What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***Official Rap/Hip Hop Discussion Thread*** (1 Viewer)

Long Ball Larry said:
We got one here in Denver, recently. It's decent, but mixes in too much "classic" stuff that is only 5 years old or so.

Btw, someone mentioned Nappy Roots' new album earlier. I just got around to listening to it. I haven't caught their stuff in years, and it's definitely different. I'll have to give it a few more spins, but here's a few songs that stand out to me so far:

. Nappy roots are criminally underrated. They have made some great music over the years.

Any of you guys listen to Rittz? He is one of my favorite rappers in the game today. He is a white rapper that grew up outside of Atlanta during the same time that I did with a lot of the same Southern rap influences as me (i.e., Outkast, Goodie Mob, Kilo Ali), so I kind of have a natural affinity for him. He made his big debut on Yelawolf's Trunk Muzik on "Box Chevy" and later signed with Strange Records. I think Rittz's double-time flow is ridiculous, he has great Southern beats, and he raps about real life things with a knack for story-telling even with his fast flow. Here are some of my favorite Rittz tracks:

Rittz - Like I Am

Rittz - F*** Swag

Rittz - Amen

Rittz ft. B.o.B & Mike Posner - In My Zone

Last edited by a moderator:
Just got through the new Tyga album on the treadmill. It's meh but man he has really mastered the terribly ####ty art of rhyming words with the exact same word.

Muh F*cka might set rap back 50 years

Listened to the new Slum Village album today on Spotify

It was decent there was a nice surprise (to me anyway) appearance by Phife Dawg on one of the tracks

One of my friends growing up, Reuben Houston, recently released a rap single under his rap moniker Rico Richie called "Poppin" that has been getting some serious buzz on rap radio. Chris Brown and Meek Mill have already made an unauthorized remix of his song. Reuben was the best athlete that I've ever played with. We ran on the same 4x400 relay team in high school and used to play backyard tackle football together growing up. He played cornerback at Georgia Tech and was projected to be drafted in the second round of the NFL draft going into his senior season. Then, the summer before his senior year at Georgia Tech,

he was arrested for transporting nearly 100 pounds of marijuana and was suspended for his senior season. He ended up going undrafted in the NFL draft and, although he was invited to Tampa Bay Buccaneers' camp, he never caught on after suffering a knee injury during training camp. I'm glad to see that my boy Reub is still doing big things in the ATL.

Alright guys: Just listened to the new Meek. My opinions...and again they are just mine.

Bad, bad album. I've never been big on Meek as it is, biggest reason being he always sounds like he's just yelling on his tracks. No different here. Also, dude has no clue what he's trying to do with this album. The first third of it is that god-awful new rap sound blowing up right now led by guys like Young Thug and Fetty Wap. Then he tries a pop song with Breezy and Nicki before going trap the rest of the album. I also despise trap FYI. Maybe you like trap, if that's the case maybe you'll like this album.

Alright guys: Just listened to the new Meek. My opinions...and again they are just mine.

Bad, bad album. I've never been big on Meek as it is, biggest reason being he always sounds like he's just yelling on his tracks. No different here. Also, dude has no clue what he's trying to do with this album. The first third of it is that god-awful new rap sound blowing up right now led by guys like Young Thug and Fetty Wap. Then he tries a pop song with Breezy and Nicki before going trap the rest of the album. I also despise trap FYI. Maybe you like trap, if that's the case maybe you'll like this album.
And it is crap versions of all 3 styles.

Good Posting Judge said:
PinkydaPimp said:
Good Posting Judge said:
Apathy has a new smallish album out, "Weekend at the Cape." Nice-sounding production, lots of punchlines, etc. etc.
nice. i didnt realize he had a new one out. Ill definitely check this out.
He also has a monster odds-and-sods mixtape out called "Black Lodge" that's like 3 hours long. Haven't dipped into that.
nice heads-up. Didn't like Connecticut Casual all that much, but will work through all of these.

"Good said:
Apathy has a new smallish album out, "Weekend at the Cape." Nice-sounding production, lots of punchlines, etc. etc.
One of my favorite MCs out of the newer crop

One of my friends growing up, Reuben Houston, recently released a rap single under his rap moniker Rico Richie called "Poppin" that has been getting some serious buzz on rap radio. Chris Brown and Meek Mill have already made an unauthorized remix of his song. Reuben was the best athlete that I've ever played with. We ran on the same 4x400 relay team in high school and used to play backyard tackle football together growing up. He played cornerback at Georgia Tech and was projected to be drafted in the second round of the NFL draft going into his senior season. Then, the summer before his senior year at Georgia Tech,

he was arrested for transporting nearly 100 pounds of marijuana and was suspended for his senior season. He ended up going undrafted in the NFL draft and, although he was invited to Tampa Bay Buccaneers' camp, he never caught on after suffering a knee injury during training camp. I'm glad to see that my boy Reub is still doing big things in the ATL.
Just as my buddy Rico Richie was blowing up, he caught another fed case this past week for felon in possession of a firearm and possession of marijuana with intent to distribute. The feds were executing a search warrant at a recording studio in relation to an alleged conspiracy between Young Thug, Birdman, and another shooter to kill Lil Wayne when his tour bus was shot up in Atlanta in April. When the feds came in to execute the search warrant, there was marijuana and guns around the studio -- which Rico apparently took responsibility for despite claming that they were not actually his. It's sad to see my friend be on the verge of bursting onto the national scene twice, only to be derailed by serious federal criminal charges yet again. Despite being in jail without bail on these charges, Rico Richie still released his new mixtape "Realist Story Ever Told" yesterday.

