Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Another killing at the hands of the Police

In The Zone

5 hours ago, PinkydaPimp said:

So now we are tazing Marines.  SMH.  Terrible.  Appears the officer was plain clothes and didnt give a reason.  Strange.  Waiting for more info. 

https://twitter.com/UAloha2/status/1384539565378113545?s=20

Not black so MSM doesn't care.  :shrug:

Headlines are only for black people being taken down by white cops.

Edited by BladeRunner

2 hours ago, Sam Quentin said:

I never stabbed anybody, but 16 year old me did things that current me would be appalled by.   People grow and learn.  As a society we need to reflect on what forces of evil led this child down such a dark path.

To be honest, I'm still wondering how I made it to 52.   I should have received at least 8-10 Darwin Awards back then.

3 hours ago, Sam Quentin said:

It’s not the gender, it’s the age of the assailant.  At that age, a brain is far from being fully developed.  There was a fairly decent chance of her becoming a productive and loving member of society.  And, yes, it is tragic to lose a life.  

All of this statement is completely true, especially the tragedy of the loss of life.  But the shooting was completely justified and the fault lays at the feet of the adults on the scene.  Had they acted with a modicum of responsibility or decency that young girl would still be alive.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Godsbrother said:

I know, that guy was a POS. 

The adults in this situation were more responsible for the death of this girl than the police.

This this and this. As I’ve been saying says since moment one. And where is the talk of this anywhere else but here.  No where that I can find.  It’s ####### disgraceful.  

The disproportionate shootings/killing of Black men and women by police officers is a very real problem and rightly getting the attention it deserves, but where’s the attention for the epidemic of awful parenting (all skin colors included) afflicting this country?  It’s absolutely disgusting that this continues to get glossed over and swept under the rug. 

Edited by dkp993
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, PinkydaPimp said:

its on CNN :shrug:

Did they talk about any legal analysis of it? Did the police have a right to take the phone? 

From what I can see on the case the reason the daughter was in the ICU(or emergency room) is because his fiancee hit her with a car. 

It seems like they would need a warrant to take her phone, but it also seems like they would know that and while being filmed wouldnt just break the law like that(but obviously this isnt 100% since we have seen worse and not only did they know they were being filmed they addressed the filmer).

If they dont have a right to take the phone, that's super messed up. 

If they do have a right to take the phone(maybe some CPS thing or hospital thing) then I dont have a problem with it as I dont believe in just saying oh well, we tried. Especially when a kid got hit by a parents car. 

25 minutes ago, parasaurolophus said:

Did they talk about any legal analysis of it? Did the police have a right to take the phone? 

From what I can see on the case the reason the daughter was in the ICU(or emergency room) is because his fiancee hit her with a car. 

It seems like they would need a warrant to take her phone, but it also seems like they would know that and while being filmed wouldnt just break the law like that(but obviously this isnt 100% since we have seen worse and not only did they know they were being filmed they addressed the filmer).

If they dont have a right to take the phone, that's super messed up. 

If they do have a right to take the phone(maybe some CPS thing or hospital thing) then I dont have a problem with it as I dont believe in just saying oh well, we tried. Especially when a kid got hit by a parents car. 

havent had a chance to read the article yet and gather more info. 

1 hour ago, dkp993 said:

I’m sure LeBron has a tweet ready to go about him any minute.  

IMO...LeBron would do an incredible amount of good for the black community if he focused on highlighting the accomplishments of every day black men.  Blow away anything on policing he comments about.

If he, who was incredibly blessed by birth and who so many look up to, took the time to basically say I'm not the hero I was blessed with this and one in a million.  The hero's are the men who weren't blessed like me, who are busting their ### every day to provide for their family, to raise great kids, working to improve themselves.  The black men who are achieving this despite inherent disadvantages that come with being born black in America.

Imagine if he was driving that home every day.  Imagine if anybody was.

• Like 1
  • Love 3

5 minutes ago, djmich said:

IMO...LeBron would do an incredible amount of good for the black community if he focused on highlighting the accomplishments of every day black men.  Blow away anything on policing he comments about.

If he, who was incredibly blessed by birth and who so many look up to, took the time to basically say I'm not the hero I was blessed with this and one in a million.  The hero's are the men who weren't blessed like me, who are busting their ### every day to provide for their family, to raise great kids, working to improve themselves.  The black men who are achieving this despite inherent disadvantages that come with being born black in America.

Imagine if he was driving that home every day.  Imagine if anybody was.

I agree.  Works similar to mentoring. 

Edited by PinkydaPimp

6 hours ago, Sam Quentin said:

I can’t fault people for trying to think of ways that a tragic death could have been avoided, but this proposal is not actionable.

