What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

*** Official Marvel's Daredevil series on Netflix (1 Viewer)

GregR

Footballguy
New Daredevil television series on Netflix.

Others have warned it's not fit viewing for kids, so watch it yourself and decide before letting kids watch.

Amazing. Marvel does it again. It's the same universe (Hell's Kitchen was devastated by the alien attack on NYC in Avengers), but so much darker. And shot beautifully. Looks like Marvel on HBO...just no nudity. Other than that, it's perfect.

Edit: We're on episode six and loving it

Last edited by a moderator:
A few threads have discussed it.

I don't like super hero stuff, but this show rules.
That's what really works about daredevil, he's enhanced but not super duper powered.

Has many elements of Batman which is Frank Miller's doing since he wore them both.

Totally in. Was waiting to see some feedback of the kid friendly (or unfriendly) aspect of this before I dive into it. Looks like it will just be me and the wife watching this, but I'm stoked for it based on the reviews I've seen so far, although my kids are a bit bummed.

I was sitting here wondering for a bit who the actress that looked so much like Rosario Dawson was. I didn't think she was doing television.

Totally in. Was waiting to see some feedback of the kid friendly (or unfriendly) aspect of this before I dive into it. Looks like it will just be me and the wife watching this, but I'm stoked for it based on the reviews I've seen so far, although my kids are a bit bummed.
How old are your kids? I'd say if they are 12 or older they'll be fine.

How old are your kids?
Yeah

It's not that bad. Can't be worse than a lot of other movies out there rated PG13.

10+ years old should be fine to handle it.

Done with episode 2. Question about the father's boxing opponent.

Is the boxer the father beat related to Absorbing Man?

How old are your kids? I'd say if they are 12 or older they'll be fine.
Man, the beheading scene was pretty intense for me and i'm in my 30's

I think this is Rated R kind of stuff, they are torturing people, stabbing people, blood is dripping, people are dying, S bombs are flying......

2 episodes in. Bit of a slow crawl but I like it. Fight scene in the hallway of episode 2 was incredible.
I LOVED the fight scene at the end of episode 2. Daredevil comes across as powerful and vulnerable/human at the same time. Really, really, impressed by how the director/writer managed that scene.

Really enjoyed the pilot

Jessica from true blood :wub: hope she sticks around

This is weird bc some people are done with the season. I see some spoilers already. Not sure how to go about the thread. Ill probably be done by end of the week

I binge watched over Friday and Saturday and am done. I'll put my comments in spoilers.

I mostly enjoyed it, even though excessively dark superhero stories are a pet peeve of mine. The Marvel universe tells lots of other stories, though, so I was OK with it for Daredevil, where it makes sense. With that said, I did find 13 episodes of Matt's masochism a little bit tough to take toward the middle to late episodes. I thought the show stalled somewhat when Matt and Foggy had their falling out. I also felt that the plotting was a bit rudimentary, which made Fisk seem less of a criminal mastermind than we're supposed to take him for.

With that said, it was interesting to see D'Onofrio's performance, which was full of vulnerability and loneliness, which animated his rage. I liked that a lot of subthreads are still out there to explore (I assume Nobu is affiliated with The Hand, but I have no clue who Madame Gao is supposed to be.

I think the obvious comparison among network superhero shows is Arrow. Where Arrow had the plot where Oliver had to grow beyond being a vigilante into being a hero, Daredevil's arc is showing Matt evolving into a hero with more to offer than being able to take a hellacious beating.

Can you watch this without being a super marvel nerd? I pretty much know nothing and would get no enjoyment of any Easter egg type stuff.

Capella said:
Can you watch this without being a super marvel nerd? I pretty much know nothing and would get no enjoyment of any Easter egg type stuff.
stands alone better than anything they've done IMO

Watched the first episode and loved it. My 14 year old was good with it but my 12 year old was bothered by the opening scene and closing scene (both involved children).

Just watched the first episode. Kindof meh but you can tell they laid the ground work for the series. My question for those a few episodes in:

Do they ever explain his "powers" and how he anticipates the fights and what not? I know in one of the movies that showed how he "heard" and "felt" through the airwaves or whatever. Its just a little annoying to try and believe a totally blind man can just get around NYC and beat the crap out of people

Just watched the first episode. Kindof meh but you can tell they laid the ground work for the series. My question for those a few episodes in:

Do they ever explain his "powers" and how he anticipates the fights and what not? I know in one of the movies that showed how he "heard" and "felt" through the airwaves or whatever. Its just a little annoying to try and believe a totally blind man can just get around NYC and beat the crap out of people
yes they explain his powers/abilities

what episode?

what episode?
around episode 8 to 10. 13 total episodes

So good. Just finished episode 10.

I'm not up on the source material, DD is a character I never really followed which I see was a mistake, anyways...I hope Foggy comes around

2 episodes in and it's excellent, although the initial costume reminds me of Antonio Banderas in Zorro.

watched the first. i felt it was pretty meh and a little surprised by the enthusiasm for it. it could borrow from a little Whedon influence and be markedly improved.

what episode?
could you explain it to me then please, spoiler if you need. I am just having a hard time suspending belief that a blind dude can be such a bad ###

what episode?
could you explain it to me then please, spoiler if you need. I am just having a hard time suspending belief that a blind dude can be such a bad ###
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Daredevil_(Marvel_Comics)

I'm in. The only *minor* complaint/issue I have is that the fact that he's blind plays virtually no role in the show IMO. I'm not sure how it was in the comics, but I haven't fully bought into how he just knows where everything is, can get around the city, not to mention block a million blows without being able to see.

I'm around episode 6 I think.

Also if you're trying to hide your identity, maybe don't wear a mask that clearly covers your eyes, making it reasonable to assume that you're blind. Kinda narrows down the field.

I'm in. The only *minor* complaint/issue I have is that the fact that he's blind plays virtually no role in the show IMO. I'm not sure how it was in the comics, but I haven't fully bought into how he just knows where everything is, can get around the city, not to mention block a million blows without being able to see.

I'm around episode 6 I think.

Also if you're trying to hide your identity, maybe don't wear a mask that clearly covers your eyes, making it reasonable to assume that you're blind. Kinda narrows down the field.
in the comics they very carefully explain that essentially he has almost a sonar type of vision. His impeccable hearing and sense of touch combined with the experiences he garnered from having 9 years of sight before going blind from the radioactive goo combine to give him that sonar sense of the world.

This series does minimize his blind-ness moreso than any iteration of Daredevil though IMO. Even the mostly horrible daredevil movie focused more on his blindness.

Also in the comics the black suit is only a Frank Miller thing with his origin before he shifts into the traditional Red Suit. Daredevil #1 has Murdock in a yellow suit before he transitions to the pure Red in issue #7. But the Daredevil that everyone associates with didn't come about until after Miller wrote "the Man without fear"

Watched episode 1. As others said, I'm not usually into the superhero stuff, but this kept my attention. Please tell me each episode isn't full of 20 blind jokes, though. That's going to get annoying.

Where does this fit into the rest of the Marvel stuff, especially the movies?
It takes place in the MCU, some time after Avengers. Supposedly Netflix is in discussion to produce other Marvel series.

Users who are viewing this thread