Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Another killing at the hands of the Police

In The Zone

4 minutes ago, Cowboysfan8 said:

What?

Maybe the officer could save this graph on his phone and check it next time he rolls up on someone about 2 seconds from getting stabbed.

Is this for real??

That x-axis... lol. Would have been more effective with crayon.

• Laughing 1

Al Sharpton gives the eulogy for Daunte Wright, because you know he is a longtime family friend.

"We came to bury the prince of Brooklyn Center. We came from all over the country because you hurt one of our princes," Sharpton said. "You thought he was just some kid with an air freshener. He was a prince. All of Minneapolis has stopped today to honor the prince of Brooklyn Center."

Graphs of knife attack durations.

Complete media misdirection.

Athletes and movie stars having a Wokey Pokey dance off. 

I feel like this is all a bad reality TV show on truTv. This is not a serious movement. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, cockroach said:

https://2.bp.blogspot.com/-eQWS87eMTUE/WCr0a7PDD1I/AAAAAAAAFvs/w3ng43Fjq30yaQKu_Cu82rU8NVJ-SMyLQCLcB/s1600/Knife-attacks-Duration%28percentage%29.png

This is a graph that shows knife attack durations based on a study if 150 or so attacks.  

I don't personally think the cop was in split second decision making territory here. 

You also need a pretty serious blade and some skills to do fatal damage that can't be repaired with some medical intervention.  

IDK about a warning shot, but 4 rounds seems excessive.  What's the training manual say there? 

Maybe 1 shot for every victim stab wound?  

So if I’m following this line of logic, the police officer should have paused let the attacker finish the attack assess the knife wielding skills of the attacker, assess how bad the knife wound that was just inflicted was and whether it was now worthy of firing?  

Please.    

Edited by dkp993
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, dkp993 said:

So if I’m following this line of logic, the police officer should have paused let the attacker finish the attack assess the knife wielding skills of the attacker, assess how bad the knife wound that was just inflicted was and whether it was now worthy of firing?  

Please.    

WHY IS THE FUZZ NOT HAVE STOP WATCHES

11 minutes ago, dkp993 said:

Completely forgetting those bullet come down.  So the little old lady sitting on her porch the next block over gets the bullet.  Great solution. 

I mean I like the idea that the cops have something to indicate the #### stops now.  Because words like "drop the ####### gun" and "get on the ground" don't seem to have the same effect on everyone as they would on me.

But...are we really asking cops to use guns to "de-escalate"?  lol...that'll end well

Edited by djmich

7 minutes ago, djmich said:

I mean I like the idea that the cops have something to indicate the #### stops now.  Because words like "drop the ####### gun" and "get on the ground" don't seem to have the same effect on everyone as they would on me.

But...are we really asking cops to use guns to "de-escalate"?  lol...that'll end well

Time is the definitive factor in this case. No amount of yelling is stopping someone in mid attack.  Had he gotten there 2 mins prior de-escalation is on the menu.  Here it’s simply read and react.  

• Like 4

1 hour ago, cockroach said:

https://2.bp.blogspot.com/-eQWS87eMTUE/WCr0a7PDD1I/AAAAAAAAFvs/w3ng43Fjq30yaQKu_Cu82rU8NVJ-SMyLQCLcB/s1600/Knife-attacks-Duration%28percentage%29.png

This is a graph that shows knife attack durations based on a study if 150 or so attacks.  

I don't personally think the cop was in split second decision making territory here. 

You also need a pretty serious blade and some skills to do fatal damage that can't be repaired with some medical intervention.  

IDK about a warning shot, but 4 rounds seems excessive.  What's the training manual say there? 

Then you haven’t seen the video.  The girl was a split second from stabbing the other girl.  

“You need a pretty serious blade and some skills to do fatal damage.”

That’s the worst argument I’ve read yer.  Should we let her stab the other girl and hope she doesn’t manage to kill her?

• Like 3

57 minutes ago, parasaurolophus said:

Al Sharpton gives the eulogy for Daunte Wright, because you know he is a longtime family friend.

Graphs of knife attack durations.

Complete media misdirection.

Athletes and movie stars having a Wokey Pokey dance off. 

