What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Baltimore: The Next Ferguson? (1 Viewer)

This idiot mayor, crying about how hard the city worked to get CVS into that neighborhood, then refusing to protect it because cops are cowards who value their own safety over that of the citizens and property they are sworn to protect.

I dont think it's as much the glorifying "usage" as glorifying selling. The game.
Smoke weed every day.
That's fine, but weed is not the problem from any angle.
Disagree, especially for kids:

Long-term cannabis use may blunt the brain's motivation system

by Sam Wong

01 July 2013

Long-term cannabis users tend to produce less dopamine, a chemical in the brain linked to motivation, a study has found.

Researchers found that dopamine levels in a part of the brain called the striatum were lower in people who smoke more cannabis and those who began taking the drug at a younger age.

They suggest this finding could explain why some cannabis users appear to lack motivation to work or pursue their normal interests.

The study, by scientists at Imperial College London, UCL and King’s College London, was funded by the Medical Research Council and published in the journal Biological Psychiatry.

The researchers used PET brain imaging to look at dopamine production in the striatum of 19 regular cannabis users and 19 non-users of matching age and sex.

The cannabis users in the study had all experienced psychotic-like symptoms while smoking the drug, such as experiencing strange sensations or having bizarre thoughts like feeling as though they are being threatened by an unknown force.

The researchers expected that dopamine production might be higher in this group, since increased dopamine production has been linked with psychosis. Instead, they found the opposite effect.

The cannabis users in the study had their first experience with the drug between the ages of 12 and 18. There was a trend for lower dopamine levels in those who started earlier, and also in those who smoke more cannabis. The researchers say these findings suggest that cannabis use may be the cause of the difference in dopamine levels.
Okay, but that is system wide. The narcotics trade is primarily concentrated in inner cities.

The war on drugs is no worse a failure than the war on poverty. Again, 50% unemployment among black males. Government assistance is propping up this cesspool of a city.
Are you blind or something? You even quoted my post where I told you many of them have jobs in the drug trade. And what is your level of familiarity with Baltimore? Do you live there? Have you spent much time there? Where do you live?
Sorry, I didn't take your post seriously.
They aren't looking for work because they have work. Making more money than they would working in legitimate business. But just disregard that fact because you can't seem to get your brain around it.

And you didn't respond to my inquiry about your level of familiarity with Baltimore? Or are you just talking out your ### as usual?

Last edited by a moderator:
The war on drugs is no worse a failure than the war on poverty. Again, 50% unemployment among black males. Government assistance is propping up this cesspool of a city.
Are you blind or something? You even quoted my post where I told you many of them have jobs in the drug trade. And what is your level of familiarity with Baltimore? Do you live there? Have you spent much time there? Where do you live?
They aren't looking for work because they have work. Making more money than they would working in legitimate business. But just disregard that fact because you can't seem to get your brain around it.
So half the black males in Baltimore are drug dealers? Is what you're saying?

This idiot mayor, crying about how hard the city worked to get CVS into that neighborhood, then refusing to protect it because cops are cowards who value their own safety over that of the citizens and property they are sworn to protect.
It's pretty clear she is used to soundbyte pandering. She needs to step down or get some more national PR people in to help her. As a representative of Baltimore she is doing a lot more harm than good.

A star I heard on the radio; only 27% of the Baltimore police live in Baltimore. So this is part of the problem, as they're perceived as an occupying force rather than part of the community.
Has there been any estimates on how many of the people rioting live in Baltimore?

Dude, he watched The Wire when it first aired. He knows the drug trade in Baltimore.

The 50% unemployed are selling to the 50% employed. It's a market strategy centered around getting to know your customer.

You are foolish
That's your opinion.

But facts are facts. And the fact is that the cops did nothing to protect that building from private criminals.

You are foolish
That's your opinion.

But facts are facts. And the fact is that the cops did nothing to protect that building from private criminals.
And you don't suppose they did what they were ordered to do by a superior?

Just heard a stat that 50% of black adult males are unemployed in Baltimore. :doh:
That may be a problem.
That number stands a good shot of rising as businesses choose to relocate post-riots.
Who is relocating?
That's what happens after riots. (See the after effects of nearly every major riot in America.)

