What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

*** Official Witcher 3 Wild Hunt Thread *** (1 Viewer)

For those at low level, you get tons of XP for doing the main quest. Very little XP for side quests.
Yea, side quests seem to be more for gear / ingredients / the occasional skill point. I tried to grind - not happening.

For those at low level, you get tons of XP for doing the main quest. Very little XP for side quests.
I'm fine with that personally. Most of my quests/contracts are for much higher level than I'm at so I ignore those, pick one for my level and proceed to mostly ignore it while I wander around, explore, kill stuff, and look for traders and gwent players.

They need some sort of warning before you start a quest you aren't leveled up enough for. I was just wandering around a city and started a quest based on a conversation with a blacksmith. 10 minutes and three checkpoints later I'm ambushed by several dwarves who can kill me in one hit and are impervious to my attacks. Now I have to find a much earlier save :rant:

How the heck do you level up in this game? Only the main quest and side quests? Im in Velen and only level 4. I played for three hours today and barely got anything done. The ?s i goto all have enemies at level 9 so hard to accomplish them. Most of the side quests are MUCH higher than my level. So basically Im stuck doing the main quest for now until I level up?

How the heck do you level up in this game? Only the main quest and side quests? Im in Velen and only level 4. I played for three hours today and barely got anything done. The ?s i goto all have enemies at level 9 so hard to accomplish them. Most of the side quests are MUCH higher than my level. So basically Im stuck doing the main quest for now until I level up?
This is why I say it's not a true open world game.

Yea, there are definitely places you don't belong. And the game is different in that the side quests give very little experience (so far anyway - I'm level 10).

That said, the quests are excellent, and very different.

Yea, there are definitely places you don't belong. And the game is different in that the side quests give very little experience (so far anyway - I'm level 10).

That said, the quests are excellent, and very different.
And some of the side quests are hilarious. Often Geralt us saying exactly what I'm thinking at the time "Um, ok, I've never done a frying pan quest", "Do I really have to ring this stupid bell?" ...

I picked this up late last week, and I'm having a slightly hard time getting into it. I like that it doesn't hold your hand, but it throws an awful lot at you all at once in terms of alchemy, the inventory, combat, etc.

Anybody have any suggestions on what I should prioritize when I level up? I'm only at level 3, but I haven't spent any of my points yet since I wasn't sure what's good and what's not.

I picked this up late last week, and I'm having a slightly hard time getting into it. I like that it doesn't hold your hand, but it throws an awful lot at you all at once in terms of alchemy, the inventory, combat, etc.

Anybody have any suggestions on what I should prioritize when I level up? I'm only at level 3, but I haven't spent any of my points yet since I wasn't sure what's good and what's not.
Remember that you not only have to choose a skill, but you have to equip it to work. And the equip slots open as you level as well. This means you shouldn't "waste" skill points by choosing more skills than you can equip.

In other words, say you have two skill equip slots open, and three skill points to spend. Instead of picking a light attack skill, a crossbow skill, and a sign skill, you'd pick 2 of those three, and then spend your third point going one deeper in one of them. There are only 12 skill equip slots total, so it forces you to go deep instead of wide.

To start, I would go deeper in your favorite type of attack (light or heavy), and your favorite sign (they are all useful - I'm liking the shield a lot, especially now that I got it to heal), and then whatever you want. You'll end up with points in probably 2 or 3 branches from each tree.

As far as crafting, start looking at the potions and bombs. See what you need to make Cat and Tawny Owl, and get to making them - that will go a long way in understanding how it works. Plus, once you make a potion, you automatically "refill" them as long as you have alcohol (you never have to "craft" it again).

It's actually pretty cool and intuitive once you "get" it.

Thanks. I didn't even realize that equip slots existed, and I thought I had re-make potions every time I used one, which is why I've been harvesting damn near every plant I come across. I just need to spend more uninterrupted time with this.

BTW there are some content downloads available for free that I wouldn't have known about unless I read it online. Couple of extra armor sets, etc.

Could somebody explain what happened in the Tower Full of Mice quest?

I went to the Tower Full of Mice quest and I when I first did it I got locked inside and then I was attacked by the ghost thing and was killed. I restarted and then this wasn't triggered the second time.I ended up going back to that characters boyfriends place and left. The ghost then killed him. What happened???
Not sure. I went through it the second way (completing the full mission to release / save the soul)

The Bloody Baron quest line ends with an interesting twist (depending on one particular choice you make). I will spoiler the trigger I guess:

The choice hinged on what you did with the demon / soul trapped under the tree. I chose to free it and there were consequences. I can't see replying this, but I am curious what the other side of the coin would have entailed.

Last edited by a moderator:
Finally killed the griffin, and now I see that that whole area was basically a tutorial. No wonder it wasn't really clicking. Starting to get it now.

