What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Another killing at the hands of the Police (12 Viewers)

It’s possible

I DO NOT think that the actual shooting was racially motivated, the traffic stop COULD have been.  

Obviously, we don’t see everything that the driver was doing before he was pulled over but we do see him using a turn signal when he makes the right. We don’t know if he was speeding but I assume that he wasn’t because when he askes the officer what he did wrong the officer reply’s that the tags don’t match the car. We don’t know why the officer is running the tags.

Every police officer behind you at a red light is running your tags.  They do it all day in all areas.

The guy who got shot was stabbed 4 times in a fight a couple years ago and survived.  Trouble just seems to find some people.

I was more disturbed by the shot to the back of the head.  The cop was on top and could have safely retreated when he lost control of his taser.

Running the tags may have been the result of profiling.  Patrick had been arrested 3 times before in relation to stolen cars.  I can understand both sides of the profiling issue.  It's an unfair nuisance to innocent people who happen to match the profile.  On the other hand, don't crime statistics support common sense policing?  If more cops disengage and choose to be less active, the whole community will suffer from emboldened criminals and increased crime.
Going to need to some real world evidence to back this up....

I kid. I kid. 

I was more disturbed by the shot to the back of the head.  The cop was on top and could have safely retreated when he lost control of his taser.

Running the tags may have been the result of profiling.  Patrick had been arrested 3 times before in relation to stolen cars.  I can understand both sides of the profiling issue.  It's an unfair nuisance to innocent people who happen to match the profile.  On the other hand, don't crime statistics support common sense policing?  If more cops disengage and choose to be less active, the whole community will suffer from emboldened criminals and increased crime.
Haven't recent studies shown that increased funding on police mostly results in increases in nuisance arrests and little else?

Every police officer behind you at a red light is running your tags.  They do it all day in all areas.

The guy who got shot was stabbed 4 times in a fight a couple years ago and survived.  Trouble just seems to find some people.
not just at red light, many po cars have automatic plate readers that scan (and record) for plates while you are driving around. if you are in the proximity of a cop and your tags throw up a red flag, the cop will be alerted right then and there. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Haven't recent studies shown that increased funding on police mostly results in increases in nuisance arrests and little else?

Another study proved when people are educated to do the right thing when stopped, comply, there is rarely any type of incident. Most of these types of incidents are when the perps are fighting with police or have broken the law and police had to be called.

I have been arrested twice myself and both times it was deserved, but no way would I try to fight a cop and take his taser, that never ends well.

Another study proved when people are educated to do the right thing when stopped, comply, there is rarely any type of incident. Most of these types of incidents are when the perps are fighting with police or have broken the law and police had to be called.

I have been arrested twice myself and both times it was deserved, but no way would I try to fight a cop and take his taser, that never ends well.
It is insane to me that in today's society a known criminal could get stopped and try to take an officers weapon or try to run them over and many, many people want to focus on why the police stopped that person. 

They could have 10 open warrants, a car with no rear bumper, a cracked up windshield, and driving on a donut and you get people asking, oh yeah, why would they run his plates? 

It is insane to me that in today's society a known criminal could get stopped and try to take an officers weapon or try to run them over and many, many people want to focus on why the police stopped that person. 

They could have 10 open warrants, a car with no rear bumper, a cracked up windshield, and driving on a donut and you get people asking, oh yeah, why would they run his plates? 
Did the policeman stop the person before or after the person took the taser?  If before, then the taking of the taser is 100% irrelevant to why the person was stopped.

It seems that far too many people are willing to brush off bad actions by police with a "criminals deserve it" attitude instead of evaluating the actual actions of police.  Police should be held to a higher standard.

I'm really not sure how any of this is relevant.  Either the police acted appropriately or they didn't.  If the police acted inappropriately, why can't we just call it out instead of whatabout-ing the actions of the victim?

I'm really not sure how any of this is relevant.  Either the police acted appropriately or they didn't.  If the police acted inappropriately, why can't we just call it out instead of whatabout-ing the actions of the victim?

Appropriate or inappropriate has yet to be decided. With no back up it will be interesting.

There was going to be a victim here one way or the other.  Just seems when you fight police and end up on the ground fighting for his taser you are rolling the dice on your own safety. Do you agree?

Last edited by a moderator:
Appropriate or inappropriate has yet to be decided. With no back up it will be interesting.

There was going to be a victim here one way or the other.  Just seems when you fight police and end up on the ground fighting for his taser you are rolling the dice on your own safety. Do you agree?
Sure.  No one to my knowledge is arguing that the victim should have grabbed the taser.  It just seems that these discussions always devolve into "she shouldn't have worn that dress" instead of whether the police acted appropriately.

https://www.foxnews.com/us/fbi-christopher-wray-police-officer-murders

FBI director says violence directed at police officers unlike anything he's seen before

There were 73 police officers murdered in 2021

"Some of it is tied to the violent crime problem as a whole. But one of the phenomena that we saw in the last year is that an alarming percentage of the 73 law enforcement officers killed in the line of duty last year were killed through things like being ambushed or shot while out on patrol. ... Wearing the badge shouldn't make you a target," he continued.

The National Fraternal Order of Police announced earlier in April that shootings of police officers had spiked 43% so far in 2022. The police union said 101 police officers had been shot in 2022 alone as of April 1. 

Sure.  No one to my knowledge is arguing that the victim should have grabbed the taser.  It just seems that these discussions always devolve into "she shouldn't have worn that dress" instead of whether the police acted appropriately.

In this case so many things the perp did led to the end result.  I don`t want to see anyone get shot, the perp or the police.

But once you are engaged is a ground struggle with an armed police officer it is going to be a dangerous situation for both people. The officer is thinking if I lose my weapon I am dead.