Here...

"The aging mayor, Tom Bradley, widely seen as tired and burned out, nevertheless worked hard with top business leaders after the riots to create Rebuild Los Angeles, a group that hoped to lure billions of dollars of corporate investment to South L.A., the worst-hit area. Few of Rebuild L.A.'s plans came to be, but its most clear achievement was that it managed to clear away the vast, depressing rubble left by hundreds of destroyed buildings. The biggest private success story was thanks to Lakers basketball star Earvin "Magic" Johnson, who in 1995 built a movie theater complex in South L.A. It wasn't just businesses and investors who rejected South L.A. after the riots."

http://www.laweekly.com/microsites/la-riots

Obviously, the LA riots were way bigger, but businesses relocating after riots is common.

Just heard a stat that 50% of black adult males are unemployed in Baltimore. :doh:
I need a link for a stat like this... This is almost unbelievable.
In Baltimore, he found that 42.5 percent of working-age black males were not employed in 2010, which was 20 percentage points higher than the rate for whites. For black males between the ages of 25 and 54, the rate was 31.5 percent in 2010.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/local/wp/2014/05/14/fact-check-ganslers-dramatic-line-on-unemployment-in-baltimore/

You are foolish
That's your opinion.

True. And I think its pretty clear they were ordered to keep back.

Let me ask you this, Jack. To stop what was going on last night, the cops would have had to get physical with the rioters, no? Wouldn't you (and other folks) be here (and elsewhere) pointing at those images and screaming about it just being more heavy-handed policing? Honestly, what were the cops supposed to do? Saying "Please, good sirs, do not light that business on fire" was not going to stop anyone. It was going to take grabbing these people, putting them on the ground/cuffing them, and hauling them away. If they did that, how many people today would be screaming police brutality?

As was mentioned earlier in this thread, cops were going to be vilified no matter what they did.

If we follow this line of argument, if drugs are legalized, that will increase the supply, decrease the danger of providing that supply, and drive the price down. Suddenly, all those drug dealing "jobs" are gone. What happens to all those unemployed folks then? Do they just become upstanding citizens with everyday jobs?

You are foolish
That's your opinion.

I'm glad that you're here to defend the Baltimore PD from the terrible and irresponsible assertion of cowardly behavior. Brave public servants like these fine gentlemen deserve the benefit of the doubt.

Let's wait and see. Its hard to imagine anybody who lived through the last few decades in Baltimore leaving over this.
It's not like CVS stockholders live in Baltimore. If corporations and industry pull out the small businesses will inevitably have to follow suit.Self-made disaster areas don't recover like many natural disaster areas do. They simply don't get the investment money.

A star I heard on the radio; only 27% of the Baltimore police live in Baltimore. So this is part of the problem, as they're perceived as an occupying force rather than part of the

community.
My sense is that is probably in line with most cities
Wouldnt doubt it, at least for inner cities. But it creates s completely different vibe than in my community or, I would guess, many of the people here. When the police live among us, we see them as part of us, our protectors. We trust them.
It's a completely different "vibe" because we don't live in the same type of "community". It has a lot more to do with where we live and how we live our lives than where the police reside.

Why is it so unbelievable to you?The unemployment rate for all blacks in this country is around 17%, 10 points higher than for everyone else. The poverty rate in all of our inner cities approaches 40%.
Current unemployment is 5.5%... To say that black men in this city are 900% above the national average is something I would like proof on :shrug:

You are foolish
That's your opinion.

Who tells the cops what to do?

Other cops.

Who tells those other cops what to do?

City Hall.

I started my post by calling the mayor an idiot (and clearly I'm not the only one who holds her in that esteem).

Who runs City Hall?

The idiot mayor.

You are foolish
That's your opinion.

I'm glad that you're here to defend the Baltimore PD from the terrible and irresponsible assertion of cowardly behavior. Brave public servants like these fine gentlemen deserve the benefit of the doubt.
How about you link some of the videos from the hundreds if not thousands of thugs rummaging the city that they are there to protect. Their job is fairly difficult, especially in a situation yesterday when being constantly assaulted while ordered to not react.

