What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Another killing at the hands of the Police (3 Viewers)

Four cops killed in the line of duty Monday in to Tuesday.  Something that doesn't get talked about much here.......
What is stopping anyone from talking about it?

But lets understand why its a bigger story when innocent people die at the hands of the police.

Because people with power...sworn to protect the public...sometimes have abused that power.  And higher ups have covered for them.  That is the story.  That is the problem this thread is often about.

sho nuff said:
What is stopping anyone from talking about it?

But lets understand why its a bigger story when innocent people die at the hands of the police.

Because people with power...sworn to protect the public...sometimes have abused that power.  And higher ups have covered for them.  That is the story.  That is the problem this thread is often about.
Nothing's stopping anyone from talking about it.  There are a lot of things that don't get talked about on this board.  Pretty sad actually.

PinkydaPimp said:
You omitted part of the title:  “Bodycams haven't lived up to promises of exposing police misconduct. One reason: The police decide what to release.

“Those cameras are supposed to enable the public to see what really happened when someone is killed by police. But the reality has not lived up to the promise. Police departments often get to decide what the public sees and when, exploiting exceptions in the law, selectively releasing clips, and even arguing against release based on a dead person's right to privacy. In some cases, videos have been released as public-relations tools.”

”"It's not a perfect technology. It's not the fantasy we all hoped for," Bueermann said. "Police still kill about 1,000 people a year, but cameras have absolutely improved policing."”

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2021/05/16/police-body-cameras-have-mixed-legacy-criminal-justice-reform/5064170001/
Sure there are multiple reasons.  BLM also is against mass surveilence technologies which criminalize and target black communities including body cameras.  Originally blm was in full support of body cameras, now many are backtracking and feel that body cameras are hurting and targeting blacks.  Some are advocating reforms to how they are used and others are wanting there use banned.  

Last edited by a moderator:
Sure there are multiple reasons.  BLM also is against mass surveilence technologies which criminalize and target black communities including body cameras.  Originally blm was in full support of body cameras, now many are backtracking and feel that body cameras are hurting and targeting blacks.  Some are advocating reforms to how they are used and others are wanting there use banned.  
This is one of the major issues and there should be reform.  Police control what is released and whether the cams are even on(sometimes they arent on without penalty).  Sometimes the video doesnt get released or is heavily edited or the release delayed.  IMO the video should go to a third party, edited only to remove privacy infractions and then automatically released.  Maybe give Lawyers access to the full unedited recordings.  Im all for body cam video whether it exonerates an officer or a person interacting with them. 

DA rules Andrew Brown shooting “justified”

https://www.cnn.com/2021/05/18/us/andrew-brown-jr-press-conference/index.html

I have to say that I’m really bothered by the current situation. Some of these shootings really are justified. This one may have been; who knows?  But the problem is that, in each of these cases,  there is an angry crowd who automatically assumes that it was unjustified and no amount of evidence will persuade them otherwise. Meanwhile there is an angry crowd who automatically assumes that it was justified and no amount of evidence will persuade them either. 

I have to say that I’m really bothered by the current situation. Some of these shootings really are justified. This one may have been; who knows?  But the problem is that, in each of these cases,  there is an angry crowd who automatically assumes that it was unjustified and no amount of evidence will persuade them otherwise. Meanwhile there is an angry crowd who automatically assumes that it was justified and no amount of evidence will persuade them either. 
The need to immediately react regardless of facts has been a huge fuel to much of the unrest.

Do you have video of these crowds?

Are you really surprised by this?  We've been force fed a constant stream of "police are bad" and that there is a racist boogeyman around every corner - FOR EVERY SHOOTING - that people's first instinct now is to riot.  :shrug:

Of course, the race hustlers want this - it's what keeps their pockets lined (Sharpton, Jackson, etc...).

The need to immediately react regardless of facts has been a huge fuel to much of the unrest.
No doubt.  The body cameras really do help and I don't think they are going to go anywhere.  You see in cases what they can deal with.

We do live in this instant world and dearth of facts doesn't seem to deter condemnation/vindication in some cases.  Though, at least, with some of these recording technologies we see that we can get to reasonable conclusions - the case of the female officer mistaking the gun for taser shows her mistake and her state of mind (i.e. horrible mistake).  The case of Adam Toledo also shows how officers are forced to make incredibly quick, life threatening decisions and how these should lead to vindication.

