What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

*** Official Marvel's Daredevil series on Netflix (1 Viewer)

Thunderlips said:
Got to say, I'm not in love with Donofrio. He comes across as Private Pyle not killing himself and instead growing up to run a criminal empire. IIRC, Kingpin was arrogant and sure of himself; something that D'onofrio isn't conveying. Granted, I'm only 9 episodes in...so maybe he grows more into that. Where I like him very much is in his relationship with Vanessa as I think that's pretty spot on.
I think what's in the show is accurate to the character. In the comics, the Kingpin has moments of irrational childlike rage. For example I recall when Daredevil was really getting under his skin, the Kingpin goes into rage, destroying his weight room whilst trying to kill a fly with the barbell and weights he'd just been pressing. After the rage subsides and reason returns, he sees it as an analogy of his failure to crush Daredevil/Murdock.

Last edited by a moderator:
So, I loved the first half of the season, but thought it waned at the end. The last 4 episodes or so kind of dragged for me, and I found myself watching just to get through it, not because I loved watching.

was home from work sick this week and power watched every episode ...kept me glued episode after episode ....very entertained....like when a certain old someone had a certain something happen to her and the characters looked genuinely upset ...for a comic book show thats pretty good...waiting for season 2 with much hope

Just got done episode 2. That was bad ###. Yea a bit unrealistic but still more real than most comic book fights. I'm in.

I had some nitpicks...

It bothered me that they kept referring to Hells Kitchen as if it was its own city.

I thought it was almost too realistic. I know that that was what they were going for but I like. Alittle more comic book feel to my comic adaptations.

Also, the ending was wierd. They arrested Kingpin a second time. How was that any different than the first time? The cop radioed in his location which the bad guys couldve came to.

Anyway, all minor nitpicks and the finale itself was awesome. I wish they had a teaser for next year.

Through 4 episodes so far. I wouldn't have given this series a look if it wasn't for this thread. Not into Daredevil the hero and the movie sucked, plus I'm usually a very tough critic when it comes to TV Shows/movies in general. Overall, it's not bad. It's not great, but it's kept me interested to watch more which is all I can ask from a TV series. I'm not one to liken to suspend disbelief on what characters do, I like things to be realistic, and this show clearly asks you to assume the blind guy is basically batman, but that's the license they're dealing with so I'll give them a pass because the rest of it seems solid. Will post an update the further I get in.

Through 4 episodes so far. I wouldn't have given this series a look if it wasn't for this thread. Not into Daredevil the hero and the movie sucked, plus I'm usually a very tough critic when it comes to TV Shows/movies in general. Overall, it's not bad. It's not great, but it's kept me interested to watch more which is all I can ask from a TV series. I'm not one to liken to suspend disbelief on what characters do, I like things to be realistic, and this show clearly asks you to assume the blind guy is basically batman, but that's the license they're dealing with so I'll give them a pass because the rest of it seems solid. Will post an update the further I get in.
I would imagine most comic book related material, or fiction in general wouldn't be up your alley then.

This is by far the most "realistic" take on a superhero that Marvel has done... It really doesn't go that much further with its liberties than like Bourne Series or Taken series.. except that the dude is blind.

I would imagine most comic book related material, or fiction in general wouldn't be up your alley then.

This is by far the most "realistic" take on a superhero that Marvel has done... It really doesn't go that much further with its liberties than like Bourne Series or Taken series.. except that the dude is blind.
You'd be wrong for the most part. After all, nearly all movies are fiction. The dude being blind is a big one, and while I realize some form of ecolocation an enhanced senses is possible, if not probable, a lot of the things he does are simply over-the-top imo. Is it more realistic than 'super' heroes? Yes, absolutely, but that's not a fair comparison. Again, I'm not very familiar with the character Daredevil before this series so there is no nostalgia for me so that might be a part of it.

I think my favorite part is that the opening isn't a synopsis of the whole plot. Hardly see simple openings anymore.

A bit underwhelmed by Kingpin though.

I had some nitpicks...

It bothered me that they kept referring to Hells Kitchen as if it was its own city.

I thought it was almost too realistic. I know that that was what they were going for but I like. Alittle more comic book feel to my comic adaptations.

Also, the ending was wierd. They arrested Kingpin a second time. How was that any different than the first time? The cop radioed in his location which the bad guys couldve came to.

