What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Another killing at the hands of the Police (8 Viewers)

So the polarization of the country where we are fighting and pitted against each other based on race, politician preference, and wealth will create a perfect nation?  Where in our history do you draw that conclusion?  I was under no such illusion we were fine but just would evolve over time. 
The journey is towards "a more perfect nation".  We will never be a "perfect nation".   We are a better nation that continues to evolve to slowly understand the ideals this nation was built on and putting those ideals into practice in ways our founding fathers could never have dreamt.   This doesn't happen without push back and bumps in the road.  It doesn't happen without those believing that it is all going "to hell in a handbasket".  But it is happening! 

The journey is towards "a more perfect nation".  We will never be a "perfect nation".   We are a better nation that continues to evolve to slowly understand the ideals this nation was built on and putting those ideals into practice in ways our founding fathers could never have dreamt.   This doesn't happen without push back and bumps in the road.  It doesn't happen without those believing that it is all going "to hell in a handbasket".  But it is happening! 
Imho that’s an idealistic view of the journey.  No one knows what’s at the end of road but it could be something we don’t want or never thought of.  That’s my fear.  

I think Trump is a big reason, but mostly I think the worst damage he did for the country was the attack on the media and driving people to worse and worse ways to get their info.   It's come to the point where depending on where you look for info it feels like you are living in a different country.  
For the most part, our media has devolved into a partisan tabloid  and trump had very little/nothing to do with it.  

I think Trump is a big reason, but mostly I think the worst damage he did for the country was the attack on the media and driving people to worse and worse ways to get their info.   It's come to the point where depending on where you look for info it feels like you are living in a different country.  
I find this statement to be incredibly odd coming from you. When people complain about mainstream you criticize them for consuming it. Now you are saying people getting info elsewhere is a problem.

Disagree.  The media exposed Trump.  Trump exposed the media.  They both lost and now have to live with it.  Do you trust FoxNews?  The distrust in media is warranted, but thats been beat up plenty in the other thread.

Imho that’s an idealistic view of the journey.  No one knows what’s at the end of road but it could be something we don’t want or never thought of.  That’s my fear.  
There is no end of the road.  And throughout the journey there will be constant change where we all benefit from those things we never thought we would want or even thought could be to have an opinion.    Future Americans will look back at the 2021 Americans and just roll their eyes at how backwards we were and that will be good.   That is the exceptionalism that results from this great experiment in self governing.

Ben and Jerry's (Yes, the ice cream company.) doing a pretty good job summarizing the absolute insane leftist fantasy that if we just tear it all down, a woke utopia will somehow magically arise. LINK Also reminds that "defund the police" doesn't mean reform.

The murder of #DaunteWright is rooted in white supremacy and results from the intentional criminalization of Black and Brown communities. This system can’t be reformed. It must be dismantled and a real system of public safety rebuilt from the ground up. #DefundThePolice

Gotcha, djmich - but I also think FW brought up a great point.  I was thinking physical attack when I wrote that, but he is completely right about how an attack might happen, and something like that we would squabble about - who dropped the ball, if it's really happening, etc..   
I wouldn’t rule out bio-terrorism either.  Look at this virus and the reaction to it, from China to health organizations, to US.   Our next war could be a real life version of Call to Duty.

I find this statement to be incredibly odd coming from you. When people complain about mainstream you criticize them for consuming it. Now you are saying people getting info elsewhere is a problem.
Mostly, I push back and I am curious about what they mean by MSM media when they posted it.  Turns out, it's usually just #####ing about CNN.  :shrug:

The danger is not they aren't getting it from Fox and CNN, the danger is that he pushed it even farther off the grid so people are getting stuff from stuff that is even less reliable in order to avoid CNN and Fox.  

Disagree.  The media exposed Trump.  Trump exposed the media.  They both lost and now have to live with it.  Do you trust FoxNews?  The distrust in media is warranted, but thats been beat up plenty in the other thread.
Yeah, I addressed it below and in other threads.  It's not that he pushed people away from Fox, it's that he pushed them to his Twitter account and OAN, which is even worse.  

It's not as though the result was "hey let's look at outlets from outside the country because they are less biased", and the media has lost in that sense.   It's " :rolleyes:  lamestream media - here's this YouTube channel where I learn the real truth!" 

Mostly, I push back and I am curious about what they mean by MSM media when they posted it.  Turns out, it's usually just #####ing about CNN.  :shrug:

The danger is not they aren't getting it from Fox and CNN, the danger is that he pushed it even farther off the grid so people are getting stuff from stuff that is even less reliable in order to avoid CNN and Fox.  
There are two problems - these channels can’t jus report news, it has to be their spin.  The other problem with pushing the boundaries out further is these people are not exactly credible, and they want to be first with the news, facts be damned.