I feel like this is all a bad reality TV show on truTv. This is not a serious movement. 

The Daunte Wright shooting and the knife attack shooting are two separate incidents. Why are you combining them here? 

With regard to Al Sharpton and Benjamin Crump, I don’t trust them. 
Whenever there is a shooting these two get heavily involved: Sharpton as the family’s minister, Crump as the family’s lawyer, and the result always seems to be the city is forced to write a big fat check which Crump takes his share of (I suspect that Sharpton gets his amount too). The whole thing is straight out of Tom Wolfe’s The Bonfire of the Vanities. 

Don’t get me wrong, I believe that most (not all) of these incidents are awful; there is systemic racism, the police who do this should be punished, there should be restitution, the whole nine yards. I agree with all of that. But it doesn’t change the fact that Sharpton and Crump strike me as vultures only there to take advantage. 

8 minutes ago, timschochet said:

Whenever there is a shooting these two get heavily involved: Sharpton as the family’s minister, Crump as the family’s lawyer, and the result always seems to be the city is forced to write a big fat check which Crump takes his share of (I suspect that Sharpton gets his amount too). The whole thing is straight out of Tom Wolfe’s The Bonfire of the Vanities. 

Don’t get me wrong, I believe that most (not all) of these incidents are awful; there is systemic racism, the police who do this should be punished, there should be restitution, the whole nine yards. I agree with all of that. But it doesn’t change the fact that Sharpton and Crump strike me as vultures only there to take advantage. 

Coming from the man who said Greg Gutfeld was done...question mark?.

.?

30 minutes ago, timschochet said:

Actually, and take this for what it's worth, but Gordon Gekko pointed to the Jesse Jackson shakedown of corporations tactic in the ESPN thread Joe started. He pretty effectively describes Jesse's Rainbow Coalition's role in "pressuring" corporations to promote diverse hiring practices. It's eerily similar to this sort of graft. They're payouts so that they don't go whipping things up locally and nationally.

It's really sort of sad. Sharpton and Crump are bad for race relations. Stuff like this is why nothing gets done. Because when government officials and the economic elite know it's all bluster and money lining the pockets of the opportunists, the people that suffer actual and hostile racial discrimination don't catch a break. That's because the agencies and the elites drive politics, or at least the Overton Window, and if the people at high levels know that racial grievances manifest in bull####, they don't use their influence to change things.

Edited by rockaction

9 minutes ago, rockaction said:

Actually, and take this for what it's worth, but Gordon Gekko pointed to the Jesse Jackson shakedown of corporations tactic in the ESPN thread Joe started. He pretty effectively describes Jesse's Rainbow Coalition's role in "pressuring" corporations to promote diverse hiring practices. It's eerily similar to this sort of graft. They're payouts so that they don't go whipping things up locally and nationally.

It's really sort of sad. Sharpton and Crump are bad for race relations. Stuff like this is why nothing gets done. Because when government officials and the economic elite know it's all bluster and money lining the pockets of the opportunists, the people that suffer actual and hostile racial discrimination don't catch a break. That's because the agencies and the elites drive politics, or at least the Overton Window, and if the people at high levels know that racial grievances manifest in bull####, they don't use their influence to change things.

Gekko, during his incredibly long posts, made some decent points from time to time. But these were almost always surrounded by such hate filled and offensive nonsense that I tended to ignore them. I suspect that he is banned or serving a long suspension now as a result of my having reported him. It was only the second time since I joined this forum in 2007 that I ever reported anyone, but he made some extremely offensive comments about my family that I could not ignore. 

10 minutes ago, timschochet said:

he made some extremely offensive comments about my family that I could not ignore. 

Missed that. That's too bad, and shouldn't happen unless one makes one's family fair game, like politicians do. You haven't done that to the best of my knowledge, so that is indeed a shame.

10 minutes ago, timschochet said:

I don’t even know who Greg Gutfield is. What did I say about him, and when? 

Somebody else said that about Gutfeld. It was someone to the right of things on this board, IIRC, so I think the post you're responding to has inaccurately credited you with something. Par for the course, and it happens. Hard to remember everything in this forum and sometimes one is left with their best guess.