Anyway, all minor nitpicks and the finale itself was awesome. I wish they had a teaser for next year.
Hell's Kitchen is the actual nickname for part of NYC. Doesn't seem odd to me. NYers talk about SoHo, Manhatten, Brooklyn, Queens, Bronx, Harlem, Greenwich Village, China Town etc. in the same ways. All part of the city, but each has their own distinct identity for those that live in the city.

You'd be wrong for the most part. After all, nearly all movies are fiction. The dude being blind is a big one, and while I realize some form of ecolocation an enhanced senses is possible, if not probable, a lot of the things he does are simply over-the-top imo. Is it more realistic than 'super' heroes? Yes, absolutely, but that's not a fair comparison. Again, I'm not very familiar with the character Daredevil before this series so there is no nostalgia for me so that might be a part of it.
His senses and radar sense are above and beyond human capabilities. And his agility/dexterity is enhanced nearly to the level of Spider-man, a notch above Captain America, and higher than Batman. Physically Daredevil is superhuman except for strength and he has no natural body armor or imperviousness to harm.

I don't understand why some can't seem to get past the "how is that possible, he's blind" thing. Other heroes do more fantastical things and people don't seem to have issue.

I had some nitpicks...

Hell's Kitchen is the actual nickname for part of NYC. Doesn't seem odd to me. NYers talk about SoHo, Manhatten, Brooklyn, Queens, Bronx, Harlem, Greenwich Village, China Town etc. in the same ways. All part of the city, but each has their own distinct identity for those that live in the city.
Well, Hell's Kitchen is a part of Manhattan. You named a bunch of Burroughs, which are different from a nickname of a few blocks, no?

I had some nitpicks...

Yes I know that. I'm a New Yorker and every borough has neighborhoods. I get it. It just seemed a little strange.

His senses and radar sense are above and beyond human capabilities. And his agility/dexterity is enhanced nearly to the level of Spider-man, a notch above Captain America, and higher than Batman. Physically Daredevil is superhuman except for strength and he has no natural body armor or imperviousness to harm.

I don't understand why some can't seem to get past the "how is that possible, he's blind" thing. Other heroes do more fantastical things and people don't seem to have issue.
The "realism" in Daredevil is based on the idea that although he's got enhanced senses.....he's A) battling villains that are more in line with his abilities and B) he isn't being put into situations in which a hero with his abilities would be overwhelmed. Don't compare him to Thor/Captain America/Iron Man/Hulk........but compare his situation to that of what Black Widow and Hawkeye are getting themselves into. Both are normal humans who aren't taking a hit against alien invasions and killer robots. They're driving thru mad explosions, jumping onto alien vehicles at 50MPH and never missing with bow and arrows and guns. Meanwhile....DD is getting his ### kicked by Russian thugs and martial artists all the while, questioning whether or not if what he's doing is working. That's where the realism comments from in DD.

People say the are going to chinatown, little italy, park slope, harlem, the bowery (rip) riverdale and tribecca. All little areas relative to the big city. I have no issues with hells kitchen .

People say the are going to chinatown, little italy, park slope, harlem, the bowery (rip) riverdale and tribecca. All little areas relative to the big city. I have no issues with hells kitchen .
OK that's not my complaint thought. They made it sound like the Kingpin was some big shot because he controls all the cops, judges, press IN HELLS KITCHEN. Oooooh big ####### deal!

He's got super human dexterity? I mean, I know he can jump and flip around, but I just figured he was on par with any random Cirque du Soleil dude.

OK that's not my complaint thought. They made it sound like the Kingpin was some big shot because he controls all the cops, judges, press IN HELLS KITCHEN. Oooooh big ####### deal!
Yeah, I thought that was weird, too, and wondered what NYers would think of that.

"Oh, no, he controls all of Hell's Kitchen? I guess that means I'll have to walk a whole 5 blocks to escape the reach of his mighty arms! We'll be safe once we get to Chelsea."

Yeah, I thought that was weird, too, and wondered what NYers would think of that."Oh, no, he controls all of Hell's Kitchen? I guess that means I'll have to walk a whole 5 blocks to escape the reach of his mighty arms! We'll be safe once we get to Chelsea."
The way I saw it was that Kingpin controlled a majority of the police force, media etc in NY and beyond. Hells kitchen was just his current pet project. I doubt the other people he associates with really care about HK either. But its what he wants to work on and tear down. Then rebuild a resurgent neighborhood in a prime NYC locale which should generate mad cash.

Or he's just a rich white guy with a lot of time on his hands.

