What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***Official Rap/Hip Hop Discussion Thread*** (1 Viewer)

His music is beyond awful but he and some other similar guys are very popular with the HS kids. He seems like a real ####ty guy. 
He is. His music is ####. But I try to stay young as best I can and understand it as best I can.  It's rage rap.  It's not good, but there's something about it that makes me listen to it.  Again - it's terrible, it's angry, but there is something there...I think.  just curious cuz I know we're all old men here and likely never going to "get" it.  But I try to appreciate the new stuff as best I can

To that point. I still think Lil Skies is slept on.  Everyone mumbles when they rap, he doesn't.  It's real chill stuff: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WlosjSe5B8c

It's a new era.  DOn't need a label or a record co. Guy just put his stuff on soundcloud for years.  Still has everything produced independently.  One of my favorite current artists.

Last edited by a moderator:
He is. His music is ####. But I try to stay young as best I can and understand it as best I can.  It's rage rap.  It's not good, but there's something about it that makes me listen to it.  Again - it's terrible, it's angry, but there is something there...I think.  just curious cuz I know we're all old men here and likely never going to "get" it.  But I try to appreciate the new stuff as best I can
I watched the interview. What on earth is he doing to his face? 

I get face tattoos. Really, I kind of do. I don't get that. That's like self-loathing.  

I'm trying to stay young, but it gets harder.  

I get it because when I was a teenager, I had a lot of rage and angst. There was some punk,metal and rap that I would never listen to now that I loved then. 

I get face tattoos. Really, I kind of do. I don't get that. That's like self-loathing.  

he has 69 tattooed on his body 69 times.  Also face tattooes are the new fad, actually true.

I really like Post Malone - I think his music is really good in this current environment, then he started tattooing his face too.  Shake my head

It's just the natural progression- he is trying to shock and push the limit. If he lives longer, he might regret it. He is living like he won't make it much longer though. It's just the kind of music young males with a lot of built up aggression listen to. 

Should I just accept being old?  There's a lot of Drake I like, a lot of the popular stuff I like...ASAP Rocky, Kendrick, Logic, Post are all very solid right now.  Felt like we had a dark period for about 10 years but rap is really good right now.

he has 69 tattooed on his body 69 times.  Also face tattooes are the new fad, actually true.

I really like Post Malone - I think his music is really good in this current environment, then he started tattooing his face too.  Shake my head
Yeah, he is like the pop version of this music and he clearly has more all around musical talent but he is a nasty guy. Post looks like he smells awful. 

Yeah, he is like the pop version of this music and he clearly has more all around musical talent but he is a nasty guy. Post looks like he smells awful. 
Pretty sure post malone smells like durian but he makes some damn good songs

Yeah, I knew I was gonna sound old when I posted about his face. I do know face tattoos are the new "thing." I just smh.  

Post Malone...hoo boy. Ilov80s knows I took him for blue-eyed soul in Genrepalooza I and Ilov was surprised. White Iverson. Jammed on that all day once. Saucing...saucing...saucing...on you. 

So much to listen to, though, that I can't really have too much new hip hop on my radar. There's legends to find, and legends to mind. I'll bow out. 

Peace.  

By the way, away from the new, Aesop Rock has a new single called "Klutz." It's not fire, but it's not bad. I love me some Aesop Rock. Listening to Skelethon on red vinyl right now.  

Think I mentioned this in another thread, but how well this younger generation of rappers can rap rap now is almost immaterial. Being a compelling personality, your social media presence, etc. etc. is more important. 

Most of it's not for me, but it is what it is. Also that Tekashi guy is probably going to get shot. But again, I suppose that's part of the allure.

Think I mentioned this in another thread, but how well this younger generation of rappers can rap rap now is almost immaterial. Being a compelling personality, your social media presence, etc. etc. is more important. 

Most of it's not for me, but it is what it is. Also that Tekashi guy is probably going to get shot. But again, I suppose that's part of the allure.
I don't disagree at all. I think right now, the blueprint is:

1. buy a hot beat from a 3rd party

2. rap over it

3. put it on soundcloud or youtube and hope for a pop.

That's really what rapping is these days, you don't need a label or a producer.

(ETA maybe thats not a bad thing either) - good rappers who'd never get discovered get out.  Bad rappers who'd never get discovered also get out.

Hes most definitely ending up shot or in jail.  dude gives zero ####s.  He sprayed shots at chief keef last week.  smdh.  hes a wild dude.  heard 50 cent is bank rolling him too.

My whole problem with the current beef/battle thing is it seems less about the music or who had the hottest track and more about the gossip or who gets the illest TMZ soundbite.  I guess that's just the current state of hip hop tho.  

It's true. I'm listening to DAYTONA right now because I tired of the new Nas really quickly. He needs to get up in the beat but can't at times. I'm going with just a bad match instead of assigning blame.  
Pusha T did better IM- does Nas still got it?

Still do the Fred Astaire on a brick
Tap tap, throw the phone if you hear it click
Art Baselin' the bezel
Your bustdown is bust down and don't match the metal
Lower level's where you settle at

It's true. I'm listening to DAYTONA right now because I tired of the new Nas really quickly. He needs to get up in the beat but can't at times. I'm going with just a bad match instead of assigning blame.  
I like the new Nas just fine but it’s not a classic. 4/5 stars imo and that’s a touch generous. 

Still for his age, I feel like there are 2-3 great songs on there so I’ll settle for that. 

Hmm, my daughter was just asking me today if I knew 6ix9ine.  She wouldn’t play me any because she said it was really bad (wasn’t sure if that meant quality wise or lyrical content)

I like the new Nas just fine but it’s not a classic. 4/5 stars imo and that’s a touch generous. 

Still for his age, I feel like there are 2-3 great songs on there so I’ll settle for that. 
I think it is more like 2-3 good songs, not great. 2-3 good songs does not make a 4 star album. Still, considering it is really part of a larger work with Kanye, Pusha and Cudi, it is very interesting. 

I think it is more like 2-3 good songs, not great. 2-3 good songs does not make a 4 star album. Still, considering it is really part of a larger work with Kanye, Pusha and Cudi, it is very interesting. 
Adam and Eve and everything are great to me. Cops shot the kid is very good. 

It's cool that Nas is still putting out records like this two decades later so he gets graded on the lifetime achievement curve.  It's got a couple of solid tracks that are driven as much by the production as Nas' work.  But there are definitely some songs that I'll never listen to again.

Users who are viewing this thread