The Bloody Baron quest line ends with an interesting twist (depending on one particular choice you make). I will spoiler the trigger I guess:

The choice hinged on what you did with the demon / soul trapped under the tree. I chose to free it and there were consequences. I can't see replying this, but I am curious what the other side of the coin would have entailed.
If the tag wasn't obvious, this is a major quest spoiler

The spirit under the tree is the soul of the fourth crone and I believe the mother of the three other crones. She used to rule over Velen and was overthrown and killed by the remaining crones. Releasing her cause her to take vengeance on Velen including causing the Bloody Baron to kill himself.

Destroying the spirit allows you to reunite the Baron with his wife and for him to attempt to help her recover. Saving both of their lives.

In both of those scenarios the fate of the daughter seems independent, I've been unable to get her to abandon the Eternal Flame, but I've heard you can get her to go back to her father.

Is this after I turn the baby into a Luberkin?
Yes.

If the tag wasn't obvious, this is a major quest spoiler

The spirit under the tree is the soul of the fourth crone and I believe the mother of the three other crones. She used to rule over Velen and was overthrown and killed by the remaining crones. Releasing her cause her to take vengeance on Velen including causing the Bloody Baron to kill himself.

Destroying the spirit allows you to reunite the Baron with his wife and for him to attempt to help her recover. Saving both of their lives.

In both of those scenarios the fate of the daughter seems independent, I've been unable to get her to abandon the Eternal Flame, but I've heard you can get her to go back to her father.
is your spoiler going to ruin a second play through for me? lol, this is going to be tricky.

If the tag wasn't obvious, this is a major quest spoilerThe spirit under the tree is the soul of the fourth crone and I believe the mother of the three other crones. She used to rule over Velen and was overthrown and killed by the remaining crones. Releasing her cause her to take vengeance on Velen including causing the Bloody Baron to kill himself.

is your spoiler going to ruin a second play through for me? lol, this is going to be tricky.

Well, it's some backstory and one of the alternative outcomes that you didn't get.

So far I've run into 2 different Succubus, as far as I can tell you can bang neither.

CDPR, why you do this to me?

Been itching to get started on this game for a few weeks, but work is a ##### and didn't get started until two nights ago. Finished the first area and just got started in Velen.

Holy #### I like this game. Sure, not quite Skyrim where I feel I could spend 100 hours just blacksmithing ####, but the main story line in this game blows any other RPG out of the water so far. Hope it keeps up.

The character building is tough too. Much tougher than Skyrim or Dragon Age. Feels like you really need to think your character out before spending any points.

I also am a big fan of the many different monsters I've found so far. Sure there are a lot of drowners and bandits, but there is definitely a wide scope of creatures. Got killed last night by a water hag with one hit. Gonna wait awhile to level before I go back and show that ##### who's boss.

Also, are you guys really lamenting the lack of animated sex scenes?! :P

Anyone else screw up and build some sick armor only to find out you can't wear it for quite a few levels? :bag:
Yes. Then I realized that they all said what level they were for right there on the build screen and felt like an idiot. Worst is the armor I built was for a level 21 and I'm only level 6, so I sold it back. No way I'm lugging around 5 pounds worth of armor for the next 40 hours of gameplay.

Character building is fun.

I'm building out two signs - the shield, and the brainwash one. Combat = see enemies, get up shield. Wait for stamina to return, and brainwash one enemy to be your ally. Dive in / carnage / heal shield when needed. Back off, rinse/repeat.

Good times.

Was there any way to bang the chick from the bath tub early in the game? She was hot.
I keep going back to her cabin with high expectations, especially after I did nonsense errands for her. But alas, zip nada zilch.
The blonde? Name is Kiera I think, I did her quest line and banged her at some point.
Yep. End up chasing her down to some body of water and then you bang her and she leaves while you're asleep which is perfect.

I mentioned earlier that this game wasn't clicking for me. Well, I sat down yesterday around 8:00 am to play, having just finished the tutorial area the previous evening, and I would up playing almost continuously until 9:30 pm, with only meal breaks stuck in there. I guess that means it clicked.

The combat is pretty so-so, but the storylines are a lot of fun. The conclusion of quest with the orphanage in the woods was almost worth the price of the game itself. Like Bucky, I killed the tree and loved the outcome when I went back to the orphanage.

Also, Gwent is hands-down the best game-within-a-game I've encountered. If you watched me play W3, you'd think it was about an aspiring Gwent player who occasionally had to kill a monster because it was standing between him and an innkeeper two towns over who might have a worthwhile card to sell. The AI is really easy to beat at this point, and my deck is grossly overpowered for almost everybody I encounter. The only person I haven't been able to beat is the woman who hangs out with the master armorer, because she has a stacked monster deck that completely overwhelms me when it starts summoning in helpers. I'm sure the end of the main storyline will involve my plucky underdog character finally beating her when I really need to, and her telling her goons "Pay that man his money" a la Teddy KGB. Maybe they'll be a dragon or something mixed in there along the way, but she's obviously the main villain in the game.

I mentioned earlier that this game wasn't clicking for me. Well, I sat down yesterday around 8:00 am to play, having just finished the tutorial area the previous evening, and I would up playing almost continuously until 9:30 pm, with only meal breaks stuck in there. I guess that means it clicked.

