What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***Official Rap/Hip Hop Discussion Thread*** (1 Viewer)

Don't forget Compton's Most Wanted and Above The Law…but yeah, definitely an East Coast bias.  I just randomly put a list together as I was pillaging through Spotify…wasn't going for any balance just a mix of classics and underrated tracks/groups that many have overlooked.  
Absolutely loving this playlist man.  Good work!

Watching Straight Outta Compton and just saw Jerry Heller died today.  Heart attack while driving where I live in Thousand Oaks.  

Something that is long forgotten about but contributed to his early hype is that he essentially came in as the protégé of Biggie. 
I disagree here.  He didn't come in as anyone's protege in '95/'96.  In fact, he was barely even allowed to keep his feature with Biggie on his LP due to record industry politics.  He was in the game for a looong time trying to get signed.  I don't ever remember him being touted as a Biggie protege.  It certainly helped a lot that he had big name features with Mary J and Foxy though.

The new DJ Shadow and Run the Jewels video for "Nobody Speak" is pretty amazing.  Killer Mike and El-P both keep hinting on social media that RTJ3 is coming soon.   I can't ####### wait.   
Nice video.  El-P's beats and rhymes are always right on the border of wack/unlistenable to me.  I have to give him credit for having one of the top 5 greatest diss tracks of all time though.

SacramentoBob said:
Nice video.  El-P's beats and rhymes are always right on the border of wack/unlistenable to me.  I have to give him credit for having one of the top 5 greatest diss tracks of all time though.
Blasphemy!  I think El-P is one of the great producers of our time.  The beats on Killer Mike's R.A.P. Music album, RTJ, and RTJ2 are insane.  

I assume that you are referencing El-P's diss of Sole on "Linda Tripp."  His use of the audio of Sole saying "I wanna be down" and "No, I don't think you sound very scared" after Sole released his El-P diss is pretty hilarious.  

Blasphemy!  I think El-P is one of the great producers of our time.  The beats on Killer Mike's R.A.P. Music album, RTJ, and RTJ2 are insane.  

I assume that you are referencing El-P's diss of Sole on "Linda Tripp."  His use of the audio of Sole saying "I wanna be down" and "No, I don't think you sound very scared" after Sole released his El-P diss is pretty hilarious.  
x2.  His first album is underrated af.  Love the new sound he brought to the game.  His MC skills/delivery have something to be desired but the lyrics and beats were always there.  

I disagree here.  He didn't come in as anyone's protege in '95/'96.  In fact, he was barely even allowed to keep his feature with Biggie on his LP due to record industry politics.  He was in the game for a looong time trying to get signed.  I don't ever remember him being touted as a Biggie protege.  It certainly helped a lot that he had big name features with Mary J and Foxy though.
I don't think he was a Biggie protege. He was a fast rapper with Hawaiian shirts, as Nas would have us so eloquently remember. 

I don't think he was a Biggie protege. He was a fast rapper with Hawaiian shirts, as Nas would have us so eloquently remember. 
Yep, Jay and BIG were both from Brooklyn and that's about it.  This was Jay's protege before he left his partner in the dust:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K1thvEtGM5M

Reasonable Doubt gained more clout as it aged and Jay Z's star rose.  At the time, it wasn't being touted as some 5 mic classic.  I don't think I listened to the entire album until 2000 or so.  

El-P's Accidents Don't Happen is still my #####.   Produced in 2002 and still makes me wanna smack the taste out of someone's mouth:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ffZTr4_cdIk
The unlistenable adjective thrown out before really applies to that one.

I get how someone can like it.  I dig some punk and metal and stuff that is painful to listen to sometimes.  But I can also understand how someone can say that it isn't even music. 

I believe the phrase "what the #### is a jay-z?" was uttered by Puffy when they were trying to get Bad Boy's permission to include that song on RD.

yo who is this dude G Easy. my chick put his video on last night I mean It and was all like "look how handsome he is." for real who is that dude and why is he so confident

yo who is this dude G Easy. my chick put his video on last night I mean It and was all like "look how handsome he is." for real who is that dude and why is he so confident
You should check out the YouTube video on how he gets his haircut. Maybe your girl would get extra hot for you. It's actually a super trendy cut all the white boys are asking for these days. No schtick.

New rap confuses me, and I've avoided it for a while as a result, but holy wow I am digging Czarface.... hard. I'm fairly certain it's all in going to listen to for the rest of the week
New Czarface out.  Not revolutionary but delivers what it promises, so I am pretty pleased.

Long Ball Larry said:
New Czarface out.  Not revolutionary but delivers what it promises, so I am pretty pleased.
When i noticed this thread was bumped I was planning on posting about it!  I've only heard the first few songs so far, but it is the same ole, same ole from them... which I friggin LOVE!

• Smile
Reactions: Neo
New Cole out today. Anybody who is listening this weekend give some opinions. I'll grab it at some point, just too busy a weekend to digest a new album for me.

New Cole out today. Anybody who is listening this weekend give some opinions. I'll grab it at some point, just too busy a weekend to digest a new album for me.
Meh.  I gave the new J. Cole album a couple listens through today, and I'm really not feeling it.  The entire album feels like a slow, boring R&B song, in my opinion.  One song is literally about folding laundry and drinking almond milk.  I think the best tracks are probably "Immortal" and "Neighbors," but I can't see either making it on my Dope Modern Rap playlist.  I'm sure it will probably get some critical respect as a unique concept album rapping about love, but it's really not up my alley.  

El-P's Soundbombing work from 1999 might have been his best ever. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KZ4j5EV2hU0&t=20s
Soundbombing 2 is probably the best mixtape/compilation album ever created. 

Speaking of old mixtapes, here is an hour mix from DJ Riz's show on WNYU back in the day. 

This one is special. While Stretch and Bob rightfully got a lot of glory, they were not the only game in town. Coincidently across town also on Thursday night broadcasting from NYU campus was Martin Moore and "Club 89". Co-hosted by DJ Riz and Mayhem it was heavy on the same exclusives and freestyles, due to their earlier slot they tended to refrain from some of the more vulgar language on air in exchange for unedited songs. This 2 sides on one video has Cella Dwella freestyles, interviews. The midpoint contains a blend section that is a gem of the underrated hip hop art.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ogmxTXdQsk8&feature=youtu.be

Last edited by a moderator:

Users who are viewing this thread