What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

RB Derrick Henry, BAL (5 Viewers)

FWIW we still haven't seen that play they used all summer in games and practices where the linemen and Jonnu get in front of Henry and run up the sideline. It probably averaged 30-40 yards per carry.

In week one, Henry was lined up wide several times as the only WR on one side. Robiske did say Mariota missed him a couple times and I could see Jonnu was wide open when he forced it to Decker. Jonnu did very well blocking on a number of Henry runs today.

Ya gotta watch those two when they're in the game. Smith is a fast excellent blocker and something is usually up

Derrick Henry saw 8+ defenders in the box 71% of the time today (most of any RB). He still averaged 6.6 yards per rush attempt (2nd best).

Too late to sell Murray. 
I was super high on Henry going into the year.

It was part ability, and part "Murray injury risk". I was last year as well, but more so this season since we are a year further down the track with Murray.   Looks like the days of Henry having more than just a token amount of standalone value may be upon us....or will be very soon.

Ended up getting him in 3/4 leagues, and passed on him late in my 4th, instead choosing to diversify a little.  I know much of yesterdays result was game script, but the above sounds very encouraging.

:excited:

TZM

Tackling Dummies said:
Derrick Henry is averaging 4.1 yds after contact on 20 carries (3rd)

DeMarco Murray is averaging 1.9 yds after contact on 21 carries (39th)
Murray is also dealing with a lingering hammy injury too, so take it all with a grain of salt. 

Murray is also dealing with a lingering hammy injury too, so take it all with a grain of salt. 
Derrick Henry has more yards per carry, rushing yards, and rushing touchdowns than DeMarco Murray in the Titans' last 5 games. Not with a grain of salt. 

Derrick Henry has more yards per carry, rushing yards, and rushing touchdowns than DeMarco Murray in the Titans' last 5 games. Not with a grain of salt. 
Stats aren't meant to be taken in a vacuum. Much of that has to do with game flow, nagging injuries, and simple game usage as well. 

the coach just re-stated murray is still the starter, and it seems as long as murray is active he's going to get most of these carries. 

the coach just re-stated murray is still the starter, and it seems as long as murray is active he's going to get most of these carries. 
Unless he either get's hurt (can't predict that) or his production diminishes. 

Henry owners (I am one of them) will have to be patient.

Henry's status was just changed to questionable on yahoo. Not sure if that pulls from actual injury reports. Hadn't heard he got banged up.

There's no upside in the HC saying Murray has been demoted. Watch what these head coaches do and ignore what they say.

Nothing mentioned during the presser.

Injury reports are due Wednesday

That's someone winging it. Which can be useful for FF if a guy gets knocked out of a game, do you need to wait til Wednesday? Anyway, I would guess he misheard some news on Murray and the hammies of he and Davis.

I dealt Henry and Golladay for Melvin Gordon last week and with Henry creeping up on that starting job and looking like a difference maker, I'm almost regretting it.

There's no upside in the HC saying Murray has been demoted. Watch what these head coaches do and ignore what they say.
in the opener murray basically got all of the work. in the 2nd game henry didnt play until murray got hurt.

my take is until murray is inactive, henry will at best be in a 50-50 timeshare, but more likely 60-40... with no passing work. worth waiting for, but as long as murray is active on gameday its difficult to expect big things from henry on a consistent basis... this coach is not going to banish a healthy murray to the bench

Last edited by a moderator:
I dealt Henry and Golladay for Melvin Gordon last week and with Henry creeping up on that starting job and looking like a difference maker, I'm almost regretting it.
You traded a handcuff and a back up WR for an everydown RB? And you are complaining about it?

with no passing work. 

Henry is wayyy better in the passing game than most think. I'm not sure what people saw in college to make them think this, but way better. He has lined up as a WR on 10 plays this year already. He's very smooth grabbing screens and turning into his beast mode self after. After "our" issues with Sankey and Cobb picking up the blitz, it was great to see that it took him part of the first camp to do well. He regularly takes out DEs like a champ.