I just got tickets to see Rakim this Saturday in Denver.

Also, I recently bought tickets to see Atmosphere, Dilated Peoples, and Brother Ali at Red Rocks at the end of August.

I don't know what trap is. Maybe I should keep it that way?

A long time ago, Drake's career would be done because of this. Now it's probably not even going to matter. Grumpy old hip-hop fans in their 30's still won't like Drake, his younger fans won't care. I mean he was on a kids' soap opera, it's not like he's made his career based on some sort of unimpeachable credibility.

I personally feel that a rapper not writing his won #### is artistically dishonest. Pop songs, written by a group committee of producers, sure. Or having someone else write your hook, or maybe "edit" your ####, great. But to me (and I have never liked Drake to begin with) this is fundamentally dishonest.

A long time ago, Drake's career would be done because of this. Now it's probably not even going to matter. Grumpy old hip-hop fans in their 30's still won't like Drake, his younger fans won't care. I mean he was on a kids' soap opera, it's not like he's made his career based on some sort of unimpeachable credibility.

I personally feel that a rapper not writing his won #### is artistically dishonest. Pop songs, written by a group committee of producers, sure. Or having someone else write your hook, or maybe "edit" your ####, great. But to me (and I have never liked Drake to begin with) this is fundamentally dishonest.
Whoa. Disagree on the italicized. I've always been amazed by his lyrics. That's a big thing.

Loved the Ghostface takedown of Action Bronson, by the way, even if it seemed like a bit of a manufactured beef. Can't help but think that there wasn't some coordination behind it.

That's all I've got today. Keep smiling. Disappointed to hear about Meek, because he was my dude in 2012, like Future was at the time. Dang.

eta* regarding the bolded, I'm in total agreement. It's not just intellectually dishonest, it opens up a whole lot of questions about whether you're simply a brand or an artist at all.

rockaction said:
Good Posting Judge said:

Whoa. Disagree on the italicized. I've always been amazed by his lyrics. That's a big thing.

Loved the Ghostface takedown of Action Bronson, by the way, even if it seemed like a bit of a manufactured beef. Can't help but think that there wasn't some coordination behind it.

That's all I've got today. Keep smiling. Disappointed to hear about Meek, because he was my dude in 2012, like Future was at the time. Dang.

eta* regarding the bolded, I'm in total agreement. It's not just intellectually dishonest, it opens up a whole lot of questions about whether you're simply a brand or an artist at all.
If it were Jay, I could see it being a bigger deal. He has a lot of older fans, and he's more of a rapper's rapper. That Drake sings, and does songs like "Hold On We're Going Home" or whatever (which is ####### garbage, btw), maybe he's considered closer to a pop star. I don't know.

Maybe I'm underestimating the hit he'll take on this.

rockaction said:
Good Posting Judge said:

If it were Jay, I could see it being a bigger deal. He has a lot of older fans, and he's more of a rapper's rapper. That Drake sings, and does songs like "Hold On We're Going Home" or whatever (which is ####### garbage, btw), maybe he's considered closer to a pop star. I don't know.

I don't really disagree that much with your point (it's a minor disagreement) but I think Drake is bigger in more serious circles and rougher areas than one might think. I could be totally wrong, admittedly. I just remember people really related to "Started From The Bottom" and were going nuts to its sentiment. Even Mill's Amen had a Drake verse on it that, to my ears, killed.

rockaction said:
Good Posting Judge said:

I don't really disagree that much with your point (it's a minor disagreement) but I think Drake is bigger in more serious circles and rougher areas than one might think. I could be totally wrong, admittedly. I just remember people really related to "Started From The Bottom" and were going nuts to its sentiment. Even Mill's Amen had a Drake verse on it that, to my ears, killed.
Mill just had a Drake verse on his record, Drake used to wear a "Free Meek Mill" shirt, Drake and Nicki have been all over each other's #### (e.g. "Only"). It is interesting that in terms of the mainstream rap ecosystem, this could knock a lot of things out of balance. It seems like he really just blind-sided him with this.

At the same time, nobody likes the guy who pines after his new girlfriend. I mean you just inevitably want to see that guy dead.

I don't know what trap is. Maybe I should keep it that way?
I mean if I could unhear it I would. The beats are just basic and sounds too dark for me. However...it is still Beethoven compared to this new crap by Young Thug/Future/Fetty. Be a million percent sure to stay away from that.If you wanna see what trap is all about, the prime album would be Flockaveli by Waka Flaka Flame. The producer who really brought it to the mainstream who produced pretty much the entire album is Lex Luger. Hard in the Paint is the go-to track on there.

The problem with all those late 90s/early 2000s mix tapes from Jada and DBlock etc: I never knew the names of the songs. They were always in a friends car or on Hot 97 before everyone had the internet on their phones

Someone post some stuff from that era please.

Dip-SET

Dip-SET

Dip-SET

Dip-SET

Santana on the dip dip

Juelz on the set set

Dip-SET

Dip-SET

Dip-SET

Dip-SET

Love the old Dipomats and Dipset, Dblock mix tape stuff

This is pretty much right up my alley: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uh9N9oYnrsY
Loved Santana and Lil Wayne way back when that got you made fun of by white rock critics.

LOX is crazy. Love it. I can hear Styles P in the background reiterating the rhymes. He was one of my favorites back in the aughts. Great stuff.

Related to rhyme scheme, my English major friend and music critic friend gets pissed when Jay hyphenates a rhyme and uses the non-rhyming hyphenated part to start the next line. I laugh at how mad he gets, but I get it. It's all good and funny.

It's all in the delivery sometimes.

Users who are viewing this thread