What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Another killing at the hands of the Police (3 Viewers)

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.cincinnati.com/amp/7298533002

No on seems to be talking about this case.  Young black girl kills another.  ZERO outrage.

Cop stops the same from happening:  it’s all over the news.

Not a PSF criticism, but the general public
Yes. 

If the pink lady was stabbed and killed...nobody would be talking about it.  Nobody outside the immediate friends and family would care.  And if those were the people involved in the video, I'm not sure how much they would care. 

The cop saved the pink lady...and the reaction by many is he's a vilian or to pull out the race card.

Absolute twilight zone.  The excuse:  Well other stuff.

Right is right.

Wrong is wrong.

Right is not wrong.

We should expect humans and particularly our leaders to be able to follow this basic pattern.

There is no outrage for black on black crimes or white on white crimes.  The young girl who was shot in her car seat at the McDonald's drive-thru... gang violence cross-fire.  No protests, no marches. She doesn't get to be Martyred like the others who died at the hands of police.  They weren't in a drive-thru. They were involved in various crimes or otherwise there would be no reason for police to be involved. 

Martyrdom is reserved for those people... the true victims. Maxene Waters will not speak out to condemn senseless deaths like that young girl in the car. Nor will Biden or Harris in nationally aired speeches.  Because it doesn't fit the narrative.

BLM but only in certain situations. 

The police officer was in a no win position.  He took the shot and potentially saved a young woman's life... he is criticized.  If he doesn't intervene (which he was called there to do) and the woman is stabbed (maybe fatally), he is criticized. 

Not sure why anyone would want to be a cop in this country these days but God bless them.  
Let the scene play out from blocks away. Once it is all clear, go get blown off by all the witnesses and then move on. 

This is exactly what is going to start happening. Because who wants to deal with such stupidity, like Lebron putting you front and center, in addition to what they are already dealing with. 

When you see a news outlet lie about a story like this, or another news outlet running hit pieces with fabricated evidence (60 Minutes), or another news outlet intentionally scaring people about covid for clicks (everybody), it's very important to keep in mind that these are the same people who you trust when they're reporting on issues that you happen to be poorly-informed about.  And that's irrational of course.  If you catch them lying about topics about which you're well-informed, it should greatly increase your skepticism about them on all other topics.  

Edit: I'm pretty sure this phenomenon has a name attached to it, but I can't recall what it is.  The way I saw this idea explained originally involved a physicist who was reading the paper, finding it all very informative.  Then he stumbles upon a story that involves physics and he finds that it's full of errors -- the author gets a bunch of facts wrong, misunderstands a theory, reverses the causality of two events, etc. -- and remarks to himself what a terrible story it is.  The average person never would have noticed anything wrong with that story, but the physicist happens to be an expert in the field so he catches all of this stuff.  Then he goes right back to reading stories about other fields -- political science, economics, finance, medicine -- believing everything, even though his experience with the "physics" story should have taught him to be more wary.  Anybody else see this or remember what it's called?
I don't remember but I asked a friend who always knows these kinds of things. I'll report back if he has an answer.

In my own experience, I tend to think people react as one might expect the physicist to in your story. He sees them get one thing wrong and starts questioning the other.

I see this in reporting. It's why I stress so hard over spelling players names correctly. If we misspell a name, I think the reader questions the other things we may have wrong that he can't obviously see.

I do this with restaurants by seeing if the bathrooms are clean. If they don't care enough to keep the bathrooms clean that are available to everyone, I don't trust them to keep the kitchen clean that isn't seen. That kind of thing.

I have no idea how common I am in this. 

No on seems to be talking about this case.  Young black girl kills another.  ZERO outrage.

Not a PSF criticism, but the media and the outraged.
like I said, girl in pink gets stabbed and dies, not even a blip on the media radar. 

Its almost eerie how these 2 situations are mirror images of each other with the main difference being the cop actually stopping the potential murder...and yet he's the one getting crucified here. 

