What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

DoD Paid NFL for Troop Tributes? (1 Viewer)

Jayrok

Footballguy
Paid Advertisements

Businesses pay professional sports leagues advertisement dollars every day. Is this any different?

Does it make a difference since the Department of Defense uses tax dollars? It helps armed services with their recruiting campaigns but should they use their budgeted funding to pay the NFL?

Is this a big deal to you or no?

I agree with this quote from the article:

"Those of us go to sporting events and see them honoring the heroes," Flake told NJ.com. "You get a good feeling in your heart. Then to find out they're doing it because they're compensated for it, it leaves you underwhelmed. It seems a little unseemly."

Read that yesterday. I mean, nothing really surprises me anymore when it comes to the NFL and money. This is the same NFL that promotes Breast Cancer Awareness like crazy and keeps a good portion of the proceeds for themselves.

People honestly thought this was anything but advertising? For both the military and the NFL?
I did not chalk it up to paid advertising. That sort of cynicism is boundless. I'm no NFL apologist, but the utter disregard for basic principles of patriotic decency surprises me a bit.

I agree with Jack White. It's not unseemly, it's disgusting.

Paid Advertisements

Businesses pay professional sports leagues advertisement dollars every day. Is this any different?

Does it make a difference since the Department of Defense uses tax dollars? It helps armed services with their recruiting campaigns but should they use their budgeted funding to pay the NFL?

Bothers me in the sense that the NFL is taking payment. This should be something they are doing because it's the right thing to do and not because they are being paid.

Paid Advertisements

Bothers me in the sense that the NFL is taking payment. This should be something they are doing because it's the right thing to do and not because they are being paid.
Especially since that is how they are portraying it.

Does the Susan Komen foundation pay them too?
Wouldn't surprise me. Like I said, there was the article a couple years ago that talked about how the NFL only gives a couple percent of all the pink stuff they sell to the foundation.
That is disgusting if true.
A Shockingly Small Amount Of Money From Pink NFL Merchandise Sales Goes To Breast Cancer Research
It is the NFL...so this story is not shocking at all.

It's a good idea to assume that We are puppets of corporations, military and politicians, and enjoy the surprise in a rare event if ever it turns out to be otherwise.

Wouldn't surprise me. Like I said, there was the article a couple years ago that talked about how the NFL only gives a couple percent of all the pink stuff they sell to the foundation.
A Shockingly Small Amount Of Money From Pink NFL Merchandise Sales Goes To Breast Cancer Research
We truly live in a capitalistic society.

It's a good idea to assume that We are puppets of corporations, military and politicians, and enjoy the surprise in a rare event if ever it turns out to be otherwise.
This is a very hard point to argue with if you're searching for the truth on many issues.

We truly live in a capitalistic society.
This is more optimistic than what deadspin had. They said less than a nickel out of every dollar spent on the pink crap ended up going to research causes. There was also some note about how mlb basically in one day gave more money than NFL has ever given for boob cancer. MLB basically gives 100% of the proceeds away when they do that stuff all the profit and then some. Can't find it now.

Ayn Rand wasn't right about everything (yes, I know some people would say next to nothing) but she was right about one thing - there's no such thing as altruism.

Last edited by a moderator:
I know a guy that is in charge of flyovers for the Air Force, and he said NFL owners almost expect flyovers when they ask for them. I guess the Giants got bent out of shape last year when the Air Force said no to a preseason game. Stupid.

National Guard spent almost all this money because they are "local." But the NFL accepting this money is as bad as the Guard paying it. Everyone is wrong here.

I wonder if the surprise homecoming reunions at big league games are also bought and paid for.

Those always jerk a tear from me, and yet I kind of hate them. For starters, if my loved one were coming home from combat but put off being reunited with our family for a few extra hours so they could do it publicly, that would annoy me. And I think it's kind of exploitative of the kids - being in front of a huge crowd during such an emotionally charged moment seems extremely stressful to me.

This is one of my favorite pictures ever - they didn't need to be surprised to be joyful.

But then again, I don't like surprise parties either, so what do I know?

I agree.I actually believe that it's a bad enough position on such a big national topic that if it got out into the media more it could create some PR problems.