Honestly, if the people you were referring to were black you would rightly be called a racist.  You are implying "these people" are too dumb to read, interpret data and identify bias.  I'm sure people would love to go to unbiased sources of news and not deal with the extra work...but sometimes you gotta work 🤷‍♂️

Yeah, I addressed it below and in other threads.  It's not that he pushed people away from Fox, it's that he pushed them to his Twitter account and OAN, which is even worse.  

It's not as though the result was "hey let's look at outlets from outside the country because they are less biased", and the media has lost in that sense.   It's " :rolleyes:  lamestream media - here's this YouTube channel where I learn the real truth!" 
I dont disagree that its a problem and that available sources suck...but stop blaming the consumers.

Relevant to the topic of this thread and the media.   LINK

Here's one example of what "the good media" has driven.  

Per "Key Findings," 8/10 Black Americans and 6/10 liberals whites believe Black men are more likely to be SHOT BY POLICE than killed in auto wrecks. That's insane. For context: there are ~50K fatal and 600K disabling/injuring wrecks per year....

white cons are FIFTY percentage points more likely to know the actual figures on cop shooting - ~60 unarmed men per year, 15 Black - than are liberals.

Have you seen OAN's numbers?    That's some leftist red meat.   I wouldn't be surprised that a sizable portion of their watcher's are people watching to see what they say next.

Ben and Jerry's (Yes, the ice cream company.) doing a pretty good job summarizing the absolute insane leftist fantasy that if we just tear it all down, a woke utopia will somehow magically arise. LINK Also reminds that "defund the police" doesn't mean reform.

The murder of #DaunteWright is rooted in white supremacy and results from the intentional criminalization of Black and Brown communities. This system can’t be reformed. It must be dismantled and a real system of public safety rebuilt from the ground up. #DefundThePolice
Crap. I love my Cherry Garcia

:(

So you expect the normalization of people by race, political preference and wealth to calm down in the future?  How and why?
Because my hope is that we won't have another POTUS pushing those divides with his own rhetoric and actions constantly.

• Love
Reactions: JAA

Exactly...all the while claiming sources are fake news or unreliable...yet getting information from sources with far less journalistic standards, more likely to fail basic fact checks, and pushing an even more extreme partisan agenda.  We see it on this board often.

There are two problems - these channels can’t jus report news, it has to be their spin.  The other problem with pushing the boundaries out further is these people are not exactly credible, and they want to be first with the news, facts be damned.
Not disagreeing with that at all, that's 100% the point.  

My point is that in the past 4-5 years we haven't gotten frustrated with Fox and CNN and consumed more BBC, etc.. people have gotten frustrated and gone to YouTube, Twitter, more extreme channels for the "real truth".  

Lets reply again to this from a different angle.  Same perspective, but different view point.  I assume that you are pretty large believer in the free market being the best way to both recognize and achieve our goals.  At least more so than say a central government dictating what you should buy at what prices and what not.  

Well our self governing works the same way.  I don't mean the goods and services that the government consumes and/or provides.  I mean that our government is ultimately built around the [mostly] free market of ideas.  Where market forces have us driving up the demand of good ideas and leaving low utility ideas behind.  Just like our economic markets it gets distorted by things like advertising and brand loyalty and fads but over time those things lose out when there are better products, better products, or in this case better ideas.  It is slow and a bump ride, but the soundest principles are those that have been tested in the crucible of open debate and found meritorious in the free market of idea.

Last edited by a moderator:
thriftyrocker said:
Another country did attack us in the past 6 months, and that country is Russia. The administration suppressed information about it, denied Russia was the ones attacking us, and did little in response. So, no, an attack from another country is not enough to spur unity. Aliens? Maybe.
More But Trump huh?  You guys ever going to get over him?  

Agree with your attack by aliens.  :hifive: That's what I said was happening.  

Honestly, if the people you were referring to were black you would rightly be called a racist.  You are implying "these people" are too dumb to read, interpret data and identify bias.  I'm sure people would love to go to unbiased sources of news and not deal with the extra work...but sometimes you gotta work 🤷‍♂️
Please don't put words in my mouth.   

As far as the second part.  I get people are busy, and it's staggering the % people get their news from SM when you look at stats.  That's not because they are dumb, it's because they are busy and on SM a ton anyway.  Combing for news it's on a lot of people's priority lists throughout the day.  

Now, as far as people around here.  We are all intelligent people who can read and understand these concepts.   Sources have been brought up over and over that are pretty damn good - BBC, Reuters, etc..   I have never seen anybody complain about those sources when the topic is brought up, and it's not any harder to use them vs. clicking on CNN or Fox.   So, like I asked SC yesterday - is it because people disagree that even these sources can be trusted and just never say that, or is there something else that is driving them to make that choice.  