I hope anyone in this guys defense team has knowledge of the situation you linked and holds on to it as a kinda "well if I wasn't there..." type thing. 

In my own experience, I tend to think people react as one might expect the physicist to in your story. He sees them get one thing wrong and starts questioning the other. 
In my experience you don't even have to be an expert to see it. Over the summer I was having some fun on another board by actually reading every single NYT article referenced in support of a position. I wanted to comment exclusively by quoting their own source. I thought I'd find something contradicting or misleading about 25% percent of the time. MAYBE 50%. It turned out to be 100% - every single linked NYT story had easily verifiable false info. And about 50% of the time, the body of the story didn't match the headline. 

In my experience you don't even have to be an expert to see it. Over the summer I was having some fun on another board by actually reading every single NYT article referenced in support of a position. I wanted to comment exclusively by quoting their own source. I thought I'd find something contradicting or misleading about 25% percent of the time. MAYBE 50%. It turned out to be 100% - every single linked NYT story had easily verifiable false info. And about 50% of the time, the body of the story didn't match the headline. 
The headlines being insanely biased or misleading was the first step. 

They watched how supporters of the media would just brush that off. Those are just headlines. The reporters dont even write those. Thats not fair, etc.

Somehow this weird alternate universe got created where it was just ok to make stuff up in a headline. Take one segment of a quote out of context, etc. 

Shocking that the next logical evolution of that occurred. 

I see this in reporting. It's why I stress so hard over spelling players names correctly. If we misspell a name, I think the reader questions the other things we may have wrong that he can't obviously see.
This might be a non-sequitur, but as soon as I see a fantasy publication misspell a name, I immediately stop listening, on the boards or in print. It's a prejudice of mine, and I think it's a fair one. I've stated the reason before like this: You can't have watched the games if you're misspelling obvious names, and you can't be giving nuanced advice if you're not watching the games.

It's Chase Edmonds and James Conner, please. Nothing else suffices, and I don't think one has been watching or been paying keen attention when one messes up. Unless it's T.J. Houshmandzadeh, Belichick, or that "coach from Duke," whose name I personally still can't spell offhandedly after thirty years. Then I'm a little more forgiving. But as a publication, that should absolutely be your standard to uphold, even if it winds up being difficult in practice. It's important. 

Yes. 

If the pink lady was stabbed and killed...nobody would be talking about it.  Nobody outside the immediate friends and family would care.  And if those were the people involved in the video, I'm not sure how much they would care. 
There you go.  You have your answer for what should have been done...

This might be a non-sequitur, but as soon as I see a fantasy publication misspell a name, I immediately stop listening, on the boards or in print. It's a prejudice of mine, and I think it's a fair one. I've stated the reason before like this: You can't have watched the games if you're misspelling obvious names, and you can't be giving nuanced advice if you're not watching the games.

It's Chase Edmonds and James Conner, please. Nothing else suffices, and I don't think one has been watching or been paying keen attention when one messes up. Unless it's T.J. Houshmandzadeh, Belichick, or that "coach from Duke," whose name I personally still can't spell offhandedly after thirty years. Then I'm a little more forgiving. But as a publication, that should absolutely be your standard to uphold, even if it winds up being difficult in practice. It's important. 
I agree with this.  

If you don't take time to check your spelling, grammar, punctuation, etc, why would I think you've put time into the other aspects of it?

I agree with this.  

If you don't take time to check your spelling, grammar, punctuation, etc, why would I think you've put time into the other aspects of it?
On a personal level, I relentlessly edit my own posts once I see them without a text box around it. I want people to be able to read (I often write densely and abstrusely) what I'm trying to say as easily and clearly as possible. I can't stand when others don't at least try.

Last edited by a moderator:
I agree with this.  

Agreed 1000%!

This is why it's so frustrating conversing with guys like @timschochet.  Example after example is brought up of "mistakes" made by the MSM to put forth a narrative and yet he NEVER questions their integrity.  Unless it's Fox News.