He's got super human dexterity? I mean, I know he can jump and flip around, but I just figured he was on par with any random Cirque du Soleil dude.
Yes he does based on the comic "Marvel Universe", which is basically Marvel's encylopedia. Also from the Marvel Superhero game. Basically D&D but with Marvel characters. In the comic, Daredevil is said to be able to dodge automatic weapon fire.

Yeah, I thought that was weird, too, and wondered what NYers would think of that.

"Oh, no, he controls all of Hell's Kitchen? I guess that means I'll have to walk a whole 5 blocks to escape the reach of his mighty arms! We'll be safe once we get to Chelsea."
It's like in mobster movies, where families control certain territories. I believe he eventually becomes one of if not the biggest crime bosses in NYC.

Along with the enhancement of Daredevil’s normal senses, he has gained another sense which he calls his Radar Sense. According to one theory, this sense reacts to an emission of electromagnetic energy a mutation in his brain has caused, reading the reverberations of this energy as a 360º, 3-D map of objects. This “sight” is not perfect, and can only give Daredevil an impression of the exact physical shape of objects, not a literal one. Closely overlapping objects can also confuse this sense.The mutations that have heightened Daredevil’s level of sensitivity have also increased his awareness of other forms of electromagnetic radiation. He is capable of detecting and identifying any electromagnetic radiation on the standard scale; from radio waves, (which he can only detect, not understand the message) all the way to gamma waves, and everything in between. He is also able to judge the strength of a given radiation and even differentiate between individual colors by the amount of radiation they give off. At very close range, Daredevil is able to detect the micro voltage of a human being’s brain.

http://marvel.com/characters/11/daredevil

Shane from Walking Dead cast as The Punisher for season 2 :excited:
Was just coming in to post that as well. Pretty good casting for this role. I also heard they will be bringing in Elektra in Season 2.
Good! They already referenced her in the show, no surprise there.

Now all we need is a Spidey cameo.
Bernthal kicks ###. Perfect casting. It sounds like Season 2 is well on it's way to being better than Season 1 and Season 1 was awesome. Can't wait!

I skipped to the end of the thread so I could skip any spoilers, and to say that I'm going to start season one tonight. My buddy's been ragging me forever to start watching it. I'll probably set aside time to watch 3 or 4 in a row tonight. I'm hoping for the best.

I skipped to the end of the thread so I could skip any spoilers, and to say that I'm going to start season one tonight. My buddy's been ragging me forever to start watching it. I'll probably set aside time to watch 3 or 4 in a row tonight. I'm hoping for the best.
Strap in. You'll be up till 2am at least.

Strap in. You'll be up till 2am at least.
You weren't lying.

1st episode: "This seems decent."

2nd: "Ok, better"

3rd: "This is getting pretty damn good"

4th: "I'm f*#%ing hooked."

5th: "My legs are going numb"

I had to make myself stop after 5 in a row.

The more I think about this show, the more I like it......to the point that I'd stack it up against any of the MARVEL movie releases. It might not have the flash or be as grandiose.....but it has much better characterization and atmosphere. And that's not even selling the characters in the movies short as many of them have been on screen (thru the different films) for about the same time as Daredevil (about 13 hours). It's just that good.....and will get better with the addition of The Punisher next season

The more I think about this show, the more I like it......to the point that I'd stack it up against any of the MARVEL movie releases. It might not have the flash or be as grandiose.....but it has much better characterization and atmosphere. And that's not even selling the characters in the movies short as many of them have been on screen (thru the different films) for about the same time as Daredevil (about 13 hours). It's just that good.....and will get better with the addition of The Punisher next season
To me the most amazing thing is that they took arguably their most toxic franchise thanks to the Affleck film and made it not just decent but a hit.

Insein said:
Thunderlips said:
To me the most amazing thing is that they took arguably their most toxic franchise thanks to the Affleck film and made it not just decent but a hit.
This is why I don't accept the '####ty movies are ok if you turn your brain off' argument from certain movie fans. Sure, it's not fair to compare a TV show to a movie, but the show demonstrates that it's possible to combine 'cool stuff' with great writing.

Insein said:
Thunderlips said:
This is why I don't accept the '####ty movies are ok if you turn your brain off' argument from certain movie fans. Sure, it's not fair to compare a TV show to a movie, but the show demonstrates that it's possible to combine 'cool stuff' with great writing.
Well turning your brain off is good if the movie is fun. Fast and the furious, bloodsport, roadhouse; those types of movies are cheesy good despite the lack of acting prowess.

Daredevil movie is just a bad movie.

Users who are viewing this thread