I see the country becoming more polarize by the day by race and political preference.  I thought and was told by many that trump was the main reason but it’s not getting better with Biden.  
Polarizing times seem bad when they’re happening but not necessarily afterwards. Brown vs Board of Education, for example,,is universally taught today as a supreme moment of triumph in our history.,But when it happened it nearly drove the nation apart in the angry reaction. 
There WILL be police reform, George Floyd, Daunte,  and these others will be seen like Medgar Evars: deaths who ended up causing a positive change in our society. 

Because my hope is that we won't have another POTUS pushing those divides with his own rhetoric and actions constantly.
The last 3 presidents have pushed this narrative which is one of the reasons we are unstable as a nation right now and it’s not getting better.  So based on your opinion everything should get better?  When I can expect normalization where we are not pitted against each by race, wealth and politics? 

Last edited by a moderator:
The last 3 presidents have pushed this narrative which is one of the reasons we are unstable as a nation right now and it’s not getting better.  So based on your everything should be get better?  When I can expect normalization where we are not pitted against each by race, wealth and politics? 
You and I probably won't be alive to see it.

The last 3 presidents have pushed this narrative which is one of the reasons we are unstable as a nation right now and it’s not getting better.  So based on your everything should be get better?  When I can expect normalization where we are not pitted against each by race, wealth and politics? 
Maybe when systemic racism isn’t a thing?    Being that many people can’t seem to even acknowledge it’s a problem i don’t think you can expect that to be fixed anytime soon.  Like an alcoholic you have to admit there is a problem first.

Well our self governing works the same way.  I don't mean the goods and services that the government consumes and/or provides.  I mean that our government is ultimately built around the [mostly] free market of ideas.  Where market forces have us driving up the demand of good ideas and leaving low utility ideas behind.  Just like our economic markets it gets distorted by things like advertising and brand loyalty and fads but over time those things lose out when there are better products, better products, or in this case better ideas.  It is slow and a bump ride, but the soundest principles are those that have been tested in the crucible of open debate and found meritorious in the free market of idea.
Yes I’m a believer in free markets and small government.  I agree the road is never ending and will be bumpy at times but the fractures are the biggest in my life time (1966).  I see less people open to debates but rather it’s the sledge hammer approach thru violence or shouting down from their social media accounts .  

when you have an agenda driven media that is so jaded to one side it is not hard to be skeptical.

Trump was right on this.  fake news.

"worst damage" ?

CNN & MSNBC showed their bias everyday.   report the news?

yea right. 

Not disagreeing with that at all, that's 100% the point.  

My point is that in the past 4-5 years we haven't gotten frustrated with Fox and CNN and consumed more BBC, etc.. people have gotten frustrated and gone to YouTube, Twitter, more extreme channels for the "real truth".  
God Bless IPTV.

Polarizing times seem bad when they’re happening but not necessarily afterwards. Brown vs Board of Education, for example,,is universally taught today as a supreme moment of triumph in our history.,But when it happened it nearly drove the nation apart in the angry reaction. 
There WILL be police reform, George Floyd, Daunte,  and these others will be seen like Medgar Evars: deaths who ended up causing a positive change in our society. 
I honestly don’t believe any police reform will solve police killing people unless you take guns away from the police.  

when you have an agenda driven media that is so jaded to one side it is not hard to be skeptical.

"worst damage" ?

yea right. 
Trump is part of the problem also.  If Shepard Smith, Chris Matthews, etc didn’t kiss his ###, he wanted them gone.  Newsmax would really be nonexistent otherwise.  

Trump is part of the problem also.
blame Biden - he's the sitting president and has said far more racist things. remember, he's been in DC 40 years and we've STILL got all these problems? WTH did he do in all those years to solve anything when we are where we are right now ? unbelievable isn't it ?

Trump was never part of the problem, he was simply CNN's blame for it

blame Biden - he's the sitting president and has said far more racist things. remember, he's been in DC 40 years and we've STILL got all these problems? WTH did he do in all those years to solve anything when we are where we are right now ? unbelievable isn't it ?

Trump was never part of the problem, he was simply CNN's blame for it
Regarding just the media, Trump tried to control it at every turn.

there is some CNN stuff on the daily wire you’ll find interesting that came out today.

Exactly...all the while claiming sources are fake news or unreliable...yet getting information from sources with far less journalistic standards, more likely to fail basic fact checks, and pushing an even more extreme partisan agenda.  We see it on this board often.
like anonymous sources?

Regarding just the media, Trump tried to control it at every turn.

there is some CNN stuff on the daily wire you’ll find interesting that came out today.
I read the article on CNN manipulating and faking information to diss Trump - is that the same article ?