If someone consistently lies and/or exaggerates and/or lies-by-omission to you, how can you possibly go on believing ANYTHING they say anymore?   And not only go on believing it, ACTIVELY defending it?  In real life, if someone (like a neighbor or relative) was doing that you would never give them the time of day.  Yet we're going to give the MSM a pass time after time after time.  It's simply absurd.

There is ZERO doubt in my mind that if WaPo or NYTimes came out tomorrow and said the Earth was flat, there would be posters in here in here defending it until the end.

On a personal level, I relentlessly edit my own posts once I see them without a text box around it. I want people to be able to read (I often write densely and abstrusely) what I'm trying to say as easily, clearly, and with as much is due proper expectations as possible. I can't stand when others don't at least try.
haha yeah, if I notice a big typo, grammar mistake, etc, it bothers me.  And more often than not someone has already quoted the mistake so it lives forever.

haha yeah, if I notice a big typo, grammar mistake, etc, it bothers me.  And more often than not someone has already quoted the mistake so it lives forever.
Hate that. I wrote the wrong town in an important post of mine the other day, and it was quoted and is driving me nuts, because I quickly edited it upon realizing my mistake, but it sits there for posterity as a big "oops."

I wonder how half of the journalists that we're discussing can sit there, look at the work that they're producing, and consider it up to snuff. They must be either sociopaths, or they're doing it for the cause and never looking back. I think it's a combination of both, really. To have that inflated a sense of self and importance so that one sees one's self as sort of a beacon of truth and light, facts be damned, is some heady and egoist territory.

Joe Bryant said:
I do this with restaurants by seeing if the bathrooms are clean. If they don't care enough to keep the bathrooms clean that are available to everyone, I don't trust them to keep the kitchen clean that isn't seen. That kind of thing.

As someone who’s run restaurants my entire adult life I can confidently say you’re very common.  Can’t tell you how many times I’ve taught this lesson to young managers.  

As someone who’s run restaurants my entire adult life I can confidently say you’re very common.  Can’t tell you how many times I’ve taught this lesson to young managers.  
I think it also can amplify the inverse.  I forget where I saw it but the stat was something like homes that had Wolf oven/ranges sold at price points that exceeded those of other comparably situated homes. 

You see the red knobs and instantly think "wow this person doesn't cut corners".  The studs behind the sheetrock must be made of the finest mahogany.

Wolf ranges are a rip off but those red knobs more than pay for themselves.

I think it also can amplify the inverse.  I forget where I saw it but the stat was something like homes that had Wolf oven/ranges sold at price points that exceeded those of other comparably situated homes. 

You see the red knobs and instantly think "wow this person doesn't cut corners".  The studs behind the sheetrock must be made of the finest mahogany.

That does it.  I'm getting a Wolf range right before I sell my house.

Update:  After looking at prices of Wolf Ovens, I WILL NOT be getting one before I sell my house.  :doh:

Jayrok said:
The police officer was in a no win position.  He took the shot and potentially saved a young woman's life... he is criticized.  If he doesn't intervene (which he was called there to do) and the woman is stabbed (maybe fatally), he is criticized. 

Not sure why anyone would want to be a cop in this country these days but God bless them.  
and if the police were never called and the girl stabbed her to death the national media would ignore another black on black crime.

My wife’s old house had lost paint off the trim.  We were planning all these expensive fix ups and the trim I was kind of whatever on.

The agent said we’d be better off skipping some of the more expensive stuff before the trim because people see that little detail and just tune out the rest. 

Who would clean the kitchen, especially the prep area, that place is nasty!
I might have a skewed perspective, but from what I have seen restaurant kitchens get cleaned by professional crews when the food network crews get there.  But outside of a few shots of staff making faces, this is all done off screen.