It's very odd how so many think he is deficient in the passing game here.

He deserves all the credit he can get. He knew he'd be a backup and improved every aspect of his game, got stronger, worked out with some all-time greats, filled in for the top back in preseason, and even got his college degree. If there ever was a perfect offseason, he did it.

in the opener murray basically got all of the work. in the 2nd game henry didnt play until murray got hurt.

my take is until murray is inactive, henry will at best be in a 50-50 timeshare, but more likely 60-40... with no passing work. worth waiting for, but as long as murray is active on gameday its difficult to expect big things from henry on a consistent basis... this coach is not going to banish a healthy murray to the bench
Why do people think Henry can't catch passes? It's such a misconception.

Why do people think Henry can't catch passes? It's such a misconception.
I made no claims on Henry's ability to catch passes, i simply stated my opinion of henry's expected use if murray is healthy.... btw, thus far murray has 4 targets and henry has zero.

Why are so many adding the caveat "when/if Murray is healthy" as if it's a forgone conclusion? The dude is NOT healthy. That's an established fact for the foundation of this current debate. He had hammy issues in preseason and the same hammy just kept him outta 3/4 of a game. It's extremely unlikely that the dude gets healthy while playing, so he's gonna have to take time off (1, 2, 3? games) and the question is: Will Henry claim the lead role in those games? Will he show he is no longer a backup? Will the team realize what they have and relegate Murray to a backup/passing role? 

It remains to be seen but that's my bet (and I have both guys so I have both horses in the race). 

Even if Murray doesn't play, i've seen this movie before many times. Much-vaunted backup gets shot and stinks the joint up. Who was the guy on Buffalo who rampaged all over a team in week 3 late in the game, McCoy got dinged and missed maybe week 4 and he started, only to be absolutely hopeless? Think it was against the Giants. Checked, it was week 4 of 2015, Karlos Williams. 18 carries for 40 yards, he ploughed the Dolphins for 110/1 on 12 carries the week before. Dunno what my point is now...maybe just temper expectations a bit ;-)

Even if Murray doesn't play, i've seen this movie before many times. Much-vaunted backup gets shot and stinks the joint up. Who was the guy on Buffalo who rampaged all over a team in week 3 late in the game, McCoy got dinged and missed maybe week 4 and he started, only to be absolutely hopeless? Think it was against the Giants. Checked, it was week 4 of 2015, Karlos Williams. 18 carries for 40 yards, he ploughed the Dolphins for 110/1 on 12 carries the week before. Dunno what my point is now...maybe just temper expectations a bit ;-)
Comparing a Heisman Winner athletic freak to Karlos Williams. Come on man.

This is just... dumb. To make this statement, you must know next to nothing about Derrick Henry. 

This is just... dumb. To make this statement, you must know next to nothing about Derrick Henry. 
You're right, I know next to nothing about Derrick Henry. You know him personally or something? Jeez, it was a light-hearted message intended to compare a recent-ish scenario of backups taking over and expectations getting too high. Not a direct comparison of the respective players. That would be dumb.

Yeah but you've also seen backups do well

Yeah, that's an awful comparison.

• Smile
Reactions: RBM
Perhaps you need to better explain yourself.
Ok. I made a comparison of recent scenarios where a backup RB was given a chance to start, leading to high expectations and proceeded to disappoint. I made the comment to temper expectations, many of these scenarios in the past have led to disappointment, though obviously not all. I picked one example that popped in my head, clearly it was a poor example given the type of responses I received. Either that or nobody read my post properly and just jumped on it. That's it, at no time did I make or intend or infer any kind of direct comparison between the 2 specific players. FWIW, I own the player on multiple teams and hope he's a huge success.

Ok. I made a comparison of recent scenarios where a backup RB was given a chance to start, leading to high expectations and proceeded to disappoint. I made the comment to temper expectations, many of these scenarios in the past have led to disappointment, though obviously not all. I picked one example that popped in my head, clearly it was a poor example given the type of responses I received. Either that or nobody read my post properly and just jumped on it. That's it, at no time did I make or intend or infer any kind of direct comparison between the 2 specific players. FWIW, I own the player on multiple teams and hope he's a huge success.
Ok, understood. 