Trump called them what they were - and he instigated and played the game they wanted him to play (Trump was an idiot to do that)

Trump was far from what they said he was - but keep telling the lie and people believe it, right ?

I dont disagree that its a problem and that available sources suck...but stop blaming the consumers.
Isn't the media simply providing the product that consumers demand?  Would a greater supply of unbias media sources create its own demand?  Or do biased sources thrive simply because that is what consumers want?

The last 3 presidents have pushed this narrative which is one of the reasons we are unstable as a nation right now and it’s not getting better.  So based on your opinion everything should get better?  When I can expect normalization where we are not pitted against each by race, wealth and politics? 
I am hopeful it will get better and I think the last POTUS pushed it far more than Bush or Obama ever did and it wasn’t close.

• Smile
Isn't the media simply providing the product that consumers demand?  Would a greater supply of unbias media sources create its own demand?  Or do biased sources thrive simply because that is what consumers want?
Sort of.  But there is a lot of moaning about people "not consuming" it.  I think we'll see over the next few years, and we are already seeing, a ton of new sources of information and more importantly "thought", they just wont be the traditional monoliths and people who are fans of the monoliths will need to accept thats not bad.

I'd also think about this a little bit with a "drug" analogy.  Addicts demands cocaine, sure the dealers are only supplying what the addicts are demanding...that don't mean its healthy.

So you expect the normalization of people by race, political preference and wealth to calm down in the future?  How and why?
Expect?  No.  Hopeful?  Sure.

Race/religion?  yes.  Long term.  Maybe i dont get to see it.  Hopefully my kids do see improvement and i think they will.  I hope they will.   I could be faster, but sooooooo many people dont seem to want this.  Maybe when the older generation is gone that changes. 

Political preference?  doubtful.  Will always be contentious.  Plus most politicians are awful and i dont trust most of them.

Wealth/socioeconomic - doubtful.  With the wealth gap i dont see that closing anytime soon.  The minute you try to its claims of moving to communism.  So no, i dont see that. Not now.

Basically, if you read my longer solution writeups, you will see if takes time, integration and lots of work and people really examining themselves.  So we will see improvement.  Just slower than i would like. 

• Thanks
Even if this was 100% true. That still doesnt absolve the media when they do it. Unless we are going to just brand them all entertainment. 

Even if this was 100% true. That still doesnt absolve the media when they do it. Unless we are going to just brand them all entertainment. 

I agree the media is problematic(both sides).  But its only because half this country doesnt interact with one another.  Their ONLY data point about some people is the news. And usually thats bad and we have to deal with the narrative being pushed.  Fix things so they arent depending on that as a point of reference and the impact of media is reduced.

I honestly don’t believe any police reform will solve police killing people unless you take guns away from the police.  
Police killing people is not the problem. Police killing people as part of institutionalized racism is the problem. And that WIlLL get better. It’s better now than it was 30 years ago, and wayyy better than it was 60 years ago. But it’s still a big problem, and as @PinkydaPimpsays, part of the problem is that not everyone acknowledges that. Still a whole lot more people now do as compared to a couple of years ago, thanks to the death of George Floyd. It’s sad that it takes a murder to wake people up but that’s how the world tends to work. We move forward slowly but we move forward. 

I agree the media is problematic(both sides).  
No, the mainstream media is not a problem, 

You just wrote, correctly, that institutionalized racism won’t ever end while people don’t acknowledge that it exists. But far more people today DO acknowledge it as compared to 2 years ago. Because of George Floyd, and the other deaths which certain people here complain are “over reported”. They’re not over reported at all. Besides the fact that they are news, reporting them serves the positive purpose of waking people up To what’s happening. (That’s not why they are reported; the mainstream media does not report news with any political or cultural purpose in mind. But it does go to my argument that, far from being a problem, the mainstream media are a positive vehicle for good, exactly as Thomas Jefferson predicted.) 

Maybe when systemic racism isn’t a thing?    Being that many people can’t seem to even acknowledge it’s a problem i don’t think you can expect that to be fixed anytime soon.  Like an alcoholic you have to admit there is a problem first.
I think mostly everyone will acknowledge there was and still is racism and we are getting better as a nation all the time.  But that’s not the root of our problems today.  

"worst damage" ?

yea right. 
I think I've been pretty clear on my stance.   It's not the fact that Trump called out the media for having bias.  The problem was twofold:

1. The focus wasn't then steered towards sites and sources that are good at reporting facts, it was steered more towards Twitter, OAN, etc..  

2.  This was the POTUS telling people this.  

I have said many times probably don't use CNN and MSNBC, especially the channel vs. web.  Feel free to bust my balls if I tell people to watch those or link something to them.  

Users who are viewing this thread