Or maybe I can offer a different perspective of 30+ years ago working in a Maryland seafood carry out where everything was either out in the open or behind windows customers easily could look in, but that would spoil the fun.

IvanKaramazov said:
When you see a news outlet lie about a story like this, or another news outlet running hit pieces with fabricated evidence (60 Minutes), or another news outlet intentionally scaring people about covid for clicks (everybody), it's very important to keep in mind that these are the same people who you trust when they're reporting on issues that you happen to be poorly-informed about.  And that's irrational of course.  If you catch them lying about topics about which you're well-informed, it should greatly increase your skepticism about them on all other topics.  

Edit: I'm pretty sure this phenomenon has a name attached to it, but I can't recall what it is.  The way I saw this idea explained originally involved a physicist who was reading the paper, finding it all very informative.  Then he stumbles upon a story that involves physics and he finds that it's full of errors -- the author gets a bunch of facts wrong, misunderstands a theory, reverses the causality of two events, etc. -- and remarks to himself what a terrible story it is.  The average person never would have noticed anything wrong with that story, but the physicist happens to be an expert in the field so he catches all of this stuff.  Then he goes right back to reading stories about other fields -- political science, economics, finance, medicine -- believing everything, even though his experience with the "physics" story should have taught him to be more wary.  Anybody else see this or remember what it's called?
From my friend:

Gell-Mann Amnesia. Named after physicist Murray Gell-Mann, but the concept was actually laid out by Michael Crichton, which is something I always thought was odd but really shouldn't, because authors are ridiculously smart.

https://www.goodreads.com/quotes/65213-briefly-stated-the-gell-mann-amnesia-effect-is-as-follows-you

jm192 said:

Not a PSF criticism, but the media and the outraged.
Depends.    The msm could easily pivot to protect the victem.

Oh if the cop stood by and the girl in pink was killed the spin would be the cop didnt care if a black girl was killed, they dont protect black victims.   They would have saved a white girl, but they let a black girl die.

But now the attacker is the victim.   Easy pivot.   Cops bad.   

Jayrok said:
There is no outrage for black on black crimes or white on white crimes.  The young girl who was shot in her car seat at the McDonald's drive-thru... gang violence cross-fire.  No protests, no marches. She doesn't get to be Martyred like the others who died at the hands of police.  They weren't in a drive-thru. They were involved in various crimes or otherwise there would be no reason for police to be involved. 

Martyrdom is reserved for those people... the true victims. Maxene Waters will not speak out to condemn senseless deaths like that young girl in the car. Nor will Biden or Harris in nationally aired speeches.  Because it doesn't fit the narrative.

BLM but only in certain situations. 
Post of the day imo 

glvsav37 said:
I have a sneaky suspicion that the girl in pink and the girl getting booted somehow started the whole thing. IDK, maybe they went after Ma'Khia or were bullying her or something. And it got out of control and Ma'Khai snapped and went after them originally in defense but turned to the aggressor when they got outside. Unfortunately, by listening to the orig 911 call and the action when the cop arrived on the scene, he was forced to act on the person using the knife. 

I'm not defending the attack, but I think it will play out very uniquely once everyone involved is interviewed. 
I think you are right. My daughter was following this more than I was. She told me that the girl who was shot was being bullied and jumped by two girls ...girl in pink was one of them.

(let me be clear that I don't know this as a fact, my daughter told me she saw it online) 

I think you are right. My daughter was following this more than I was. She told me that the girl who was shot was being bullied and jumped by two girls ...girl in pink was one of them.

(let me be clear that I don't know this as a fact, my daughter told me she saw it online) 
That's how it was first reported, and may be true, but we know the accuracy with which this story has been reported. If so, it probably still doesn't change the dynamic of attacking somebody with a knife and attempting to stab them while your adult companion kicks the head of somebody on the ground. It's a context the officer didn't have. He sees somebody trying to stab a defenseless person (defenseless at the time).

Has it been confirmed yet who called the police? Because it sure didnt seem like the 16 year old that was about to kill somebody was actually the caller. 