2 hours ago, timschochet said:

Based on the information that we have, the shooting in Ohio seems justified. All of this talk about how he could have stopped it without shooting her seems like nonsense to me. She had a deadly weapon out and was using it. 

100%.  I don't think there are many that disagree.  Most of the main stream media agrees also.  Yesterday I watched a bit of Cuomo and Lemon and they were both sympathetic to the fact that the cop had no choice.  He believes he is saving a life.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, timschochet said:

The Daunte Wright shooting and the knife attack shooting are two separate incidents. Why are you combining them here? 

Wait. They are two separate incidents??? Yeah right. Next you are going to tell me the Adam Toledo incident was different too. 

After seeing everything the only thing I conclude.

Did Floyd have a heart ailment and in poor health?  Yes,

Was Floyd loaded up on fentanyl?  Yes. 

Would he have died if Chauven was not kneeling on his neck for 9 minutes?  No

Really do not understand after being handcuffed and subdued..even if he was on drugs.  Just get two officers and keep him face down with your hands on his back.  

2 hours ago, Da Guru said:

After seeing everything the only thing I conclude.

Did Floyd have a heart ailment and in poor health?  Yes,

Was Floyd loaded up on fentanyl?  Yes. 

Would he have died if Chauven was not kneeling on his neck for 9 minutes?  No

Really do not understand after being handcuffed and subdued..even if he was on drugs.  Just get two officers and keep him face down with your hands on his back.  

I imagine some of you have seen the recent meme on Twitter and Facebook that says

“Dear police officers, You can’t hear us over the noise right now but there are millions of Americans who appreciate you, support you, & thank you for your service.” 

Does that mean they are defending the actions of  former officer Derek Chavin? (cause I don’t) Unless new evidence changes my thinking I support the blue in many of these recent incidents such as Columbus, Ohio and I feel bad for Kim Potter for the tragic mistake she made with the taser but I have been reluctant to comment on or like this post/meme  on social media.

6 minutes ago, Sam Quentin said:

I can’t fault people for trying to think of ways that a tragic death could have been avoided, but this proposal is not actionable.

I don't think there's anything tragic about somebody getting shot when she's trying to stab an unarmed person.

I'm starting to wonder if the gender of the assailant is what's causing people to go off the rails here.  If a guy were lunging at a young woman with a butcher knife, would we be criticizing the cop for shooting him?  Surely not, right?

• Like 4
  • Laughing 1

3 hours ago, lazyike said:

I imagine some of you have seen the recent meme on Twitter and Facebook that says

“Dear police officers, You can’t hear us over the noise right now but there are millions of Americans who appreciate you, support you, & thank you for your service.” 

Does that mean they are defending the actions of  former officer Derek Chavin? (cause I don’t) Unless new evidence changes my thinking I support the blue in many of these recent incidents such as Columbus, Ohio and I feel bad for Kim Potter for the tragic mistake she made with the taser but I have been reluctant to comment on or like this post/meme  on social media.

Given that it says Dear police officers and not Dear Derek Chavin I don't think you can draw that correlation.

I'm not familiar with the meme, but good police are getting #### on because of bad police.  Good police protect us.  I think expressing support is reasonable.

For the record...I think yelling things like Blue Lives Matter at Black Lives Matter rallies is dumb.

1 minute ago, IvanKaramazov said:

I don't think there's anything tragic about somebody getting shot when she's trying to stab an unarmed person.

I'm starting to wonder if the gender of the assailant is what's causing people to go off the rails here.  If a guy were lunging at a young woman with a butcher knife, would we be criticizing the cop for shooting him?  Surely not, right?

Uh, yah....its the gender 🤣

1 minute ago, IvanKaramazov said:

It’s not the gender, it’s the age of the assailant.  At that age, a brain is far from being fully developed.  There was a fairly decent chance of her becoming a productive and loving member of society.  And, yes, it is tragic to lose a life.  

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Sam Quentin said:

It’s not the gender, it’s the age of the assailant.  At that age, a brain is far from being fully developed.  There was a fairly decent chance of her becoming a productive and loving member of society.  And, yes, it is tragic to lose a life.  

LINK

Majority of House Democrats vote in favor of lowering voting age to 16.

Does not compute

8 minutes ago, Sam Quentin said:

How many people did you stab when you were 15?