Why are so many adding the caveat "when/if Murray is healthy" as if it's a forgone conclusion? The dude is NOT healthy. That's an established fact for the foundation of this current debate. He had hammy issues in preseason and the same hammy just kept him outta 3/4 of a game. It's extremely unlikely that the dude gets healthy while playing, so he's gonna have to take time off (1, 2, 3? games) and the question is: Will Henry claim the lead role in those games? Will he show he is no longer a backup? Will the team realize what they have and relegate Murray to a backup/passing role? 

It remains to be seen but that's my bet (and I have both guys so I have both horses in the race). 

If you were responding to @ATB then I understand your post, but he was the only one suggesting Henry may be taking over the lead role.

I think most of our expectations are, and have been, sufficiently tempered.

Speaking of expectations one example of player X being in situation Y is seldom a valid point of debate and typically generates the sort of response you received. 

Murray practiced in a limited role and Mularkey said "it doesn't matter who starts."

If ya want my experienced watching Mularkey type guess- Murray is sitting or a backup.

Titans to announce Sunday if Murray sits. Pasting quotes-

“He looked better today, he took more snaps,” Mularkey said of Murray. “He was limited but took more snaps.

“It’s the kind of injury where we’ll watch and see how he is when he wakes up (Sunday) morning. … We’ll talk it through. We’ve been pretty smart to this point, we’re not going to subject anybody to further injury.”

Asked on Friday if Henry might be the starter with Murray coming off the bench, Mularkey replied: “You’ll see Sunday.”

“I don’t think it matters,” Mularkey said. “They are both very good backs, I don’t think it matters who starts and who doesn’t. They are both very good backs who can be productive in this league.

According to ESPN Titans reporter Cameron Wolfe, Derrick Henry is expected to get a "significant workload" regardless of whether or not DeMarco Murray (questionable, shoulder) plays against the Seahawks in Week 3.

Choo choo 

According to ESPN Titans reporter Cameron Wolfe, Derrick Henry is expected to get a "significant workload" regardless of whether or not DeMarco Murray (questionable, shoulder) plays against the Seahawks in Week 3.

Choo choo 
I guess the same thing as he does. Especially since practices are closed and everything is a guess this year

Studying this NFL season's sloppy start; vital Week 3 questions

Excerpt:

WHEN will Derrick Henry replace DeMarco Murray as the Titans' bell cow? Murray's ongoing hamstring problems might open the door -- starting Sunday against Seattle -- for Henry, who isn't as nifty in the backfield, but can wear people out with his size (6-foot-3, 247 pounds), bounce outside with his long stride and close out games in the Titans' downhill rush attack. The allure of a younger, bigger, healthier back has been there from the tail end of last season, when Murray, now 29, was third in the NFL with 1,287 rushing yards and, in some scouts' minds, showed early signs of decline. "Even against Oakland, [Murray] looked like he was a little limited (by the hamstring). He wasn't opening up," said one scout who has broken down both Titans games. "But the way they were able to finish against Jacksonvillewith Henry (12 carries, 87 yards in the second half), I think it's going to be heavy Henry carries" in the short term. Will the second-year back take advantage of the opportunity?

Been watching Henry's rankings across sites and they are actually drifting LOWER.

Don't get it.

Routinely ranked after top 50 in PPR flex rankings.

Meanwhile, it's highly likely Murray sits, Henry gets all the touches, and faces a SEA run D that Hyde just ran right  through.

Strange.

Been watching Henry's rankings across sites and they are actually drifting LOWER.

Don't get it.

Routinely ranked after top 50 in PPR flex rankings.

Meanwhile, it's highly likely Murray sits, Henry gets all the touches, and faces a SEA run D that Hyde just ran right through.

Strange.
Very strange. Henry with ~20 touches is match-up proof in the mold of other elite RBs.

Users who are viewing this thread