IIRC her aunt is the source of that. Her aunt also thought she was 15. So maybe not so reliable? 

https://2.bp.blogspot.com/-eQWS87eMTUE/WCr0a7PDD1I/AAAAAAAAFvs/w3ng43Fjq30yaQKu_Cu82rU8NVJ-SMyLQCLcB/s1600/Knife-attacks-Duration%28percentage%29.png

This is a graph that shows knife attack durations based on a study if 150 or so attacks.  

I don't personally think the cop was in split second decision making territory here. 

You also need a pretty serious blade and some skills to do fatal damage that can't be repaired with some medical intervention.  

IDK about a warning shot, but 4 rounds seems excessive.  What's the training manual say there? 

https://2.bp.blogspot.com/-eQWS87eMTUE/WCr0a7PDD1I/AAAAAAAAFvs/w3ng43Fjq30yaQKu_Cu82rU8NVJ-SMyLQCLcB/s1600/Knife-attacks-Duration%28percentage%29.png

This is a graph that shows knife attack durations based on a study if 150 or so attacks.  

I don't personally think the cop was in split second decision making territory here. 

You also need a pretty serious blade and some skills to do fatal damage that can't be repaired with some medical intervention.  

IDK about a warning shot, but 4 rounds seems excessive.  What's the training manual say there? 
The training is you shoot until the threat is on the ground.  There is no in between. And you always shoot center mass.

Quibbling over the number of shots fired is absurd.  To me, it seems like you're trying to find a reason to blame the cop.  

I can tell you from experience that it is difficult to hit a target from any distance exactly where it needs to be. This isn't the movies.

Not sure what the manual says about 4 shots, but somebody asked earlier if 4 shots was necessary.

I think its a fair question.  I frankly don't know the right answer and my only perspective would be as someone who owns a handgun.

1.  Hitting a target is not easy.  Hitting a moving target is more difficult.  The proximity was pretty close though so he could probably feel comfortable that most shots would be a hit (even more so being a marksman).

2.  Hitting a target and hitting a target in a spot that will stop someone in their tracks are two different things.  The woman was about to bring her arm down with the knife.  This is huge.  There was not time to see if you missed.  There was no time to wait to see if you hit.  No time to see if you hit an arm, a leg.  He needed to stop her immediately and definitively.

How many shots is right given that?  I don't know but I think 4 would be a good guess if you want to be sure you stopped an attack in progress with 1-2 seconds before knife impact. 

Has it been confirmed yet who called the police? Because it sure didnt seem like the 16 year old that was about to kill somebody was actually the caller. 

IIRC her aunt is the source of that. Her aunt also thought she was 15. So maybe not so reliable? 
Yea this is what i am curious about. 

Joe Bryant said:
I don't remember but I asked a friend who always knows these kinds of things. I'll report back if he has an answer.

David Lee Roth and the legend of the brown M&Ms

LOL. There are about 400000 variations of this "analysis" on twitter. 

Based on the information that we have, the shooting in Ohio seems justified. All of this talk about how he could have stopped it without shooting her seems like nonsense to me. She had a deadly weapon out and was using it. 

No problem with this shooting based on what we've seen. Have a big problem with the rush to declare on social media. Some people are just looking to generate traffic and they'll always be nimrods, but genuine people... hopefully a teachable moment.

David Lee Roth and the legend of the brown M&Ms
They've explained that away as making sure the rider had been read because the sound equipment they were using wasn't supported by most arenas, resulting in potential death. The rider was supposedly to make sure they'd read that part.

I have my doubts about the urban legend and the explanation. Personally, it's just much cooler to think of DLR being such a ##### that he insisted on having worker minions taking out the brown M&Ms. Know your place!

What?

Maybe the officer could save this graph on his phone and check it next time he rolls up on someone about 2 seconds from getting stabbed.

Is this for real??

Users who are viewing this thread