What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

*** Official Witcher 3 Wild Hunt Thread *** (1 Viewer)

I'm out of town until Saturday. I ask you fine people to please help me out and use the spolier tab liberally.

Last edited by a moderator:
Talking to a buddy, he said the controls seem to be a bit touchy but adjusting the sensitivity will help.

Going through the tutorial, and yeah for me the controls need to be adjusted. Spinning around with the slightest mouse movement. Longish cut scenes but cool as hell. Playing on "Story and sword"

Really like the story and tutorial so far. New controls and 3rd person view will take some getting used to. Not crazy that his name is Geralt of Rivia because it reminds me of Geraldo Rivera. Maybe it sounds like that when you say it out loud. Geralt of Rivia. Geraldo Rivera. So distracting. Do yourself a huge favor and do NOT think of Geraldo Rivera.

I take it the first area is instanced? I started walking out a bit and hit an invisible wall.

I've never played this series. Like the whole Gunslinger feel to it.

Should be a blast.

Really like the story and tutorial so far. New controls and 3rd person view will take some getting used to. Not crazy that his name is Geralt of Rivia because it reminds me of Geraldo Rivera. Maybe it sounds like that when you say it out loud. Geralt of Rivia. Geraldo Rivera. So distracting. Do yourself a huge favor and do NOT think of Geraldo Rivera.
Hahahahaha. Thank you, your post definitely has me NOT thinking about a TV host/reporter as a monster hunting super human.

I like ongoing reviews. What are you two giving it out of 10 so far?
I give the tutorial and the what appears to be a very small prologue area a 9 out of 10.

:shrug:

only played an hour or two.

Some of the minor complaints that appear in the reviews are well founded. The inventory setup is going to be a nightmare as you accumulate garbage. I found traversing some terrain to be a little annoying (trying to go over small cliffs, fences, etc. was annoying at times).

Lots of quests even in the prologue area. Did a witcher quest, died. Read read some Intel in the bestiary notes and made quick work of the ghost the second time around.

Would love to hear a contrast/comparison to Skyrim after people have given it some time, and the 'new love' symptoms have waned. Trust you all more than the online reviewers by a long shot.

A little PSA that I read:

If you want to do the story missions in the first city area, do not kill the main ***monster*** until you've done the ones you want. Once you kill it and go to the tavern after, you fail them all and can't go back to finish them up.

It's a Griffin.

Would love to hear a contrast/comparison to Skyrim after people have given it some time, and the 'new love' symptoms have waned. Trust you all more than the online reviewers by a long shot.
I think all my responses will be comparison to Skyrim. I'm not really much of a gamer (FO3, New Vegas, Skyrim, Watchdogs, and this are it for me).

Which brings me to combat. W3 has a lot of cool moves: pary, dodge, block, quick attack, strong attack, spells, bombs. I'll need to customize the keyboard controls for these partly because they're non-intuitive and difficult to rmember what does which (although I'm still a mere few hours in) - but still much better than Skyrim's click-to-slash (I rarely use shields). That being said, in Witcher I find myself devolving into repeatedly fast-attacking in the heat of a battle. Or as the teenager puts it "Dude, you suck".

Also, witcher-sense is a fun mode. Dialogue has been interesting. Side missions are fun so far.

Personally, not a fan of 3rd person only view but that may change.

8.5 / 10 for me so far.

I never played any of these games because I assumed it was about some wimpy mage (i.e. "witchy") guy. I just read what it's really about and I've been missing out. :sadbanana:

I only played for about 90 minutes last night. I really like it so far. I'm wandering around near the first town picking berries, killing dogs and looking for side quests. So fun, very much like Skyrim in that manner, but with much more depth.

I think all my responses will be comparison to Skyrim. I'm not really much of a gamer (FO3, New Vegas, Skyrim, Watchdogs, and this are it for me).

Which brings me to combat. W3 has a lot of cool moves: pary, dodge, block, quick attack, strong attack, spells, bombs. I'll need to customize the keyboard controls for these partly because they're non-intuitive and difficult to rmember what does which (although I'm still a mere few hours in) - but still much better than Skyrim's click-to-slash (I rarely use shields). That being said, in Witcher I find myself devolving into repeatedly fast-attacking in the heat of a battle. Or as the teenager puts it "Dude, you suck".