Ray Rice or Adrian Peterson can be swept off as individuals events. When you are skimming off of breast cancer awareness that's on the NFL as an organization.

Is the source of the problem that people are having with the Troop Tributes the fact that it wasn't portrayed as a 'commercial', but rather a 'cool thing that the NFL is doing for our troops' that was paid for by the DoD as commercials? Because I never read them as a commercial, rather I took them as the 'cool thing NFL is doing for our troops,' which makes this annoying.

Is the source of the problem that people are having with the Troop Tributes the fact that it wasn't portrayed as a 'commercial', but rather a 'cool thing that the NFL is doing for our troops' that was paid for by the DoD as commercials? Because I never read them as a commercial, rather I took them as the 'cool thing NFL is doing for our troops,' which makes this annoying.
I'm with you on the latter.

Just the opposite for me.

It's military aggrandizement and war propaganda, pure and simple.

I didn't know the NFL was charging for it, but it's not a big deal for the DoD to spend other people's money.

I usually get a bit teary-eyed when they stage one of those scenes where daddy is greeting his family via live video feed on the big screen, seemingly from Afghanistan or somewhere similar, then THERE HE IS, running on to the field into the arms of his wife and kids. Everyone sees it coming from the start, but it gets me every time. I don't care and am not surprised a bit that these are paid promotional events.

People honestly thought this was anything but advertising? For both the military and the NFL?
I did not chalk it up to paid advertising. That sort of cynicism is boundless. I'm no NFL apologist, but the utter disregard for basic principles of patriotic decency surprises me a bit.

I agree with Jack White. It's not unseemly, it's disgusting.
Id agree...if NFL teams only did that and took the check.

Though...Id guess every one of them do other things on their own and pay for it.

How is it an utter disregard for basic principles of patriotic decency.

I have more of a problem with our money going towards advertising like this rather than towards actually helping our military and veterans.

I thought it was the NFL wrapping itself in the flag for marketing purposes. I never imagined they'd charge the military to do it.
Sure...though, I doubt it was the NFL saying...hey...we are going to do this stuff. Here is your bill.

More like the DOD saying...hey, we would like it if you would do this, here is a grant or some funds for it.

It's a recruitment tool. Not all that different from having Ira Hayes sell war bonds.

And I hate to break it to you all, but the Blue Angels and Thunderbirds don't fly combat missions.

I know a guy that is in charge of flyovers for the Air Force, and he said NFL owners almost expect flyovers when they ask for them. I guess the Giants got bent out of shape last year when the Air Force said no to a preseason game. Stupid.

National Guard spent almost all this money because they are "local." But the NFL accepting this money is as bad as the Guard paying it. Everyone is wrong here.
True...this I would agree with.

Decline the offer for the money and say "we would like to do this anyway and have the funds for it ourselves".

The fact that the NFL is a money-grubbing whore should be a surprise to no one. It's one of the reason I quit watching the NFL; I don't have enough hot water and soap to wash the stench of it off me.

The fact that the NFL is a money-grubbing whore should be a surprise to no one. It's one of the reason I quit watching the NFL; I don't have enough hot water and soap to wash the stench of it off me.
How dare you post the right thing.

It's almost criminal that the NFL gets paid for these shenanigans; it benefits from the affiliation with the military just as much as the reverse. It's a way of positioning itself as an integral part of the American character and you're not a real American unless you're supporting the troops and watching football.

True...this I would agree with.

Decline the offer for the money and say "we would like to do this anyway and have the funds for it ourselves".
Would the DOD have to respond, "Thanks, that's very generous. However, we aren't a charitable organization. We are the federal government and can't take gifts."

I usually get a bit teary-eyed when they stage one of those scenes where daddy is greeting his family via live video feed on the big screen, seemingly from Afghanistan or somewhere similar, then THERE HE IS, running on to the field into the arms of his wife and kids. Everyone sees it coming from the start, but it gets me every time..
softie

pretty much

ETA: To a lesser extent I'm a little irked generally at our huge amount of defense spending, so this story just adds to that annoyance.

Users who are viewing this thread