The combat is pretty so-so, but the storylines are a lot of fun. The conclusion of quest with the orphanage in the woods was almost worth the price of the game itself. Like Bucky, I killed the tree and loved the outcome when I went back to the orphanage.

Also, Gwent is hands-down the best game-within-a-game I've encountered. If you watched me play W3, you'd think it was about an aspiring Gwent player who occasionally had to kill a monster because it was standing between him and an innkeeper two towns over who might have a worthwhile card to sell. The AI is really easy to beat at this point, and my deck is grossly overpowered for almost everybody I encounter. The only person I haven't been able to beat is the woman who hangs out with the master armorer, because she has a stacked monster deck that completely overwhelms me when it starts summoning in helpers. I'm sure the end of the main storyline will involve my plucky underdog character finally beating her when I really need to, and her telling her goons "Pay that man his money" a la Teddy KGB. Maybe they'll be a dragon or something mixed in there along the way, but she's obviously the main villain in the game.
Load your deck with as many frost cards as you can before the match as you ideally want to have 1 or 2 as the vast majority of her cards are up close. I use the northern realm deck with the leader that gets rid of any elemental powers and got her on the 3rd or 4th try.

Load your deck with as many frost cards as you can before the match as you ideally want to have 1 or 2 as the vast majority of her cards are up close. I use the northern realm deck with the leader that gets rid of any elemental powers and got her on the 3rd or 4th try.
That's a good idea, I don't normally use weather cards -- all the opponents seem to rely heavily on them, and I just the pull the rug out with the same leader card you're referring to. But yeah, now that I think about it, your description of her deck is right and she would get wrecked by whatever weather card wipes out the front row.

damn, now I am curious. Might have to read the spoiler now.

I like Gwent too. Ventured too far into Novigrad and played a pawnshop owner who put something insane like 90 points on the board in the first round with just a few cards. I decided I needed to find a much better deck before I play with the pros.

Character building is fun.

I'm building out two signs - the shield, and the brainwash one. Combat = see enemies, get up shield. Wait for stamina to return, and brainwash one enemy to be your ally. Dive in / carnage / heal shield when needed. Back off, rinse/repeat.

Good times.
Thanks for the advice on this. I just started to build up the brainwash one. I never used it in combat before, but I like stunning them and then getting a nice critical hit on them while they're dazed. Cant wait to get them to be my ally during a fight.
It's pretty cool, and useful for crowd control (it usually takes two guys out of the fight for about 10 seconds - one usually dies too.)

Just make sure to hold down the trigger to brainwash (otherwise, you'll just do the stun attack). That's something I had to get used to - when you choose that second tier, it doesn't *upgrade* the skill - it's a whole new skill.

What I've noticed is that Axii is actually pretty poor for crowd control compared to Aard. It seems like Axii is more designed for its augmented mode.

Aard is inherently a cone shaped area of effect, giving much more coverage than Axii. The trade off is Axii guarantees a stun (provided they aren't over your level or resistant) to a single target and Aard has a chance to stun, knockback and knockdown. You then increase its range and cone size until finally its a full 360 player centered sphere AOE.

Stuns and knockbacks are comparable in duration to a short Axii, but a knockdown is the same as a long Axii I believe. The added benefit of a knockdown is you can execute grounded enemies.

Signs are all really good, the only one I haven't really dabbled with is Yrden alternate. It might be good.

Fun game. They did a really nice job with Novigrad. It feels like an Assassins Creed city. But I wish you could climb a little (and get chased like in AC).

Neat detail discovered last night: I finished a quest with Diijkstra, I followed him (long story). He and his crew actually walked all the way back to his HQ.

I have about a dozen quests active. It's hard to stay focused.

Question: do you have to be careful not to advance the main quests too far? Is some of the content going to be too easy if I level up before I get to it all? I think I am around Level 12 right now. I left a lot of things undiscovered in Velen.

I am going to have to break down and wiki how to get a bigger backpack / saddle bag. Constantly being over encumbered is annoying. And with the crappy inventory system, it is hard to tell what to keep and what to sell / breakdown.

Ok so somebody above said its stupid to go wide on the skill trees, its better to go deep. But you cant open the 2nd level of the skills tree without going wide, right? It says 8 skill points in that branch requires to open the second level.

Ok so somebody above said its stupid to go wide on the skill trees, its better to go deep. But you cant open the 2nd level of the skills tree without going wide, right? It says 8 skill points in that branch requires to open the second level.
I said that, but yea, once you need to, branch out.

What I meant was don't take skills you can't equip (like I did in the very beginning)

What I meant was don't take skills you can't equip (like I did in the very beginning)
thanks. Yeah Im not a big fan of this system. I dont get the excitement in leveling up like I did in Skyrim.

thanks. Yeah Im not a big fan of this system. I dont get the excitement in leveling up like I did in Skyrim.
I like them both - Skyrim eventually allowed you to really get good at a ton of stuff. Here, you won't be.

But yes, I agree - leveling up is not as rewarding.

Users who are viewing this thread