Also, witcher-sense is a fun mode. Dialogue has been interesting. Side missions are fun so far.

Personally, not a fan of 3rd person only view but that may change.

8.5 / 10 for me so far.
:bag:

I am a whirling dervish of button mashing.

I can't put my finger on it yet, but something with movement is annoying. Maybe its the third-person viewpoint. dunno.

I finished the starter area, but left some areas unexplored. Map seemed to open up after you complete what seems like the prologue. The first area seemed VERY instanced (I banged up against the edges numerous times). Killed any sort of immersion.

It is fun and appears to be pretty deep, but I haven't had a WOW moment yet.

Really just a black dot post.

Am in the first area/town. So far, I like it a lot. It'll take some time to get used to the combat / controls / options, but the feeling I'm getting is "juuust deep enough" - you will need to learn things, but it's not overwhelming, either.

Will hopefully get some good gaming time in tonight / tomorrow night.

Sounds like I still need to see you guys get deeper into the game but when you do, please talk about the following

A) how long and how often are the cut scenes?

B) do you feel like you can significantly veer off the main story and still have plenty to do?

C) how is the character building? Are there enough options that allow for different play styles?

Spent some time last night buying, selling, crafting, and tearing down items. I have no doubt I bought some things I'll find laying around, and probably sold and broke down some priceless object I'll need for a quest but it was a lot of fun digging into it. Also did some swimming, diving, exploring, surfacing that played well. Feel kind of bad helping out a poor villager on hard times only to rob him blind as well but hey it's a cold world. Still not crazy that I'm not playing as me - but if I can't be me Geralt is a pretty cool person to play.

To answer your A) question NewlyRetired, for me (skyrim player) there is an astonishingly high number of cut scenes, thought they are very short and very good. I think Just about every quest (and many times throughout the quest) has them so far. I had to stop taking a drink during cut scenes.

To answer your A) question NewlyRetired, for me (skyrim player) there is an astonishingly high number of cut scenes, thought they are very short and very good. I think Just about every quest (and many times throughout the quest) has them so far. I had to stop taking a drink during cut scenes.
Thanks!

That scares me a bit as I find cut scenes to really kill the flow of a game.

Do you know if they are skippable?

Thanks!

That scares me a bit as I find cut scenes to really kill the flow of a game.

Do you know if they are skippable?
Yes, you can fast forward through them (on Xbox its X button)

Sounds like I still need to see you guys get deeper into the game but when you do, please talk about the following

A) how long and how often are the cut scenes?

B) do you feel like you can significantly veer off the main story and still have plenty to do?

C) how is the character building? Are there enough options that allow for different play styles?
A) Many of the cut scenes seem to be brief, and related to dialog. I suspect true cut scenes will lessen as I progress.

B) Still in the first town / area, so don't really know. So far, it seems to be more like "look at the quest board" and "find a hidden cache" than "stumble onto a big dungeon". But again, still in the first area.

C) It looks to be deep. It's always going to be "some" swordplay, but looking at the skill trees, you can choose to become better at swords, more of a marksman, maybe a potion-maker with stronger signs (spells), etc.

Some additional info:

Crafting and potion-making look very detailed.

Interesting card game.

Geralt is a fun character to play. Witchers are pretty awesome.

A little PSA that I read:

If you want to do the story missions in the first city area, do not kill the main ***monster*** until you've done the ones you want. Once you kill it and go to the tavern after, you fail them all and can't go back to finish them up.

It's a Griffin.
Also be careful, if you advance to the 2nd area, like I did, you are now a lower level than recommended and those quests that you failed would have given some valuable XP. I've been grinding out lower level monsters to level up.

I've finally created a sword and it's about 12-14 levels higher than I can currently use. Really hope if I lug this thing around for 12 levels it won't be obsolete by the time I can equip it. Also racking up a lot of quests that are several levels higher than me. I'm perfectly fine hunting low monsters and bandits and playing Gwent (getting addicted to Gwent). Odd how you have to go all the way out to the main menu to do anything with your Gwent decks.

Learned how to destroy a monster nest. Also learned to STEP AWAY from the monster when nest when you're destroying it.

