lives, to some kind of ill treatment by police. 
Let's define what most means because I call absolute BS on this statement.  Most black people have not faced ill treatment by the police.  Even if you consider just getting pulled over is ill treatment I still call BS on this. 

Not true

Trying to take off got an officer to make an egregious mistake with a negligent discharge of their firearm.  That mistake cost a man his life and it will cost her her career.  Maybe we should train our police better and put them in more of a position of being successful?

Where was she taught she needed to fire her taser at this individual trying to flee?  Is this the correct training?
Had he not decided to flee I’d say there was a 99.99% chance he wouldn’t have gotten shot

Would you agree?

Let's define what most means because I call absolute BS on this statement.  Most black people have not faced ill treatment by the police.  Even if you consider just getting pulled over is ill treatment I still call BS on this. 
no im going to agree with most.  I dont think i know a black person that hasnt.  Thats just me though.  I havent polled every black person in the country so really i have no idea. 

You still arent explaining the point you are trying to make.  Im slow this morning.  Can you help me out?
Using general population %'s assumes that all races commit crimes at equal %'s. We know that isn't true so therefore comparing to the general population is dumb. We would want a stat that would get us closer to negative interactions with police. Arrest %s are obviously much closer to that (although of course not perfect either). 

Here’s what I am saying: 

The 50 white people killed by police so far this year might disagree.

I grew up in a rough area where the police were on edge every traffic stop.  That is why it behooves all of us to do our best to comply.  In fact given the state of what is going on it should be taught in HS.

Using general population %'s assumes that all races commit crimes at equal %'s. We know that isn't true so therefore comparing to the general population is dumb. We would want a stat that would get us closer to negative interactions with police. Arrest %s are obviously much closer to that (although of course not perfect either). 
So was your determination that its disproportional because arrest %'s are higher?  If so why do you think they are higher? 

2. When a black person is stopped by a cop, there are no guarantees. 
This is a perception and like I said the officers I know, tell me,  that things are getting meaner.

The cop has no guarantees  white, black, brown, yellow.   

When they pull you over in your Lexus.   Yea they might not have too much fear because experience  tells them how compliant a Lexus driver is.     

Like I said it's roulette.   Most stops are handled quickly and safely.   Until the ball lands on green and then it's go time.    You never know when that is.    

This is a perception and like I said the officers I know, tell me,  that things are getting meaner.

When they pull you over in your Lexus.   Yea they might not have too much fear because experience  tells them how compliant a Lexus driver is.     

Like I said it's roulette.   Most stops are handled quickly and safely.   Until the ball lands on green and then it's go time.    You never know when that is.    
Right.  Perception.  Unconscious bias. Fear.  Many black people irrationally fear the police, just like many police irrationally fear black people. 

Ive posted a long post about how to fix this.  But there isnt really a quick fix for it.  But it does start with recognizing this.  On both sides. 

Last edited by a moderator:
How many times have you been stopped in the last week, month, year?  Next time you’re stopped, turn the video on your phone.  The cop should have his on. 

You seem to be avoiding the main issue which is that race plays a huge factor, a negative one for blacks. Unless you’re willing to acknowledge that fact we’ll always be talking past each other on this issue. 

Searching his name and warrant turn up a torrent of different answers.

Maybe the guy that thinks there are a bunch of children locked in a pizza parlor basement isn't a great source.  

He could be right, just sayin'............
Never said it was a good source. But even that source said nothing about him putting a gun to someone's head.

That KSTP guy doesn't list his source. Posobiec pulled up his criminal record and that incident KSTP guy mentions isn't in it. 

There were some other marijuana charges that he owes close to $400 for.

How many times have you been stopped in the last week, month, year?  Next time you’re stopped, turn the video on your phone.  The cop should have his on. 
You didnt answer the question.  But i will answer yours anyway.  First, i havent been pulled over in the last year.  But i also havent driven much due to covid and such.  And yes next time i am stopped you can bet i will have my dashcam on. 

Users who are viewing this thread