I'm sure TFunke would've handled it better.

Why is it so unbelievable to you?The unemployment rate for all blacks in this country is around 17%, 10 points higher than for everyone else. The poverty rate in all of our inner cities approaches 40%.
Current unemployment is 5.5%... To say that black men in this city are 900% above the national average is something I would like proof on :shrug:
6.3% for African Americans. The stat was just a little bit off.

Gary Coal Man, what happened in South Central Los Angeles following the King riots wasn't so much businesses leaving as a reshuffling. If anything, property actually became more valuable after the riots because insurance money kicked in and a lot of old dilapidated buildings were torn down.

Your assumption is incorrect. Businesses do not leave because of riots. They leave when sales go down. I have no idea how much revenue that CVS earned, but if it did well, it will be back shortly. Same for the liquor store.

You are foolish
That's your opinion.

I can't wait for the cops to bust heads and boot stomp these criminals into submission tonight and have you ####### :cry:

You can love or hate Ray Lewis but he nails it here.

http://ftw.usatoday.com/2015/04/ray-lewis-baltimore

Video inside link

Cue the Lewis bashers...........................
Good for Ray. I was hoping he (or some of the current Ravens) or other athletes, celebs, etc would denounce what is going on. Its important the young people who were out there hear from people they look up to (as opposed to politicians, etc) that this #### is not the way to go. Not by a long shot.

What? I just googled that 17% number.

Quite a number of protesters on the street this morning. Impressive that they would take vacation days from work to fight for their cause.

But he heard it.

You are foolish
That's your opinion.

Who tells the cops what to do?

Other cops.

Who tells those other cops what to do?

City Hall.

I started my post by calling the mayor an idiot (and clearly I'm not the only one who holds her in that esteem).

Who runs City Hall?

The idiot mayor.
I tell you the same thing I told Tobias.. I can't wait for the cops to bust heads and boot stomp these criminals into submission tonight and have you ##### and moan about their heavy handed tactics.

Great. I see all the race-baiters are now showing up. So tell me guys, how is Baltimore racist again? The city has been led by blacks for the last 30 years.

- the current Mayor (in office since 2010) is black

- the Mayor before that was black.

- 4 of the last 5 Mayors have been black.

- the current Police Chief is black

- 7 of the past 10 Police Chiefs have been black.

- 54% of the police force is minority.

It's sad the lengths people will go to to find racism as the root cause for almost any problem. Last night on the news a black community leader in Baltimore, Adam Jackson, came right out and blamed all this on former mayor Martin O'Malley and his racist policies. The only white mayor in Baltimore for the last 30 years. A mayor who hasn't been in office for over 8 years.

Who's the real racist here Adam?

What? I just googled that 17% number.
6.3% for African Americans IN Baltimore (as of 2011)

ETA: Sorry 10.4% for Blacks in Baltimore.

I was wrong as well. Still nowhere close to 50%. That's crazy talk.

It's amazing the angles this can take...

Cops always beating on people...but then act like cops didn't want to crack heads at CVS. This was the Mayor's call...Unless you ask her about it...then you've twisted her words. But then some on this board act like the Mayor is powerless over the cops.

It's an insane circle jerk.

The 17% figure I quoted for black unemployment came from the Northstar News. The Bureau of Labor Statistics has it at 12.4% for 2014.

I haven't been to Baltimore but I always thought it would be great to go there, catch an O's game and check the place out. It sounds like it's getting unfairly slammed somewhat all over the place. I'm guessing there's a lot of good there and some things need fixing. I know it sounds horrible to some, but tearing down huge housing projects (and replacing with new, better, more spaced out housing), encouraging small business and gentrification in the city center, and cranking up a charter school system is a good start. Maybe reform can come out of all this. Every city is different, the problems in Ferguson are not the problems in Baltimore, two vastly different places.

Heard it on Morning Joe this morning. Here's link to the segment.

on.msnbc.com/1EMz2TB

Guy says it around the 5:50 mark. He actually says OVER half are unemployed.

Users who are viewing this thread