• Like 4

11 hours ago, bcat01 said:

Joy Behar says just shoot in the air and that would stop the attack.

Yes, by all means we should listen to someone who is a host on The View or The Talk or whichever one of those awful gossip-fest talk shows she happens to be on... :lol: 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, lazyike said:

No, I don`t know anyone defending Chauvins action.  I mean nobody. 

Being a police officer right now is a very difficult job and maybe they are just showing support for the people on the street because we do need them.

I do feel bad for Potter.  Unlike Chauvin  It was a obvious mistake in a chaotic situation and years ago that would have been taken in consideration.  Now she will probably serve jail time.

In defense of teenage knife fighting.

In case it's not obvious, this is a once common type of writing called "satire".

Since when do we need the cops to intervene in the recreational stabbings of our youth?

Just when I thought that America couldn’t possibly get any softer, people start suggesting that there’s a role for the police in preventing knife murders. The snowflake generation strikes once again.

Is there any tradition that the radicals won’t ruin? As the brilliant Bree Newsome pointed out on Twitter, “Teenagers have been having fights including fights involving knives for eons.” And now people are calling the cops on them? I ask: Is this a self-governing country or not? When Newsome says, “We do not need police to address these situations by showing up to the scene & using a weapon,” she may be expressing a view that is unfashionable these days. But she’s right.

Disappointingly, my colleague Phil Klein has felt compelled to join the critics. In a post published yesterday, Phil asked in a sarcastic tone whether the police should “somehow treat teenage knife fights as they would harmless roughhousing and simply ignore it.” My answer to this is: Yes, that’s exactly what they should do — yes, even if they are explicitly called to the scene. I don’t know where Phil grew up, but where I spent my childhood, Fridays were idyllic: We’d play some football, try a little Super Mario Bros, have a quick knife fight, and then fire up some frozen pizza before bed. And now law enforcement is getting involved? This is political correctness gone mad.

It’s hypocrisy, too. Who among us hasn’t come within a second or two of murdering someone else with a steak knife? My best friend in school, Bobby “The Blade” Simpson, used to throw shivs at the smaller kids in the music room. Did we need the authorities to step in when that happened? No, we did not. As MSNBC’s Joy Reid argued smartly on her show last night, pranks such as these were dealt with by our teachers — just as we all expected they would be. And if something went wrong? Well, that’s why we had substitutes.

In all honesty, I worry that this sort of helicopter policing is making us weak. Back in my day, the people who survived a good stabbing came out stronger for it. I learned a lot of lessons from my time in the ring: self-reliance, how to overcome fear, the importance of agility, the basics of military field dressing. And, given the turnover, I also learned how to make new friends.

Today, the free-range generation to which I belong is dying out — and, this time, it is not from the wounds inflicted by everyday teenage knife fights but because our politicians and activists simply cannot leave us be. From the time of the Colosseum, our civilization has had a tradition of lightly regulated, highly entertaining combat. Who are we, exactly, to think we know better?

Edited by Andy Dufresne
  • Like 2
  • Love 2

1 hour ago, djmich said:

Given that it says Dear police officers and not Dear Derek Chavin I don't think you can draw that correlation.

I'm not familiar with the meme, but good police are getting #### on because of bad police.  Good police protect us.  I think expressing support is reasonable.

For the record...I think yelling things like Blue Lives Matter at Black Lives Matter rallies is dumb.

This is partly true, but there’s also a bit of “my country- love it or leave it” or “you’re either with us or against us” attitude going on. Unfortunately we’re once again in a time of either-or simplicity. You’re either a Republican or a socialist, You’re either a Democrat or a racist. You’re either for BLM or for the police. And so on. 

2 minutes ago, timschochet said:

This is partly true, but there’s also a bit of “my country- love it or leave it” or “you’re either with us or against us” attitude going on. Unfortunately we’re once again in a time of either-or simplicity. You’re either a Republican or a socialist, You’re either a Democrat or a racist. You’re either for BLM or for the police. And so on. 

Yah sure, are you really quibbling over "a bit".

1 hour ago, IvanKaramazov said:

How many people did you stab when you were 15?

