What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Baltimore: The Next Ferguson? (1 Viewer)

Geraldo Rivera just dropped the mic on Hannity, talking about the real civil rights issue of our time. Not cops killing black men, but black on black violence and the deplorable situation in inner cities.

"It is easy politically for someone to say, "Look at us, woe is us, we are being victimized," in this case by officers, usually white officers. That's easy, because it fits a historic narrative. What is much more difficult to deal with is the reality, and what is the reality? I think the last speaker hit on the social issues that are correct.
You have an annoying habit of not reading things posted.

Geraldo said nothing about this being a civil rights issue, because it isn't. What does black-on-black crime have to do with civil rights? What civil rights and for whom?

Geraldo characterized it as a "social issue" which is what it is. No wonder you are such a fan of Kirsten Powers.

Geraldo Rivera just dropped the mic on Hannity, talking about the real civil rights issue of our time. Not cops killing black men, but black on black violence and the deplorable situation in inner cities.

"It is easy politically for someone to say, "Look at us, woe is us, we are being victimized," in this case by officers, usually white officers. That's easy, because it fits a historic narrative. What is much more difficult to deal with is the reality, and what is the reality? I think the last speaker hit on the social issues that are correct.
You have an annoying habit of not reading things posted.Geraldo said nothing about this being a civil rights issue, because it isn't. What does black-on-black crime have to do with civil rights? What civil rights and for whom?Geraldo characterized it as a "social issue" which is what it is. No wonder you are such a fan of Kirsten Powers.
And you have an annoying habit of thinking my posts are directed at you. And I quoted verbatim what Gerlado said by the way.

You have an annoying habit of not reading things posted.Geraldo said nothing about this being a civil rights issue, because it isn't. What does black-on-black crime have to do with civil rights? What civil rights and for whom?Geraldo characterized it as a "social issue" which is what it is. No wonder you are such a fan of Kirsten Powers.
And you have an annoying habit of thinking my posts are directed at you. And I quoted verbatim what Gerlado said by the way.
And your verbatim quote had him saying that this was a social issue, not a civil rights issue as you mischaracterized it (by apparently not actually reading what he had to say)

So Gerlado said nothing about this being a civil rights issue? Here is what he said at the beginning of his appearance before the part I quoted above...

"I heard Elijah Cummings say to the crowd during the protests, as he was nobly trying to calm things down. He said the police violence against young black men is the civil rights issue of our day. It is not the civil rights issue of our day. The real civil rights issue of our day is black people killing black people."
You might want to spend less time in here pursuing your personal vendetta with me, because this is now the second night in a row you look really foolish.

So Gerlado said nothing about this being a civil rights issue? Here is what he said at the beginning of his appearance before the part I quoted above...

"I heard Elijah Cummings say to the crowd during the protests, as he was nobly trying to calm things down. He said the police violence against young black men is the civil rights issue of our day. It is not the civil rights issue of our day. The real civil rights issue of our day is black people killing black people."
You might want to spend less time in here pursuing your personal vendetta with me, because this is now the second night in a row you look really foolish.
Dude, I was going off of what you quoted and you did not provide the full text or a link to the quote in the OP. Don't say I look foolish when you based your argument on a quote that you omitted in the OP and also failed to provide a link to. I am not psychic and can't know what Geraldo said on O'Reilly tonight if you don't either quote it in the OP or provide a link to the entire text.

I was going off the "verbatim" text you provided, which I assumed was complete when you are saying he spoke directly of black-on-black violence being a civil rights issue. And since you couldn't even be bothered to provide a link, I had no way of knowing that you were basing your opinion on an omitted quote.

Last edited by a moderator:

Dude, I was going off of what you quoted and you did not provide the full text or a link to the quote in the OP. Don't say I look foolish when you based your argument on a quote that you omitted in the OP and also failed to provide a link to. I am not psychic and can't know what Geraldo said on O'Reilly tonight if you don't either quote it in the OP or provide a link to the entire text.I was going off the "verbatim" text you provided, which I assumed was complete when you are saying he spoke directly of black-on-black violence being a civil rights issue. And since you couldn't even be bothered to provide a link, I had no way of knowing that you were basing your opinion on an omitted quote.
Couldn't be bothered to provide a link? I was quoting an appearance on Hannity that just happened, as I stated in my post. You want a link to my DVR? I went way above and beyond by pausing my DVR after each sentence and typing it out. I'm not typing out the entire segment for you - not gonna happen. So quit being a tool and can the personal vendetta ####. I'm sure everyone else in here will agree that it's getting obnoxious hearing us argue every night about inane crap.