Joy is a veritable font of "not actionable".

47 minutes ago, PinkydaPimp said:

I'm glad that other cop intervened and got him to stop.  Hopefully he does the same when they ask him to recount what happened. 

That said, watching that and seeing that she kicked at the officer, while he could have certainly handled it better and not hit her in the face, this is probably a 4/10 on a scale of egregious police behavior for me.  Shouldn't happen, deserves a reprimand/additional training/etc, but unless there's a history of other poor behavior, looked like more of a reaction to what she did.  I don't think he was just hitting her to hit her and it didn't look "dangerous" either.

I hope there comes a day when this is the worst we see from police but this is something we can live with and deal with.

• Like 1

Every cop should have to wear a camera, with a goal of every public interaction being recorded.  If an interaction isn't recorded, unless it can be proven there was a technical malfunction, it should result in automatic discipline up to and including possible termination.  It protects the public AND the police officer. 

• Like 4

1 minute ago, gianmarco said:

I'm glad that other cop intervened and got him to stop.  Hopefully he does the same when they ask him to recount what happened. 

That said, watching that and seeing that she kicked at the officer, while he could have certainly handled it better and not hit her in the face, this is probably a 4/10 on a scale of egregious police behavior for me.  Shouldn't happen, deserves a reprimand/additional training/etc, but unless there's a history of other poor behavior, looked like more of a reaction to what she did.  I don't think he was just hitting her to hit her and it didn't look "dangerous" either.

I hope there comes a day when this is the worst we see from police but this is something we can live with and deal with.

lol, I feel maybe a tiny bit less terrible now because my first reaction when viewing was "I was expecting worse".

I get it with the kick, if it was a white dude I'd think "punk was asking for it"...but either way regardless of who it was shouldn't have been handled that way...officer should be penalized.

Jeopardy question...what do you do with a handcuffed physically belligerent person.  Let them run around like a chicken with no head until they pass out? 

Just now, BladeRunner said:

A link to the MSM covering this story 24/7 about police abuse?

And, please, don't play stupid.  You know EXACTLY what I'm talking about.

I never claimed to have a link. I thought it was super humorous that you quoted a news headline then complained about the story not being news headline worthy.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, BroadwayG said:

I never claimed to have a link. I thought it was super humorous that you quoted a news headline then complained about the story not being news headline worthy.

And, of course, the point completely escaped you.  :shrug:

That's why I know you're being deliberately obtuse about this.  You know EXACTLY the point I was making.

And, of course, the point completely escaped you.  :shrug:

That's why I know you're being deliberately obtuse about this.  You know EXACTLY the point I was making.

The point was you made me laugh. Thank you. Sincerely.

If only it were a simple as you're pretending to make it out as.  But, we both know better than that.

I'm sorry a laugh is too complicated for you to understand. I hope things get better.

40 minutes ago, jm192 said:

And not to beat up the parents who just lost their daughter, but...

I've heard for the last year is how racist the police are and how they unjustifiably kill black people.  And in some cases, it's very much true.

I don't know how to appropriately word this so forgive me. 

But if there is this perception (and I'm not saying black people are wrong for those fears) that a cop showing up may put your child's life in an elevated state of danger--do you not think I need to get that weapon out of her hand and take away a reason for the police to kill her?

Most black parents I've talked to say they've told their kids how to act around police.  And that's not good or right or fair that that has to happen.  But I think it's appropriate given the state of America. 

But THESE parents couldn't even attempt to get a weapon away from their daughter?  They couldn't tell her to get down or say "Ma'khia stop?"  

I think the only people that actually have the fear of police are the people that don't put themselves in this situation. I dont believe anybody there was actually afraid of the police. Not a single one of them. They react like the police are just there to deliver some beverages. 

• Love 1

1 minute ago, parasaurolophus said:

I think the only people that actually have the fear of police are the people that don't put themselves in this situation. I dont believe anybody there was actually afraid of the police. Not a single one of them. They react like the police are just there to deliver some beverages. 

A little FEAR can actually be a good thing.  Like Chris Rock said, if the police have to come get you, they're bringin' an ### whoopin' with them.

Edited by BladeRunner

32 minutes ago, PinkydaPimp said:

The worst part of this story IMO isnt that they broke her arm. I can actually forgive that. It isnt the job of police to identify if people are trying to get away because they are crazy, have dementia, are high, or are bad actors. Also she is probably pretty fragile and it didnt really look like he did anything out of the ordinary to her. 

