What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

QB Tyrod Taylor, NYJ (1 Viewer)

Tyrod won a road game against the team that was (a) worst in the NFL last season, (b) was starting a rookie QB in his first game with no preseason, and (c) was without one of its best defensive players (Atkins). And that win required the opposing PK to miss an easy FG that would have put the game into OT.

Herbert lost a home game in OT against the defending champs, after learning he was going to start 10 minutes before kickoff.

If you truly cannot see which outing was more impressive, I can't help you. :shrug:  

Let me also point out that home vs. road doesn't mean nearly as much through these 2 games as it would in a normal season.

As for which QB gives Lynn what he wants, my reaction is that what Lynn wants isn't necessarily what is best for the team. We've seen that repeatedly during his tenure. So it doesn't carry much weight with me. YMMV

And that is referring to the short term, i.e., 2020. If "what Lynn wants" = Tyrod, then it is not only hurting the team in 2020, it is also hurting the team beyond 2020 IMO. Herbert just showed he can play at this level. Given that, the best thing for the team's future is to give him reps so they can see if he is their legit QBOTF. They know Tyrod isn't.
How do you feel now that Herbert lost a home game to one of the three worst teams in the league?

Chargers coach Anthony Lynn said he's "not in a position" to rule out Tyrod Taylor (ribs) for Week 4 against the Buccaneers.

He also said his "number one concern" is getting Taylor healthy before figuring out who the starter will be moving forward. Justin Herbert made a few errant throws in Week 3 against the Panthers but continues to provide a spark for an offense that struggled mightily against the Bengals with Taylor engineering the gameplan. If/When Taylor is healthy, it would not be shocking to see Lynn weigh his past relationships over the rookie's presence under center.

SOURCE: Gilbert Manzano on Twitter

Sep 28, 2020, 4:45 PM ET

How do you feel now that Herbert lost a home game to one of the three worst teams in the league?
I feel that Herbert is very clearly a much better fit for the Chargers offense than Tyrod. I would be extremely surprised if anyone disagrees, and I would expect that anyone who disagrees hasn't watched the games closely.

Over to you.

I think the FBG podcast guys said it perfectly last night. 
Anthony Lynn thinks they would be 3-0 with Tyrod right now, and his opinion is the only one that really matters 

I think the FBG podcast guys said it perfectly last night. 
Anthony Lynn thinks they would be 3-0 with Tyrod right now, and his opinion is the only one that really matters 
And Anthony Lynn might believe that, but IMO he is wrong. The Charger barely won with Tyrod, then lost to KC and CAR with a much more dynamic offense than they would have had with Tyrod.

Bottom line, the proof will be in what the Chargers do... if Tyrod is healthy, will he be starting? I can't imagine that, but it's the Chargers after all....

Tyrod Taylor (ribs) remained sidelined on Thursday. 

For whatever reason, coach Anthony Lynn has refused to rule Taylor out for Sunday's game against the Bucs, but it will again be Justin Herbert under center. Lynn needs to get used to the idea that it will be his rookie going forward. Turning back now would make zero sense. 

Oct 1, 2020, 4:47 PM ET

Tyrod Taylor (ribs) has resumed practicing. 

That is the good news for Taylor. The bad news is, coach Anthony Lynn announced Thursday that Justin Herbert will remain the starter going forward. It's more brutal injury luck for a quarterback who lost a job earlier in his career following a concussion. Life isn't fair, but it is absolutely the right call for the Bolts. Quarterback of the future Herbert has flashed promise, while Taylor is well established as a No. 2/"bridge" talent. 

Oct 8, 2020, 4:53 PM ET

While happy for Taylor to get the start after what happened in LA, I'm not thrilled about the return of the nickname.

I loathe football player nicknames.  The only player who had a cool nickname was Najeh Davenport.

Tyrod Taylor was forced from Houston’s Week 2 game against the Browns with a hamstring injury and will not return.

Taylor apparently picked up the hamstring injury on his rushing touchdown, then aggravated it again on his last throw of the half, an incompletion wiped out by penalty. Taylor had gone 10-of-11 with 125 yards and a touchdown, adding 15 yards on his rushing touchdown, in what was up to that point a solid performance. The Texans are now rolling with Davis Mills. 

Sep 19, 2021, 2:42 PM ET

Sports Talk 790's Aaron Wilson reports Tyrod Taylor (hamstring) could be sidelined for the next four games.