Last edited:

Dude, I was going off of what you quoted and you did not provide the full text or a link to the quote in the OP. Don't say I look foolish when you based your argument on a quote that you omitted in the OP and also failed to provide a link to. I am not psychic and can't know what Geraldo said on O'Reilly tonight if you don't either quote it in the OP or provide a link to the entire text.I was going off the "verbatim" text you provided, which I assumed was complete when you are saying he spoke directly of black-on-black violence being a civil rights issue. And since you couldn't even be bothered to provide a link, I had no way of knowing that you were basing your opinion on an omitted quote.
Couldn't be bothered to provide a link? I was quoting an appearance on Hannity that just happened, as I stated in my post. You want a link to my DVR? I went way above and beyond by pausing my DVR after each sentence and typing it out. I'm not typing out the entire segment for you - not gonna happen. So quit being a tool and can the personal vendetta ####. I'm sure everyone else in here will agree that it's getting obnoxious hearing us argue every night about inane crap.
You said that Geraldo called this a civil rights issue but nothing in the quote you provided said that. Then you reprimanded me for pointing out that your claim that he said that was not true. Realizing you screwed up and didn't provide the quote or a link to begin with, you then added the quote and once again reprimanded me for not knowing the quote you failed to provide.

I will agree that you should "quit being a tool" and posting incomplete information and then when it is misinterpreted, blaming the other party for not knowing the information you didn't provide to begin with. You are a piece of work.

"It is easy politically for someone to say, "Look at us, woe is us, we are being victimized," in this case by officers, usually white officers. That's easy, because it fits a historic narrative. What is much more difficult to deal with is the reality, and what is the reality? I think the last speaker hit on the social issues that are correct. But what he leaves out is, now these cities are run by a network, a hidden network of gangs - gangs that are doing the thriving business of drug deals. There murders are largely turf wars over drug deals.

Urban America is committing a kind of suicide. This should be the President's priority. I'm not talking rhetorically here. I am talking reality. In Chicago, in Trenton, in Newark, in New Orleans, in Detroit, in Baltimore. Come on! Stop now, with the talking around what the real issue is. There is a crisis in urban America, and the Presdent has to deal with it. I think it's more of a threat than ISIS."
Where is a President Obama on this issue? This is why I voted for the guy - because I thought he was ideally equipped to deal with these issues. Instead they have gotten worse, much worse, under his watch. What a profound disappointment he has been.
Why was Obama ideally equipped to deal with these issues when that does not fit the liberal agenda that he has always stood for?

You said that Geraldo called this a civil rights issue but nothing in the quote you provided said that. Then you reprimanded me for pointing out that your claim that he said that was not true. Realizing you screwed up and didn't provide the quote or a link to begin with, you then added the quote and once again reprimanded me for not knowing the quote you failed to provide.I will agree that you should "quit being a tool" and posting incomplete information and then when it is misinterpreted, blaming the other party for not knowing the information you didn't provide to begin with. You are a piece of work.
So you expect someone who is commenting on a tv show they are watching not to paraphrase what a person is saying? Did I in any way paraphrase what he said wrong? I'm not writing for the ####### Washington Post here. It would be like someone saying, "Hey, Tom Brady just said on tv that integrity is the biggest issue in the game", and then went on to quote the most important lines of what he said - that he didn't cheat - and then a guy like you comes in and writes a horse #### post about how Brady's quote had nothing to do with the integrity of the game.Tell you what squid - concentrate more on bringing positive content to this place and less on playing childish games of gotcha on items of minutia that nobody cares about. You do it all the time and it brings nothing of value to the place. Make your points, add content, or stay the #### out of the conversation. I'm done talking about this.

Geraldo is wrong anyhow. Black on black violence is a very serious issue, but it's not a civil rights issue.
Which was why I originally challenged the post which failed to include the quote about this being a civil rights issue, which also had no link to verify that Geraldo actually made this incorrect statement. That is the problem with the General, he runs with things that are misleading, like "81% of Al Jazeera readers support ISIS" :lol: so when he posts a supposed quote without any documentation, it naturally will be questioned by anyone who has followed his posting history (see Patriots thread in SP) as he has shown repeatedly that has no idea what he is talking about.

Geraldo is wrong anyhow. Black on black violence is a very serious issue, but it's not a civil rights issue.
Activists and pundits try to shoehorn everything into being "a civil rights issue" because they think that will make the public care more or, at the least, will scare away opponents from challenging their activism. People don't want to be viewed as not caring about or being against "a civil rights" issue.

For instance, my city had these billboards.

Ummh, no.