Originally blm was in full support of body cameras, now many are backtracking and feel that body cameras are hurting and targeting blacks.  Some are advocating reforms to how they are used and others are wanting there use banned.  
There should be significant pushback here.  These are a force for truth.

BLM also is against mass surveilence technologies which criminalize and target black communities including body cameras.  
There are definitely privacy issues here.  Should we have cameras in high crime areas?  Should we have gunshot detection systems in high crime areas?

PinkydaPimp said:
”"It's not a perfect technology. It's not the fantasy we all hoped for," Bueermann said. "Police still kill about 1,000 people a year, but cameras have absolutely improved policing."”
Not the best wordage here, as it has a definite negative connotation on police action.

We had a case yesterday in the city here where a guy shot two people in a park (argument over a dog, of all things).  Police tracked him and he shot two officers and was ultimately killed in the gunfight.  Personally I put this one on the green side of the ledger - lumping them all in together is a disservice.

Are you really surprised by this?  We've been force fed a constant stream of "police are bad" and that there is a racist boogeyman around every corner - FOR EVERY SHOOTING - that people's first instinct now is to riot.  :shrug:

Of course, the race hustlers want this - it's what keeps their pockets lined (Sharpton, Jackson, etc...).
Let’s not forget the actual Police behavior that plays a huge part in the distrust of the Police.

Here are a couple recent examples

https://www.tallahassee.com/story/news/local/2020/02/10/accused-drug-planting-deputy-slapped-two-dozen-new-charges/4670519002/

https://www.baltimoresun.com/news/crime/bs-md-ci-pinheiro-ruling-20181109-story.html

https://www.vice.com/en/article/8xvzwp/baltimore-cops-carried-toy-guns-to-plant-on-people-they-shot-trial-reveals-vgtrn

dkp993 said:
Sure, but when dealing with human lives exceptions are a big deal.  Also when policing 300+ million people small percentages of exceptions become large numbers 
uhm...no.

how many black men are killed by police a year?  And then take THAT number and count the number of actual unjustified killings by police. 

uhm...no.

how many black men are killed by police a year?  And then take THAT number and count the number of actual unjustified killings by police
Not going down that rabbit hole with you as the ground has be covered multiple times in the PSF.   We'll have to agree to disagree. 

Alex P Keaton said:
Please provide a single example of anyone in here saying “bodycams suck because they are showing that police misconduct isn’t real.”
Why do you ask me to provide examples of stuff I did not claim?  I posted an excerpt of an article about how the BLM organization is back peddling on their support for body cams because they do not like the results.  I am not sure what that has to do with any posters in here.  

dkp993 said:
Sure, but when dealing with human lives exceptions are a big deal.  Also when policing 300+ million people small percentages of exceptions become large numbers 
But that is the problem with focusing on anecdotal cases.  The masses are being brainwashed to believe these rare events are far more common than they actually are and are creating a more dangerous society as more people start to distrust police and leads to even more people resisting arrest.  

Why do you ask me to provide examples of stuff I did not claim?  I posted an excerpt of an article about how the BLM organization is back peddling on their support for body cams because they do not like the results.  I am not sure what that has to do with any posters in here.  
Apologies if I read your comments from 5/16 at 7:40am in a way that you didn’t intend.  

What point were you trying to make when you posted that bodycams haven’t lived up to their intended purpose?  It seemed like you were suggesting people in here somehow agreed with that view - evidently I was wrong, which is on me.

Apologies if I read your comments from 5/16 at 7:40am in a way that you didn’t intend.  

What point were you trying to make when you posted that bodycams haven’t lived up to their intended purpose?  It seemed like you were suggesting people in here somehow agreed with that view - evidently I was wrong, which is on me.
My point was that BLM believed that body cams would reinforce their worldview that police are just gunning down blacks because they are racists.  But in the majority of cases they have done the opposite and have help exonerate the officer. So maybe cops are not really chasing down black children and shooting them for wearing a hoodie.  Wasn't a suggestion about anyone in here, but more about this narrative that is being peddled might  be exaggerated.  

My point was that BLM believed that body cams would reinforce their worldview that police are just gunning down blacks because they are racists.  But in the majority of cases they have done the opposite and have help exonerate the officer. So maybe cops are not really chasing down black children and shooting them for wearing a hoodie.  Wasn't a suggestion about anyone in here, but more about this narrative that is being peddled might  be exaggerated.  
Cool.  Thanks for the reply and explanation.   Makes sense.