Love the seamless transition between indoor and outdoor - very cool. Hate the 3rd person view - several times I can't even see what's going on when there's a branch or something on this side of Geralt.

This is quickly becoming the best game I've ever played. No ####. As far as pure fun and enjoyment it tops Skyrim, Super Tecmo Bowl, Mechassault, and others that are way up on my list.

I only played for about 90 minutes last night. I really like it so far. I'm wandering around near the first town picking berries, killing dogs and looking for side quests. So fun, very much like Skyrim in that manner, but with much more depth.
I definitely get a similar vibe as skyrim as well which is a great sign. :thumbup:

JerseyToughGuys said:
I can't put my finger on it yet, but something with movement is annoying. Maybe its the third-person viewpoint. dunno.

I finished the starter area, but left some areas unexplored. Map seemed to open up after you complete what seems like the prologue. The first area seemed VERY instanced (I banged up against the edges numerous times). Killed any sort of immersion.

It is fun and appears to be pretty deep, but I haven't had a WOW moment yet.
The movement is a little squirrelly. For example, you can spin around and do a 180 on your horse without moving or leaving your physical space at all. It feels unnatural. I'm sure I will get used to it but it's a little annoying at the moment.

So is it a game you could play with a 10 year old in the room (not letting the 10 year old play the game mind you), but just in the room.

After going a bit with no one to play Gwent, I stumbled upon three together last night, made some decent coin and won a special card (a spy) which is one of the best cards I have so far. It's good to play a hand or two at low wager to size up the deck of your opponent and then decide to continue at higher bets. Really wish you could play back to back games without going out and engaging in the dialogue.

Played a bit as Ciri too, excessive cut scenes, but a new interesting monster added to the bestiary.

Would love a comparison to skyrim in general. Third person is obvious, but is it all fetch and dungeon clearing or? Story? Etc?

Would love a comparison to skyrim in general. Third person is obvious, but is it all fetch and dungeon clearing or? Story? Etc?
A couple of differences: in addition to 3rd person, you're playing Geralt the Witcher, period. Not yourself or any of unlimited character builds based on several different classes. No big gay orc, no sneaky assassin, etc. It's also not true open world, imo. Skyrim has very simple combat - click to execute what you have equipped (weapon, spell,etc). W3 is more complex, difficult, and entertaining imo. The story is more compelling and important in W3 imo. I'm just a short way into the game but I can easily imagine seeing it through to the end. In Skyrim you can easily brush off the gray beards and get back to them in roughly never. Skyrim has several guilds with their own quest lines and I don't see anything yet like that in W3.

A couple of differences: in addition to 3rd person, you're playing Geralt the Witcher, period. Not yourself or any of unlimited character builds based on several different classes. No big gay orc, no sneaky assassin, etc. It's also not true open world, imo. Skyrim has very simple combat - click to execute what you have equipped (weapon, spell,etc). W3 is more complex, difficult, and entertaining imo. The story is more compelling and important in W3 imo. I'm just a short way into the game but I can easily imagine seeing it through to the end. In Skyrim you can easily brush off the gray beards and get back to them in roughly never. Skyrim has several guilds with their own quest lines and I don't see anything yet like that in W3.
Yea, this isn't going to be a "do whatever you want for fifty hours" game. Even a short ways in, that's very clear to me.

You *can* veer off the main quest and go do other things / explore, but they aren't quite the same scope as Skyrim. In Skyrim, in addition the above-mentioned guilds, you came across all kinds of large dungeons you could explore. I haven't seen that so far in W3. There are places to explore, but it's more like bandit camps, a power stone guarded by a monster, etc. There's a lot of it, mind you, but the "extra stuff" is much smaller / easier than Skyrim. So far, anyway.

The sidequests are fun, typically involving a few steps. Very few straight "fetches".

The character building is pretty deep, but it's almost all related to how you handle combat (much moreso than Skyrim).

To me, in how the world is crafted, this game is closer to the Dragon Age games than Skyrim. There's no "party", of course, the world is bigger and (much) better, and the combat is better too, but if one is looking for a comparison, there it is.

It sounds like I'm down on it, but I'm not. The Witcher 3 is fantastic. I'm really enjoying it. If you like RPG's, it's a safe buy.

Users who are viewing this thread