What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

QB Tyrod Taylor, NYJ (1 Viewer)

Sebowski said:
MattFancy said:
Sebowski said:
It's not Thursday that has me benching T-Mobile, it's the Jets.
The Jets that have allowed Carr and Bortles, to have 2 straight big days against them?
The only Jets game I saw they completely shut down Kirk Cousins. KIRK COUSINS! I didn't like that.
Of course you didn't like it....you're a Skins fan.
http://www.totalprosports.com/2015/10/25/kirk-cousins-goes-ballistic-screams-you-like-that-after-comeback-win-video/
How's my team doing in The League?
You left same time as someone else so we threw both teams into a pool and let the new owners do a 2-man draft. Both of the teams suck. Only 4 players from your last roster are still in The League. Your dream of building a championship around Johnny Knox and Beanie Wells did not come to pass.

FTR, I'm rolling with Bortles. I'm a total pimp for Tyrod but it's not a green light matchup. Wouldn't surprise me if he did well but I'm going with what I think is a better option.
Hey I've got Bortles and Tyrod too. I'm rolling with Tyrod just because he's fun to watch.
Imma gonna stop starting my studs, playing matchups & just manage by primetime. If I can watch 'em on network tv without having to feed the box with my device, then Imma gonna start 'em. TNF, London, SNF, MNF. After I git them guys in ma lineup I'll look & see if I have room for Antonio & Gurley.

FTR, I'm rolling with Bortles. I'm a total pimp for Tyrod but it's not a green light matchup. Wouldn't surprise me if he did well but I'm going with what I think is a better option.
I dropped Eli for Bortles... Got tired of Eli's Jeckle/Hyde and Bortles is averaging more per game than him, almost two points!

Considering playing Bortles,,, you're right he has a great matchup. Going to contradict everything I've written in here this week but Bortles is ranked just behind Taylor in my league in fppg.

BobbyLayne said:
JuniorNB said:
BobbyLayne said:
Chaka said:
I am always hesitant to start players on Thursday nights. It's a roadie against a division rival still in contention for a wild card spot. I would lower my expectations.

Despite all that I still might be starting T-Mobile, Chris Ivory and Karlos this week.
There was a discussion in another thread, and while it doesn't jive with our perception, offensive production on TNF is only minimally less than Sundays or Mondays.

I'm with you - not thrilled with guys playing Thursdays or in London, but the data doesn't support the theory. Personally I love starting guys on Sunday Night or Monday Night. Not for any rational reason, but only because I like watching them real time with no other games on to distract me. I should feel the same way about Thursday or Sunday a.m. from Wembley games, but I don't.
I'm with you. The thought of a starter on Thursday having a crappy game and getting behind the eight ball for the week totally sucks. I realize that there's also a chance of him having a great game, but I don't like that gamble.
I've been on the receiving end a few times this year. Freeman put up a 37 pointer, I got whupped like 177-141 that week.

Two weeks later I faced Brady, Landry & NE DST - down 72. I joked in the game thread my Sunday morning counter-punch was Alex Smith (bye week filler) and Kelce. That #### actually worked. Diggs, Green, Gurley, et al - won by 37. Sweet.
Does it really matter if the points are scored on Thursday or Sunday?That's like saying all my guys go Sunday at noon so my opponent is "behind the eight ball" and needs to make a comeback to win... Not really. His players don't know they're losing. There's no momentum or psychological factor for fantasy football... Just points. If I'm down by 3 and my kicker scores me 4 on Monday night it's no different than if my kicker played Thursday and scored 4 points

I'll take Taylor this week.
Everyone realizes the points are the same. You missed the point
Not really... You said having a crappy game and getting behind the eight all sucks. I don't look at it that way at all. If a guy has a crappy game Thursday or Monday you're no worse behind the eight ball
ok