I really like facts, and thus if body cams are showing that most officers act appropriately, that's a really awesome outcome of body cams.   My guess is that most people feel that way, but like everything, I'm sure there are outliers! 

But that is the problem with focusing on anecdotal cases.  The masses are being brainwashed to believe these rare events are far more common than they actually are and are creating a more dangerous society as more people start to distrust police and leads to even more people resisting arrest.  
Sure. Or it’s not as uncommon or rare as you think it is and there are whole portions of society that have already experienced the issues enough to currently be fearful and thus are resisting arrests.  

Sure. Or it’s not as uncommon or rare as you think it is and the are whole portions of society that  have already experienced the issues enough to currently be fearful and thus are resisting arrests.  
When it comes to unjustified killings it is most certainly uncommon.  If you are talking about harassment, it is probably very common.  

When it comes to unjustified killings it is most certainly uncommon.  If you are talking about harassment, it is probably very common.  
It all ties together is the point.  

And as I said and my other post while I agree it’s “uncommon” or a very small percentage of overall police interactions is absolutely accurate, on a scale as large as our country is now the overall number become large.  

It all ties together is the point.  

And as I said and my other post while I agree it’s “uncommon” or a very small percentage of overall police interactions is absolutely accurate, on a scale as large as our country is now the overall number become large.  
I think on a yearly basis you could count it on your fingers.  Given the size of this country and the amount of violent crimes and murders which take place, it is not a problem which should consume all our attention.  It would be far more beneficial to worry about helping reduce the 10,000 murders each year than only worrying about a few cases.  

I think on a yearly basis you could count it on your fingers.  Given the size of this country and the amount of violent crimes and murders which take place, it is not a problem which should consume all our attention.  It would be far more beneficial to worry about helping reduce the 10,000 murders each year than only worrying about a few cases.  
I understand your point but I think we can walk and chew gum at the same time. I also think it’s far more then just what you can count on your fingers but that’s hard to truly substantiate one way or the other. 

The entanglement of the harassment also complicates the matter. When you’re not part of the subset group getting harassed it’s easy to write that off is no big deal, when you’re in that subset I would imagine it’s certainly not so.  

If I were a cop, I would always have it on.  In a world where everyone whips out their smartphone and shoots a video when police are around, the police cam is the one that trumps all.  

First, i think cams(cell phone footage as well) have shown many people that blacks are being treated poorly by the police when many simply didnt believe it was true(some still dont).  Thats why you see this movement over the past few years. 

We also know that holding officers accountable has always been a problem.  Cam footage or not.  That will get sorted out eventually and is being worked on in many jurisdictions.  Until then, i'm just happy we have visibility. 

We also need to ensure the the cams are on always, not being turned off and are edited by a third party so it cant be skewed, altered or messed with.  Until then, yes officers will get exonerated of course.  That's not shocking however.  They look out for each other. 

I understand your point but I think we can walk and chew gum at the same time. I also think it’s far more then just what you can count on your fingers but that’s hard to truly substantiate one way or the other. 

The entanglement of the harassment also complicates the matter. When you’re not part of the subset group getting harassed it’s easy to write that off is no big deal, when you’re in that subset I would imagine it’s certainly not so.  
As a member of the subset, I can tell you that it is a big deal. I have had guns pointed in my face 6 times in my life. 5 were by the police. Only 1 of the 5 times were the police justified in doing so (even that one time wasn’t really justified, wrong place wrong time kind of thing)

None of the 5 times ended with me being shot, arrested or even given a ticket. Just harassed, scared and pissed off.

As a member of the subset, I can tell you that it is a big deal. I have had guns pointed in my face 6 times in my life. 5 were by the police. Only 1 of the 5 times were the police justified in doing so (even that one time wasn’t really justified, wrong place wrong time kind of thing)

None of the 5 times ended with me being shot, arrested or even given a ticket. Just harassed, scared and pissed off.
Damn.  You must look like trouble. ;)   

Why do I get the impression 25 yr old dkp993 would want to party with you.  

Damn.  You must look like trouble. ;)   

Why am i picturing a young Mike Milligan #fargo

Users who are viewing this thread