Wilson added that Taylor suffered a Grade 2 hamstring strain in Week 2 and the plan is for Davis Mills to start until he returns. The Texans will call up Jeff Driskel from the practice squad to serve as Mills' backup. Mills is entering a short week as Houston faces the Panthers Thursday. Billed as a project coming out of Stanford, Mills is likely to struggle out of the gate. He threw a touchdown and an interception while relieving Taylor versus the Browns. He is worth stashing in 2QB and Superflex leagues but can't be trusted as a starter even in those formats. 

RELATED: 

Davis Mills

SOURCE: John McClain on Twitter

Sep 20, 2021, 5:15 PM ET

Texans placed QB Tyrod Taylor (hamstring) on injured reserve.

It's a tough blow for the Texans as Taylor had played above expectations to this point of the year. The team will instead call up Jeff Driskel from the practice squad and opt to start third-round rookie Davis Mills on Thursday night against Carolina. With a touchdown and interception in relief for Taylor in Week 2, managers should run to their waiver wires for Carolina's D/ST as a top option opposite Mills this week. The team simultaneously moved WR Nico Collins (shoulder) to injured reserve.

SOURCE: Adam Schefter on Twitter

Sep 21, 2021, 4:05 PM ET

Texans coach David Culley said Tyrod Taylor (hamstring) is day-to-day and did not know if he would be activated from injured reserve this week.

Taylor exited Houston's Week 2 game with the Browns after suffering a Grade 2 hamstring strain and has been out ever since. He was put on IR shortly after suffering the injury. Taylor may still be a week out from returning and Culley noted that his activity would be ramped up instead of throwing him back into the action immediately. For now, Davis Mills remains the team's starter. Mills has six interceptions and 12 sacks in four starts. It's difficult to consider starting him even in Superflex and 2QB leagues. 

SOURCE: James Palmer on Twitter

Oct 18, 2021, 1:43 PM ET

Tyrod Taylor (hamstring) will return to practice this week. 

Taylor has been sidelined with a serious hamstring injury since Week 2. Houston head coach David Culley said Taylor is "our starting quarterback, and when he’s healthy, he’ll be our starting quarterback." Davis Mills, who has thrown five touchdowns and seven interceptions with a miserable 4.9 adjusted yards per attempt in five starts, will head back to the bench if Taylor is able to suit up in Week 8 against the Rams. Taylor was a solid fantasy option in Week 1 against the Jaguars, logging 23.4 fantasy points on the strength of 291 passing yards and two touchdowns to go along with 40 rushing yards. His return would be an excellent development for Brandin Cooks. Taylor should be considered a QB2 in Week 8 despite the rough matchup. 

RELATED: 

Davis Mills

Oct 25, 2021, 12:34 PM ET

Brooks Kubena

⁦‪@BKubena⁩

The #Texans have lost seven straight games. Tyrod Taylor will split first-team reps again this week to see if he’s going to come back against the Dolphins.
houstonchronicle.com/texas-sports-n…

11/1/21, 10:50 AM

I have Taylor rostered in one spot.  Actually think there is some upside if he can get back on the field.  He looked good before getting hurt.  Negative game scripts.  Rushing floor.  Good schedule.

Any updates ? Had Jameis all lined up as my QB for this week (with Brady on bye) but that plan went to #####. Got skunked on Taysom Hill on waivers so I grabbed Tyrod. I am prepared to start him, but by no means am I willing to start Davis Mills. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Tyrod Taylor completed 24-of-43 passes for 240 yards and three interceptions in Houston's 17-9 Week 9 loss against the Dolphins, adding 23 yards on three carries.

Brian Flores asked Taylor to hit some downfield plays against the blitz and Taylor simply couldn't oblige, even missing a wide-open Danny Amendola in a coverage bust downfield in the third quarter. The Texans made four red zone trips and got three points out of it, and head coach David Culley did not offer a firm endorsement of Taylor continuing as starter in his post-game presser. Taylor's second pick was an attempted throwaway on the sideline that Jerome Baker caught and tiptoed on the sideline. The Texans are on bye for Week 10, which is a respite for any who would be tempted to stream them against a bad defense in fantasy football.

- NBC SportsEDGE

I'm a Tyrod fan, but at this point they have to go with Mills becasue Tyrod isn't producing.   Team is 1-8.  Mills has a chance to start for them next year.  Tyrod likely not even on roster next year.

Plugged him in last minute when I heard Tua was out. Good Lord. I sure hope Russell Wilson is back next week, because I definitely can't go back to him again.

There were lots of weird results today, but Tyrod crapping the bed wasn't one of them. He's not terrible, but a game like today's is always in the cards.

Texans head coach Dave Culley said Tyrod Taylor would remain the team's starter as long as he's healthy. 