Sebowski said:
MattFancy said:
Sebowski said:
It's not Thursday that has me benching T-Mobile, it's the Jets.
The Jets that have allowed Carr and Bortles, to have 2 straight big days against them?
The only Jets game I saw they completely shut down Kirk Cousins. KIRK COUSINS! I didn't like that.
Of course you didn't like it....you're a Skins fan.
http://www.totalprosports.com/2015/10/25/kirk-cousins-goes-ballistic-screams-you-like-that-after-comeback-win-video/
How's my team doing in The League?
You left same time as someone else so we threw both teams into a pool and let the new owners do a 2-man draft. Both of the teams suck. Only 4 players from your last roster are still in The League. Your dream of building a championship around Johnny Knox and Beanie Wells did not come to pass.
Johnny Knox was gonna be a stud if he didn't almost die on the field. Dude had 960 yards in his second season and 727 before his third season was cut short and then he retired. I think for awhile at the end there, I was starting him and Devin Hester in some games. I won the inaugural title though.... #neverforget.

Anyone else debating Taylor vs. Cousins this week? Jets matchup doesn't scare me -- Taylor seems to have a pretty decent floor -- but as an underdog, I'm leaning toward the upside of Cousins' matchup with NO's horrible pass D.

Last edited by a moderator:
Johnny Knox was gonna be a stud if he didn't almost die on the field. Dude had 960 yards in his second season and 727 before his third season was cut short and then he retired. I think for awhile at the end there, I was starting him and Devin Hester in some games. I won the inaugural title though.... #neverforget.
Oh, I will never forget. You only won because I choked in the semis. I traded for Brunell specially for that week to start over Vick since Vick had the Bears that week the year the Bears D was just crushing souls. Then at the last second I went all "never bench your studs" and Vick aye an egg while Brunell would have won my the game. Then I smoked the whole league in points in what would have been the Super Bowl. Yeah, I'll never forget.

Anyone else debating Taylor vs. Cousins this week? Jets matchup doesn't scare me -- Taylor seems to have a pretty decent floor -- but as an underdog, I'm leaning toward the upside of Cousins' matchup with NO's horrible pass D.
That's the first time those words were put in the same sentence in the history of sentences.

That's the first time those words were put in the same sentence in the history of sentences.
The apostrophe is key. It's the matchup that has the upside, not Cousins himself. :)

If a tree falls in the forest ... but somebody intercepts the tree before it hits the ground ... does it still make a sound?

I really like Tyrod's matchup here. The Jets have given up over 330+ passing yards three weeks in a row. If they are missing half their secondary, Tyrod might go nuts. With McCoy hurting and the Jets having a much better run defense, Tyrod and the receivers will have to carry the load this week. BUF didn't need to pass last week because the Phins let gave them 266 rushing yards. Different story this week.

I'm debating it. Cousin's at home. NO getting gashed by the pass. I'm thinking three TD's from Cousins. Short week for Tyrod. Watkins maybe still banged up a little with Revis taking him out of the game some. I like Garcon, DJax, Reed, Crowder and maybe Thompson better than Woods, Hogan, Watkins and Clay.

Oh, I will never forget. You only won because I choked in the semis. I traded for Brunell specially for that week to start over Vick since Vick had the Bears that week the year the Bears D was just crushing souls. Then at the last second I went all "never bench your studs" and Vick aye an egg while Brunell would have won my the game. Then I smoked the whole league in points in what would have been the Super Bowl. Yeah, I'll never forget.
That Bears D was one of my best players that season :bowtie:

I like Tyrod's matchup. But who's he going to throw to? Watkins was banged up last game and really there were no other WR's to speak of. I'm rolling with Tyrod too, but not trusting his weapons. Jets secondary is Revis and a bunch of below avg guys.

Raiderfan32904 said:
I like Tyrod's matchup. But who's he going to throw to? Watkins was banged up last game and really there were no other WR's to speak of. I'm rolling with Tyrod too, but not trusting his weapons. Jets secondary is Revis and a bunch of below avg guys.
Woods, Clay, McCoy.

Still think Watkins gets his share.

I'm personally not considering Watkins "banged up." He blew up last week on a "pitch count" and is now listed as probable.

Was thinking about something: We tend to talk about stuff like "Revis Island" divorced from the concept of team's actual game strategy. In other words, either teams use shadow corners as part of their defensive scheme or they don't.