I haven't seen the studies but it sounds plausible.  I would never argue for increased funding of the police.  They already receive more than enough.  My point was that if more cops disengage and sit in their car scrolling through their cell phone rather than patrolling the block, that whole community will suffer.

Did the policeman stop the person before or after the person took the taser?  If before, then the taking of the taser is 100% irrelevant to why the person was stopped.

It seems that far too many people are willing to brush off bad actions by police with a "criminals deserve it" attitude instead of evaluating the actual actions of police.  Police should be held to a higher standard.
The taking of the taser is irrelevant to why he was stopped but it is relevant to why he was killed.  I'm not one who defends cops.  Too many of them are above the law ego maniacs.  Even the "professional courtesy" that they grant each other is a disgrace, but I'll never be in a position to change human nature.

I don't believe it has been revealed if this cop had an automatic plate reader or if he did it manually. I suspect he did it manually.  Because of profiling?  Probably.  If that was your stolen car, you might be grateful for profiling.  Patrick had multiple previous arrests for stolen cars, assaulting girlfriends, and DUIs, one of which was pending sentencing when he was killed.  Maybe that was a factor in his decision making.  I think the cop should be charged for his kill shot but it seems we disagree about the merits of profiling.

https://www.foxnews.com/us/fbi-christopher-wray-police-officer-murders

FBI director says violence directed at police officers unlike anything he's seen before

There were 73 police officers murdered in 2021

"Some of it is tied to the violent crime problem as a whole. But one of the phenomena that we saw in the last year is that an alarming percentage of the 73 law enforcement officers killed in the line of duty last year were killed through things like being ambushed or shot while out on patrol. ... Wearing the badge shouldn't make you a target," he continued.

The National Fraternal Order of Police announced earlier in April that shootings of police officers had spiked 43% so far in 2022. The police union said 101 police officers had been shot in 2022 alone as of April 1. 
https://www.reddit.com/r/PublicFreakout/comments/uble8v/cops_pepper_spray_15_year_old_for_taking_a/

Cops dole out a lot more pain than they receive.  You may say that videos like the one above are anecdotal, similar to how videos of woke teachers are anecdotal, but I think this behavior is ingrained in cop culture.  

The article didn't say how many of the 73 were ambushed as opposed to killed by a fleeing suspect.  Regardless, the general animus towards cops has been earned.

MN Human Rights probe finds pattern of racism in Minneapolis Police Department

Among the troubling behaviors and comments, the report found:

MPD officers used covert social media accounts to pose as Black community members to criticize city officials and members of NAACP.  That social media work wasn’t part of any criminal investigation, said Lucero.

MPD officers are more likely to use more severe force against Black people than white people in similar circumstances, and treat Black and white people differently during traffic stops because of race.

The department teaches an approach to policing “that emphasizes aggression,” helping create a “culture that results in unnecessary escalation and/or excessive force during encounters with community members of all racial backgrounds.”

“MPD maintains an organizational culture where officers consistently use racist, misogynistic, and otherwise disrespectful language" against suspects and community members, and when that behavior surfaces on body camera video, it makes prosecutions harder “and therefore undermines the criminal justice system.”

An officer investigating a sexual assault case allegedly said that a man could not be guilty of rape if he and his victim had children together.

It seems to me that this story represents an area where there should be broad consensus across the ideological divide that this kind of fishing expedition should be illegal. 

A college women's lacrosse team feels traumatized after its charter bus was stopped by police while traveling through Georgia, an incident that has left the school's president "incensed."

The Delaware State University women’s lacrosse team was traveling north on I-95 in Liberty County, Georgia, southwest of Savannah, on April 20. The Hornets were returning home after playing their final game of the season at Stetson University in Deland, Florida, on April 19.

Bus driver Tim Jones was initially told he was improperly traveling in the left lane when the bus was pulled over, according to DSU’s student publication The Hornet Newspaper and its website thehornetonline.com. The incident was first detailed there in a story that published Friday written by Sydney Anderson, a sophomore lacrosse player who was on the bus.

Video accompanying the story taken by DSU player Saniya Craft shows an officer saying, "If there is anything in y’all’s luggage, we’re probably gonna find it, OK? I’m not looking for a little bit of marijuana but I’m pretty sure you guys’ chaperones are probably gonna be disappointed in you if we find any."

By that time, Liberty County Sheriff’s Office deputies had begun removing players’ bags from the vehicle’s cargo bay to search after asking Jones to open it. Police had a drug-sniffing dog at the scene.

Deputies knew those on board were on a lacrosse team.

"If there is something in there that’s questionable," the deputy speaking on the bus said, "please tell me now, because if we find it, guess what? We’re not gonna be able to help you."

(snip)
There's also a racial angle here that fits the thread, but that's irrelevant.  White drivers get pulled over for pretextual drug stops all the time.  My understanding -- anybody who works in law enforcement or criminal defense should feel free to correct me -- is that that's the whole rationale for deploying K9 units on traffic patrol. 

"I'm not looking for a little bit of marijuana . . ." Yes you are.  That's why you pulled over a bus full of college students.  You know they're not trafficking, but you figure the odds are in your favor of finding a little weed.  

It seems to me that this story represents an area where there should be broad consensus across the ideological divide that this kind of fishing expedition should be illegal. 

There's also a racial angle here that fits the thread, but that's irrelevant.  White drivers get pulled over for pretextual drug stops all the time.  My understanding -- anybody who works in law enforcement or criminal defense should feel free to correct me -- is that that's the whole rationale for deploying K9 units on traffic patrol. 

"I'm not looking for a little bit of marijuana . . ." Yes you are.  That's why you pulled over a bus full of college students.  You know they're not trafficking, but you figure the odds are in your favor of finding a little weed.  

That's disgusting.  Seems illegal as well.

Users who are viewing this thread