I never stabbed anybody, but 16 year old me did things that current me would be appalled by.   People grow and learn.  As a society we need to reflect on what forces of evil led this child down such a dark path.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Sam Quentin said:

I never stabbed anybody, but 16 year old me did things that current me would be appalled by.   People grow and learn.  As a society we need to reflect on what forces of evil led this child down such a dark path.

Maybe.

But if you're 15/16 and in the process of stabbing someone, we can't stop and ask your age, or what dark forces led you to this dark path.  

If you're trying to kill someone, cop can't stop and say "are you old enough for me to shoot you?"

• Like 4

11 hours ago, dkp993 said:

Please.    

The police officer was supposed to call in a social worker to diffuse the situation first.

• Like 1
  • Laughing 2

2 minutes ago, Sam Quentin said:

I never stabbed anybody, but 16 year old me did things that current me would be appalled by.   

Did any of those things involve the commission of a violent felony?

Maybe I had a sheltered childhood, but when I think back to "stuff I'm kind of embarrassed about" now, it generally involves things like name-calling and picking on other kids, not stabbing them.  Yet people are suddenly talking as if knife fights were just a normal part of growing up.  They weren't, at least for me.

• Like 2

The Ma'khia Bryant incident isn't a police issue.  And we as a country need to stop acting like everytime someone is killed at the hands of police--it's a police problem.  Before we discuss what the police could do better, we need to discuss what the rest of the world could have done better.

She's in Foster care.  So she probably didn't have the perfect home life.  That doesn't mean she's bad or deserves to die.  But something about her childhood environment may have contributed to/ lead up to this moment.  

She was trying to stab someone.  If she isn't stabbing someone, she's alive right now.  Before we discuss "why didn't you shoot her in the leg," why don't we discuss not stabbing people.  

Her parents had to have seen her with a knife.  They had to have seen her going at the other girl.  I don't hear them yelling stop.  I don't see them trying to stop her.  I hear a cop yell down 4 times.  I see her ignore that and proceed to try to stab someone.  

We have a girl in foster care.  We have her trying to stab someone.  We see her ignore the officer demanding she get down.  We see a failure of her parents to intervene.  And somehow, our go to is "why didn't he shoot her leg?"

Let's talk about the ridiculous leg argument. 

What if he shoots for her leg and misses.  And the other girl dies?  Is that not a tragedy?  First goal is NOT to save the stabber's life.  It's to save the victim.  

What if a bullet goes stray/ricochets and hits a bystander?

What if he hits her femoral artery and she bleeds out?  

If you're actively trying to kill someone, you give up your "why didn't you shoot my leg" argument.  

It would be perfect if every cop could use non-lethal force in every situation.  When someone is about to get stabbed--it doesn't seem plausible.  Someone on the news commented the taser might not have reached.  He had his gun out and would have had to have switched.  He definitely didn't have time for a weapon switch.  But WHY DID HE PULL OUT HIS GUN?!?!?

He walks into a situation with several people with a lot of hostility.  One girl falls and a guy kicks her in the had.  The gun is the appropriate move here.  You can't tase every hostile person. And then by the time you can even tell Ma'khia has a knife and react--she's inches away from stabbing the other girl.

• Like 1
  • Love 2

First: I think the Columbus cop shooting was justified. He shot someone threatening people with a knife.

The only question I have and I realize it's a hypothetical, but it was a possibility: pink girl was behind and slightly to the right of the girl with the knife. If she gets shot - and injured or killed - how do we feel? Still justified?

That's the only thing that gives me pause. 

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, jm192 said:

Maybe.

But if you're 15/16 and in the process of stabbing someone, we can't stop and ask your age, or what dark forces led you to this dark path.  

If you're trying to kill someone, cop can't stop and say "are you old enough for me to shoot you?"

Maybe he should have asked for ID...oh wait....:unsure:

13 minutes ago, uwillbsoon said:

First: I think the Columbus cop shooting was justified. He shot someone threatening people with a knife.

The only question I have and I realize it's a hypothetical, but it was a possibility: pink girl was behind and slightly to the right of the girl with the knife. If she gets shot - and injured or killed - how do we feel? Still justified?

So we should weigh the accidental shooting that didn't happen to determine if the cop should have fired vs not fired he could have waited and seen if young peaceful Ma'khia would have dropped the knife at the last second?