But if you're the Jets, and you're facing a team that has one really great weapon and a bunch of middling ones, why wouldn't you just stick Revis on Watkins and ask him to take it away? Yes, I know there are other factors that DCs have to take into account, but when faced with a similar situation a couple years ago, Seattle did just that to SF and Boldin.

Was thinking about something: We tend to talk about stuff like "Revis Island" divorced from the concept of team's actual game strategy. In other words, either teams use shadow corners as part of their defensive scheme or they don't.

But if you're the Jets, and you're facing a team that has one really great weapon and a bunch of middling ones, why wouldn't you just stick Revis on Watkins and ask him to take it away? Yes, I know there are other factors that DCs have to take into account, but when faced with a similar situation a couple years ago, Seattle did just that to SF and Boldin.
I'm not sure Revis is that good anymore.

FWIW Evan Silva's weekly matchups piece pointed out how Todd Bowles' Arizona D gave up big rushing games last year vs Kap and Russell Wilson due to the aggressive man to man style defense. I'm starting him pretty reluctantly but that made me feel a little better.

Revis isn't exactly an island lately. The Jets secondary is really, really banged up. FBG news blogger said yesterday:

New York Jets SS Calvin Pryor (ankle) and S Dion Bailey (ankle) didn't practice all week and are out for Week 10 Thursday, Nov. 12. CB Antonio Cromartie (quadriceps) didn't practice all week and is doubtful. CB Buster Skrine (shoulder, hand) was limited all week and is questionable.
If Watkins plays I'd be very tempted to start Tyrod, moreso if Watkins plays AND one/both of those CBs is out.

So what can we expect from Clay tonight.....sounds like the Jets may have alot of starters in the secondary out. With Revis possibly following Sammy and the run D being stout does he have a bounce back game with Tyrod back? expectations?

The NE match-up isn't perfect but you figure BUF will be playing from behind giving Tyrod opportunity, at least.

I hadn't seen much of Buffalo this year. One thing I learned last night is Tyrod is a sight thrower, meaning he has to see a guy open or he won't throw it.

Might be part of the reason his completion percentage is so high.

Unfortunately for the Bills and Tyrod owners (and Watkins owners), that's also true of Kraepernick.

I hadn't seen much of Buffalo this year. One thing I learned last night is Tyrod is a sight thrower, meaning he has to see a guy open or he won't throw it.

Unfortunately for the Bills and Tyrod owners (and Watkins owners), that's also true of Kraepernick.
That worked well on the Karlos TD reception, of course Taylor had time to wait on him.

That worked well on the Karlos TD reception, of course Taylor had time to wait on him.
I've seen all their games this year, and thought this was his worst game. He's usually pretty steady on the pocket, might step up or slide the pocket, but keep going through his progressions. The pocket was collapsing a lot quicker last night, and when he bailed usually Richardson or a LB had containment.The announcer made the point he waited for Karlos to break, we all watched/heard the same broadcast. I've seen him throw plenty of timing patterns so I wouldn't conclude it's indicative of his capacity/limitations.

He has a high completion percentage due to being very accurate, especially on deep balls. If Sammy runs under it the first play their first possession instead of mistiming his leap the Bills have an 82 yard TD.

I've seen all their games this year, and thought this was his worst game. He's usually pretty steady on the pocket, might step up or slide the pocket, but keep going through his progressions. The pocket was collapsing a lot quicker last night, and when he bailed usually Richardson or a LB had containment.The announcer made the point he waited for Karlos to break, we all watched/heard the same broadcast. I've seen him throw plenty of timing patterns so I wouldn't conclude it's indicative of his capacity/limitations.

He has a high completion percentage due to being very accurate, especially on deep balls. If Sammy runs under it the first play their first possession instead of mistiming his leap the Bills have an 82 yard TD.
Or, if he throws it to the wide open part of the field where Sammy was running....

He's going to be on my bench for a while. Cam is too good to have this guy start over him considering the upcoming matchups and his two stinkers of games the last two weeks...

Or, if he throws it to the wide open part of the field where Sammy was running....
:goodposting:

Yeah, Tyrod isn't a sight thrower. He's been pretty good at throwing guys open.

