Jump to content
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Another killing at the hands of the Police


In The Zone

Recommended Posts

Who possibly could have seen this coming....KLB has been a disaster for Atlanta.

@KarmaPolice related to your question to me in another thread and I reference "identity politics".  Not sure how familiar you are with Atlanta and some of the stories including Lance Bottoms instructing police to not enter demonstration zones where subsequently people were killed including a young girl.  But when I say identity politics is harming and killing the people the "virtue signalers" claim to fight for....here's an example of what it has wrought on Atlanta.  It wins elections though...the people get what they deserve I guess.

Mass retirement, resignation and difficulty recruiting

Quote

Thanks @KeishaBottoms @atlcouncil your insolence over the last year has got us here. Some of you and your mindless #DefundThePolice rhetoric has gotten us here, and you mean to tell me a few of you believe you deserve the mayorship?

Anti violence investment

Quote

Funny way of saying “Increasing funding for the police.” Especially when activists/political leaders who are currently running for political offices, on all levels in the city have gone on record to say “Defund the Police.”

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 minutes ago, djmich said:

Who possibly could have seen this coming....KLB has been a disaster for Atlanta.

@KarmaPolice related to your question to me in another thread and I reference "identity politics".  Not sure how familiar you are with Atlanta and some of the stories including Lance Bottoms instructing police to not enter demonstration zones where subsequently people were killed including a young girl.  But when I say identity politics is harming and killing the people the "virtue signalers" claim to fight for....here's an example of what it has wrought on Atlanta.  It wins elections though...the people get what they deserve I guess.

Mass retirement, resignation and difficulty recruiting

Anti violence investment

 

From the linked article the officer said:

Quote

His view of the department changed following the arrest of six Atlanta police officers after a video surfaced of them pulling two college students out of their car during a protest.

The incident went viral and only added to the distance and vitriol growing between law enforcement and the people they are paid to police. Cooper said the officers were following directives from higher-ups but were thrown under the bus by leadership who should have had their backs.

"The direction this department has taken is nothing more than sad," he wrote. "I was a long-time believer in our leadership, but I am now disappointed to find out just truly how poor it is."

So are these officers mad they are being held accountable now?  Mad that leadership isnt?  Both?  To be fair, i think leadership should be held accountable as well.  But i feel like alot of this butthurtness is that officers cant police they way the prefer to police and cant get away with whatever they wish. 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, zoonation said:

I am liberal when it comes to most issues. “Defund the police” has to be one of the dumbest ideas, on multiple levels, that I have ever heard.  

the marketing of that concept was less than stellar.  :shrug: 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

24 minutes ago, PinkydaPimp said:

From the linked article the officer said:

So are these officers mad they are being held accountable now?  Mad that leadership isnt?  Both?  To be fair, i think leadership should be held accountable as well.  But i feel like alot of this butthurtness is that officers cant police they way the prefer to police and cant get away with whatever they wish. 

In that specific example they were saying that they were mad that they were following instructions and being hung out to dry.  I don't know anything about the particulars of those officers or the incident, I'm more interested in the overall outcomes/statistics.  If your point is that bad people will quit or not join to begin with...I agree that will be one outcome of many and that is one good outcome of many good and bad ones.

My overall point about identity politics is that we need leaders leading, not politicians politicking.  A leader would understand that the police force is the tool they have to protect their citizens and when you #### it up, however noble you tell yourself you are being and pats on the back you get from your political friends...your killing people and ruining lives.  A leader hugs people they don't want to hug because they know it will save lives.  A leader is willing to get some eye rolls from friends because they know they are doing what needs to be done.

Its really not that hard...but it is hard because because politics don't allow for it. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

24 minutes ago, PinkydaPimp said:

the marketing of that concept was less than stellar.  :shrug: 

That + implementation.  

I think it's similar to the border, I was ok with the ideas, but there was no plan.  IF the underlying goal is to take pressure off cops with social workers, demilitarize, train better/differently, etc.  Cool, but that takes time and planning.  