14 minutes ago, uwillbsoon said:

There's a million hypotheticals.  What if he misses and a bullet ricochets and hits anyone?  We can do that with every situation ever.

In this instance, he was trained well.  He hit his target and no one else.  So, he made the correct decision and got the correct outcome. 

If the Packers go for the touchdown and win the game--do we stop and ask what if they went for it and didn't get it?  I guess some people do.  But I'm on the side of kudos to a correct decision that pays off.

23 minutes ago, jm192 said:

The Ma'khia Bryant incident isn't a police issue.  And we as a country need to stop acting like everytime someone is killed at the hands of police--it's a police problem.  Before we discuss what the police could do better, we need to discuss what the rest of the world could have done better.

She's in Foster care.  So she probably didn't have the perfect home life.  That doesn't mean she's bad or deserves to die.  But something about her childhood environment may have contributed to/ lead up to this moment.  

She was trying to stab someone.  If she isn't stabbing someone, she's alive right now.  Before we discuss "why didn't you shoot her in the leg," why don't we discuss not stabbing people.  

Her parents had to have seen her with a knife.  They had to have seen her going at the other girl.  I don't hear them yelling stop.  I don't see them trying to stop her.  I hear a cop yell down 4 times.  I see her ignore that and proceed to try to stab someone.  

We have a girl in foster care.  We have her trying to stab someone.  We see her ignore the officer demanding she get down.  We see a failure of her parents to intervene.  And somehow, our go to is "why didn't he shoot her leg?"

Can I add that she's also hanging with someone, who appears much older, perfectly ok with punting a 16 year old girl in the head while she's on the ground, next to a cop.

At some point personal responsibility and upbringing has to be part of the solution. Everyone wants "us" to change and be more inclusive, but sometimes, in situations like this, where is the bar really and are we raising it or lowering it? 

12 minutes ago, uwillbsoon said:

I think it was 100% justified in any case.

I can see questioning the need to fire 4 shots but the result was the police did what they were supposed to do:  stop an attempted murder that was in-progress.  

I am all for black lives matter and making police accountable for unjustified acts of violence but this is not what happened.

It is sad that a 15 year old lost her life but she died because she was trying to kill someone else.   

• Like 2
  • Love 1

2 minutes ago, glvsav37 said:

Can I add that she's also hanging with someone, who appears much older, perfectly ok with punting a 16 year old girl in the head while she's on the ground, next to a cop.

At some point personal responsibility and upbringing has to be part of the solution. Everyone wants "us" to change and be more inclusive, but sometimes, in situations like this, where is the bar really and are we raising it or lowering it? 

I know, that guy was a POS. 

The adults in this situation were more responsible for the death of this girl than the police.

• Thanks 1
  • Love 2

1 minute ago, Godsbrother said:

I know, that guy was a POS. 

The adults in this situation were more responsible for the death of this girl than the police.

Sadly he's not getting the attention he deserves in this whole thing

• Like 3

And as for the "shoot to wound" crowd..."you watch too much TV, kid!" 

Shooting a handgun accurately is really difficult, even for those trained in it and especially when you don't have time to set up and aim. Which, yes, does make situations like this one dangerous for bystanders. 

Expecting a police officer to stop someone by using a "Rick Grimes Zombiekill To The Head From 100 Yards While Riding A Horse" type shot doesn't understand how it works. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Love 1

12 minutes ago, glvsav37 said:

And not to beat up the parents who just lost their daughter, but...

I've heard for the last year is how racist the police are and how they unjustifiably kill black people.  And in some cases, it's very much true.

I don't know how to appropriately word this so forgive me. 

But if there is this perception (and I'm not saying black people are wrong for those fears) that a cop showing up may put your child's life in an elevated state of danger--do you not think I need to get that weapon out of her hand and take away a reason for the police to kill her?

Most black parents I've talked to say they've told their kids how to act around police.  And that's not good or right or fair that that has to happen.  But I think it's appropriate given the state of America. 

But THESE parents couldn't even attempt to get a weapon away from their daughter?  They couldn't tell her to get down or say "Ma'khia stop?"  

Edited by jm192