And I'm not even sure how you can say that about that game. He threw that ball to Watkins for the first down before Watkins made his break.

Are you laughing at criticism of the throw to Watkins? Did you notice as Watkins got up he was motioning back to Taylor to throw it toward the middle of the field?

Watkins was inside Revis and had maybe a step on him. If Taylor throws the ball toward the middle of the field, it would have allowed Watkins to run under it while running away from Revis instead of having to make a contested catch. As it was, if Watkins made the catch it would not have been a TD unless Revis blew the tackle. Leading Watkins toward the middle of the field would have much more likely resulted in a TD.

It wasn't a bad throw, but it could have been better.

Are you laughing at criticism of the throw to Watkins? Did you notice as Watkins got up he was motioning back to Taylor to throw it toward the middle of the field?

Watkins was inside Revis and had maybe a step on him. If Taylor throws the ball toward the middle of the field, it would have allowed Watkins to run under it while running away from Revis instead of having to make a contested catch. As it was, if Watkins made the catch it would not have been a TD unless Revis blew the tackle. Leading Watkins toward the middle of the field would have much more likely resulted in a TD.

Sammy looked like he was drunk. He never picked up the track of the ball, jumped so early he was back on the ground & falling down. So let's just we both think it was a good but not perfect throw, and 51-99% Sammy's fault.

We all saw him pointing inside. We all heard the announcer say "Two things on that play. Watkins jumped too early, and Tyrod has to throw it upfield." Since it was Simms we could presume he meant "more inside" since it wasn't under thrown.

Sammy is a gifted athlete. Have to wonder if it's just lack of reps or game experience. Good WR but he was supposed the head of a phenomenal class. Bot of a disappointment so far but he's young & right now plays in a low volume passing attack.

Sammy looked like he was drunk. He never picked up the track of the ball, jumped so early he was back on the ground & falling down. So let's just we both think it was a good but not perfect throw, and 51-99% Sammy's fault.

We all saw him pointing inside. We all heard the announcer say "Two things on that play. Watkins jumped too early, and Tyrod has to throw it upfield." Since it was Simms we could presume he meant "more inside" since it wasn't under thrown.

Sammy is a gifted athlete. Have to wonder if it's just lack of reps or game experience. Good WR but he was supposed the head of a phenomenal class. Bot of a disappointment so far but he's young & right now plays in a low volume passing attack.
So why is it funny to point out that a better throw would have also led to a TD?

Sammy looked like he was drunk. He never picked up the track of the ball, jumped so early he was back on the ground & falling down. So let's just we both think it was a good but not perfect throw, and 51-99% Sammy's fault.We all saw him pointing inside. We all heard the announcer say "Two things on that play. Watkins jumped too early, and Tyrod has to throw it upfield." Since it was Simms we could presume he meant "more inside" since it wasn't under thrown.

So why is it funny to point out that a better throw would have also led to a TD?
Because most people in the game thread, the Watkins thread, my house & my office thought that was on Watkins. The throw was good enough but it had no chance once Samny botched it. Struck me as absurd anyone (let alone multiple posters) would argue otherwise.

Sammy looked like he was drunk. He never picked up the track of the ball, jumped so early he was back on the ground & falling down. So let's just we both think it was a good but not perfect throw, and 51-99% Sammy's fault.We all saw him pointing inside. We all heard the announcer say "Two things on that play. Watkins jumped too early, and Tyrod has to throw it upfield." Since it was Simms we could presume he meant "more inside" since it wasn't under thrown.

Because most people in the game thread, the Watkins thread, my house & my office thought that was on Watkins. The throw was good enough but it had no chance once Samny botched it. Struck me as absurd anyone (let alone multiple posters) would argue otherwise.
By "on", do you mean deserves more than 1/2 the blame? If so, I don't disagree- Watkins miss-timed his jump and should have caught that ball. That doesn't change the fact that what I said is true- if the throw was more to the wide open inside of the field (where Sammy was running), it would have given him an even better chance at a TD. It was far from a "perfect pass" like some were saying.

Users who are viewing this thread