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

48 minutes ago, djmich said:

In that specific example they were saying that they were mad that they were following instructions and being hung out to dry.  I don't know anything about the particulars of those officers or the incident, I'm more interested in the overall outcomes/statistics.  If your point is that bad people will quit or not join to begin with...I agree that will be one outcome of many and that is one good outcome of many good and bad ones.

My overall point about identity politics is that we need leaders leading, not politicians politicking.  A leader would understand that the police force is the tool they have to protect their citizens and when you #### it up, however noble you tell yourself you are being and pats on the back you get from your political friends...your killing people and ruining lives.  A leader hugs people they don't want to hug because they know it will save lives.  A leader is willing to get some eye rolls from friends because they know they are doing what needs to be done.

Its really not that hard...but it is hard because because politics don't allow for it. 

Truth.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Thought THIS article had interesting info in it.  Sorry if it was shared in here, it is a couple months old, I just stumbled on it now while waking up.  

 

The report looked at police training requirements in more than 100 countries and found that the US had among the lowest, in terms of average hours required.

Also, many other countries require officers to have a university degree - or equivalent - before joining the police, but in the US most forces just require the equivalent of a high-school diploma.

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 Miami Beach police officers face battery charges after rough arrests Officers caught on camera beating, kicking 2 men at hotel

What were the officers thinking, with body cams, hotel cams, and bystander cell phones? Charges of misdeamor assault are likely to be upgraded. Only 2 of 21 officers tried to calm down the officers assaulting the victim who was face down and handcuffed. My guess is the overreaction was related to one officers suffering a leg injury from the scooter ridden by the victim.  

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Miami Beach officers acted like thugs. Looks like they learned nothing from George Floyd | Editorial

The victim wasn't killed, but kicking him in the head and slamming his head onto a concrete floor could've killed him. It's disturbing that none of the 16 other officers intervened, although apparently 2 made some effort. Silence is built into the culture of many organizations. Some irony that the beating took place in the lobby of what was once a black-owned hotel (Don Peebles).

>>A gang of hoodlums surrounded a victim. Any rattled witness would have called the police. But the hoodlums were the police, if the video released Monday is any indication. It shows a tangle of Miami Beach officers beating a handcuffed suspect in a hotel lobby, kicking him and slamming his head onto the hard terrazzo floor, then tackling and punching a hotel guest who dared to videotape this violence, which was his right to do. Excessive use of force is an understatement.

The officers will get their day in court, but the eyes don’t lie, which likely why Beach Police Chief Richard Clements and Miami-Dade State Attorney Katherine Fernandez Rundle moved with stunning speed to suspend, then charge five officers in this brutal incident — before releasing the video to the public. It’s that bad.

The police beatings occurred a week earlier, at 1:25 a.m. on July 26 in the lobby of the Royal Palm Hotel. But the video footage — a compilation of hotel-security and police body-cam videos — had been kept out of the public eye until Monday.

The four-minute clip released by Fernandez Rundle shows a stomach-turning display of police brutality, made more stunning in that it was captured after nationwide demands for police accountability.

“Excessive force can never, ever be an acceptable foundation for the policing of any community,” she said. Fernandez Rundle was right to move quickly in this egregious case. In the past, she hasn’t been so nimble in charging renegade officers. She deserves credit for acting almost immediately now. The out-of-control arrest of Dalonta Crudup, 24, who allegedly struck an officer with his scooter, then fled, demands accountability.

Here, every officer who seemed to show up just to land a blow on Crudup, or beat up the bystander videotaping, Khalid Vaughn, 28, of New York, has been criminally charged.

A member of the department’s leadership staff took the video to the chief, another move we applaud, although it’s unclear if fellow officers reported excessive force by colleagues, much less intervened in the beatings, as required by state law. The department blew the whistle on itself.<<

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I don't think this type of abuse of authority, and willingness of other officers to allow it to continue, stops until there is a financial incentive to make it stop.  I have suggested before in this forum that we need to stop the practice of paying lawsuits and settlements for police brutality (and wrongful death) from general taxpayer funds, and start having them paid from police pension funds.