Activists and pundits try to shoehorn everything into being "a civil rights issue" because they think that will make the public care more or, at the least, will scare away opponents from challenging their activism. People don't want to be viewed as not caring about or being against "a civil rights" issue.

Ummh, no.
I thought you lived in Gary, Indiana. The poster you show is for Los Angeles, but I digress.

The position raised in the poster does have some merit (not saying I completely agree with it). People with AIDS qualify as being disabled under certain circumstances and can be afforded the protections of the Americans With Disabilities Act, so discrimination against them can be viewed as a violation of their civil rights.

Below is Julian Bond, former head of the NAACP talking specifically about that point:

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/pages/frontline/social-issues/endgame-aids-in-black-america/julian-bond-hivaids-is-a-civil-rights-issue/

Can you describe how HIV/AIDS is a civil rights issue?

"Its a civil rights issue because it afflicts anyone. Anyone can have AIDS. And its a civil rights issue because people who have AIDS, more so in the past than now, used to be stigmatized and pushed aside. This person is diseased. Ill catch the disease; Ill die from the disease; I dont want to have anything to do with this person. This person had the disease because he did something wrong; he engaged in risky behavior, risky sexual behavior or sexual behavior I dont approve of, and so therefore I should shun this person, put this person aside.

And thats a civil rights issue, the marginalization of somebody because of who they are or a condition they have that they didnt wish upon themselves. Thats wrong, and thats a civil rights issue."

Ummh, no.
I thought you lived in Gary, Indiana. The poster you show is for Los Angeles, but I digress.

The position raised in the poster does have some merit (not saying I completely agree with it). People with AIDS qualify as being disabled under certain circumstances and can be afforded the protections of the Americans With Disabilities Act, so discrimination against them can be viewed as a violation of their civil rights.

Below is Julian Bond, former head of the NAACP talking specifically about that point:

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/pages/frontline/social-issues/endgame-aids-in-black-america/julian-bond-hivaids-is-a-civil-rights-issue/

Can you describe how HIV/AIDS is a civil rights issue?

"Its a civil rights issue because it afflicts anyone. Anyone can have AIDS. And its a civil rights issue because people who have AIDS, more so in the past than now, used to be stigmatized and pushed aside. This person is diseased. Ill catch the disease; Ill die from the disease; I dont want to have anything to do with this person. This person had the disease because he did something wrong; he engaged in risky behavior, risky sexual behavior or sexual behavior I dont approve of, and so therefore I should shun this person, put this person aside.

And thats a civil rights issue, the marginalization of somebody because of who they are or a condition they have that they didnt wish upon themselves. Thats wrong, and thats a civil rights issue."
I moved from Gary to Los Angeles a long time ago. I'm one of the Jackson brothers.

"And thats a civil rights issue, the marginalization of somebody because of who they are or a condition they have that they didnt wish upon themselves. Thats wrong, and thats a civil rights issue."

They may have not wished it upon themselves, but their lifestyle choices led to that outcome in nearly all instances of AIDS today (now that blood screening is so much more thorough.) It's difficult for me to consider a condition a "civil rights issue" when that condition was almost entirely avoidable with better lifestyle choices. True civil rights issues get diluted when that phrase gets applied so loosely.

This crime spike is a disaster. Going to bring down the Commissioner in the short-term and the Mayor next year. From what I've been picking up, Mosby's decision to file false imprisonment charges - since dropped - was what has led to the Police Department's refusal to actually do police work. Many, many good cops are opposed to do what happened to Freddie Gray, but not a single cop wants to hear he might be charged with a crime if it turns out the next guy he arrests doesn't get indicted.

Meanwhile, knowing that enforcement is at a standstill, drug turf wars are raging and old scores are being settled on a daily basis.

Also, there is zero confidence that this crew of clowns will have any idea what to do if/when most or all of the Freddie Gray cops are acquitted.

Glad to see it. They are getting exactly what they wanted and deserve. Be proud Baltimore.
Yes, those hard-working people who live in impoverished areas and now can't count on police to respond to even blatant daylight shootings in their neighborhoods are really working the system.

not a single cop wants to hear he might be charged with a crime if it turns out the next guy he arrests doesn't get indicted.
That is a odd leap in logic from what happened in the Gray case. Even if the arrest of Gray flowed from a legal arrest, that doesn't excuse the officers behavior that allowed or caused him to be fatally injured in the transport to jail - criminal charges would still be warranted against some of the officers (particularly the driver).

not a single cop wants to hear he might be charged with a crime if it turns out the next guy he arrests doesn't get indicted.
That is a odd leap in logic from what happened in the Gray case. Even if the arrest of Gray flowed from a legal arrest, that doesn't excuse the officers behavior that allowed or caused him to be fatally injured in the transport to jail - criminal charges would still be warranted against some of the officers (particularly the driver).
An odd leap? that false imprisonment charge was complete horse####. If she is going to charge officers for crap like that they are right to back off on arrests. Nobody wants to get caught up with an overzealous prosecutor.