The biggest issue here is that they left her in a holding cell for 6 hours without any medical attention afterwards (still restrained I think, but cant verify this for sure). Then transported her again. There is zero excuse for that. That is no longer an in the moment decision or reaction. That is just bad policy, procedure, actions, everything. 

• Sad 1

5 minutes ago, PinkydaPimp said:

Yes last i checked.  

Thanks.  I just wanted to know because we have so many white-guilt liberals in here ashamed of their own skin that speak on your behalf that having an actual person of color in here to talk to for the some real truth is enlightening. :thumbup:

I'm going to bypass them and come to you directly from now on.  Prepare yourself.  :)

Edited by BladeRunner
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, BladeRunner said:

Thanks.  I just wanted to know because we have so many white-guilt liberals in here ashamed of their own skin that speak on your behalf that having an actual person of color in here to talk to for the some real truth is enlightening. :thumbup:

I'm going to bypass them and come to you directly from now on.  Prepare yourself.  :)

🤫

1 hour ago, parasaurolophus said:

I take personal offense to this. I don't care if someone's a cop or not. If they act that way, they're going to spill my beverage and that's unacceptable.

• Laughing 1

1 hour ago, BladeRunner said:

:lol: 

I am guessing we have exactly 0 posters in here ashamed of their own skin. 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, BladeRunner said:

I disagree, but that's okay. 

"so many"   :lol: 

This is like the post the other day I was bickering with somebody about.  You guys think and post these things, but never seem to actually be able to come up with any posters who actually believe this.   

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, PinkydaPimp said:

Of course.  You keep hammering people with anecdotes and protests that aren't based on actual data and you're gonna sway people.  It's called propaganda. 

https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/propaganda

That's why I keep saying we have to look at the data.

23 minutes ago, John123 said:

Of course.  You keep hammering people with anecdotes and protests that aren't based on actual data and you're gonna sway people.  It's called propaganda. 

Its a poll.  Settle down bud.  Thought folks on both side of the argument would be curious how people feel about this topic. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Da Guru said:

No, I don`t know anyone defending Chauvins action.  I mean nobody. 

Being a police officer right now is a very difficult job and maybe they are just showing support for the people on the street because we do need them.

I do feel bad for Potter.  Unlike Chauvin  It was a obvious mistake in a chaotic situation and years ago that would have been taken in consideration.  Now she will probably serve jail time.

I have a cousin , not too bright,  that thinks it was the fentanyl that killed Floyd and not to fall for the “commie left’s video.” Chavin’s defenders are out there.

2 hours ago, John123 said:

Yet somehow, when asked to provide data, you offer nothing.  Which data would you like us to look at?

• Love 1

9 hours ago, lazyike said:

I have a cousin , not too bright,  that thinks it was the fentanyl that killed Floyd and not to fall for the “commie left’s video.” Chavin’s defenders are out there.

Through work and friends I have interacted with many, many people and have yet to hear one.  There are 350 million people in the country so I am sure there could be some, I just have not talked to any.

• Like 1

https://news.yahoo.com/after-ma-khia-bryants-killing-ohio-state-university-students-demand-the-college-sever-ties-with-columbus-police-182334852.html

(excerpt in italics below)

On Wednesday afternoon, in the midst of finals week, more than 400 Ohio State University students, staff and faculty members attended the sit-in, where attendees chanted, “Say her name” and “Black Lives Matter.” The participants also observed 16 minutes of silence to mark the number of years Bryant had lived. Organizers told the crowd that the protest wasn’t for police reform but for abolition. Following the demonstration, the crowd marched to the Ohio Statehouse, chanting Bryant’s name.

This is pure insanity.  Calls for closer scrutiny of cops in general are warranted, yes, but making a martyr out of someone who was killed when attempting to stab another person with a knife makes the cause look off the rails. 

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, Ghost Rider said:

https://news.yahoo.com/after-ma-khia-bryants-killing-ohio-state-university-students-demand-the-college-sever-ties-with-columbus-police-182334852.html

(excerpt in italics below)

On Wednesday afternoon, in the midst of finals week, more than 400 Ohio State University students, staff and faculty members attended the sit-in, where attendees chanted, “Say her name” and “Black Lives Matter.” The participants also observed 16 minutes of silence to mark the number of years Bryant had lived. Organizers told the crowd that the protest wasn’t for police reform but for abolition. Following the demonstration, the crowd marched to the Ohio Statehouse, chanting Bryant’s name.

This is pure insanity.  Calls for closer scrutiny of cops in general are warranted, yes, but making a martyr out of someone who was killed when attempting to stab another person with a knife makes the cause look off the rails. 

Oof.

So disappointing to see the outrage against this officer.