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...
On 4/8/2015 at 12:30 PM, RedmondLonghorn said:

I don't consider myself racist, but I do consider the above statement to be one of the biggest pieces of PC garbage I have ever read here.


I miss THIS RedmondLonghorn. Not the fist to power, but the fist to bull####

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, FairWarning said:

A veeeeery conservative town.  I know that area very well.  

This fits right in some of the other threads as yet another barrier to move to certain neighborhoods.  I had a similar experience to this.  Was helping a friend move stuff into his house they thought i was robbing the place and called the cops.  🤦🏽‍♂️

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, PinkydaPimp said:

This fits right in some of the other threads as yet another barrier to move to certain neighborhoods.  I had a similar experience to this.  Was helping a friend move stuff into his house they thought i was robbing the place and called the cops.  🤦🏽‍♂️

OTOH my brother did sell his house in that city to a professional black family for very good money.  In the above story, it does suck for the realtor, that’s just awful police work. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

20 minutes ago, glvsav37 said:

So i'm confused...are we for defunding the police, or are we not? 

The Senate, Including Sanders, Votes to Penalize Local Governments That Defund the Police

This about face was completely expected.  There will be lots of denials from blue politician that they actually meant to defund police when they talked about defunding the police.

  • Laughing 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Quote

 

The loophole comes when you realize that all the amendments the Senate went through are entirely nonbinding. Committees aren’t required to act on any of them. That goes double when you realize “a deficit-neutral reserve fund” is basically a work of fiction.

Dylan Matthews — now at Vox, then writing for The Washington Post — explained it like this in 2013:

Quote

 

As this CRS report explains, Section 310(d) of the Budget Act "bars the consideration of any amendment to a reconciliation bill that would increase the deficit." Hence the "deficit-neutral" part.

And what about "reserve fund"? According to CRS, "'Reserve fund' refers to any provision establishing procedures to revise spending or revenue levels, or both, if certain legislation is enacted or some other condition is met." So that specifies that the policies for which reserve funds are established won't take effect unless other legislation gets passed as well.

 

Translation: None of this matters. For Hawley's or Tuberville's amendment to come into effect, Congress would have to actually pass new laws in this upcoming fiscal year that involve hiring more police or punishing cities that defund their police forces. And that’s not happening anytime soon.

So why go through the hassle? And why would Democrats vote for these Republican amendments that do nothing but make their liberal and progressive supporters angry? Well, Sen. Cory Booker, D-N.J., made that pretty clear in a speech praising Tuberville’s amendment.

Quote

 

"This is a gift," Cory Booker says in an animated speech praising Tommy Tuberville's non-binding amendment to punish localities that defund the police.

"I am sure I will see no political ads attacking anybody here over defund the police."

It passed 99-0, all Dems voted for it. pic.twitter.com/GUqAfcSlxH

— Andrew Solender (@AndrewSolender) August 11, 2021

 

 

 

https://www.msnbc.com/opinion/why-democrats-voted-josh-hawley-s-imaginary-police-hiring-drive-n1276719

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, PinkydaPimp said:

interesting link. Thanks for sharing. 

It highlights how confusing the inner workings of gov't at those levels are and how it is super easy to find a nugget of a larger picture and blow it up for any agenda you want. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

https://www.npr.org/2021/08/25/1030977804/trooper-hits-black-motorist-18-times-flashlight-pain-compliance?utm_source=twitter.com&utm_campaign=npr&utm_term=nprnews&utm_medium=social

Quote

Graphic body camera video kept secret for more than two years shows a Louisiana State Police trooper pummeling a Black motorist 18 times with a flashlight — an attack the trooper defended as "pain compliance."

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
  • Create New...