Glad to see it. They are getting exactly what they wanted and deserve. Be proud Baltimore.
Yes, those hard-working people who live in impoverished areas and now can't count on police to respond to even blatant daylight shootings in their neighborhoods are really working the system.
They shouldn't have thrown the whole police department under the bus if they weren't prepared to have them back off on arrests.

The "leap in logic" does not seem odd at all. It seems logical.

You're misconstructing "a crime" in The_Man's quote. The_Man is not saying that not a single cop wants to hear he might be charged with any crime if the arrestee is not indicted. The_Man is saying that not a single cop wants to hear he might be charged with false imprisonment if the arrestee is not indicted.

I specifically stated that the false imprisonment charges - which seemed strange at the time and have since been dropped - are the source of the Police's slowdown. That was a big mistake by Mosby, of whom I have generally been very supportive.

I also think it's despicable of so many on the right to take delight in the police department's dereliction of duty. Never before have they been so happy to see public servants collect a paycheck for not doing their job. My argument is either do your job, or - if your philosophical differences with the state's attorney prohibit you from doing so - turn in your resignation. But don't keep drawing your paycheck while refusing to do what the city is paying you for.

I specifically stated that the false imprisonment charges - which seemed strange at the time and have since been dropped - are the source of the Police's slowdown. That was a big mistake by Mosby, of whom I have generally been very supportive.

I also think it's despicable of so many on the right to take delight in the police department's dereliction of duty. Never before have they been so happy to see public servants collect a paycheck for not doing their job. My argument is either do your job, or - if your philosophical differences with the state's attorney prohibit you from doing so - turn in your resignation. But don't keep drawing your paycheck while refusing to do what the city is paying you for.
Why is it dereliction of duty to make fewer arrests? Isn't that what the protestors wanted? Gray should have never been hassled in the first place?

When the Mayor, Governor and Police Commissioner are so happy To throw a cop under the bus as easily as they did in Baltimore and when you try to investigate a crime and you get a crowd of 50 gang members aggressive towards you. Yeah I have no sympathy for the community.

Where are the community rallies for the police?

Why is the Justice Department involved?

As long as they arrest the "right" people. I am sure you would be right out there among the enemy, including your supervisors.

When the Mayor, Governor and Police Commissioner are so happy To throw a cop under the bus as easily as they did in Baltimore and when you try to investigate a crime and you get a crowd of 50 gang members aggressive towards you. Yeah I have no sympathy for the community.

When an 8-year-old kid gets gunned down execution-style in his home, like happened this morning, I feel sympathy for him. So we're different there.

Why would there be community rallies for the police? I literally don't understand. The Justice Department is involved because there is a high likelihood that the BPD has engaged in a pattern of excessive force over a long period of time.

Do you think the Baltimore Police are saying that it's simply impossible for them to do their job without the use of excessive force, and that if that use of force sometimes results in the death of an innocent person, that's the price citizens have to pay to get the cops to do their job?

As I said a few posts ago, I believe there are many police doing an outstanding job who were mortified by Freddie Gray's death. What's really messed things up is Mosby's decision to file the wrongful imprisonment charges. Because then good cops who weren't opposed to an investigation/prosecution of those who ended Gray's life were suddenly worried that they would be the next ones charged with a crime for making what they believed to be a valid arrest.

So someone - Mosby, or the Mayor, or the Commissioner - needs to make sure the good cops realize those charges were a mistake (as evidenced by their speedy withdraw) and won't happen again. At the same time, the cops need to do the job they're getting paid to do.

The_Man said:
When the Mayor, Governor and Police Commissioner are so happy To throw a cop under the bus as easily as they did in Baltimore and when you try to investigate a crime and you get a crowd of 50 gang members aggressive towards you. Yeah I have no sympathy for the community.Where are the community rallies for the police?

When an 8-year-old kid gets gunned down execution-style in his home, like happened this morning, I feel sympathy for him. So we're different there.

Why would there be community rallies for the police? I literally don't understand. The Justice Department is involved because there is a high likelihood that the BPD has engaged in a pattern of excessive force over a long period of time.

Do you think the Baltimore Police are saying that it's simply impossible for them to do their job without the use of excessive force, and that if that use of force sometimes results in the death of an innocent person, that's the price citizens have to pay to get the cops to do their job?