Culley doesn't seem interested in getting rookie QB Davis Mills some late-season in-game experience. In seven starts for the Texans this season, Mills threw seven touchdowns and eight interceptions while completing 67 percent of his throws at 6.5 yards per attempt. Taylor has (mostly) been useable as a streaming quarterback option since returning from his hamstring injury. He underwhelmed in Week 12 against the hapless Jets, completing 17-of-26 passes for 158 yards, two touchdowns, and an interception. Taylor will only be viable in superflex formats next week against the Colts. 

RELATED: 

Davis Mills

SOURCE: Aaron Reiss on Twitter 

Nov 29, 2021, 11:42 AM ET

Tyrod Taylor (wrist) practiced in full on Thursday.

He also got in a full session on Wednesday. There were reports early in the week that Davis Mills would start against the Seahawks, but coach David Culley left open the possibility Taylor could still play. Two full practices in a row suggests that possibility is a good one. Unfortunately, neither quarterback has played well enough this year to move the fantasy needle. This remains an offense to avoid. 

RELATED: 

Davis Mills

Dec 10, 2021, 10:25 AM ET

Giants signed Tyrod Taylor, formerly of the Texans, to a two-year, $17 million contract.

Taylor has become the epitome of a journeyman quarterback, finding a new home in four of the past five seasons. He began the 2020 season as the Texans' starter but injuries and middling play ultimately led to the team keeping rookie Davis Mills under center to close out the year. Though Taylor will open the year behind Daniel Jones, two years and $17 million points to the Giants having little faith in Jones sticking around for long. New York was also embarrassed by bad quarterback play after Jones went down last year, so the Taylor deal ensures that another Mike Glennon and Jake Fromm situation doesn't happen. Taylor's mobility, though far from what it used to be, makes him a good stylist fit to be Jones's backup. 

RELATED: 

Houston Texans

Mar 15, 2022, 6:22 PM ET

That contract seems like a message to Daniel Jones that his time in NY is short. I wouldn't be at all surprised to see Taylor starting for the Giants in 2022.  While it's not exactly starting QB money, it's 2 years and a substantial enough investment that if I'm a DJ owner, I'm concerned. 

Since I dealt DJ recently, I no longer consider myself among the concerned. 

Yeah it's obvious they aren't enamored with Jones, but this signing doesn't make any sense to me. The team is bad and clearly rebuilding, I don't think Tyrod is a fit at all. Should have taken a swing with someone that actually has a slight chance to be a franchise guy.

I think Daniel Jones owners have been concerned for quite a while already.  But this move does nothing to ease their anxiety.
I would have been more anxious if Trubisky signed with the Giants.  Taylor is a backup so that is where he should stay............however, Jones might just be a back up too so who knows what happens.  

I would have been more anxious if Trubisky signed with the Giants.  Taylor is a backup so that is where he should stay............however, Jones might just be a back up too so who knows what happens.  
The last three places that Taylor has gone, he's been an important mentor to the newly-drafted rookie. 

Cleveland - Baker

Chargers - Herbert

Houston - Mills

I believe this is the first step to Daniel Jones being shipped out of town, whether that happens before or after the NFL draft remains to be seen.

As a Daniel Jones owner I'm good with this signing. I think Taylor is a career backup, and Jones is still the starter and has the chance to earn his next contact or be shown the door after this year. That's a good spot for his owners to be in. Put up or shut up.  

The big thing about it is that the Giants have lacked a functioning backup since Colt McCoy left. If Jones is hurt this move gives you someone who can run an offense and maybe get a win or two... the fact that it's two years means in 2023 he's backing up SOMEONE.

Tyrod Taylor contract details (thanks to kodycutter from the NYF Giants thread)

Oh yeah, TIME TO RENAME THE THREAD @Fireinside.

Last edited by a moderator:
This signing could also mean the Giants aren’t confident Jones’ neck injury will be 100%.

I haven’t seen any updates on that, but he did end his season in a kind of scary fashion. 

The big thing about it is that the Giants have lacked a functioning backup since Colt McCoy left. If Jones is hurt this move gives you someone who can run an offense and maybe get a win or two... the fact that it's two years means in 2023 he's backing up SOMEONE.

Except the Giants are terrible, so really the only thing that "win or two" will do is get them a worse draft pick, further hurting their chances at landing a franchise QB.

I don't get the upside at all.

I think Daniel Jones owners have been concerned for quite a while already.  But this move does nothing to ease their anxiety.
Is there anyone in fantasy actually counting on Daniel Jones - I'd imagine they were already in trouble even before the Giants signed a bum journeyman QB.

An expensive backup veteran is a luxury for a good team. The Giants are in cap hell and won't many win games with Jones or Taylor. This was an idiotic waste of resources. New GM, same story.

Users who are viewing this thread