As I said a few posts ago, I believe there are many police doing an outstanding job who were mortified by Freddie Gray's death. What's really messed things up is Mosby's decision to file the wrongful imprisonment charges. Because then good cops who weren't opposed to an investigation/prosecution of those who ended Gray's life were suddenly worried that they would be the next ones charged with a crime for making what they believed to be a valid arrest.

So someone - Mosby, or the Mayor, or the Commissioner - needs to make sure the good cops realize those charges were a mistake (as evidenced by their speedy withdraw) and won't happen again. At the same time, the cops need to do the job they're getting paid to do.
Cops investigate and make arrests. They can't stop a murder before it occurs. Are the communities in the neighborhoods where the killings are taking place cooperating with police? My understanding is the tension is so bad that they aren't. Coupled with a higher bar for actually making arrests and you have your problem right there.

Now that the summer humidity has set in and the Orioles are struggling, Damascus looks enticing. More Old Bay and beer here, though

This classic. Marilyn Moseby claims that her personal Twitter account was hacked and that she did not favorite a racially-charged tweet and another one calling the six Baltimore cops charged in the Freddie Gray case thugs. The 21st century version of "the dog ate my homework". This is right up there with the Mayor insisting she didn't say they were giving the protesters the space to destroy.

http://dailycaller.com/2015/05/28/marilyn-mosby-says-her-twitter-account-was-hacked-and-that-she-did-not-endorse-anti-cop-tweet-video/

This classic. Marilyn Moseby claims that her personal Twitter account was hacked and that she did not favorite a racially-charged tweet and another one calling the six Baltimore cops charged in the Freddie Gray case thugs. The 21st century version of "the dog ate my homework". This is right up there with the Mayor insisting she didn't say they were giving the protesters the space to destroy.

http://dailycaller.com/2015/05/28/marilyn-mosby-says-her-twitter-account-was-hacked-and-that-she-did-not-endorse-anti-cop-tweet-video/
In way over her head.

How's that? You guys argued in here recently that a black citizen facing disparate violence from black cops equated to an act of racism. Yet a black citizen facing disparate violence from black criminals isn't a civil rights issue? Would it be a civil rights issue if the perpetrators of the violence were white? You can bet that if blacks were being killed in disproportionate levels by whites it would most certainly be framed by the Left as a violation of civil rights, whether or not the violence came from a governmental entity like the police or from private citizens. Seems like another intellectual double-standard.

The_Man said:

I am to drunk to address all the stupidity of this post.

I also think it's despicable of so many on the right to take delight in the police department's dereliction of duty.
I mentioned this earlier, but this exact same thing happened in NO (though the increase in crime wasn't a bad as what you're seeing), and it will continue to happen. A lot of cops will likely quit too. I agree, it's not ok (either people high fiving or what the cops are doing).

With the feds coming in more changes will be underway, it will reach to city hall, and more cops will be disgruntled, there will be financial and other costs for Baltimore. It happened here, it's sad. (It's good, because if reform is needed it's needed, but it's bad because people are getting hurt out there, and Baltimore will have more burden heaped on it). Good luck.

How exactly do cops prevent people from murdering each other? Has anyone figured out that one yet?

How Marilyn Mosby is spending today

Mixed reactions:

Some people are saying that Mosby is just honoring a prior commitment and needs to live her life.

Other people are arguing that even if Mosby had this prior commitment she should step away given the current circumstances; and Mosby's appearance as the circus ringmaster is further proof that she's more interested in celebrity than fulfilling her position in a professional manner.

Mixed reactions:

Some people are saying that Mosby is just honoring a prior commitment and needs to live her life.

Other people are arguing that even if Mosby had this prior commitment she should step away given the current circumstances; and Mosby's appearance as the circus ringmaster is further proof that she's more interested in celebrity than fulfilling her position in a professional manner.
That has to be photoshopped.

Mixed reactions:

Nope.

Mixed reactions:

Nope.The linked article above confirms the legitimacy of the picture and guest ringmaster appearance. The below linked Baltimore Sun article does as well.

http://www.baltimoresun.com/features/baltimore-insider-blog/bal-marilyn-mosby-nick-mosby-to-serve-as-guest-ringmasters-at-universoul-circus-20150528-story.html

I kind of want to see what goes on at a UniverSoul Circus. I hope none of the black clowns are wearing white face. I hope using the C-word isn't consider racist. If so, my bad.

Mixed reactions:

That discussion about this being the literal and perfect metaphor for a three ring circus comes from The Root by the way.

Users who are viewing this thread